Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece’s Snap Elections Increase Uncertainty About EU Future | Financial Sense
- Police Reportedly Rage, De Blasio's "Hands Are Dripping With Blood" | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Bulls Regain Upper Hand | ZeroHedge
- THe INTeRViEW... | ZeroHedge
- Valuation Estimate of SP500 2015 Returns: 2,246 Target | Financial Sense
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's Teenage Son Mugged Near Home | ZeroHedge
- U.S. vs. Global Shock | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Even the French turning queasy over force-fed foie gras | Business Insider
- Rite Aid Surges on Profit Guidance: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com
- Apple Will Earn $3 Billion Because The iPhone 6 Starts With A Pitiful Amount Of Storage... | Business Insider
- JPMorgan Is Wall Street Analysts' Favorite Bank Stock for 2015 | TheStreet.com
- 16 Awesome Retro Airplane Paint Jobs That Need To Make A Comeback | Business Insider
- French driver attack 'not a terrorist act' | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com