Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Wave To The Webcam Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
- New York AG Sends Subpoenas To HFT Firms Including Tower, Jump and Chopper | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 17 | ZeroHedge
- With 103 Mentions Of "Weather", It Is Time To Rename The 'Beige Book' To The 'Weather Book' | ZeroHedge
- Enlightened Self Interest and Financial Industry Hypocrisy - Chapter Two of Three | ZeroHedge
- The First Look in the Middle | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Netflix's Streaming Speed On Comcast Up... | Business Insider
- Yahoo Co-Founder Nominated To Company's Board After 18-Year Absence | Business Insider
- John Boehner's Spokesman Sends Perfect... | Business Insider
- 'Breaking Bad' Creator Reveals Series... | Business Insider
- Ron Paul Is On Quora Now | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: We Are Currently In The Weakest Earnings Cycle In 55 Years | Business Insider
- 12 Simple Tricks For Saving Time On Email | Business Insider