Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A BRieF MeSSaGe ReGaRDiNG RaCiSM... | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Continues to Expand | Financial Sense
- Russian Sanctions Leading To Economic Contraction... In Germany? | ZeroHedge
- Four Issues for the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Tapering Is Now Tightening | Financial Sense
- They Call Them Junk Bonds For A Reason... | ZeroHedge
- 'Archduke Ferdinand' Moment? Drums Of War Grow Louder In Ukraine and Middle East | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Scammers Are Creating Fake Facebook Accounts Using The Names Of MH17 Victims | Business Insider
- DEUTSCHE BANK: Here's The Worst-Case Scenario For The Russia-Ukraine... | Business Insider
- Instagram Deleted This Young Woman's Account After She Posted... | Business Insider
- The 10 Best Ice Cream Shops In The US, According To Pinterest Users | Business Insider
- These New Technologies Are Making Smartphones Less... | Business Insider
- Cinnabon President Kat Cole Shares Her Best Advice For Getting Ahead | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know As Asian Markets Open | Business Insider