Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Global Stocks Rebound As Geopolitical Tensions Subside; Europe Surges On Report Of More ECB Easing | ZeroHedge
- WTI Holds Losses After DOE Confirms Large Cushing Inventory Build Despite Crude Production Cut | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Explains Why Americans Should Keep Calm & Spend Amid Global Terror Alert - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Saudi De-Peg Looms As FX Market Signals Loudest "Black Swan Warning" In 13 Years | ZeroHedge
- M&A Spikes to Craziest Frenzy Ever, even as Bottom Falls out of Riskiest End | ZeroHedge
- US Backed "Rebels" Execute Russian Pilots While Parachuting, Caught On Tape | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Sentences Poet To Death For "Renouncing Islam" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Ben Carson's campaign: 'He doesn't stand behind' his comments... | Business Insider
- Pakistani man gets 40 years in al-Qaida plot to bomb... | Business Insider
- Why Pfizer's talking about breaking up on the same day it announced a... | Business Insider
- Thailand indicts 2 for deadly Bangkok bombing | Business Insider
- Police: Newborn left in Christmas nativity manger at... | Business Insider
- The 57 best tech gifts you should scramble for this Black Friday | Business Insider