Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- THE SUM OF ALL FEARS | ZeroHedge
- Social Justice, Prosperity, and Precious Metals | ZeroHedge
- Can Big Oil Continue to Pay Dividends? | Financial Sense
- Here Is The Reason Why Twitter Is Crashing After Hours | ZeroHedge
- Even WSJ Admits OPEC Production Cut Story "May Be Bogus" | ZeroHedge
- The Great Reset | ZeroHedge
- What Kind of Power Will China Become? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Scientists have given up hope of restoring contact... | Business Insider
- The new 'Netflix for pirated movies' might leave you... | Business Insider
- A human rights group wants your old USB drives to help overthrow Kim Jong Un | Business Insider
- These are the best cheap tablets you can buy | Business Insider
- How much to spend on a gift for your partner this Valentine's Day | Business Insider
- 16 signs your boss secretly has a crush on you | Business Insider
- Miscarriages have been reported in 2 American women with the Zika virus | Business Insider