Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- McDonalds Misses Revenue, Earnings Estimates: Blames Weather | ZeroHedge
- Nuclear Leads The Way | iBankCoin.com
- "Faith" In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Banks And 100,000 ‘Outlets’ Selling Gold!! | ZeroHedge
- Second US Warship Enters Black Sea To "Promote Peace And Stability" | ZeroHedge
- Tuesday Pop Turns To Einhorn Drop As Stocks Stumble Into Close | ZeroHedge
- Two Measures of Inflation | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The Best Candidates For Earth 2.0 | Business Insider
- Kevin Durant Makes A Preposterous 3-Pointer While Getting Fouled And Falling Into The Stands | Business Insider
- Bill Ackman And Valeant Pharma Are Reportedly Making A Bid On Botox-Maker Allergan | Business Insider
- These 23 Countries Have More Than Doubled Military Spending In The Last... | Business Insider
- There's A 'Warby Parker Of Mattresses' That's Shipping... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider