4 Short Squeeze Stocks to Trade
The S&P 500 and the Down Jones Ind. finished 0.6% higher today despite zero progess made avoiding the 'Fiscal Cliff'. Four stocks did finish higher today and they are loaded with short interest. Those names are Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) and wildcard candidate Pandora Media Inc. (P). If the rally in equities continues the short sellers are going to have to switch course and send those four stocks higher.
Shares of Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) all jumped 4% on no credible news or events. Those 3 stocks are heavily shorted and the move higher corresponded with the major stock indices. Mastery believes that trend could continue for JCP, RSH, and Z. The shot in the dark is Pandora as the Street continues to punish the company and send its share price lower.
When a heavily shorted stock jumps on a single day the short sellers are forced to exit. The traders that are short on the given stock then have to liquidate and cover their position by buying back the stock. If enough short sellers buy back the stock, the price is pushed even higher and off to the races we go. We are also going with household name stocks that trade with a decent amount of volume. This allows you to get out if the stock isn't moving the direction you want.
Here is the 411 on these 4 possible short-squeeze stock plays:
Zillow Inc (Z) shares enjoyed a 4.78% rally today and closed at $28.50. Zillow's short float is at an outstanding 32%. Zillow shares have traded between $21.41 and $46.86 over the past 12 months. Keep in mind the Big Z is now 25% from its 52-week low.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) shares ticked 4.1% higher today to close at $19.23. JCP sports a 32% short float.
RadioShack Corp (RSH) shares ticked 5.58% higher today to close at $2.08. RadioShack has a massive 38% short float.
Pandora (P) shares have a 21% short float and today it closed flat at $7.95.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Early Q1 Reports Come In | Financial Sense
- The Changing World Of Work 5: "Human Robots" and High-Level Skills | ZeroHedge
- The World Has Gone M.A.D. | ZeroHedge
- Has the Dollar-Gold Correlation Broken Down? | Financial Sense
- One Last Look At The Real Economy Before It Implodes - Part 5 | ZeroHedge
- "More Than Half Of All Global Government Bonds Are Yielding 1% Or Less" | ZeroHedge
- Coming to Terms With the American Empire | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- SpaceX's biggest competitor is a company you've never heard of | Business Insider
- It's taking an unusually long time to fill vacant jobs in the US | Business Insider
- Millions of users of dating site Match.com are at risk of having their... | Business Insider
- LaMarcus Aldridge, one of the top NBA free agents this summer, has an $80 million incentive... | Business Insider
- How to invest your cash if you're convinced the stock market is about to tank... | Business Insider
- NOW HIRING: Business Insider is looking for an editor for BI Films | Business Insider