Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Zillow Said to Be Bidding for Trulia | iBankCoin.com
- Things In The Middle East Are About To Get Much Worse | ZeroHedge
- Housing Starts Plunge Due to Horrific Data From the South | Financial Sense
- Oil Spikes, Stocks Dump As Van Rompuy Gives Green Light To Extend Russian Sanctions To Oil | ZeroHedge
- Amazon is Stupid | iBankCoin.com
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
- Favor Dry Powder Over DUST | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Miami Is Finally Doing Something About Its Lack Of Mega-Yacht Parking Spots | Business Insider
- It's Turned Into An Absolutely Awful Day For Some Short-Sellers (Z, TRLA, SODA... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Facebook's Stock Is Going Crazy This Morning (FB) | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Be Part Of New York's Most Renowned Public... | Business Insider
- Rand Paul Rolls Out Crack Cocaine Disparity... | Business Insider
- Psst! The Founders Of Secret, The 6-Month-Old Startup Worth $... | Business Insider