Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Floating Away for Now | iBankCoin.com
- Greetings from Your Favorite Russian Bear | iBankCoin.com
- New Jobless Claims Plunge to 300K, Much Better Than Forecast | Financial Sense
- Retail Sales Surge By Most In 18 Months Led By Spike In Auto Sales | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 14 | ZeroHedge
- Flashing Red Warning: Q1 Earnings Growth Plunges To Lowest Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela's Socialist Leader Maduro Doing His Best Obama Impersonation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer on Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola Earnings | TheStreet.com
- 2014 Could Be The Year That Apple Changes Course On Mobile Payments... | Business Insider
- Cliff Asness Discusses The Basic Investing Strategy That's Made Him One Of The Most Successful... | Business Insider
- MIT Scientists Have Built A Voice-Controlled Robotic Wheelchair That Could Revolutionize Elder... | Business Insider
- The Internet Has Already Donated $68,000 To Make These Robotic Lego-Like Toys A Reality | Business Insider
- This Pregnancy App Wants To Help You Choose The Sex Of Your Unborn Baby | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com