Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Annotated History Of Russian Crises Since 1860 | ZeroHedge
- When Shale Hedges Fail: The Downside Of Three-Ways | ZeroHedge
- Two NYPD Cops Murdered In "Execution Style" Ambush, Shooter Commits Suicide - Live Coverage | ZeroHedge
- Does Russia Present a Systemic Threat to Global Markets? | Financial Sense
- Mish’s Take: What’s Behind the Plunge in Oil? Boon to Spending or Recessionary? | Financial Sense
- The Burning Questions For 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Implications for the Stock Market and Gold with a Yen Rally | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Four Afghan Guantanamo detainees repatriated, says... | Business Insider
- Watch Obama Slam Sony For Pulling 'The Interview' | Business Insider
- These Sub-$200 Headphones Are Petite And Powerful, But Also Imperfect | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- David Silva steps up as Man City reel Chelsea in | Business Insider
- Sony Picked One Of The Worst Possible Times To Release A Movie Making Fun Of... | Business Insider
- Check Out These 23 Awesome Photos From The Berlin Air Show | Business Insider