Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
- Goldman Sachs Stopped Out Of "Short Gold" Recommendation | ZeroHedge
- More Lukewarm Econ Data to Match Q1 Earnings | Financial Sense
- "You've Lost Their Confidence" Tom Coburn Exhorts Congress "America Doesn't Trust You Anymore" | ZeroHedge
- Massive Oil Theft By Pirates Costs Nigeria $1.5 Billion Every Month | ZeroHedge
- Amid Rising Fears Of Nuclear Terrorism, Belgium Hands Out Iodine Pills To Entire Population | ZeroHedge
- Jim Bianco Warns "The Risk Of An 'Accident' Is Very High" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The rise of reloadable prepaid... | Business Insider
- We went inside the deadly world of daredevils and outlaws who climb massive buildings for... | Business Insider
- Here's how marketers are using different mobile... | Business Insider
- Pitney Bowes extends e-commerce reach with payments... | Business Insider
- 15 things you probably didn't know you could do... | Business Insider
- The second-largest acquisition in the history of venture capital happened today — here... | Business Insider
- A woman did AcroYoga with her husband throughout her entire pregnancy | Business Insider