A Realistic Valuation of LinkedIn (LNKD)
It turns out all you need to do to get your stock to rally 15% in 2 weeks is to have your site hacked and 6.5 million passwords stolen and posted on the internets.
Really, who is buying here?
LinkedIn just got slapped with a $5M lawsuit. That doesn't sound like much for a company that has $620m in cash on hand, and had revenue of $616m in the last year. However, the $11b market-cap company only had net income of $17m in the past year.
What Wall Street cares about is quarterly EPS. LinkedIN is going to have a hard time meeting-or-beating EPS expectations when their litigation costs are about to go through the roof.
So what's a realistic valuation of LNKD?
With a P/E of 657 and a forward P/E of 88.46, the answer is much, much lower. Look at an industry peer, Trip Advisor (TRIP), for example. Half the market cap, same levels of revenue, higher profits, and a P/E of just 32. This is right around what we think LNKD should be valued at.
Share price would literally need to be cut in half for that to happen. But will it?
It just might. LNKD currently has 85% institutional ownership, which is helping to prop up the current lofty share price. In spite of that, it only takes one of the big boys to run for the exit, and they will all start unloading shares like rats jumping from a sinking ship.
Mastery Bottom Line:
You're off your rocker if you're investing in LinkedIn at these levels. We say short it down to $60 and re-evaluate whether or not it is a good investment on the long side at that point.
Disclaimer: No current positions in LNKD, but may initiate a position in the future depending on market conditions.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brexit Officially Begins: EU Receives Article 50 Notice From The UK; What Happens Next | ZeroHedge
- Elon Musk Is About To Turn Us All Into Spacefaring Cyborgs With Neuralink | ZeroHedge
- Partner At Paulson & Company Jumps To His Death In Midtown Manhattan | ZeroHedge
- Massive 100 Kilogram Gold Coin Worth $4.5 Million Stolen From German Museum | ZeroHedge
- Schiff Calls On House Intel Chair To Recuse Himself From Russia Probe; Nunes Refuses | ZeroHedge
- The Transformation Of Our Nation Into A Surveillance State Is Almost Complete | ZeroHedge
- Robots are Taking Our Jobs, and That is a Good Thing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Restoration Hardware pops after sales forecast beats expectations (RH) | Business Insider
- Congress just voted to allow your internet provider to sell your online history and data — here... | Business Insider
- Darden's acquisition of Cheddar's is bad news for smaller... | Business Insider
- HBO is reviving 'True Detective' for season 3 | Business Insider
- 6 simple tricks to make your coworkers like you | Business Insider
- How an early Facebook employee created a business that... | Business Insider
- Wearables aren't really a thing — at least not yet | Business Insider