Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Democracy: The God That's Failing | ZeroHedge
- Trump Has Syphilis? | ZeroHedge
- New Political Turmoil In Italy After Renzi Quits As Ruling Party Leader, Triggering Re-election Battle | ZeroHedge
- The Great White Hurricane | Financial Sense
- How A Major Bank "Calculated" That 20x P/E Is Now "Fair Value" | ZeroHedge
- The "Russia Scare" Coalition: ISIL's "Useful Idiots"? | ZeroHedge
- The Art And Pseudoscience Of Monetary Policy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The new Acura NSX reset our expectations of what a supercar can be | Business Insider
- BAML: This is the most overcrowded trade | Business Insider
- This fascinating map is the Ottoman Empire’s take on the United States In 1803 | Business Insider
- You've probably been using aluminum foil wrong your whole... | Business Insider
- This creepy tool reveals how Facebook's AI tracks and... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- 4 billion years of technology in one infographic | Business Insider