Leap Wireless (LEAP) is next in line to get acquired
Just two weeks ago at CES, T-Mobile CEO John Legere said in statement to Reuters that Leap is "one of those things that makes extreme sense for us to look at".
If you already own shares of Leap, I'm sure you've heard the story. For those of you who don't have Leap on your watch list, here's what happened:
After Mr. Legere's statement, Leap made a 2 day move from $6.28 to $7.15, a decent 14% gain (if you were able to nail the exact bottom and the exact top). However, in the 10 days since hitting that $7.15 price, shares fell all the way down to $5.78.
Something doesn't add up. A downgrade came in from Jeffries on the 17th, but shares had already tanked nearly a point by then. Why was the market so quick to price out a potential takeover of LEAP ?
Mastery Bottom Line:
There could be a great opportunity here with Leap. Naysayers will point to the incompatible networks between T-Mobile (GSM) and Leap (CDMA). But T-Mobile has disproved this notion with the recent acquisition of Metro PCS.
CDMA (Leap's Network) is being killed by all of the operators to make room for Voice over LTE.
New CEO John Legere is obviously hungry, and he has a plan. Prepaid wireless offers the best margins. Doesn't it make sense to add to T-Mobile's prepaid subscriber base by buying out Leap?
I believe so. I also believe that the question is not if Leap will get bought out - it's a matter of when the Leap will get bought out.
I have two concerns. One being the timing of an acquisition by T-Mobile, which I suspect does not have the ability to handle multiple acquisitions from an operational standpoint. Acquisitions are not an easy task. However, if they don't swoop in soon with an offer, another operator will.
AT&T (T) is planning on shelling out $780M for Alltel's 585k subscriber base and spectrum. Leap has 6 million subscribers - nothing to scoff at. But, Leap also has quite a bit of debt. It will be interesting to see how things play out in 2013 for Leap.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Classic Comedy Clown Show | iBankCoin.com
- France Releases Video Of Its First Airstrike Against ISIS | ZeroHedge
- Tickers For Friday | iBankCoin.com
- News That Matters | ZeroHedge
- Bubble Forming With Leveraged Buyouts | Financial Sense
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
- What Is the VIX Fear Index Telling Us Now? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Story About Safra Catz Stopping Larry Ellison In A Meeting Shows Just How Powerful... | Business Insider
- New ISIS Video Features A Masked Fighter Who May Be American | Business Insider
- Tens of thousands expected at New York climate march | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- James Franco Keeps Getting Censored By AOL As He Recreates Famous Movie Scenes | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- NATO cautiously welcomes Ukraine buffer zone deal | Business Insider