Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chicago Pension Liabilities Jump 168%, Understated by $11.5 Billion | Financial Sense
- More Young Americans Live With Their Parents Than At Any Time Since The Great Depression | ZeroHedge
- FBI's Own Report Exposes "War On Cops" As Pure Propaganda | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Scaremongering Taken To New Level With Threat Of "Year Long Recession" | ZeroHedge
- In Historic First, Singapore Shuts Local Private Bank Due To "Worst Gross Misconduct" Is Has Ever Seen | ZeroHedge
- Is the Derivatives Market About to Implode the Big Banks Again? | ZeroHedge
- What It Takes To Be President Of The American Police State | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google has stopped selling its Nexus streaming player (GOOG) | Business Insider
- This helpful tool makes Netflix an easy way to learn a new... | Business Insider
- Walmart is falling behind in the e-commerce race | Business Insider
- The Golden State Warriors are no longer the favorite to win the NBA... | Business Insider
- Leaked images of the new iPhone appear to confirm one of the biggest rumors (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Polls are showing that Donald Trump might have a big problem if he refuses to release his... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek