Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China's Capital Outflows Are Soaring Again: Goldman Finds Sept. FX Flows Surged To $78 Billion | ZeroHedge
- European Mars Lander Crashed On Impact | ZeroHedge
- Obama Warned Of Rigged Elections Back In 2008: "It Helps We Got Democrats In Charge Of Machines" | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Support For Legalizing Marijuana Hits All-Time High | ZeroHedge
- NSA Whistleblower: US Intelligence Worker Likely Behind DNC Leaks, Not Russia | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bars Go to $6 Premium in China as Yuan Hits Fresh 6-Year Lows on Capital Outflows | Financial Sense
- Germans Are Leaving Germany 'In Droves' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how a $50 drug ends up costing you $700 in America's... | Business Insider
- THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE... | Business Insider
- Here's how the 'Internet of Things' is being used for major... | Business Insider
- Iran president Rouhani: US election is a choice between ‘bad’ and ‘worse’ | Business Insider
- Mass prison break in Haiti: 174 inmates flee after killing guard | Business Insider
- One of our favorite watch startups added a feature to its watches that make them perfect for business travelers... | Business Insider
- These factors predict how likely you are to support Donald Trump | Business Insider