The End of the Blackberry is Near
Research in Motion (RIMM) is nothing compared to the iPhone by Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android based phones. RIM will never catch its competitors, even Nokia (NOK) has a better chance at a turnaround.
Chew on this fact:
In 2010 BlackBerry devices accounted for nearly 42% of all smartphones in the U.S. In 2012 Blackberry accounts for only 11% on the U.S. smartphone market (source: Dave Chidley, Associated Press / February 18, 2012).
More the demise of RIM via the LATimes.com by Ryan Faughnder -- BlackBerry maker insists it's healthy, but customers prepare for the worst
BlackBerry's Research in Motion insists it's not in a "death spiral," but that isn't stopping many companies from preparing — just in case.
Most analysts who have been following the Canadian smartphone maker don't think the company will go out of business soon. Still, some companies that have relied on the BlackBerry for years are starting to hand out other smartphones to their employees.
Suffolk Construction Co. in Boston has been a RIM customer for more than a decade, but now it is looking to switch most of its 700 BlackBerry-equipped employees to iPhones by the end of the year.
"We had plans to move in that direction, and with the recent news that's been out about RIM lately, we've accelerated our plans," said Corren Collura, the company's chief information officer.
RIM's troubles underscore how a ubiquitous technology could lose its cachet so quickly. Until the last few years, businesses and government organizations looking to supply employees with mobile devices went almost exclusively with BlackBerry. Continue..
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- TRoLL MaGaZiNe | ZeroHedge
- Pfizer Acquires Prostate Drug Maker Medivation For $81.50, 21% Premium To Closing | ZeroHedge
- Obamacare Is Rapidly Becoming The Poster-Child For American Inequality | ZeroHedge
- Why Today's 2 Year Auction Is Important | ZeroHedge
- Bond Market Gives Its Verdict On Yellen's Jackson Hole Speech With Stellar 2 Year Auction | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 23 | ZeroHedge
- Top 25 Corporate Pension Plans Alone Are Underfunded By Over $225 Billion | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google just launched Android 7.0, even though 30% of its users are still on... | Business Insider
- Here's a breakdown of how much an Olympic gold medal is really worth | Business Insider
- The price of an EpiPen has skyrocketed more than 500% since 2009 — and senators... | Business Insider
- MESSAGING APPS FOR PUBLISHERS... | Business Insider
- Report: The US was unable to stop Iraqi... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump's 18 most memorable cameos in movies and TV | Business Insider
- How Kobe Bryant makes and spends his millions | Business Insider