3 Stocks to Short Right Now
They are Garmin (GRMN), Coinstar (CSTR) and Boston Beer Co. (SAM).
Let's kick it off with Garmin (GRMN).
Shares of GRMN are up 27% in the last 52 weeks. We believe the move up is not justified, since everyone with a smartphone has GPS these days. In their last earnings call, which was touted as "Garmin Has Good Quarter" , we think it was anything but a good quarter. They may need a small loan.
Garmin's first-quarter revenue of $556.6 million was down 38.8% sequentially on seasonality. The Auto/Mobile segment was down 51.8% sequentially and up 5.6% year over year. The increase from the year-ago quarter was driven by share gains in PNDs, stronger automotive sales and recognition of previously deferred revenue. However, pricing was stronger than the fourth quarter of 2010.
The only thing Garmin has going for them are their Outdoor, Fitness, and Marine segments. They are facing fierce competition and their PND business is in a secular decline.
If the market keeps falling, we think Garmin could easily drop back into the $30 range.
Over the past 12 months Garmin Ltd (GRMN) shares have traded between $29.23 and its 52-week high of $50.67. Garmin Ltd shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 17.2 and EPS of 2.63.
Coinstar (CSTR) is actually a stock we really like in the long term. However, shares are up 30% ytd and look to be on the verge of collapse. Looking for a quick drop to the lower $50's and then an exit of the trade.
Over the past 12 months Coinstar Inc (CSTR) shares have traded between $37.43 and its 52-week high of $69.74. Coinstar Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 12.5 and EPS of 4.65.
Shares of Boston Beer Co. (SAM) are flat YTD but up 27% in the past year. SAM is another company that we don't necessarily dislike, but presents opportunity to short as it trades near all time highs and has some overhead resistance. Shorts are already targeting the stock, as the float is currently 35% short. We're looking for a quick drop to $95 if the market cooperates. But beware of a short squeeze when trading SAM.
Over the past 12 months The Boston Beer Company Inc (SAM) shares have traded between $71 and its 52-week high of $115.49. The Boston Beer Company Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 21.2 and EPS of 5.09.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oil Breaks Below $80 | Financial Sense
- The European Central Bank Embarks on Asset Purchases | Financial Sense
- The Fed is Absolutely Terrified of Something… What Is It? | ZeroHedge
- Why Did Q3 GDP Jump: Thank ISIS And The "War On Terror" | ZeroHedge
- As Fed Pauses Printing, Total World Debt Tops $100 Trillion | ZeroHedge
- Is It About To Get Worse? Lakeland Hazmat Suit Orders Go Exponential, Surpass 1 Million | ZeroHedge
- Why '75' Is The Most Important Number For US Economic Hope | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Michael Jordan Talks Trash On Obama's Golf Game | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- This Might Be The Most Horrific Single Atrocity ISIS Has Committed | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- New York street harassment video goes viral | Business Insider
- Remember When A Hedge Fund Impounded Argentina's War Ship...... | Business Insider
- America's Path To Energy Independence In One Chart | Business Insider