Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "The Ingredients Of A Market Crash": John Hussman Explains "Why Take The Concerns Of A Permabear Seriously" | ZeroHedge
- Did The Winter War Just Begin? Russian Gas Supplies To Europe Plunge 15%, Ukraine Transit Slashed 54% | ZeroHedge
- How Much Further Can Gold Fall? | Financial Sense
- Weekend Video Analysis 09/28/14 | iBankCoin.com
- No, America Isn't Communist; It's Only 70% Communist | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buy: $ARWR | iBankCoin.com
- A Good Technique for Trapped Shorts in $GPRO | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Arrest Of A Russian Billionaire Does Not... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Secret lives: an evening in a Ugandan gay bar | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban Has Gotten Under The Skin Of The NBA's Smartest GM | Business Insider
- Third death from Dutch 'monster truck' accident | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Buried In Too Much Student Debt? Here's One Potential Solution | Business Insider