Education & Training Stock Picks (LRN, ESI, DV, UTI, APOL)
We think so. Education & Training has been a huge laggard in 2012, much like the Homebuilders were in recent years. However, the "Homies" have been tearing it up in 2012 - and the Housing Market hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Here are our picks: K12, Inc. (LRN), ITT Educational Services Inc. (ESI), DeVry, Inc. (DV), Apollo Group Inc. (APOL), Universal Technical Institute, Inc. (UTI).
New regulations regarding for-profit schools and increased scrutiny have taken a toll on enrollment and revenue in the Education & Training industry.
In spite of that, fundamentally, these stocks are looking pretty good. You might get laughed out of a job interview if your degree is from the DeVry Institute, but DV did 2.09B in sales last year, and is expecting Brazil to drive its growth in the next year. DV is also on track with plans to cut costs companywide to save at least $50 million in fiscal 2013. Others in the sector are doing the same.
It may not be time to buy right this second, but it would behoove you to add these names to your radar. It's just a matter of time until we see a short squeeze as the sector recovers.
|Ticker||Company||Price||Float Short||Performance (Year)|
|ESI||ITT Educational Services Inc.||38.38||29%||-39%|
|APOL||Apollo Group Inc.||29.6||17%||-34%|
|UTI||Universal Technical Institute, Inc.||12.75||3%||-5%|
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 10Y Treasury Yield Tops 2.00% Following Consecutive Weak Auctions | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Remains in Growth Territory | Financial Sense
- The Double-Edged Sword of a Strong Dollar | Financial Sense
- US CEO-Worker Pay Gap Is Widest In Developed World | ZeroHedge
- Three Triggers That Will Send Oil Crashing Again | ZeroHedge
- Are you Ready to Have Your Faces Chewed Off by Rabid Dogs? | iBankCoin.com
- Yellen’s Tiger Riding Dilemma Keeps Interest Rates Near Zero | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Magic just showed its first product to investors on Monday — now it may be worth $40... | Business Insider
- STOCKS GET CRUSHED: Here's what you need to know (DJI, SPX, IXIC, LL, KRFT, HNZ, USO, OIL,... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's the average amount residents of every state receive in their tax returns... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Why Emilia Clarke turned down the lead in 'Fifty Shades of... | Business Insider