A Realistic Valuation of LinkedIn (LNKD)
It turns out all you need to do to get your stock to rally 15% in 2 weeks is to have your site hacked and 6.5 million passwords stolen and posted on the internets.
Really, who is buying here?
LinkedIn just got slapped with a $5M lawsuit. That doesn't sound like much for a company that has $620m in cash on hand, and had revenue of $616m in the last year. However, the $11b market-cap company only had net income of $17m in the past year.
What Wall Street cares about is quarterly EPS. LinkedIN is going to have a hard time meeting-or-beating EPS expectations when their litigation costs are about to go through the roof.
So what's a realistic valuation of LNKD?
With a P/E of 657 and a forward P/E of 88.46, the answer is much, much lower. Look at an industry peer, Trip Advisor (TRIP), for example. Half the market cap, same levels of revenue, higher profits, and a P/E of just 32. This is right around what we think LNKD should be valued at.
Share price would literally need to be cut in half for that to happen. But will it?
It just might. LNKD currently has 85% institutional ownership, which is helping to prop up the current lofty share price. In spite of that, it only takes one of the big boys to run for the exit, and they will all start unloading shares like rats jumping from a sinking ship.
Mastery Bottom Line:
You're off your rocker if you're investing in LinkedIn at these levels. We say short it down to $60 and re-evaluate whether or not it is a good investment on the long side at that point.
Disclaimer: No current positions in LNKD, but may initiate a position in the future depending on market conditions.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trade War Sparks Stock Surge Amid Biggest Short Squeeze Since Trump's Election | ZeroHedge
- Housing's Echo Bubble Now Exceeds The 2006-07 Bubble Peak | ZeroHedge
- Marissa Mayer To Leave Yahoo With $186 Million From Verizon Deal | ZeroHedge
- Trump To Order Corporate Tax Rate Cut To 15%, Load Up To $2 Trillion In Extra Debt | ZeroHedge
- Schumer: "U.S. Is No Longer Fact-Based" Nation; Breitbart News A "Threat To Democracy" | ZeroHedge
- French Establishment Mount The Ramparts Against Le Pen | ZeroHedge
- China, India, and Japan Are Very Interested in Sri Lanka – Here’s Why | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chino shorts are an essential part of any guy’s summer wardrobe — here are our 10 favorite... | Business Insider
- The lawyer for the man dragged off a United flight 'like a... | Business Insider
- A struggling hedge fund says it is cutting costs and still trying to find a... | Business Insider
- North Korea warns of 'dead bodies... | Business Insider
- Police say dozens of people swarmed a San Francisco Bay Area train in weekend... | Business Insider
- This site offers high-end watch brands at some of the most competitive prices... | Business Insider
- Exxon is starting a major project in the world's... | Business Insider