Biotech Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VVUS,DNDN,ARNA,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $15.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $28.51. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $29.99.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $6.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.69 and $40.97.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $11.12. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $16.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dramatic Footage: Drone Flies Over Devastated Kathmandu, Reveals Earthquake Destruction | ZeroHedge
- The Informed Minority | ZeroHedge
- Varoufakis "Containment" Sparks Buying-Panic In Greek Bonds; Silver, Crude Pumped As Dollar Dumps | ZeroHedge
- Despite US Services PMI Miss, Markit Says "FOMC Should Normalize Policy Sooner" | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Beats Expectations As China Becomes Dominant iPhone Market; Cash Jumps But So Does Debt | ZeroHedge
- EVeRY MaN'S NiGHTMaRe... | ZeroHedge
- The View at 30,000 Feet | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- REVEALED: A Breakdown Of The Demographics For Each Of The Different Social Networks | Business Insider
- Schmuacher Jnr claims maiden victory in Formula Four | Business Insider
- How Tesco became the world's second-biggest retailer — and why it's... | Business Insider
- Kazakhstan President Nazarbayev 'wins fifth term... | Business Insider
- What the deadly Mount Everest avalanche looked... | Business Insider
- Expect the Fed to have a more 'somber' outlook on the economy this week | Business Insider
- 10 things you didn't know your iPhone's camera could do (AAPL) | Business Insider