Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- To Celebrate The Bull Market Anniversary, Sbarro Files Second Bankruptcy In Three Years | ZeroHedge
- The Fallacy Of Forward Guidance In 4 Charts | ZeroHedge
- The Devil Lurking In The Retail Store Closure Details | ZeroHedge
- Global Debt Exceeds $100 Trillion | ZeroHedge
- Trip Down Memory Lane: The Full Ukraine Crisis Timeline | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Understanding Why It Feels Different This Time | ZeroHedge
- Supply and Demand Report 9 Mar | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How A 20-Something CEO Running A $2 Billion Company Got Mark Cuban To Become His... | Business Insider
- Netflix Revenues Are Closing In... | Business Insider
- Late Seagram Heir Edgar Bronfman's Fifth Avenue Penthouse Is On Sale For $65... | Business Insider
- This Video Of 20 Strangers Kissing For The First Time Is Going Insanely Viral | Business Insider
- Here's A Solid Gold Flappy Bird For The Ultimate Fan Of The Game | Business Insider
- Google Business Chief Nikesh Arora Is Getting A $3.5 Million Bonus (GOOG) | Business Insider
- SHAQ: I Spend $1,000 Per Week Buying Apps | Business Insider