Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pettis: Chinese Debt-Related Shocks to Last for Years | Financial Sense
- What Does Last Week’s Record Bounce Mean For Stocks? | ZeroHedge
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- BiG TRouBLe FoR LiSTeD CHiNa... | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 2 | ZeroHedge
- Meanwhile, In Sweden, Banks Are Refusing To Open Savings Accounts | ZeroHedge
- Weapons of Economic Misdirection | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sasquatch sighting! Maine police say Bigfoot artist nabbed... | Business Insider
- There are two different Europes right now — Germany and France | Business Insider
- Migrants storm re-opened Budapest train station | Business Insider
- Stricken Fish reaches end of the road | Business Insider
- The New York Stock Exchange is under attack for the way it handled... | Business Insider
- SEC's title hopes may rest on an influx of new... | Business Insider
- Here’s what Facebook knows about you based on your ‘likes’ | Business Insider