Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is It Time to Ignore the Fed? | Financial Sense
- "Happy" Labor Day | ZeroHedge
- A Look at the Coming 30-Year Inflation Cycle | Financial Sense
- The US Guide To Middle-Eastern Terror Groups (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 2 | ZeroHedge
- Double Whammy China PMI Misses Spark Sell-Side Demands For More Stimulus | ZeroHedge
- Where Do ISIS Fighters Come From? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Family Dollar Takeover: The Ball Is in Dollar General’s Court | TheStreet.com
- iPhone 6 Sales Will Be So Big That They'll Move The Needle On Chinese Exports... | Business Insider
- 'Disaster Relief Mansions' Are Tearing... | Business Insider
- MITT ROMNEY: Obama's 'Mistakes' Led To The Rise Of ISIS | Business Insider
- 12 McDonald's Russian Stores Closed as Hostilities Mount | TheStreet.com
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Six dead in Paris suburb building explosion | Business Insider