Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A U.S. Recession Is Unlikely | Financial Sense
- NSA Whistleblower Speaks: "The Ultimate Goal is Total Population Control" | ZeroHedge
- Fed Members Reach Peak Complacency | ZeroHedge
- Germany Wins | ZeroHedge
- $22 Billion in California Homes Sold to Chinese All-Cash Buyers | Financial Sense
- The Most Hated Bull! | Financial Sense
- At Least Wall Street Has A Sense Of Humor | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New Coverage for Sterling, Revisions for Proctor & Gamble | TheStreet.com
- 13 San Francisco Homes That Sold For Much More Than Their Asking Price | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Two Men Were Arrested For Allegedly Smoking Heroin In A Chuck E. Cheese... | Business Insider
- Meet The Cutest Robots In The World | Business Insider
- Why Bank of America Stock Is Down This Morning | TheStreet.com
- Corporate America Is Still Finding Ways To Cut Costs (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, MKC, CAG, GIS,... | Business Insider