Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap August 28, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- A-D Line Foretells Job Openings | Financial Sense
- French President Says "There Is Risk Of War" As Europe Plans Additional Russia Sanctions | ZeroHedge
- Ebola Outbreak Spreads To 6th African Nation: 20 Cases In Senegal | ZeroHedge
- In Iraq, the United States and Iran Align Against the Islamic State | Financial Sense
- This Is How ISIS Is Building An Airforce | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Remembering Princess Diana: 30 Iconic Photos Of The Princess Of Wales | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Cramer: Tech Trio Comes Through | TheStreet.com
- 50 Days Of War In Gaza May Cost Israel Dearly | Business Insider
- 12 McDonald's Russian Stores Closed as Hostilities Mount | TheStreet.com
- This Is How Google Finds Its Floating Internet Balloons When They're Ready... | Business Insider
- Williams-Sonoma Earnings: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com