The Nokia Army
Nokia (NOK) shares keep falling hitting new 12 month lows on a weekly basis. Nokia shares never recovered after the 2008 fall. Since early 2008 Nokia shares are down 94%, its ugly and then some.
Nokia shares closed today at $2.50 for a terrible 3 month decline of more than 50%. The WSJ.com did a mixed bag story on Nokia today titled Nokia Late to the Silicon Valley Party.
The positive spin in the article states:
Nokia sold 600,000 mobile devices in North America during the first quarter, compared with 500,000 in the fourth quarter. Revenue from these devices, meanwhile, was up 75% on a quarter over quarter basis thanks to higher price points.
Still, North American sales only represented 2% of Nokia's global total in the first three months of the year.
Matt Rothschild, head of retail and sales operations (at Nokia), said in an interview that relocating has given the workforce a "start-up mentality, a challenger mind-set" in the critical U.S. market. Mr. Rothschild has recently tapped that enthusiasm by creating the "Nokia Army." (source: wsj.com)
Bottom line: Its a valiant play by going back to silicon valley and making Nokia out to be the underdog player. Time will tell if Nokia can make a comeback and the same goes for its shares.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The New Greek Finance Minister Has Some Questions For The World's Journalists | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Jan 29, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Biggest "Hamilton Oil Shock" In History | ZeroHedge
- It Will Now Cost You 0.5% To Save Money In Denmark: Danish Central Bank Cuts Rates For Third Time In Two Weeks | ZeroHedge
- "Everything Is Awesome" American Consumers Are The Happiest In 11 Years | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Jan 30, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Meet Loretta Lynch – Obama’s Attorney General Nominee Who Might Be Even Worse than Eric Holder | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Google Isn't Worried About Losing... | Business Insider
- New Ukraine peace talks to take place Friday | Business Insider
- Explanations to 13 jokes only smart people understand | Business Insider
- Eurozone deflation accelerates to record low in January | Business Insider
- McDonald's Failed CEO Was Reluctant To Make The Brand Like Chipotle (MCD, CMG... | Business Insider
- Here's How Teens Describe The Anguish Of Being Without Their Phones For 24 Hours | Business Insider
- American and US Airways Pilots Approve New Contract by 66% to 34%| | TheStreet.com