Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- N. Korean Nukes Exaggerated; More Questions About American Nukes Too | ZeroHedge
- The Reflationary Window: Open How Wide For How Long? | Financial Sense
- Stockman: "After March 15 Everything Will Grind To A Halt" | ZeroHedge
- Welcome Aboard... But First US Marshals Will Scan Your Retina | ZeroHedge
- Back From Never Gone: CURRENCY WARS | ZeroHedge
- Barclays Server Crash Leaves Customers Unble To Withdraw Cash, Use Debit Cards | ZeroHedge
- China Moves to Put North Korea in Its Place | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The new G6 is unlike any other smartphone LG has made | Business Insider
- Why Uber probably never will reform itself | Business Insider
- A 'complex moment' — Mexico is looking to... | Business Insider
- A little-known Mexican-food chain run by a former Chipotle exec is crushing it | Business Insider
- The same Republicans who... | Business Insider
- Trump tweets wildly misleading comparison of the... | Business Insider
- How California could secede from the US relatively easily | Business Insider