Bio-Tech Covered Calls (CLSN,PPHM,KERX,ISIS,SRPT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||2.33||2.5||0.4||17.20%||February 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.97||3||0.5||15.20%||February 2013|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.20%||February 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||28.3||29||2.6||9.00%||February 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||8.38||9||0.5||6.30%||February 2013|
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $2.33. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $11.92. Its 52 week range is between $7.02 and $15.61.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $28.28. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $8.38. Its 52 week range is between $6.52 and $15.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dead-Cat-Bounce Saves Stocks From Bankmageddon | ZeroHedge
- Is Deutsche Bank Signaling A New Banking Crisis? | ZeroHedge
- Inflation is the Monster Hiding in the Closet (Video) | ZeroHedge
- What The Charts Say: "Now Is The Time To Worry" | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: How To Defeat Your Government | ZeroHedge
- Dangerous Speech: Would The Founders Be Considered Domestic Extremists Today? | ZeroHedge
- Why We Won’t Have a “Lehman Moment” in the 2016 Crash | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- YELLEN SPEAKS: Your complete preview of this week's big... | Business Insider
- 'Shark Tank' investor Daymond John says this daily ritual... | Business Insider
- The science behind why you sometimes end up dating terrible people | Business Insider
- A newly surfaced photo of two 'Game of Thrones'... | Business Insider
- Marshawn Lynch reportedly hasn't spent a penny of the $49.7... | Business Insider
- Taco Bell finally revealed the mystery item it's been teasing for weeks — here's... | Business Insider
- LEAKED: The first real photo of Samsung's next Galaxy phone | Business Insider