Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mark Dice Confronts America's Zombie Shoppers | ZeroHedge
- How The Scots Welcome 'Visitors' | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Bank Hits Customers With Negative Interest Rates; Crazy? What About Velocity? | Financial Sense
- "Friend & Ally" Or "Barbaric Death Cult" - You Decide | ZeroHedge
- What Does History Say About the First Rate Hike and Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Will Next Week Be The Start Of The Crash Of The US Dollar? | ZeroHedge
- US Corporate Earnings, Overseas Sales and the Dollar | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Police: Puig gets swollen eye during encounter with... | Business Insider
- 50 enterprise startups to bet your career on in 2016 | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Too many bowls? At least 2 losing teams will play in bowls... | Business Insider
- LeBron James is bringing back short basketball shorts, and he has a fascinating reason why | Business Insider
- Facebook ramps paid leave time for new dads | Business Insider
- Olympic luge champion Loch disqualified for overweight... | Business Insider