Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart Of The Day: 150 Years Of Global Monetary Policy | ZeroHedge
- What Iraq Thinks: "It Is Obvious To Everyone That ISIS Is A Creation Of The United States And Israel" | ZeroHedge
- Death-Crossed Russell Suffers Biggest 2-Day Plunge In 5 Months | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 22 | ZeroHedge
- Philly Fed's Hawkish President Charles Plosser To Retire In March 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Lower Oil Prices: Good News Or Bad News? | ZeroHedge
- The Origins and Implications of the Scottish Referendum | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This New Report Shows Why Taxi Drivers Are Terrified Of... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Rockefeller Heirs Join... | Business Insider
- US bombs IS jihadists in Syria: Pentagon | Business Insider
- American Honors America West, the Airline That Took Over the World | TheStreet.com
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, SIAL) | Business Insider
- More Than 130,000 Syrian Kurds Have Fled to Turkey | Business Insider