Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ECB Blames You For Negative Interest Rates | ZeroHedge
- Is the Dollar’s Major Bull Run Over? | Financial Sense
- Just Two Headlines: For Oil 2016 Is Setting Up To Be A Rerun Of Last Year | ZeroHedge
- Chart of the Day: With Stocks Near All-Time Highs, Financial Stress Turns Negative | Financial Sense
- Bank of Japan: The Limits Of Monetary Tinkering | ZeroHedge
- "It Has Been A While Since We’ve Had A Profitable Quarter To Report" - Einhorn's First Quarter Letter | ZeroHedge
- Is Wall Street Cyber Secure? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yahoo has been 'welcoming' to the new... | Business Insider
- Younger football players are more likely to return to the... | Business Insider
- The White House doesn't know if Obama will drink the water when he visits Flint | Business Insider
- This Victoria's Secret model has an insane workout routine | Business Insider
- There's a Hawaiian tubing adventure that takes people through an old... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- 7 incredibly tiny details you never noticed in your iPhone | Business Insider