Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Iran Says No Thanks To Dollars; Demands Euro Payment For Oil Sales | ZeroHedge
- Who Really Needs A Gold Standard? | ZeroHedge
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Steve Keen Exposes Our Dysfunctional Monetary System | ZeroHedge
- Personal Freedom Versus Political Paternalism | ZeroHedge
- P2P Cracks Start To Show As LendingClub Write-Offs Double Forecasts | ZeroHedge
- Even The Fed's "Owners" Aren't Buying What Janet Is Selling | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Super Bowl ads people are already sharing like crazy | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton struggled through an 'awkward' answer about her 6-... | Business Insider
- How to tell someone's lying to you by watching their face | Business Insider
- Mexico's oil industry now has an organized-crime problem | Business Insider
- This simple domestic-violence Super Bowl ad stopped a lot of people in their tracks | Business Insider
- RANKED: The 10 worst movies to win the best picture Oscar — and what should have won | Business Insider
- The 'war on cash' is advancing | Business Insider