Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Kress Cycle and the Fate of the Middle Class | Financial Sense
- Potential Danger Signal | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: The Case For A Crash | ZeroHedge
- BP Pushing the Limits of Technology to Develop Ultra-Deep Fields | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: Why Our Consumer-Debt Dependent Economy Is Doomed | ZeroHedge
- Santelli & Stockman Blast "Festering Fiscal" Budget Deal "Betrayal" | ZeroHedge
- Who Makes The Most Money? And How They Do It | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Baruch College Freshman Dies After Bizarre Fraternity Pledging... | Business Insider
- The US Misery Index Has Fallen To A 4-Year Low | Business Insider
- This Dating App Combines The Best Of Tinder And OKCupid | Business Insider
- The Best Biotech CEO of 2013 Is... | TheStreet.com
- Westjet Airlines And Santa Claus Gave These Passengers A... | Business Insider
- The Mysterious $50 Million Investor In Snapchat Is Hedge Fund Coatue... | Business Insider
- The NSA Is Using Google's Advertising Cookies To Track Its Targets | Business Insider