Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Eyes on Kenya: The Next Big Oil Exporter | Financial Sense
- Clinkle is the New Color | ZeroHedge
- Corporate Profits and Market Peaks - Are We There Yet? | Financial Sense
- Despite 2nd Slowest Income Growth In 2014, Spending Rises Most Since March Driven By Subprime, Car Sales | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Video Analysis 09/28/14 | iBankCoin.com
- Bagel Boss | iBankCoin.com
- Pending Home Sales Drop In August (After Record Surge In New Home Sales) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Has Fracking Made Natural Gas Too Cheap for Energy Companies? | TheStreet.com
- What It's Like To Eat At The New Upscale Vietnamese Sandwich Shop From Taco Bell's Parent... | Business Insider
- Dunkin' Donuts Has Plans to Add a Jolt to Slowing Sales | TheStreet.com
- Best Buy Thinks This Television Is The Future Of Its Business | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for 9/30: Walgreen (WAG) Reports | StreetInsider.com
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Wildlife numbers halved over past four decades: WWF | Business Insider