AOL Shares: Buy or Sell? (Video Included)
AOL Inc. (NYSE:AOL) shares are trading flat today at $20.16 and some bad news for their employees was dropped today. More layoffs.
The company said the pink slips aren't coming until after the $315 million Huffington Post (one of our favorite sites) acquisition closes, they say - though they will happen, maybe a few seconds after that. AOL's last layoff was a slashing of 2,300 jobs a year ago.
Wall Street's price targets on AOL are a mixed bag and we believe there is little hope at this point in the game. If only you could buy shares in just the Huffington Post.
AOL shares have fallen 25% since its $27 IPO last year. The recent analyst estimates for AOL shares range from high to low:
|CO.||Current Price||Price Target||% Change|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 20.00||-0.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 24.00||18.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 25.00||23.9%|
|AOL||$ 20.18||$ 21.00||4.1%|
Last Friday (Feb 28th) Canaccord Genuity initiated coverage on shares of AOL (AOL) with a “hold” rating and a $20 price target on the stock.
On Feb 27th UBS AG (UBS) cut their EPS estimates on shares of AOL. They now have a “neutral” rating and a $25 price target on the stock.
On Feb 7th Benchmark Capital lowering its price target on shares of AOL (AOL) on the news they had acquired The Huffington Post. The firm has a price target of $24.
AOL PIPE DREAM
The Masters believe any price target over $24 is reaching for the sky. We feel the best AOL shares could pull off in the next 12 months is $21 a share from today's price, implying a 4% gain.
MASTERY Bottom line: AOL had its chance to become Google (GOOG), but that died out when they finally stopped sending American's their tin CDs (sorry dial-up).
Do you really think that AOL has the right stuff to turn itself around and be a glory web 2.0 comeback story? More importantly, are you willing to put your cash down and bet that its shares can break past $25 in the next year?
Let's say AOL does everything right, they hit it out of the park and do get the $25 price set by UBS. That's still $2 short of their IPO price from last year. Two Dollars. All this analyst can say is, cue Johnny...
Disclaimer: No positions in any of the securities mentioned in this publication.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Another Constructive Day | iBankCoin.com
- S&P, Dow Jump To Green For April | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds Misses Revenue, Earnings Estimates: Blames Weather | ZeroHedge
- SILENCE | iBankCoin.com
- 3D Printing Medical Technology | iBankCoin.com
- Jim Rickards on the Death of Money, China, and Financial Warfare | Financial Sense
- Avoiding the Crude Summer Trap | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Most Powerful Person At Every Age | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- A Lawyer Has Made Incredible Statues Out Of Legos | Business Insider
- Apple's iBeacon Is Gaining Momentum | Business Insider
- The Hottest Golfer In The World Sinks A Bunker Shot On The 18th Hole To Win A PGA Tour... | Business Insider
- New 'Star Wars' Film Will Cost At Least $175 Million To Make | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek