Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dramatic Footage: How Venezuelans Get Milk Powder | ZeroHedge
- The Tide Has Turned And These Charts Predict The Next Stop | ZeroHedge
- Third Bailout Generates New Political Division in Greece | Financial Sense
- IMF Reiterates Greece Disqualified for Bailout, Participation Depends on Debt Relief and Reforms | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators - Trending Sideways | Financial Sense
- Three Strikes Against the Canadian Dollar | Financial Sense
- Gold Update: Sentiment, Seasonality, and Price Patterns Look Favorable | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trump is lowering expectations about his debating skills ahead... | Business Insider
- Israeli teen dies after being stabbed at gay pride parade | Business Insider
- Welsh village catches a break with world-first surf... | Business Insider
- College freshmen are using Facebook to post the most... | Business Insider
- Those tuning in early for 'The Daily Show' finale Thursday might be in for a... | Business Insider
- Chipotle's biggest competitor isn't McDonald's | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com