The End of the Blackberry is Near
Research in Motion (RIMM) is nothing compared to the iPhone by Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android based phones. RIM will never catch its competitors, even Nokia (NOK) has a better chance at a turnaround.
Chew on this fact:
In 2010 BlackBerry devices accounted for nearly 42% of all smartphones in the U.S. In 2012 Blackberry accounts for only 11% on the U.S. smartphone market (source: Dave Chidley, Associated Press / February 18, 2012).
More the demise of RIM via the LATimes.com by Ryan Faughnder -- BlackBerry maker insists it's healthy, but customers prepare for the worst
BlackBerry's Research in Motion insists it's not in a "death spiral," but that isn't stopping many companies from preparing — just in case.
Most analysts who have been following the Canadian smartphone maker don't think the company will go out of business soon. Still, some companies that have relied on the BlackBerry for years are starting to hand out other smartphones to their employees.
Suffolk Construction Co. in Boston has been a RIM customer for more than a decade, but now it is looking to switch most of its 700 BlackBerry-equipped employees to iPhones by the end of the year.
"We had plans to move in that direction, and with the recent news that's been out about RIM lately, we've accelerated our plans," said Corren Collura, the company's chief information officer.
RIM's troubles underscore how a ubiquitous technology could lose its cachet so quickly. Until the last few years, businesses and government organizations looking to supply employees with mobile devices went almost exclusively with BlackBerry. Continue..
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- XOM | ZeroHedge
- US Housing Market Heating Up | Financial Sense
- The World's Second Biggest Stock Is Crushing A 28-Year Trendline | ZeroHedge
- Economics 101: Wal-Mart Hikes Minimum Wages, Prepares To Fire 1000 | ZeroHedge
- VIX Crushed Back To 11 Handle As "Investors" Seek Safety Of Biotechs | ZeroHedge
- Quantum Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Patton | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Cannes traders roll out red carpet to Saudi... | Business Insider
- 15 incredible concert venues around the world | Business Insider
- Migrant journeys cross in Channel citadel | Business Insider
- ISIS just received a 'gift' — and now 'there's a... | Business Insider
- Jazeera journalists await Egypt retrial verdict | Business Insider
- A surfer punched a shark to escape an attack in Australia | Business Insider
- Home builders are about to make a ton of money | Business Insider