Contrarian Stocks (ZNGA, YELP, SWY)
The stocks in question are Zynga (ZNGA) Yelp (YELP) Safeway (SWY). All of which have greater than 25% short interest!
A contrarian believes that certain crowd behavior among investors can lead to exploitable mispricings in securities markets. For example, widespread pessimism about a stock can drive a price so low that it overstates the company's risks, and understates its prospects for returning to profitability. Identifying and purchasing such distressed stocks, and selling them after the company recovers, can lead to above-average gains.
Let's kick it off with the least speculative stock, Safeway (SWY). Safeway pays out a nearly 4% dividend, but it's down -13% YTD. Why would short sellers target Safeway? Because of their large debt burden of 6.38B. We hardly think Safeway is going to go under. Safeway looks like a great buy right here for a long term hold.
Over the past 12 months Safeway Inc (SWY) shares have traded between $15.93 and its 52-week high of $24.28. Safeway Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 10.3 and EPS of 1.73.
Shares of ZNGA were pummeled today to the tune of 8%. Just when you thought shares had carved out a bottom, down it goes for a re-test. We think this will be the final re-test and shares should rise from here. After all, the stock has decent fundamentals, a forward P/E of 15, and cash that equals 1/4 of their market cap. When you see articles from the Motley Fool that say don't touch ZNGA with a 10 foot pole, but offer no valid reasons why other than Facebook had a bad IPO, you know it's time to bet against the herd mentality.
Over the past 12 months Zynga Inc (ZNGA) shares have traded between $5.51 and its 52-week high of $15.91. Zynga Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 0 and EPS of -1.3.
Lastly, YELP is down 23% YTD. Apple just announced a deeper integration with Yelp, which could be the catalyst it needed to turn things around. I was a bit of a YELP skeptic up until the last few months, when I actually started using the Yelp app. If they can monetize, YELP could be a great investment.
Over the past 12 months Yelp Inc (YELP) shares have traded between $14.1 and its 52-week high of $31.96. Yelp Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 0 and EPS of -0.55.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold, Complacency, & Why Hookers And Bankers Share The Same Neighborhoods | ZeroHedge
- Futures Flat With All Headline-Scanning Algo Eyes On Today's FOMC Minutes | ZeroHedge
- An Attractive Potential Takeover Target | iBankCoin.com
- Russia On Way To Becoming World No 2 Gold Producer As Peak Gold Hits West | ZeroHedge
- The Bond Market is taking Advantage of Janet Yellen`s Dovishness | ZeroHedge
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader | Altucher Confidential
- Top Pick(s) This Week | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged Is The Best SUV On — Or Off — The Road | Business Insider
- Beer Maker Carlsberg Has Huge Exposure To Russia, And Sales Are Getting Crushed (... | Business Insider
- Why Facebook and Twitter Continue to Get Bigger | TheStreet.com
- Health Results Of An Asian Noodle Study Inspired Interesting Reactions From College... | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- These Charts Show How The World Feels About 8 Moral Issues | Business Insider
- Why to Buy These 5 Under-$10 Stocks ASAP | TheStreet.com