Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Energy Sector Weighs on Market as Selloff Continues | Financial Sense
- Why The U.S. Is the Next Greece: Doug Casey On America's Economic Problems | ZeroHedge
- WTI Crude Crashes To $45 Handle - Lowest Since March | ZeroHedge
- US Recession Imminent As Factory Orders Plunge For 8th Consecutive Month | ZeroHedge
- Why The Commodity Carnage Matters (In 1 Simple Chart) | ZeroHedge
- Russia Ready To Send Paratroopers To Syria | ZeroHedge
- Both Sales and Earnings Are Rolling Over With Stocks Near All-Time Highs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Construction spending barely budged in June | Business Insider
- Donald Trump had a brilliant response to Gawker giving out his... | Business Insider
- This home-cleaning service shows everything that startups do horribly wrong | Business Insider
- The US Treasury still doesn't know what is going on in the... | Business Insider
- Egypt seeks cash, prestige boost with 'new Suez Canal... | Business Insider
- Drugs group Shire says bids $30 bn for rival Baxalta | Business Insider
- Here's how Eminem used exercise to overcome a drug addiction | Business Insider