Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- January Jitters Jolt Stocks - S&P Loses Key 2,000 Level; Bonds' Best Month Since June 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Shake Shak Opens For Trading Valued At 108x EBITDA | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Dijsselbloem To Varoufakis: "You Just Killed Troika" | ZeroHedge
- Asset Price Deflation Coming Up? | Financial Sense
- BURN IN HELL: OIL IS RUNNING LIKE A MAD LION NOW | iBankCoin.com
- Is a Major Bear Market in Stocks Ahead? Important Signs to Watch | Financial Sense
- The German 10 Year Bund Effectively a Call Option at 30 Basis Points | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Djokovic fights off Wawrinka to reach Australian Open... | Business Insider
- Startups face an uphill battle disrupting established tech companies in the... | Business Insider
- Place your bets — Nate Silver just told us who is going to win the... | Business Insider
- Here's how good Tim Cook has been for Apple in one chart (... | Business Insider
- Here's why networking meetings should never last more than 45 minutes | Business Insider
- Here are our official predictions for who wins the Super Bowl | Business Insider
- Merkel rules out debt reduction for Greece | Business Insider