Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Biotech Rampage | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: March 5 | ZeroHedge
- The Silence of the Lambs | ZeroHedge
- Private Police: Mercenaries For The American Police State | ZeroHedge
- An Update on Brazil’s Flagging Economy | Financial Sense
- GDP Gives Market No Tail-Wind | Financial Sense
- Thanks For The Corporate Bond Bubble, Fed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ellen Pao could take the stand today in her... | Business Insider
- 9 great deals on golf equipment [up to 48%] | Business Insider
- We now have an explanation for Friday's horrendous economic report | Business Insider
- Australia floats prisoner swap to save Indonesia pair | Business Insider
- The story of one man's arrest illustrates the horrifying police practices in Ferguson | Business Insider
- 20 amazing scientific discoveries that have already been made this year... | Business Insider
- Apple reportedly delays production of larger iPad (AAPL) | Business Insider