Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dr. Keith Barron on Helicopter Drops, Gold, and Brexit | Financial Sense
- "Brexit" - What Goldman Thinks Will Happen Next, And Who Will Hold The Next Referendum | ZeroHedge
- New Chinese Owner Of Waldorf Astoria Will Convert It Into Condos | ZeroHedge
- UK Labour Party Leader Corbyn Loses Vote Of No Confidence | ZeroHedge
- Kuroda Is Trapped As The BOJ Can't Ease Any Further: Here's Why | ZeroHedge
- Greece To "Name & Shame" Debtors Owing Over EUR300k To The State | ZeroHedge
- Another Red Flag: Growth In Fast Food Visits Has Hit A Wall | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple Pay is struggling to catch on (AAPL) | Business Insider
- You probably don't need to shower | Business Insider
- 17 things you should accomplish before turning 30 | Business Insider
- 'I've read over 40,000 résumés and this is what most people... | Business Insider
- Kevin Love shared a funny anecdote about knowing he had... | Business Insider
- Here's why chat apps are... | Business Insider
- Colleges can now figure out which students will be successful — even before classes start | Business Insider