Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- General Market Observations 6-28-2016 (Video) | ZeroHedge
- What Is The Source Of Today's Buying Panic: RBC Explains | ZeroHedge
- "Choppy Conditions" - British Pound, Stocks Plunge As Market Await China Open | ZeroHedge
- US Stocks Erase All Post-QE3 Gains, Tumble To Fed Balance Sheet 'Reality' Once More | ZeroHedge
- In Latest Shock To Status Quo, Spanish Left-Wing Parties Set To Win Parliamentary Majority | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Is What Happens When The Pie Is Shrinking | ZeroHedge
- Why China Is Arming Its Fishing Fleet | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Iceland shocks England, advances to European Championship quarterfinals | Business Insider
- Drones are about to fill the skies within the next 5 years... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Google-affiliated Sidewalk Labs has big plans for its 'city of the future' | Business Insider
- You won’t recognize the new world of digital payments without... | Business Insider
- Anna Kendrick has a great philosophy that explains why she can do so many... | Business Insider
- Here's the career advice President Obama gives... | Business Insider