Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
- Louis-Vincent Gave: Asia Best Looking Market Right Now | Financial Sense
- With A Market Cap Of $168 Billion, Alibaba Is Bigger Than... | ZeroHedge
- The NYSE Would Like You To Know All Is Well As BABA Looms | ZeroHedge
- When It Comes To Net Worth, This Is The Main Difference Between China And The US | ZeroHedge
- The Scotland Referendum: Who Voted How And Why? | ZeroHedge
- Scotland Says "No" - The Results So Far: NO 54.3% - 45.7% YES (26/32 In: NO 21 - 5 YES) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wikipedia's Most Prolific Editor Explains Why The Site Is Stronger Than People... | Business Insider
- Here's The Fastest Growing County In Every State | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- IT'S OFFICIAL: ALIBABA WILL BE THE LARGEST IPO EVER (BABA, YHOO) | Business Insider
- Peter Thiel Explains Why PayPal Paid Customers To Sign Up In The Early Days | Business Insider
- Oops! Joan Rivers Promotes iPhone 6 In Pre-Scheduled Social... | Business Insider
- Apple Is Just One Step Away From Ending The Block On iPhone 6 In... | Business Insider