Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Goldman Tapes And Why The Delusion Of Macro-Prudential Regulation Means The Next Crash Is Nigh | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Corporate Profits and Market Peaks - Are We There Yet? | Financial Sense
- Weekend Video Analysis 09/28/14 | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Tumble; High-Yield Credit Risk Spikes To 1-Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- PIMCO-ToTaL LiQuiDaTioN SaLe! | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela's "21st Century Socialism": Food Lines For The People, New Cars For The Military | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bill Gross Departure Not Seen as ‘Imminent Risk’ to Pimco Total Return | TheStreet.com
- Microsoft Is Likely To Reveal The Next Version Of Windows Tomorrow (MSFT,... | Business Insider
- A Developer Created A Brilliantly Innovative New Way To Use The iPhone's Widgets, But... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- The Day 2 Hong Kong Protests Are Unbelievably Huge | Business Insider
- Here's The Video That Made 9-11 Truthers Think A Senator Was On... | Business Insider
- Chris Pratt Opens SNL Season Premiere With A Funny Song About Himself | Business Insider