Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Easy?! | Financial Sense
- Argentina’s Growing Dependency on Beijing | Financial Sense
- Asia Scholar Lays Out "Three Ways China And The US Could Go To War" | ZeroHedge
- China Stocks Crash, US Futures Flat Ahead Of More Greek Rumors | ZeroHedge
- Fukushima May Be At Risk Of Imminent "Hydrogen Explosion" | ZeroHedge
- Surplus Repression And The Self-Defeating Deep State | ZeroHedge
- All It Takes For Panic-Sellers To Become Manic-Buyers: One Made Up Rumor | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apps for the Apple Watch are about to get a lot better, and we're going to see a preview of it... | Business Insider
- This former... | Business Insider
- Watch 24-year-old chess champ Magnus Carlsen destroy 3 players simultaneously —... | Business Insider
- The 25 best energy companies to work for in America | Business Insider
- This tech CEO is doing something that's... | Business Insider
- Mary Meeker's stunning 2015 presentation on the state of the web | Business Insider
- An ex-HP exec reportedly paid millions for a private Rolling Stones show near San... | Business Insider