Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- JUST ONE MORE BITE | iBankCoin.com
- Perfect Strangers United | iBankCoin.com
- Deutsche Bank: Ignoring Food Price Pressures Could Be a Mistake | Financial Sense
- What The Next Gold Confiscation Will Look Like | ZeroHedge
- Ready for Takeoff By a Southwest Airlines Good Ol’ Boy Pilot | iBankCoin.com
- The S&P 500 Through The Ages - From 200 To 2000 In 30 Years | ZeroHedge
- Meet ICREACH: The NSA's Own Secret "Google" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 9-year-old kills shooting instructor in Uzi mishap | Business Insider
- A Former Federal Cybersecurity Director... | Business Insider
- 4 Stocks Breaking Out on Big Volumes | TheStreet.com
- Most Email Is Now Invisible To Hackers and Government Surveillance (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Lyndon Johnson Liked Taking His Advisors Out For Joyrides That... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- Just 6% Of Stocks On The S&P Have 'Sell' Ratings | Business Insider