Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bears Are "Covering" Everywhere, Especially Here | ZeroHedge
- Margin Calls Mount On Loans Against Stock Portfolios Used To Buy Homes, Boats, "Pretty Much Everything" | ZeroHedge
- Here We Go Again: US Equities Surge Even As Chinese Stock Market Rollercoaster Tumbles To 8 Month Low | ZeroHedge
- A Nation Divided - Northeast Happiest In 8 Years As MidWest Comfort Collapses | ZeroHedge
- Is John Paulson The Biggest Loser From Today's Blown Monsanto-Syngenta Deal | ZeroHedge
- How China's Currency Policies Will Change the World | Financial Sense
- Is This Where VIX Is Going Next? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google says EU anti-trust accusations 'wrong' | Business Insider
- China arrests 12 over Tianjin blasts as toll rises | Business Insider
- South Sudan leader signs peace deal amid sanctions threat... | Business Insider
- Gap to end on-call scheduling | Business Insider
- There's a Goldman Sachs knockoff in China — and of course it's... | Business Insider
- Stunning photos of New Zealand's glowing underground... | Business Insider
- Mayor thanks US student who helped thwart France attack | Business Insider