Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will Sean Spicer Announce A Delay On The Vote During Today's Presser? - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Nunes Confirms There Was "Incidental Surveillance" Of Trump During Obama Administration, "Seems To Be Inappropriate" | ZeroHedge
- Thursday Humor: Medicare Part G? | ZeroHedge
- Swedes Begin Construction Of Police Fortress In "Little Mogadishu" | ZeroHedge
- NSA To Provide "Smoking Gun" Proof Obama Spied On Trump | ZeroHedge
- Trump Was Right Again: Israeli Teenager Arrested Over Phone Threats To Jewish Community Centers | ZeroHedge
- Former Attorney for George W. Bush, Richard Painter, Says Alt-Right Websites Are Guilty of Treason | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- French presidential poll finds... | Business Insider
- Why Dave Chappelle says he made 2 new Netflix specials: 'Money... | Business Insider
- 5 great wallets for people who travel a lot | Business Insider
- Paul Manafort's lobbying past could create major... | Business Insider
- The player to watch in the Florida and Wisconsin Sweet 16 matchup is the... | Business Insider
- Arctic sea ice just hit a new record low in the North Pole | Business Insider
- Meet the puppies that are trained by the military to... | Business Insider