Contrarian Stocks (ZNGA, YELP, SWY)
The stocks in question are Zynga (ZNGA) Yelp (YELP) Safeway (SWY). All of which have greater than 25% short interest!
A contrarian believes that certain crowd behavior among investors can lead to exploitable mispricings in securities markets. For example, widespread pessimism about a stock can drive a price so low that it overstates the company's risks, and understates its prospects for returning to profitability. Identifying and purchasing such distressed stocks, and selling them after the company recovers, can lead to above-average gains.
Let's kick it off with the least speculative stock, Safeway (SWY). Safeway pays out a nearly 4% dividend, but it's down -13% YTD. Why would short sellers target Safeway? Because of their large debt burden of 6.38B. We hardly think Safeway is going to go under. Safeway looks like a great buy right here for a long term hold.
Over the past 12 months Safeway Inc (SWY) shares have traded between $15.93 and its 52-week high of $24.28. Safeway Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 10.3 and EPS of 1.73.
Shares of ZNGA were pummeled today to the tune of 8%. Just when you thought shares had carved out a bottom, down it goes for a re-test. We think this will be the final re-test and shares should rise from here. After all, the stock has decent fundamentals, a forward P/E of 15, and cash that equals 1/4 of their market cap. When you see articles from the Motley Fool that say don't touch ZNGA with a 10 foot pole, but offer no valid reasons why other than Facebook had a bad IPO, you know it's time to bet against the herd mentality.
Over the past 12 months Zynga Inc (ZNGA) shares have traded between $5.51 and its 52-week high of $15.91. Zynga Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 0 and EPS of -1.3.
Lastly, YELP is down 23% YTD. Apple just announced a deeper integration with Yelp, which could be the catalyst it needed to turn things around. I was a bit of a YELP skeptic up until the last few months, when I actually started using the Yelp app. If they can monetize, YELP could be a great investment.
Over the past 12 months Yelp Inc (YELP) shares have traded between $14.1 and its 52-week high of $31.96. Yelp Inc shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 0 and EPS of -0.55.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Constant Is Gold’s Purchasing Power? | ZeroHedge
- US Services PMI Bounces But Employment Hits 33-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Heads for Another $75 Quarterly Gain as Fed Holds Rates, UN Warns of 'Crisis Part 3' | Financial Sense
- Don't Blame "Baby Boomers" For Not Retiring - They Can't Afford To! | ZeroHedge
- SocGen: China Looks Stable…for Now | Financial Sense
- Peak Debt Complacency: Carmen "Different This Time" Reinhart Urges Debt Restructuring | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Sells 7Y Paper In Another Mediocre, Tailing Auction; Bond Market Yawns | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How social data could reduce false credit card declines | Business Insider
- Giuliani said Trump 'isn’t fond of... | Business Insider
- MARIO DRAGHI: Negative interest rates have made everyone... | Business Insider
- Rebel commander: Foreign states have given Syrian rebels a... | Business Insider
- Facebook's Slack rival is coming next month and... | Business Insider
- GOP SENATOR: Politics around the spending bill battle are a key reason Trump... | Business Insider
- The 27 colleges where engineering students... | Business Insider