Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Useful Idiots and the Something For Nothing Society - Part 1 of 3 | ZeroHedge
- Banco Espirito Santo CEO, Who Quit Last Month, Detained In Money Laundering Probe | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 24 | ZeroHedge
- But Wait, There Are A Few Differences Between Amazon and the US Postal Service | ZeroHedge
- America's Dumbest Move Yet: Seizing A Foreign Bank | ZeroHedge
- Here Is How Amazon's Ugliest Quarter In Years Looked Like In Six Charts | ZeroHedge
- Russian Boomerang Hits UK, Oligarchs Shift Assets From London | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What It's Like To Be Part Of New York's Most Renowned Public... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- It's Way Too Early To Say A 'Third Intifada' Has Erupted In... | Business Insider
- Starbucks Earnings Beat By A Penny (SBUX) | Business Insider
- The Best Way To Buy In Stocks Is To Jump In With Both Feet, Says History... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- MannKind Afrezza Partnership News Coming Within Weeks | TheStreet.com