Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap December 5, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- ISM Non-Manufacturing: November Saw Slower Growth Than Expected | Financial Sense
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Trouble For Treasurys, The Technicals Tell | ZeroHedge
- Biggest Drop In Personal Income Since Feb 2010 Can't Stop Borrowers Spending, While Savings Rate Plunges | ZeroHedge
- Food Poverty In The UK Has Reached "Public Health Emergency" Levels | ZeroHedge
- 1929 Analog | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tipping Less Than 20% Will Make You Seem Cheap | Business Insider
- QUIZ: Guess The Biggest Movies Of The Year By Their Taglines | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Mobile Is Poised To Upend The Payments Industry | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- The WSJ Nukes The Judge Who Found Apple... | Business Insider
- Why The Air Force Academy Uses Cadets To Spy On Each Other | Business Insider