Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Slump Into The Red After IMF Comments | ZeroHedge
- NSA Leak Reveals Both Merkel And Schauble Saw Greek Debt As Unsustainable Even After Haircut | ZeroHedge
- "It Could Never Happen Here" - America Is Not Greece | ZeroHedge
- June Payrolls Increase By 223K, Less Than Expected; Unemployment Rate Drops To 5.3% | ZeroHedge
- Black Churches Are Burning Across The South, Arson Eyed | ZeroHedge
- Rosenberg on Greece, US Economy, and Stocks | Financial Sense
- "What If Berlin And Frankfurt Do Not Budge" - How Varoufakis Saw The "Worst Case Scenario" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sponsors will quit FIFA without reform - ex official | Business Insider
- After-Hours Stock Movers... | StreetInsider.com
- The Cavaliers are making a $230 million bet that last year's team is... | Business Insider
- Wages whiff | Business Insider
- Japan beat England 2-1 to reach World Cup final | Business Insider
- The same trick that could save you money buying a car also works for online shopping | Business Insider
- One CEO explains why he refuses to have an office | Business Insider