Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Risk of ‘World War’ between NATO and Russia on Ukraine Escalation as Yemen Bombed for Third Day | ZeroHedge
- Americans Supported and Inspired the Nazis | ZeroHedge
- The Final Four is Set | iBankCoin.com
- No Bear Market Signal Yet From Housing | Financial Sense
- The Monetary Approach Reigns Supreme | Financial Sense
- Eurasian Pivot? Moscow Expects "Progress" From Tsipras Visit | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia and Iran Compete in Yemen | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Soyuz spacecraft with Russian, US astronauts docks at ISS... | Business Insider
- Coentrao gets winner as Portugal see off Serbia | Business Insider
- Anticipation and angst as Europe ends milk quotas | Business Insider
- 5 simple internet safety tips from one of Google's information... | Business Insider
- World-power foreign ministers press for Iran deal | Business Insider
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy tells us why he has a 'good level of confidence... | Business Insider
- Brain drain as young Greenlanders leave for Denmark | Business Insider