Covered Call Picks (JCP,DNDN,TNA,ABX,BBRY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||17.7||18||0.6||3.20%||May 2013|
|DNDN||Dendreon Corp||3.98||4||0.1||3.00%||May 2013|
|TNA||Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares||47.4||47.5||1.1||2.30%||May 2013|
|ABX||Barrick Gold Corp||20.9||21||0.4||2.10%||May 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15.5||16||0.3||1.90%||May 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $17.72. Its 52 week range is between $13.55 and $34.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $3.98. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $9.34.
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 3X Shares (TNA) is currently trading at $47.39. Its 52 week range is between $20.77 and $46.89.
Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) is currently trading at $20.88. Its 52 week range is between $17.51 and $43.3.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $15.54. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Michael Hudson: Trump Is Obama's Legacy - Is This The End Of The Democratic Party? | ZeroHedge
- Trump Son-In-Law Kushner To Testify On Russia Ties | ZeroHedge
- Shell's New Permian Play Profitable At $20 A Barrel | ZeroHedge
- 30Y Treasury Yield Back Below 3.00% As Shorts Squeezed To Lowest Since November | ZeroHedge
- Visualizing The World's Deepest Oil Well | ZeroHedge
- NY Fed: "Oil Prices Fell Due To Weakening Demand" | ZeroHedge
- Despite Dip-Buying Panic, The Dow Has Not Seen Longer Losing Streak Than This Since 1978 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'The 4-Hour Workweek'... | Business Insider
- Wells Fargo rolls out card-free ATMs (WFG) | Business Insider
- These are the watches worn by the most powerful CEOs in the world | Business Insider
- The Oakland Raiders are moving to Las Vegas —... | Business Insider
- Top Democrat tears into House Intel chair Devin Nunes: '... | Business Insider
- 12 cool things we noticed in the new 'Justice League' trailer | Business Insider
- The 3 plays in sports everybody will be talking about today | Business Insider