Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- IMF Drops Pledge To "Resist All Forms Of Protectionism" | ZeroHedge
- Stock Markets Sit Blithely On A Powerful Time Bomb | ZeroHedge
- Which Country Is America’s Biggest Enemy? | ZeroHedge
- 50,000 Police Monitor As 47 Million French Voters Decide The Fate Of Europe | ZeroHedge
- Measuring Hard and Soft Power in a Potential War With North Korea | Financial Sense
- China Update - Why Is the Consensus Now So Optimistic? | Financial Sense
- Risk Parity Lashes Out At Paul Tudor Jones' Apocalyptic Forecast | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A legal expert lays out three cases for impeaching Trump | Business Insider
- Now's a great time to be a stock picker | Business Insider
- Jeff Sessions on the uproar over his Hawaii insult: 'Give me a break' | Business Insider
- Finally, someone made a work-appropriate backpack that makes sense for... | Business Insider
- Why the release of new Prince music has been blocked | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Starbucks is already running out of the Unicorn Frappuccino — and baristas are... | Business Insider