The End of the Blackberry is Near
Research in Motion (RIMM) is nothing compared to the iPhone by Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android based phones. RIM will never catch its competitors, even Nokia (NOK) has a better chance at a turnaround.
Chew on this fact:
In 2010 BlackBerry devices accounted for nearly 42% of all smartphones in the U.S. In 2012 Blackberry accounts for only 11% on the U.S. smartphone market (source: Dave Chidley, Associated Press / February 18, 2012).
More the demise of RIM via the LATimes.com by Ryan Faughnder -- BlackBerry maker insists it's healthy, but customers prepare for the worst
BlackBerry's Research in Motion insists it's not in a "death spiral," but that isn't stopping many companies from preparing — just in case.
Most analysts who have been following the Canadian smartphone maker don't think the company will go out of business soon. Still, some companies that have relied on the BlackBerry for years are starting to hand out other smartphones to their employees.
Suffolk Construction Co. in Boston has been a RIM customer for more than a decade, but now it is looking to switch most of its 700 BlackBerry-equipped employees to iPhones by the end of the year.
"We had plans to move in that direction, and with the recent news that's been out about RIM lately, we've accelerated our plans," said Corren Collura, the company's chief information officer.
RIM's troubles underscore how a ubiquitous technology could lose its cachet so quickly. Until the last few years, businesses and government organizations looking to supply employees with mobile devices went almost exclusively with BlackBerry. Continue..
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Fasten Your Seatbelts": Kyle Bass Previews The Collapse Of China's $34 Trillion Banking Sector | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Makes "Final" Decision To Send Troops To Syria As US, Russia Spar Over Aleppo Strikes | ZeroHedge
- Capital Flight Intensifies in Italy and Spain | Financial Sense
- Moments After Oil Crashes To 12 Year Lows, "OPEC Headline" Sends It Surging Again | ZeroHedge
- Tesla Releases Steaming Pile Of Epic "Non-GAAP" Gobbledygook; Stops Reporting Free Cash Flow; Stock Soars | ZeroHedge
- Oil Fears Spook Investors (Again) | ZeroHedge
- "It's Worse Than 2008": CEO Of World's Largest Shipping Company Delivers Dire Assessment Of Global Economy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This independent short video about Tesla will give you chills | Business Insider
- Here's the presentation Google gives employees on how to spot unconscious bias at work | Business Insider
- One of Einstein's last theories was just confirmed — but you would be shocked at how underestimated he... | Business Insider
- A huge riot broke out in Hong Kong over street food | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN SACHS: The 'mantra' in Silicon Valley has changed | Business Insider
- This sandwich is NYC's answer to the Philly cheesesteak | Business Insider
- 'Deadpool 2' is already in the works, here’s what we know | Business Insider