Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hillary, Trump "In Dead Heat" WaPo Finds, As Latest Poll Gives Trump 1 Point Lead Ahead Of Debate | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo Slammed With $2.6 Billion Lawsuit By Terminated Workers | ZeroHedge
- "I Think It’ll Be A Clown Show" - Why Tomorrow's Debate Is So Important | ZeroHedge
- Trump: Titan of Corporate Tax Cuts | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Contagion Risks Surge: Banks' Reliance On Each Other For Funding Hits All Time High | ZeroHedge
- "Hell To Pay" - The Final Condition For A Market Crash Is Falling Into Place | ZeroHedge
- Chart: The Central Bankers’ Bubble – 2007 vs. Today | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are the 9 most influential people on Wall Street | Business Insider
- Once hot anonymous app Yik Yak is dying a slow death — here's why | Business Insider
- An airline pilot reveals why the Boeing 757 is truly unique (BA) | Business Insider
- THE PAYMENTS INDUSTRY EXPLAINED: The trends creating new winners and losers in... | Business Insider
- RANKED: The 30 most creative people in advertising 2016 | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- This former MSNBC anchor says you can't build a $1 billion new media business on... | Business Insider