Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When Will the Fed Hike Rates? It All Comes Down to “Patience” | Financial Sense
- $1,000/oz For Silver (Today): A Starting Point | ZeroHedge
- UMich Consumer Sentiment Tumbles Most In 16 Months | ZeroHedge
- The Forgotten War – Understanding The Incredible Debacle Left Behind By NATO In Libya | ZeroHedge
- Lowest Interest Rates Ever | Financial Sense
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Sovereigns Bought by Greeks in Volume - Bank Runs and New Greek Drachmas Designed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- Haunting pictures of an abandoned hospital in the Italian... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- The 40 smartest people of all time | Business Insider
- Airbus profits take off in 2014, no turbulence seen in... | Business Insider
- Samsung was so surprised by its success in the US that it sent people to audit its own... | Business Insider
- Greek bank deposits plunged by £9 billion in January | Business Insider