Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How The Fed Creates Zombies In One Simple Flow Chart | ZeroHedge
- Why A Chinese Developer's Default Means Trouble For New York Real Estate | ZeroHedge
- Earnings & Events On Tap | iBankCoin.com
- Number Of Companies Beating Revenue Estimates Hits Lowest Level In Two Years | ZeroHedge
- Gold, The SDR, & BRICS | ZeroHedge
- Inside The Fed's "Doomsday" Bunker | ZeroHedge
- New Highs To Nowhere On Nothing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- International rescuers, aid dispatched to Nepal quake | Business Insider
- Amazon's true brilliance shone this week in a tale of three... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's campaign says this new... | Business Insider
- Liverpool's Lallana still has Champions League in... | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank Q1 profits fall 50% over litigation costs | Business Insider
- 9 ways Google’s smartwatches are better than the Apple Watch (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider
- Women get asked this seemingly-harmless question all the time, but... | Business Insider