The End of the Blackberry is Near
Research in Motion (RIMM) is nothing compared to the iPhone by Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android based phones. RIM will never catch its competitors, even Nokia (NOK) has a better chance at a turnaround.
Chew on this fact:
In 2010 BlackBerry devices accounted for nearly 42% of all smartphones in the U.S. In 2012 Blackberry accounts for only 11% on the U.S. smartphone market (source: Dave Chidley, Associated Press / February 18, 2012).
More the demise of RIM via the LATimes.com by Ryan Faughnder -- BlackBerry maker insists it's healthy, but customers prepare for the worst
BlackBerry's Research in Motion insists it's not in a "death spiral," but that isn't stopping many companies from preparing — just in case.
Most analysts who have been following the Canadian smartphone maker don't think the company will go out of business soon. Still, some companies that have relied on the BlackBerry for years are starting to hand out other smartphones to their employees.
Suffolk Construction Co. in Boston has been a RIM customer for more than a decade, but now it is looking to switch most of its 700 BlackBerry-equipped employees to iPhones by the end of the year.
"We had plans to move in that direction, and with the recent news that's been out about RIM lately, we've accelerated our plans," said Corren Collura, the company's chief information officer.
RIM's troubles underscore how a ubiquitous technology could lose its cachet so quickly. Until the last few years, businesses and government organizations looking to supply employees with mobile devices went almost exclusively with BlackBerry. Continue..
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Ebola Cruise" Returns To Texas After Suspected Healthcare Worker Cleared | ZeroHedge
- Doctors "Hit Breaking-Point" As Ebola Death Toll Tops 4500; Nigeria 'Clear' But Harvard Issues Travel Ban | ZeroHedge
- "We Have Everything Under Control" | ZeroHedge
- THE DOGS OF HELL HAVE BEEN RELEASED ON VIX INSTRUMENT PRODUCT OWNERS | iBankCoin.com
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself” | Altucher Confidential
- Going Into Q3, Hedge Funds Have Never Been More Bullish | ZeroHedge
- Sweden Deploys Army, Air Force, Navy Near Stockholm Over Reported Damaged Russian Sub; Moscow Denies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- SAT Tutor Who Charges $1,000 An Hour: Here Are 6 Tips To Master The SAT | Business Insider
- The World Is Losing The War Against Ebola | Business Insider
- If You're Going To Buy A New iPhone Or iPad, Get Ready To Pay At Least $100 Extra (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Fab CEO Reveals The Site Was Burning Through $14 Million Before Massive Layoffs... | Business Insider
- ‘Shark Tank’ Investor Says This Is The One Thing You Need To Master... | Business Insider
- The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State | Business Insider