Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Initial Jobless Claims Spikes Above 300k To 3-Month Highs, Biggest Miss In 11 Months | ZeroHedge
- I Bought The $HABT | iBankCoin.com
- California Housing Market Cracks in Two, Top End Goes Crazy | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap November 25, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- OIL DOWN THE DRAIN FOR XMAS | iBankCoin.com
- For The World's Largest Rig Operator, The "Recovery" Is Now Worse Than The Post-Lehman Crash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Argentine President Emerges After Yet Another Illness And She Is Not Happy With... | Business Insider
- Phillip Hughes dies from injuries: Cricket Australia | Business Insider
- The Amount Of Money On The Line In The College Football Playoff Is A Lot Less Than You... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Darren Wilson Doesn't Think There's Any Racial Tension In Ferguson | Business Insider
- Suit says Goldman Sachs, others rigged metals prices | Business Insider
- That Time Angela Merkel Destroyed Putin's Machismo | Business Insider