Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ebola Epidemic Update: US Citizen Dies In Nigeria, Virus Poses Threat To Britain, Liberia Declares State Of Emergency | ZeroHedge
- Fed Exit a Blue Pill? | Financial Sense
- Propaganda Full Frontal: A Little High Level Intervention And This Is What Happens | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Does It Again: Banco Espirito Santo Bonds & Stock Are Crashing | ZeroHedge
- China’s Market Finally Looks Like a Buy | Financial Sense
- Useful Idiots and the Something for Nothing Society - Part 2 of 4 | ZeroHedge
- 21 Ways To End The Phrase "Americans Are So Broke..." | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- BILLIONAIRE HEDGE FUND MANAGER: Of All The Things That Are Likely, Nothing Is... | Business Insider
- Yum! Brands Sinks After Disclosing China Probe (YUM, MCD) | Business Insider
- Congress Just Fixed A Crazy Law That Made Unlocking Your Cell Phone A Crime — But... | Business Insider
- Here’s Why Hiring Managers Should Stop Looking At Resumes | Business Insider
- Samsung Has Two New Galaxy Smartphones Coming Soon | Business Insider
- eBay Just Released Its Diversity Numbers, And They're Better Than Some Other Companies In... | Business Insider