Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Big Four Economic Indicators Near Stall Speed | Financial Sense
- The Crowded "Long-Dollar" Train Just Got Even More Crowded | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Earnings on Deck | iBankCoin.com
- How Long Can U.S. Production Survive Low Oil Prices? | Financial Sense
- The Chart That Explains Why Fed's Bullard Wants To Restart The QE Flow | ZeroHedge
- When Confidence Crumbles | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- After-... | StreetInsider.com
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- GE Posts Better-Than-Expected Results as Its Momentum Is Improving | TheStreet.com
- Seven Totally Cool, New-Techie Products You Need to See | TheStreet.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- EU to scale up Ebola response | Business Insider
- Whisper CEO Tells Users To Email Him If... | Business Insider