Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- With Republicans In Disarray, And No Debt Ceiling Deal, All Eyes Turn To November 18 When The US Runs Out Of Cash | ZeroHedge
- Do You See What Happens, Alcoa, When Your "Restructuring" Non-GAAP Addbacks Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Oct 8, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- FOMC Becomes Self-Aware: Lockhart "Understands" Why People May Be "Skeptical" Of The Fed | ZeroHedge
- Simply Dreadful US Jobs Report | Financial Sense
- NIRP, Its Likelihood and Effect on Commodities | Financial Sense
- Fed Admits "Changes In Asset Prices", "Decline In Equity Prices" Influenced Rate Decision | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOP in tumult after McCarthy's withdrawal from... | Business Insider
- Land Rover is coming out with a new drop-top SUV | Business Insider
- Donaldson leaves playoff game after taking knee to head | Business Insider
- Kremlin: Military strikes in Syria not big financial... | Business Insider
- Pentagon head: US to change Syrian rebel training program... | Business Insider
- Receding floodwaters lead to homecoming heartbreak | Business Insider
- The Latest: Nobel literature award to be announced | Business Insider