Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Full List Of Hillary's Planned Tax Hikes | ZeroHedge
- Who Buys Legal Weed? | ZeroHedge
- There Is Now A Marketplace For White People To Make Reparations Payments | ZeroHedge
- Bridgewater Fires Back At NYTimes 'Sex Scandal' Story: Firm Is "Not For Everyone" | ZeroHedge
- Oil Extends Losses as EIA Reports Filling Inventories | Financial Sense
- Don't Show President Obama This Chart | ZeroHedge
- Monte Paschi Bailout In Peril As 3 Banks Walk Out: Are More "Pensioner Suicides" Next? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Native Ad Report: Revenue forecasts and top drivers | Business Insider
- George R. R. Martin's releasing a new book (but not the one you want) | Business Insider
- When Marissa Mayer added free food at Yahoo, employees 'scrambled to stuff themselves' (YHOO) | Business Insider
- REMITTANCES EXPLAINED: How funds are transferred across borders, and why digital is poised... | Business Insider
- THE DIGITAL REMITTANCE REPORT: The new platforms disrupting a $600 billion industry | Business Insider
- The housing market is still hot in many parts of the... | Business Insider
- WE'RE HIRING: Join Business Insider as a Senior Research Analyst! | Business Insider