Pot Stocks for 2014 (MJNA, PHOT, CBIS)
At the start of the year we reviewed the stocks you can buy that are involved in the legal and medical marijuana trade. We check back on them today and see that they are all still penny stocks. Medical Marijuana (MJNA), GrowLife (PHOT), Greengro Technologies (GRNH) and Cannabis Science (CBIS) are the only stocks we would recommend trading at this point in time.
You have to go with market cap when reviewing this line-up of pot heads. In consideration are the following Tickers: MJNA, HEMP, ERBB, PHOT, GRNH, CBIS
|Company name||Price||Mkt Cap|
|GRNH||GreenGro Tech., Inc.||0.476||71.86M|
|CBIS||Cannabis Science Inc||0.222||169.01M|
Taking 1st place with the largest market cap is Medical Marijuana (MJNA), followed by GrowLife (PHOT) then Cannabis Science (CBIS). I'm going to throw out Greengro Technologies (GRNH) as I hate penny stocks to begin with. Let's just concern ourselves with MJNA, PHOT and CBIS. All we care about is making the right investment and getting a return on our investment.
Caution: All these 'pot stocks' are very volatile and subject to 'pump and dump' scams. Please do not allocated more than 3% of your portfolio or hard earned cash toward these companies. It is not worth the risk. If you are hoping to make millions by buying these stocks you are going to lose. Don't do it.
Words of caution from seasoned investors about putting money into pot plays are easy to find. Fund manager Frank Igarra: "There might be one or two that survive, but having seen crazes like this, people have been burned by them a lot. The average investor should think twice."
MJNA has had an exciting January, with the Jan 27, 2014 close of $0.3999 being a nearly 160% increase from $0.155 close of December 31, 2013. Daily volume has increased dramatically as well, with the volume on January 28 exceeding 117 million shares, or twelve (12) percent of the outstanding shares, though the stock closed down 3.2% at $0.387.
Too much to risk and MJNA is the darling of the legal pot stocks.
SMOKE IF YOU GOT EM
Personally I would rather bet on big tobacco via Altria (MO), Reynolds American (RAI) or Lorillard Inc. (LO). MO is not going to roll over if these pot companies take off. Big money always win and that rings true for tabacco.
Of those three you have to go with the healthy expensive cigarette maker of American Spirit Reynolds American (RAI). RAI packs a 5% annual dividend yield and closed Friday at $48.76. None of those ganga stocks pay a dividend and trade over $1. I'll go with the true legal option.
NYSE: RAI - Feb 7 4:01 PM ET
Bottom line: Don't waste your time on pot stocks, you'll get smoked. Big tabacco rules this world and pays dividends, i.e. RAI, LO, MO.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama's Former Chief Economist Has Some Words Of Encouragement For US Workers | ZeroHedge
- The Drought Goes From Bad To Catastrophic | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Misses By Most In 11 Months, Employment Plunges, Blames Russia & Gaza | ZeroHedge
- Energy Myths and Conspiracy Theories | Financial Sense
- The Coming Slump | ZeroHedge
- Risk Off As Employment Costs Surge: This Is Where Wages Supposedly Rose The Most | ZeroHedge
- Humanity May Face Choice By 2040: Conventional Energy Or Drinking Water | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Most Expensive Homes In Finance, Ranked! | Business Insider
- Biotech Stock Mailbag: Arrowhead, Catalyst Pharma | TheStreet.com
- GARY SHILLING: In This Risk-On Environment, Here Are 9 Investments I Like | Business Insider
- The Company Behind One Of The Best Android Phones You Can Buy Is Now Making A... | Business Insider
- BRIAN BELSKI: We Should Have The Necessary Ingredients To Keep This Bull Market... | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Here's The Next Big Marvel Villain That Gets Teased In 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' | Business Insider