A Realistic Valuation of LinkedIn (LNKD)
It turns out all you need to do to get your stock to rally 15% in 2 weeks is to have your site hacked and 6.5 million passwords stolen and posted on the internets.
Really, who is buying here?
LinkedIn just got slapped with a $5M lawsuit. That doesn't sound like much for a company that has $620m in cash on hand, and had revenue of $616m in the last year. However, the $11b market-cap company only had net income of $17m in the past year.
What Wall Street cares about is quarterly EPS. LinkedIN is going to have a hard time meeting-or-beating EPS expectations when their litigation costs are about to go through the roof.
So what's a realistic valuation of LNKD?
With a P/E of 657 and a forward P/E of 88.46, the answer is much, much lower. Look at an industry peer, Trip Advisor (TRIP), for example. Half the market cap, same levels of revenue, higher profits, and a P/E of just 32. This is right around what we think LNKD should be valued at.
Share price would literally need to be cut in half for that to happen. But will it?
It just might. LNKD currently has 85% institutional ownership, which is helping to prop up the current lofty share price. In spite of that, it only takes one of the big boys to run for the exit, and they will all start unloading shares like rats jumping from a sinking ship.
Mastery Bottom Line:
You're off your rocker if you're investing in LinkedIn at these levels. We say short it down to $60 and re-evaluate whether or not it is a good investment on the long side at that point.
Disclaimer: No current positions in LNKD, but may initiate a position in the future depending on market conditions.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- As seen on Zero Hedge: The fix is in - wag the dog. | ZeroHedge
- The Public Pension Time Bomb Is Starting to Explode | Financial Sense
- The Market Is Really Nervous Right Now (Video) | ZeroHedge
- EUR Jumps And Dumps, Stocks Slide As Draghi Suggests Nothing Lasts Forever | ZeroHedge
- Too Many Tired Bulls | Financial Sense
- "Make A Wish List" Russia Tells Duterte, As New Asian Axis Forms | ZeroHedge
- While Presidential Election Takes Focus, US Economy Slips Further | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 11 high-paying jobs for people who are great at time... | Business Insider
- A neuroscientist explains why going to a chiropractor may be a waste of... | Business Insider
- American Express is soaring despite announcing its lowest quarterly revenue in more... | Business Insider
- China's red-hot housing market is still accelerating | Business Insider
- The future of the death penalty could be decided in 3 states | Business Insider
- The app market could be the next target for US antitrust... | Business Insider
- In some states, you can get arrested for wearing a clown mask in public | Business Insider