Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Consumer Confidence Rises Again | Financial Sense
- The Five Cities Most At Risk For The Next Big Earthquake | ZeroHedge
- Employers Aren’t Just Whining: The “Skills Gap” Is Real | Financial Sense
- Obama Makes Another Ukraine Statement: Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- More Big Cats Stalking This Prey | iBankCoin.com
- ECB Hires Blackrock For ABS-Buying Advice; Crushes Idea Of Upcoming QE | ZeroHedge
- A Bearish Sign For Treasurys? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Poker-Funded Startup Is Revolutionizing The Flower Industry | Business Insider
- How Apple's Smartwatch Announcement Triggered Chaos At... | Business Insider
- Apple's Smartwatch Will Debut On September 9 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Story Claims 'Clever' Panda May Have Deliberately Faked Her Own... | Business Insider
- 4 Under-$10 Biotech Stocks in Breakout Territory | TheStreet.com
- After-Hours Stock Movers... | StreetInsider.com
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com