Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ACI,IOC,ARNA,CLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||35.7||36||3.7||10.40%||May 2013|
|ACI||Arch Coal Inc||4.89||5||0.3||6.30%||May 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||77||77.5||4.8||6.20%||May 2013|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.95||8||0.5||6.20%||May 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||17.7||18||1||5.80%||May 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $35.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.15 and $41.42.
Arch Coal Inc (ACI) is currently trading at $4.89. Its 52 week range is between $4.47 and $10.26.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $76.99. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.97. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $13.5.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $17.65. Its 52 week range is between $16.96 and $69.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Education Session is now LIVE on Ticker.tv | FundMyMutualFund
- Maybe Oil Goes to $70 on its Way to $40 | ZeroHedge
- Conrad Black: The Saudis Fear Western Alliance With Iran; Crashing Oil Is Their Retaliation | ZeroHedge
- Draghi Risks Becoming the Boy Who Cried Wolf Over QE | Financial Sense
- What Are Technical Indicators Saying About the Market? | Financial Sense
- Why Germany Objects To ECB QE (In 1 Crazy Chart) | ZeroHedge
- HOPE MANY ANALYSTS WERE WRONG?...let me count the ways | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Pakistan plans to execute 500 terror convicts,... | Business Insider
- Pope launches scathing attack on Vatican plagued by ills... | Business Insider
- Wall Street Is Calling For The Resignation Of An Investment Billionaire | Business Insider
- Spot-on Napoli beat Juventus to Super Cup | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider