Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Will Happen To Oil Prices When China Fills Its SPR? | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Sells 3-Month Bills At 0% Yield For First Time Ever | ZeroHedge
- Central Banks Now In "Dangerous Situation": "You've Thrown The Kitchen Sink At It, What's Next?" | ZeroHedge
- Gun Sales Soar After Surge In US Mass Shootings | ZeroHedge
- All Bad at 0%? | Financial Sense
- Mapping Yellen and the Global Landscape | Financial Sense
- Fortress Backs Hundred Million Dollar Subprime, Payday Lender Scheme: "He Has Peacock Feathers Tattooed Down His Left Arm" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's what the Fantasy Football employee... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- 'Yelp for humans' app Peeple vanishes following backlash | Business Insider
- You've got to see this crazy demo for Microsoft's... | Business Insider
- Turkey calls on Russia to respect its borders | Business Insider
- Scientists win Nobel chemistry award for work on DNA... | Business Insider
- The local newspaper in Roseburg, Oregon, has been pro-gun for years | Business Insider