Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Wasserman Schultz: "I Am Not Going To Gavel In The Convention" | ZeroHedge
- Sovereign Debt Downgrades Accelerate in 2016 | Financial Sense
- We're Sorry! - DNC Apologizes To Bernie For "Inexcusable Remarks" | ZeroHedge
- Crude Carnage Continues: WTI Hits $42 Handle On Inventories, Dollar | ZeroHedge
- July 26-27 – The Fed Will Put Us on Notice for a September 20-21 Rate Hike | Financial Sense
- Was Trump Right? Leaked DNC Email Shines Unexpected Light On Cruz's "Militant" Father | ZeroHedge
- Brazil’s Top Newspaper Caught Manipulating Poll Data In Favor Of New President | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- BMW just unleashed a special 600-horsepower M5 just for America | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Nationals veteran had a great reaction to falling for the eephus, the rarest of... | Business Insider
- 5 seemingly innocent things you may be doing that make you less likable at... | Business Insider
- I went to a "float therapy" studio — and now I'm... | Business Insider
- Two college football players have died in a car crash | Business Insider
- Victoria's Secret photo editor reveals surprising secrets about how models... | Business Insider