The End of the Blackberry is Near
Research in Motion (RIMM) is nothing compared to the iPhone by Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android based phones. RIM will never catch its competitors, even Nokia (NOK) has a better chance at a turnaround.
Chew on this fact:
In 2010 BlackBerry devices accounted for nearly 42% of all smartphones in the U.S. In 2012 Blackberry accounts for only 11% on the U.S. smartphone market (source: Dave Chidley, Associated Press / February 18, 2012).
More the demise of RIM via the LATimes.com by Ryan Faughnder -- BlackBerry maker insists it's healthy, but customers prepare for the worst
BlackBerry's Research in Motion insists it's not in a "death spiral," but that isn't stopping many companies from preparing — just in case.
Most analysts who have been following the Canadian smartphone maker don't think the company will go out of business soon. Still, some companies that have relied on the BlackBerry for years are starting to hand out other smartphones to their employees.
Suffolk Construction Co. in Boston has been a RIM customer for more than a decade, but now it is looking to switch most of its 700 BlackBerry-equipped employees to iPhones by the end of the year.
"We had plans to move in that direction, and with the recent news that's been out about RIM lately, we've accelerated our plans," said Corren Collura, the company's chief information officer.
RIM's troubles underscore how a ubiquitous technology could lose its cachet so quickly. Until the last few years, businesses and government organizations looking to supply employees with mobile devices went almost exclusively with BlackBerry. Continue..
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Slow Summer Afternoon Note from ChessEye Risk Management About The Process | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Slide, Erase All GDP Gains | ZeroHedge
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
- Six Current Economic Myths And Realities | ZeroHedge
- French Housing "In Total Meltdown", "Current Figures Are Disastrous" | ZeroHedge
- Our Totalitarian Future - Part 1 | ZeroHedge
- The Only Chart You Will Need To Trade Russian Sanctions | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Poorest Shoppers Are Putting Discount Stores Out Of Business | Business Insider
- Inside TMZ's Awesome Office Space And TV Studio In Downtown LA | Business Insider
- This 2-Minute Trick Will Boost Your Productivity | Business Insider
- Steven Cohen's Still Got It | Business Insider
- A Tanker Carrying Kurdish Crude Is Doing Donuts In The Gulf Of Mexico After A US Judge... | Business Insider
- Investors Are Descending Into The Five Circles Of Bond Hell (HYG, TLT, TBT, DIA, SPX, SPY... | Business Insider
- US COMPANIES ADD FEWER JOBS THAN EXPECTED (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider