Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deflation Is Winning - Beware! | ZeroHedge
- China Carnage Continues; Investors "Lost & Concerned" Despite PBOC Reassurance | ZeroHedge
- Reports Of Secret Drachma Plots Leave Tsipras Facing Fresh Crisis | ZeroHedge
- "Rammed" - Fiat Chrysler Forced To Buy Back 500,000 Pickup Trucks From Customers In Historic Settlement | ZeroHedge
- The Digital Vortex That Eats Companies | Financial Sense
- Beware, The Disappearing Retirement Fund | ZeroHedge
- Meet The Kagans: Seeking War To The End Of The World | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This animation collects and analyzes all the theories... | Business Insider
- This man wants to use corrective brain implants instead of the... | Business Insider
- Google has admitted that releasing Google Glass early... | Business Insider
- Suspicion and animosity makes Tour success Froome's... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump's lawyer goes nuts on reporters for writing controversial... | Business Insider
- Fiat Chrysler could be fined $105 million over recalls | Business Insider
- Why you should watch 'Rick and Morty' —Adult Swim's brilliant twist on all things... | Business Insider