Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Investor Opinions Have Become Extremely Uniform, and That's Not Good | Financial Sense
- WoRLD TuRTLe DaY 2015 | ZeroHedge
- From the Very Creation of the Internet, U.S. Spy Agencies Fought to Block Encryption | ZeroHedge
- MeMoRiaL DaY 2015: THe LaND OF THE FRee | ZeroHedge
- Bernanke Says "No Large Mispricings In US Securities"; These 5 Charts Say Otherwise | ZeroHedge
- Now Hiring In China: Porn Identification Officers | ZeroHedge
- China Sets Up Gold Investment Fund For Central Banks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Malaysia PM 'deeply concerned' by mass graves | Business Insider
- Millennials are far more likely than older people to 'check up on' their... | Business Insider
- Fukushima operator wins Qatar utility contract | Business Insider
- The 7 heavy-hitters defending the web from cyberattacks | Business Insider
- Spain votes as new forces seek 'historic' change | Business Insider
- Remarkable before-and-after photos make it undeniably clear we're... | Business Insider
- Here's what you get when you order 'Omaha Steaks' in the mail | Business Insider