Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Here Comes a “Godzilla” El Niño | Financial Sense
- The Whipsaw Continues | iBankCoin.com
- Hillary "Favorability" Nears All-Time Low | ZeroHedge
- Is a Global Debt Deleveraging At Our Doorstep? | ZeroHedge
- What Declining Global Reserves Mean For Bond Yields: Goldman's Take | ZeroHedge
- China's "Historic" 70th Victory Day Parade: Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- "If I Don't Come Home, Look After My Wife": What Happens In China If You Sell Stocks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here is the exact ballot question Britain will answer when it votes on... | Business Insider
- US productivity up 3.3 percent in spring, labor costs fall... | Business Insider
- After a month, Windows 10 is already more widespread than OS X Yosemite (... | Business Insider
- The Latest: Los Angeles City Council backs 2024 Olympics... | Business Insider
- The New York Stock Exchange is under attack for the way it handled... | Business Insider
- On Arctic voyage, Obama banks on power of his celebrity | Business Insider
- 11 choices rich people make that the rest of us don’t | Business Insider