Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Initial Jobless Claims Average Nears 40-Year Low | ZeroHedge
- Biderman Blasts "Either Obama Is Ignorant, Or He Is Hiding The Truth" | ZeroHedge
- Low Oil Prices Hurting U.S. Shale Operations | Financial Sense
- Silver, Copper Slammed As Commodities Crumble Into US Open | ZeroHedge
- The Many Ways The State Taxes The Poor | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: October 30 | ZeroHedge
- These Five Stocks Are for Fighting AND for Fun | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Navy SEAL Who Killed Bin... | Business Insider
- Israel police kill Palestinian after attack on hardliner... | Business Insider
- Amateur Video Shows NASA Rocket Exploding In Massive Ball Of Flames | Business Insider
- Tax summit in Berlin aims to say goodbye to banking... | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (FB, VZ, AAPL, YHOO, EA) | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider
- Ukraine and Russia tackle gas crisis as tensions spike | Business Insider