Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Recount 2016 Not the Same as Bush vs. Gore, But Uncertainty Remains | Financial Sense
- 20 Billion Barrels of Oil Were Not Discovered in the Permian Basin | Financial Sense
- The Aftermath of the US Election And Its Implications Moving Forward | Financial Sense
- More Bad News For Jill Stein As Pennsylvania Judge Blocks Recount Petitions | ZeroHedge
- Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz Is Stepping Down | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Stock Slides After "Cutting Off" 3,400 "Non-Strategic" Trading Clients | ZeroHedge
- The Quality of China’s Yuan Deteriorates – In One Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook working on a plan to pick news... | Business Insider
- LeBron James has obsessed over each of his teammates' preferences... | Business Insider
- Video by New York Times reporter shows just how massive the Standing Rock... | Business Insider
- France's Francois Hollande will not seek a second term | Business Insider
- 7 TED Talks you should watch if you want to be an... | Business Insider
- China has lodged a diplomatic protest following Trump's... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FINISH FLAT AFTER A LUKEWARM JOBS... | Business Insider