Covered Call Picks (IVN,NXY,MS,CTXS,AMD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $18.57. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $29.29.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $8.73. Its 52 week range is between $4.55 and $13.34.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $16.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $31.04.
Citrix Systems Inc (CTXS) is currently trading at $64.11. Its 52 week range is $50.21 and $88.49.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is currently trading at $5.71. Its 52 week range is between $4.31 and $9.58.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Let it Rest | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Prices Spike 2% to 1-Month High as U.S. Stocks Dump With Bond Yields on Poor Retail Sales Data | Financial Sense
- Chain Store Sales Growth Worst Since 2010 (Or Why "The Fed Turned The Market Around") | ZeroHedge
- Battleships And Helicopters Join Hunt For Missing Submarine: Sweden Prepares To "Use Weapons To Surface Sub" | ZeroHedge
- A Closer Look Why Futures Bounced 30 Points Off The Lows On Today's ECB BTFD Bailout | ZeroHedge
- Peak Ponzi: Only 13% Of Loans In Bulgaria's Fourth Largest Bank Had Valid Collateral | ZeroHedge
- 113 Federal Reserve Staff Members Make $250,000 Annually | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Gene Simmons On How He And KISS Frontman Paul Stanley Have Remained Business... | Business Insider
- Here Are The 4 Key Strategies We Need To Stop Ebola | Business Insider
- UNBOXED: The iPad Air 2 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Tour de France offers 2015 Alpe d'Huez finale | Business Insider
- City face CSKA behind closed doors, Guardiola returns... | Business Insider
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Jennifer Lopez Bought A $22 Million Penthouse Next Door To... | Business Insider
- Jerry Jones Made An Unusual Coaching Shake Up Over The Offseason, And It's Paying Off | Business Insider