Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 5 Things To Ponder: Independence Day Reading | ZeroHedge
- Service PMI Drops To Lowest Level Since January: Job Creation Slows, Input Cost Inflation Surges | ZeroHedge
- Peak Desperation: China Bans Selling Of Stocks By Pension Funds | ZeroHedge
- Whole Foods, Half Lies | ZeroHedge
- Greece’s New Money: Many, Not One? | Financial Sense
- Judge Dismisses Charges Against Sergey Aleynikov | ZeroHedge
- A Look at Greek Contagion Risk | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Eurogroup president Jeroen Dijsselbloem issues terse statement... | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Starbucks is raising prices on most drinks | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know in markets today | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Pope Francis to focus on poor in South America trip | Business Insider