AOL Shares: Buy or Sell? (Video Included)
AOL Inc. (NYSE:AOL) shares are trading flat today at $20.16 and some bad news for their employees was dropped today. More layoffs.
The company said the pink slips aren't coming until after the $315 million Huffington Post (one of our favorite sites) acquisition closes, they say - though they will happen, maybe a few seconds after that. AOL's last layoff was a slashing of 2,300 jobs a year ago.
Wall Street's price targets on AOL are a mixed bag and we believe there is little hope at this point in the game. If only you could buy shares in just the Huffington Post.
AOL shares have fallen 25% since its $27 IPO last year. The recent analyst estimates for AOL shares range from high to low:
|CO.||Current Price||Price Target||% Change|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 20.00||-0.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 24.00||18.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 25.00||23.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 21.00||4.1%|
Last Friday (Feb 28th) Canaccord Genuity initiated coverage on shares of AOL (AOL) with a “hold” rating and a $20 price target on the stock.
On Feb 27th UBS AG (UBS) cut their EPS estimates on shares of AOL. They now have a “neutral” rating and a $25 price target on the stock.
On Feb 7th Benchmark Capital lowering its price target on shares of AOL (AOL) on the news they had acquired The Huffington Post. The firm has a price target of $24.
AOL PIPE DREAM
The Masters believe any price target over $24 is reaching for the sky. We feel the best AOL shares could pull off in the next 12 months is $21 a share from today's price, implying a 4% gain.
MASTERY Bottom line: AOL had its chance to become Google (GOOG), but that died out when they finally stopped sending American's their tin CDs (sorry dial-up).
Do you really think that AOL has the right stuff to turn itself around and be a glory web 2.0 comeback story? More importantly, are you willing to put your cash down and bet that its shares can break past $25 in the next year?
Let's say AOL does everything right, they hit it out of the park and do get the $25 price set by UBS. That's still $2 short of their IPO price from last year. Two Dollars. All this analyst can say is, cue Johnny...
Disclaimer: No positions in any of the securities mentioned in this publication.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Crash Boys" - Michael Lewis Slays The Regulators In The Sarao Scapegoating Debacle | ZeroHedge
- Are Oklahoma's Quakes Caused By Wastewater Disposal? (Spolier Alert: Yes!) | ZeroHedge
- New Home Sales Tumble By Most In Almost 2 Years As Northeast Crashes | ZeroHedge
- The Fate of The Tech Bubble Is In The Hands Of Just One Company | ZeroHedge
- "Greece Can No Longer Withstand The Waves Of Desperate People Arriving From War Zones" | ZeroHedge
- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Yes, Colombia! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 25 places to party before you die | Business Insider
- 9 surprising tips for getting ahead in your career | Business Insider
- Record crowds as Australia and New Zealand mark Anzac Day... | Business Insider
- Mobile and social are fueling massive digital-video advertising growth as... | Business Insider
- US says new EU plan for GMO imports is no solution | Business Insider
- Jay Z and Beyoncé might be releasing a secret album on Tidal to get more people... | Business Insider
- A rare glance into the heart of a WWI German U-boat | Business Insider