Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Canada’s Central Bank Requests End To Defacing of Debasing Canadian Dollar | ZeroHedge
- 2-Year T-Note Shows Path for FOMC | Financial Sense
- Double Standards Exist for a Reason | iBankCoin.com
- Could Oil Prices Plummet a Second Time? | Financial Sense
- The Market is Simply NOT Expecting This to Happen in China | ZeroHedge
- "Chinese Economic Activity Has Probably Slowed To Less Than 3%" | ZeroHedge
- Take Out A 7 Year Car Loan To Buy Stocks, CNBC Experts Advise | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Young designers shine at start of Paris Fashion Week | Business Insider
- Presidential contender Ben Carson says the... | Business Insider
- A new, slimmer MacBook Air with a better screen may be coming this... | Business Insider
- Etsy just filed for an IPO — and the company disclosed some accounting problems (... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Russia hopes 'Putin koala' still alive | Business Insider
- Selfie sticks are now banned at the Smithsonian | Business Insider