Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The U.S. and Russia Are Gas Giants | Financial Sense
- How To Go Out At The Top | Altucher Confidential
- Apocalypse Preview: Chinese River Turns Blood-Red | ZeroHedge
- How and Why the Chinese Are Buying Property Outside of China | Financial Sense
- The Chinese vs Japanese Navy Head To Head: An Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Argentina Bonds/Currency Tumble As Delegation Snubs Mediation | ZeroHedge
- Is This Why The Market Just Turned Green? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 15 Coolest Things At San Diego Comic-Con | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar Merge, Coach & Herbalife Earnings, Jim's Marathon | TheStreet.com
- A Surprising Number Of Harvard Grads Admit They Have Cheated | Business Insider
- Stocks Are Sliding (FDO, DLTR, Z, TRLA, HLF, LOCO, SPX, SPY, QQQ, DIA) | Business Insider
- Why Gilead Sciences Stock Is Up Today | TheStreet.com
- 9 Surprising Facts About Retail Giant Wal-Mart | Business Insider