Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The World's Most Crowded Trade | ZeroHedge
- Bonds & Peso Slide As Fernandez Slams Holdouts For "True Aggression Against Argentina" | ZeroHedge
- "Shocked" White House Slams "Fabrication" After Israel TV Leaks Damning Transcript Of Obama-Netanyahu Phone Call | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Surges; Highest Since the 2007 Market Peak | Financial Sense
- Drive-By Morning Grub | iBankCoin.com
- The U.S. and Russia Are Gas Giants | Financial Sense
- Time for the Bird to Make a Summer Splash | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Jim Cramer: El Pollo Loco Shares Still Have Room to Move Higher | TheStreet.com
- Earth Spent Its First Billion Years Being Pummeled By Asteroids | Business Insider
- San Francisco Protesters Are Slapping Neon Green Stickers On Airbnb... | Business Insider
- This Chart Shows How Healthcare Spending Estimates In GDP Reports Are A Disaster... | Business Insider
- Twitter Users Are Asking The Company's CEO All Kinds Of Insane... | Business Insider
- 5 Tricks To Instantly Appear Competent | Business Insider