Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hello, I Am Jack Ma and I am Here to Take Your Money | iBankCoin.com
- With A Market Cap Of $168 Billion, Alibaba Is Bigger Than... | ZeroHedge
- The Emergence of the U.S. Petro-Dollar | Financial Sense
- Dow Theory: Yellow Flags or Green Light? | Financial Sense
- OPEC Hints It May Act to Stop Oil Price Slide | Financial Sense
- Keynes Was a Failure in Japan – No Need to Embrace Him in Europe | Financial Sense
- Scottish Independence: Politicians Love Democracy So Much They're Trying To Subvert It | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google's Head Of HR: These Are The Biggest Mistakes You Can Make On Your Resume... | Business Insider
- The Air Force Was Officially Born 67 Years Ago Today | Business Insider
- DOLLAR RALLIES AFTER THE FED: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT) | Business Insider
- Poorly Behaved Airline Passengers Are Being Publicly Shamed... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Dow closes at record after Fed keeps policy unchanged | Business Insider
- Here's Tom Brady's Résumé From When He Didn't Think He'd Make It In The NFL... | Business Insider