Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Leaked Memo Exposes Shady Dealings Between Clinton Foundation Donors And Bill's "For-Profit" Activities | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: How Russian Soldiers Prepare For Nuclear War | ZeroHedge
- The Undercurrent of Currency Issues | Financial Sense
- RBC: "That Is VaR Crushing DV01 Destruction At Its Finest" | ZeroHedge
- China Looks to Cool Hot Real Estate Market | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: ISIS Destroys Abrams Tank With Anti-Tank Missile | ZeroHedge
- "We Are Late In The Game": David Rosenberg On The Market's Flashing Red Signs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Gold Star father Khizr Khan berates Trump from mosque:... | Business Insider
- Computer hard drives have shrunk like crazy over the last 60 years — here's a look... | Business Insider
- CHART: US companies are paying out rather than... | Business Insider
- Mel Gibson opens up about his anti-Semitic comments: 'I was loaded and angry and... | Business Insider
- These are the perfect sheets to have on your bed for the fall and... | Business Insider
- There's a threat of snow in New York on Thursday | Business Insider
- An Illinois GOP senator sniped at his Democratic... | Business Insider