Peabody Energy: I Want to Believe
Peabody Energy (BTU) shares continue to fall more on a weekly basis. Mastery favorite Patriot Coal (PCX) is bankrupt leaving its shareholders with nothing proving coal companies are an extremely risky investment.
Patriot Coal is the first U.S. coal producer to throw in the towel and declare bankruptcy. The 500 pound gorilla issue for coal companies is something cleaner, more abundant and cheaper - natural gas. Coal is no longer king, its domestic demand is at a 24-year low in the U.S.. Natural gas is the new king and its going to continue to pressure even the best U.S. coal companies like Peabody Energy (BTU). In 2012 Peabody shares are down 33%. It gets worse when you go back to April of last year when Peabody was trading around $72 a share. Fast forward to today's $22 share price and its a 70% decline for Peabody Energy since Spring of last year.
To put it bluntly, coal prices and demand has been punished and them some. Via Fool.com and according to the EIA’s Electric Power Monthly, 445 million megawatt-hours of energy were produced from burning coal in the first four months of 2012. In the first four months of 2011, coal was used to generate 568 million megawatt-hours, meaning one of the primary sources of domestic coal demand has fallen about 20% in one year. This decline was caused by a huge increase in U.S. natural gas production (source:fool.com).
MASTERY Bottom line:
Peabody shares may have yet to hit the bottom. Its going to get worse before it gets better for Peabody and its friends.
However its time to add this stock to your watch list after it hits a new 12 month low (only 7.5% to go). Peabody Energy also pays a 1.5% annual dividend and trades with a P/E ratio of 6.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap October 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- WHeRe IN THe WoRLD IS RoN KLaiN? | ZeroHedge
- A Glimpse Inside The FX "Cartel's" Chat Rooms | ZeroHedge
- China, Europe & Earnings at Home | Financial Sense
- These Five Stocks Are for Fighting AND for Fun | iBankCoin.com
- GDP Numbers Bear Out Fed Decision | Financial Sense
- Goldman Warns Midterm Elections Raise Risk Around Fiscal Deadlines | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Venezuela's Decision To Import Oil Is The Perfect Example Of Just How... | Business Insider
- EU, Ukraine must agree gas debt deal for talks to... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The Group That Everyone Thought Wanted To Destroy Apple Pay Has Changed Its Tune (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Steve Jobs On Departed Android Founder Andy Rubin: 'Big,... | Business Insider
- These Police Cars Are So Awesome You'll Want To Get Pulled Over | Business Insider
- George Lucas Explains How Hollywood Became So Brainless | Business Insider