Walt Disney (DIS) buys Lucasfilm
That's right, Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind Star Wars, from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the Star Wars series.
Mark Hamill better dust off his light saber, because he could be back to play a role as the Jedi Master instructor at the new Jedi academy.
"It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers," the 68-year-old Lucas said. "I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."
Mastery Bottom Line:
Disney keeps expanding its empire, adding LucasFilms to its portfolio which includes ESPN, ABC, the Pixar animation studio and Marvel Comics.
We hope Disney will not repeat the abominations which were episodes I - III. They really need to go all-out here and get a director like David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en, among others) to take on Star Wars Episode VII.
It is a dream come true to hear that new Star Wars movies will be made in our lifetime. Let's just hope that Disney can deliver.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed Is Running On The Final Fumes Of Its Credibility | ZeroHedge
- Watch As NYPD Officers Turn Their Backs On NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio | ZeroHedge
- Maybe Oil Goes to $70 on its Way to $40 | ZeroHedge
- The Morality and Legality of Debt Jubilee, Part III | ZeroHedge
- Judge Rules Obama's Abuse Of Executive Orders Is "Unconstitutional" | ZeroHedge
- Two NYPD Cops Murdered In "Execution Style" Ambush, Shooter Commits Suicide - Live Coverage | ZeroHedge
- Viewing Russia From the Inside | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Irresponsible' non-OPEC output behind oil... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Wall Street Is Calling For The Resignation Of An Investment Billionaire | Business Insider
- The Thing That Saved Marissa Mayer's First 2 Years At Yahoo Is Now Making Her... | Business Insider
- Natural Gas Prices Are Crashing | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Telecom Stocks: What to Dial Into for 2015 and Beyond -- and Where to Hang Up | TheStreet.com