Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is The Future For Saudi Aramco? | ZeroHedge
- Where Does the Gold Trade Stand | ZeroHedge
- Economic Expansion Ahead? | Financial Sense
- Crash Contagion: Second Chinese Billionaire Wiped Out In Seconds After Stock Instacrash | ZeroHedge
- Even Harvard Economists Admit Fed Policy Has "Created Dangerous Risks" | ZeroHedge
- ETSY Crashes Over 55% From Highs, Breaks Below IPO Price | ZeroHedge
- ABC's of the AIIB | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Marks & Spencer has a big problem — it's... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 5/21: (CVS)/(OCR... | StreetInsider.com
- How your phone tracks your every move... | Business Insider
- Sunderland survive after Arsenal stalemate | Business Insider
- THE VIRTUAL REALITY REPORT: Forecasts, market size, and the trends driving... | Business Insider
- EU, ex-Soviet states meet in Putin's shadow | Business Insider
- Spotify can now pick a song for you based on how fast you’re running | Business Insider