Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Central Bankers Look Naked... & Investors Have Nothing Else To Believe In" | ZeroHedge
- Jim Grant Warns "The Fed Turned The Stock Market Into A 'Hall Of Mirrors'" | ZeroHedge
- The Stock Market After The Mini Crash | ZeroHedge
- 1000s Of Political Figures Are Stashing Cash In Swiss Accounts, Foreign Ministry Admits | ZeroHedge
- VIX Backwardation Continues - It's Not Over Yet | ZeroHedge
- US Stays Solid Amid Global Quakes | Financial Sense
- Aggressive Chinese Intervention Prevents Another Rout, Sends Stocks Soaring 5% In Last Trading Hour; US Futures Jump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's a Goldman Sachs knockoff in China — and of course it's... | Business Insider
- The FDA's plan to change nutrition labels could... | Business Insider
- De Bruyne to join Man City for 74 mn euros: reports | Business Insider
- Mayor thanks US student who helped thwart France attack | Business Insider
- We are now averaging more than one mass shooting per day in 2015 | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Initial jobless claims fall more than expected | Business Insider