Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- UBS Exposes The "Scary Reality" Of High Yield Energy | ZeroHedge
- American Enterprise in a Nutshell | ZeroHedge
- Why Your Portfolio Does Not Perform Like The Indices (In 1 Simple Chart) | ZeroHedge
- When Scary Headlines Don't Scare - Climbing The Wall Of Complacency | ZeroHedge
- Quantum Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Chess Vs Checkers - John Kerry Edition | ZeroHedge
- Blame The Fed For The Commodities Slump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Smartphone apps are making us more committed | Business Insider
- Obama blasts Mike Huckabee: He's trying to 'push Mr. Trump out... | Business Insider
- Fiat Chrysler says to pay record $90mn for recall lapses | Business Insider
- Chinese stocks are getting obliterated again — the worst day since 2007 | Business Insider
- SNL's Colin Jost says this is the biggest thing he needs to... | Business Insider
- Caddie who got fired in a middle of the round says his ex-boss lied about being... | Business Insider
- The ex-CEO of Bloomberg has joined the board of a startup people are calling '... | Business Insider