Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Thank You, Fed - Warren And Jorge Are Thrilled By Another Play Day In The Casino | ZeroHedge
- Government Report Finds DEA Agents Had "Sex Parties" With Prostitutes Hired By Drug Cartels | ZeroHedge
- US Services PMI Surges To 6-Month Highs, Decouples From Hard Data Reality | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Remains in Growth Territory | Financial Sense
- China Hard Landing: Blame The Smog | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Drop Back Below Dreaded "300k" Level | ZeroHedge
- How The Education System Destroys Social Networks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Saudi Arabia is bombing Iran-backed rebels in Yemen who just plundered US... | Business Insider
- 2 words will decide the fate of a key air pollution rule... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Students at this alternative NYC high school get jobs, not grades | Business Insider