4 Short Squeeze Stocks to Trade
The S&P 500 and the Down Jones Ind. finished 0.6% higher today despite zero progess made avoiding the 'Fiscal Cliff'. Four stocks did finish higher today and they are loaded with short interest. Those names are Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) and wildcard candidate Pandora Media Inc. (P). If the rally in equities continues the short sellers are going to have to switch course and send those four stocks higher.
Shares of Zillow Inc. (Z), RadioShack Corp. (RSH), J.C. Penny Company, Inc. (JCP) all jumped 4% on no credible news or events. Those 3 stocks are heavily shorted and the move higher corresponded with the major stock indices. Mastery believes that trend could continue for JCP, RSH, and Z. The shot in the dark is Pandora as the Street continues to punish the company and send its share price lower.
When a heavily shorted stock jumps on a single day the short sellers are forced to exit. The traders that are short on the given stock then have to liquidate and cover their position by buying back the stock. If enough short sellers buy back the stock, the price is pushed even higher and off to the races we go. We are also going with household name stocks that trade with a decent amount of volume. This allows you to get out if the stock isn't moving the direction you want.
Here is the 411 on these 4 possible short-squeeze stock plays:
Zillow Inc (Z) shares enjoyed a 4.78% rally today and closed at $28.50. Zillow's short float is at an outstanding 32%. Zillow shares have traded between $21.41 and $46.86 over the past 12 months. Keep in mind the Big Z is now 25% from its 52-week low.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) shares ticked 4.1% higher today to close at $19.23. JCP sports a 32% short float.
RadioShack Corp (RSH) shares ticked 5.58% higher today to close at $2.08. RadioShack has a massive 38% short float.
Pandora (P) shares have a 21% short float and today it closed flat at $7.95.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can the Rally in Global Commodities Be Sustained? | Financial Sense
- Picturing The Amazon.com Of Illegal Drugs | ZeroHedge
- Profit Taking in Metals After Eight Consecutive Weeks of Rising Prices | Financial Sense
- A Blue Collar Kind of Morning | iBankCoin.com
- Watch As A US Missile Destroyer Departs Greece For The Black Sea | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Fisher Admits Stocks Are At "Eye-Popping Levels" | ZeroHedge
- RuSSia: EXPoSeD To THe WoRLD'S CoNTeMPT... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Victoria's Secret Is Opening In China — But Not To Sell Lingerie | Business Insider
- Armed Men In Crimea Confiscate Journalists' Equipment, Accuse Them Of Being '... | Business Insider
- 4 Ways Employers Can Benefit From A Job Fair | Business Insider
- Scientists Have Figured Out An Age-Old Mystery About Rivers | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- This Chart Shows That When Facebook Changed How The News Feed Works... | Business Insider
- Obama Announces First Sanctions On Russians And Crimeans Involved In The Ukraine... | Business Insider