Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- French Economy In "Dire Straits", "Worse Than Anyone Can Imagine", Leaked NSA Cable Reveals | ZeroHedge
- ECB Says "Grexit Can No Longer Be Excluded", Hints At More QE | ZeroHedge
- The US Constitution (2015 Edition) | ZeroHedge
- Greece Will Open 700 Bank Branches On Thursday - For Limited Pension Withdrawals Only | ZeroHedge
- National Bank Of Greece Crashes To Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Greece Will Default To IMF Tomorrow, Government Official Says | ZeroHedge
- Don't Blame Austerity: Five "Dastardly" Ways Italy Burned Through Taxpayer Money | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- The final episode of 'Top Gear' with Jeremy... | Business Insider
- Robert Redford sees 'last chance' to fix climate | Business Insider
- Saudi Arabia had high-level contacts with one of America’s... | Business Insider
- The best and worst states to make a living in 2015 | Business Insider
- Replacing doctor's visits with apps could save us $104 billion a... | Business Insider
- South Sudan army raped then burnt girls alive: UN | Business Insider