Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rising Police Aggression A Telling Indicator Of Our Societal Decline | ZeroHedge
- Volume Data Have Eased One Concern | Financial Sense
- What Will Happen To You When The Dollar Collapses? | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts: "Truth Is Washington's Enemy" | ZeroHedge
- "I’m Not Crazy, I’m Scared" - Why For One Trader, This Time It Is Different | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- America's Drone-Death Outrage (Summarized In 1 Awkward Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Elon Musk's Twitter account was hacked (TSLA) | Business Insider
- Jay-Z doppelgänger spotted in Harlem photo from 1939 | Business Insider
- Kenya's Kipchoge adds London title to marathon... | Business Insider
- Here's what getting fired from their own... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- What does the internet 'look' like? 17 pictures that show how people visualize it | Business Insider
- Death toll from Nepal earthquake passes 1,000: police | Business Insider