Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- India’s Energy Ties With Iran Unsettle Washington | Financial Sense
- What A Correction Could Look Like | ZeroHedge
- Google Challenges Surveillance Gag Order: Squares NSA Secrecy Against First Amendment | ZeroHedge
- Military Minds | ZeroHedge
- Theory of Interest and Prices in Paper Currency Part III (Credit) | Financial Sense
- American Economic Calamity Predicted in 1857 | Financial Sense
- Greece Has One Month To Plug A €1.2 Billion Healthcare Budget Hole | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Former Romney Economic Adviser Writes New Paper In Defense Of The... | Business Insider
- Brian O'Kelley Is Really Enjoying All The Speculation That Yahoo May Acquire AppNexus (... | Business Insider
- Hedge Funds And Mom-And-Pops Have Been Doing Opposite Things In The Stock Market For... | Business Insider
- Man Totally Loses It After His Wendy's Order Is Botched [VIDEO] | Business Insider
- A 5-Second Guide To What Traders Are Talking About This Morning | Business Insider
- OBAMA DEFENDS SECRECY: 'We Could Not Have Carried Out... | Business Insider
- Turkish Riot Cop Screaming About Tear Gas At Photographer Sums Up Soaring... | Business Insider