Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: April 15 | ZeroHedge
- A Quick Note on Hammer Time | iBankCoin.com
- The Oil & Gas Show | iBankCoin.com
- Afternoon Roll Call | iBankCoin.com
- Dow Soars 350 Points In 27 Hours | ZeroHedge
- 85% of Pension Funds to Fail in Three Decades | Financial Sense
- India’s Nuclear Energy Future at Risk in Elections | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Massive Private Island In The Bahamas — Once Listed For $55 Million —... | Business Insider
- Joakim Noah's Perfect Reaction To Finding Out It's Snowing In April | Business Insider
- Ignore the Haters: Marissa Mayer Is Doing Incredibly Well at Yahoo! | TheStreet.com
- New York Mayor Bill De Blasio Pays A Lower Tax Rate Than Mitt Romney | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Greek Soccer Team Surrounds The Field With A Ring Of Flares Before A Game | Business Insider
- Brad Pitt To Star As Gen. Stan McChrystal In Film About Army Officer's Infamous Downfall | Business Insider