Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Just 3 Energy Charts | ZeroHedge
- OH YEAH | iBankCoin.com
- "Some North Korean Folks Are Hacking..." President Obama Explains "Costs" - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Variegated Contemplations | ZeroHedge
- ObamaCar: Automobile Insurance Subsidized Hope Act | ZeroHedge
- Just One Question About Yesterday's Last Minute "Berserk ETF" Freak Out | ZeroHedge
- The Fed NEEDS Inflation Otherwise the Bond Bubble Will Burst | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Obama Downplays Sony Hack | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Former No. 1 Pick Andrew Bogut Took Control Of His Finances To Prepare For Life After... | Business Insider
- This Hugely Successful, Humble CEO Has Found A Cure For 'Impostor... | Business Insider
- Adam Feuerstein's 2014 Biotech Stock Report Card (No Grading on a Curve) | TheStreet.com
- See How Many Of 2014's Biggest Events You Can Spot In This... | Business Insider
- Here's What The US Could Do In Response To... | Business Insider