A Realistic Valuation of LinkedIn (LNKD)
It turns out all you need to do to get your stock to rally 15% in 2 weeks is to have your site hacked and 6.5 million passwords stolen and posted on the internets.
Really, who is buying here?
LinkedIn just got slapped with a $5M lawsuit. That doesn't sound like much for a company that has $620m in cash on hand, and had revenue of $616m in the last year. However, the $11b market-cap company only had net income of $17m in the past year.
What Wall Street cares about is quarterly EPS. LinkedIN is going to have a hard time meeting-or-beating EPS expectations when their litigation costs are about to go through the roof.
So what's a realistic valuation of LNKD?
With a P/E of 657 and a forward P/E of 88.46, the answer is much, much lower. Look at an industry peer, Trip Advisor (TRIP), for example. Half the market cap, same levels of revenue, higher profits, and a P/E of just 32. This is right around what we think LNKD should be valued at.
Share price would literally need to be cut in half for that to happen. But will it?
It just might. LNKD currently has 85% institutional ownership, which is helping to prop up the current lofty share price. In spite of that, it only takes one of the big boys to run for the exit, and they will all start unloading shares like rats jumping from a sinking ship.
Mastery Bottom Line:
You're off your rocker if you're investing in LinkedIn at these levels. We say short it down to $60 and re-evaluate whether or not it is a good investment on the long side at that point.
Disclaimer: No current positions in LNKD, but may initiate a position in the future depending on market conditions.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Stocks Crash Most In 19 Years, Re-Open Limit Down (Despite PBOC Hail Mary) | ZeroHedge
- The Next Round of the Great Crisis Has Just Begun | ZeroHedge
- European Failures Coming Fast And Heavy Now | ZeroHedge
- Greek Contagion Spreads As Several Italian Bank Stocks Failed To Open | ZeroHedge
- Nature Rebounds | Financial Sense
- European Bank Risk Spikes Most In 5 Years To 19-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- A Look at Greek Contagion Risk | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Asia markets hit by Greece fears, Shanghai plunges | Business Insider
- This shopping street in Greece used to be the 10th most expensive in the... | Business Insider
- Calvin Klein just bought this masterpiece contemporary mansion for... | Business Insider
- Replacing doctor's visits with apps could save us $104 billion a... | Business Insider
- Greek stocks are crashing and the Greek stock market isn't even... | Business Insider
- Rousseff urges investors to get on Brazil bandwagon | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com