Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The AAPL Effect: Q4 Earnings Growth Without Apple: 0%; With Apple: 2.1% | ZeroHedge
- How "Unequal" Is Your State? | ZeroHedge
- Syriza’s Victory Is Not the End but the Beginning | Financial Sense
- 16% Of Global Government Bonds Now Have A Negative Yield: Here Is Who's Buying It | ZeroHedge
- "We Can't Do This Forever," Fed Admits "Market Will Overwhelm Us" | ZeroHedge
- Q4 Annualized GDP Misses, Tumbles To 2.6% From 5.0%; Surging Personal Consumption Pulled Forward From 2015 | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Ascending Contingencies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how to figure out the odds of winning your Super Bowl office pool | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- 3 Biggest Takeaways From Google's Latest Earnings Report | TheStreet.com
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, AMZN, GOOG,... | Business Insider
- China bank says business 'normal' as chief... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com