Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "The Retail Bubble Has Now Burst": A Record 8,640 Stores Are Closing In 2017 | ZeroHedge
- Rising Rates and Shrinking Balance Sheets Pose Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- Existing Home Sales Soar To 10-Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- Why the Big Banks Are Terrified of Le Pen Winning in France (but not BREXIT or Trump) | ZeroHedge
- WTF Just Happened? | ZeroHedge
- Softer Hard Data Weighs on Stocks | Financial Sense
- Paul Tudor Jones Has A Message For Janet Yellen: "Be Terrified" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Another controversial drugmaker just left the industry's most powerful... | Business Insider
- Finally, someone made a work-appropriate backpack that makes sense for... | Business Insider
- Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are facing the same question — but for very... | Business Insider
- Trump's budget director floats a deal with Democrats on the... | Business Insider
- What it's like to eat dinner at the same... | Business Insider
- If the US could have prosecuted Assange, it would have already done so... | Business Insider
- 5 sobering charts that show how many resources Americans use and waste | Business Insider