Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- That’s Some Serious Gourmet Follow-Through | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: July 30 | ZeroHedge
- Useful Idiots and the Something for Nothing Society - Part 2 of 4 | ZeroHedge
- LiaR IN The HoLe! | ZeroHedge
- Small Bombs Under $10 | iBankCoin.com
- French Housing "In Total Meltdown", "Current Figures Are Disastrous" | ZeroHedge
- Portugal Plunges To 9-Month Lows, Europe's VIX At 3-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Steven Cohen's Still Got It | Business Insider
- This App Creates A Digital Village To Raise A Child | Business Insider
- Congress Just Fixed A Crazy Law That Made Unlocking Your Cell Phone A Crime — But... | Business Insider
- STOCKS CRATER, DOW PLUNGES 300 POINTS: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, IWM,... | Business Insider
- Notable 52... | StreetInsider.com
- Ferrari And Maserati Are Bright Spots In Fiat's Disappointing Earnings... | Business Insider
- Britain Is Finally Set To Unleash Driverless Cars On Its Public Roads | Business Insider