Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "There’s Some Crazy Stuff Going On In New York" As Rental Glut Finally Hits The Bottom Line | ZeroHedge
- Krugman's Solution Is "The Fiscal Equivalent Of War" - Japan Agrees | ZeroHedge
- Chart of the Day: With Stocks Near All-Time Highs, Financial Stress Turns Negative | Financial Sense
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
- Italy's Bank Bailout Fund Already One Third Empty After First Bank Rescue | ZeroHedge
- Why Real Reform Is Now Impossible | ZeroHedge
- China Bond-Sale Cancellations Soar As BofA Warns "Default Risk Is Mispriced" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Paypal seeks to increase mobile engagement (PYPL) | Business Insider
- A startup that just launched out of stealth a few months ago thinks it's found a way... | Business Insider
- Valeant gutted its board less than 24 hours ago and already has some new nominees to refill it | Business Insider
- Somebody just put Yahoo up for sale on Craigslist | Business Insider
- The founder of Sam Adams has a policy that would make the CEOs of other billion... | Business Insider
- Oil rig count falls for 6th straight week (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE) | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek