Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Self-Driving “Fully Automated” Vehicles on German Autobahn | Financial Sense
- No Consensus on Rate Environment, Alibaba Misses | ZeroHedge
- "Monetary Policy Has Lost Any Semblance Of Discipline," Stephen Roach Slams "QE Lemmings | ZeroHedge
- Gold & Silver Extend Losses - Biggest Drop Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Market Wrap: All Eyes On Yellen Who Better Not Disappoint | ZeroHedge
- ECB Sets Up Biggest Contrarian Play of 2015 | Financial Sense
- Another Ex-Central Planner Speaks Up: Currency War Policy "Risks Major Downward Shock To Asset Prices" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Jury Convicted Two Ex-... | Business Insider
- Why Tim Cook Thinks The iPad Has Tons Of Room To Grow... | Business Insider
- ISIS May Have Just Given... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Investor Heidi Roizen Shared A Disturbing Story That Shows How Difficult... | Business Insider
- This Mental Bias Explains Why Investing Is So Scary | Business Insider
- Hershey Just Made Its First Acquisition That Isn't Candy | Business Insider