Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Peter Schiff Is Furious At "Double Seasonally Adjusted" Economic Data | ZeroHedge
- Stocks, Bonds, Commodities Tumble On Durable Goods "Good News", USD Soars | ZeroHedge
- Chinese State Paper Warns "War Will Be Inevitable" Unless U.S. Stops Meddling In Territorial Dispute | ZeroHedge
- Israel Refuses To Pay Old Oil Debt To Iran | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Self-Driving Car Ploughs Into Journalists | ZeroHedge
- Durable Goods Orders Slide YoY 4th Month In A Row Despite Dramatic Upward Revisions | ZeroHedge
- Chuck Norris Warns Washington On Jade Helm: "Don't Mess With Texas" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Djokovic, Nadal, Serena star in super Tuesday | Business Insider
- Former Apple CEO John Sculley admits Steve Jobs never... | Business Insider
- Hamas executed Palestinians during Israel war: Amnesty | Business Insider
- Really, it's OK if your airliner loses an engine | Business Insider
- Smartphones, Twitter help gauge crowd size | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek