Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dollar Doldrums To Continue As "Fantasy World Of Rate Normalization" Unwinds | ZeroHedge
- Saxo Warns Further Upside For Crude Hard To Achieve After Market "Change Of Focus" | ZeroHedge
- Buchanan: If There's A 2nd Cold War, Did Russia Really Start It? | ZeroHedge
- Haunting Pictures Of A Transportation Recession As Freight Rail Traffic Plunges | ZeroHedge
- Watch Live: John Kasich Announces End Of His Presidential Campaign | ZeroHedge
- Breaking Down Warren Buffett's Rosy Outlook For America | ZeroHedge
- Massive Fire Burns At Gateway Town To Alberta's Oilsands; 30,000 Evacuated | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are the best beaches in the UK | Business Insider
- The retail industry is transforming, but not the way you think it is | Business Insider
- Abercrombie & Fitch’s former competition is on the brink of bankruptcy | Business Insider
- China is facing an uphill battle to revive its ailing... | Business Insider
- Hedge funds have had a torrid time ― here is what they're betting on now | Business Insider
- Business Insider's... | Business Insider
- Republican leader vows to keep blocking Obama's... | Business Insider