Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Search for Yield and Emerging Markets | Financial Sense
- What Happens When Central Banks Become Major Buyers in the Stock Market? Case Study: Japan | Financial Sense
- How Storage Could Transform the US Power Grid | Financial Sense
- Four More Mega-Banks Join The Anti-Dollar Alliance | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of Obama's Louisiana Visit | ZeroHedge
- A Purposeful Show of Russian Force | Financial Sense
- Investors Panic-Buy Saudi Default Protection Ahead Of Big Debt Deal | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This feature in the Rolls-Royce Phantom blew us away | Business Insider
- Turkish and US-backed Syrian rebels have captured a key ISIS border crossing | Business Insider
- Silicon Valley is getting its first-ever public high school that lives on a corporate campus... | Business Insider
- 18 simple social skills that will make you more likable | Business Insider
- Google plans to shut down non-Chrome access to Chrome apps (... | Business Insider
- This super sleek yacht cuts through water like a knife | Business Insider
- The former boss of one of Donald Trump’s foreign policy advisers... | Business Insider