Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- The Farce That Is Economics: Richard Feynman On The Social Sciences | ZeroHedge
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- "We Have Everything Under Control" | ZeroHedge
- Post-Taper Tantrum II: The Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Blood Red From Big Blue: Why IBM Is Crashing, In Charts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China growth seen at five-year low in Q3: AFP survey | Business Insider
- Here's What Makes Ebola So Simple And Deadly | Business Insider
- You've Been Rolling Your Shirtsleeves Wrong Your Entire Life | Business Insider
- Here's Your Complete Preview Of This Week's Big Economic Events | Business Insider
- Watch Martin Zweig Predict A Market Crash The Friday Before 'Black Monday' | Business Insider
- A Fight About How To Whiten Your Teeth Went All... | Business Insider
- Google's Former CEO Reveals The Complicated Search Question He Wants... | Business Insider