Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Financial Collapse Leads To War | ZeroHedge
- NYSE Margin Debt Declined in January | Financial Sense
- History Made: For The First Time Ever, US Consumers Spent More On Food In Restaurants Than In Grocery Stores | ZeroHedge
- Bondholders “Bailed In” In Austria - EU Bondholders Today, U.S. Depositors Tomorrow? | ZeroHedge
- BLOOD IN THE STREETS | iBankCoin.com
- Push Back: Impacts of a Rising Dollar on Corporate Earnings | Financial Sense
- Could Oil Prices Plummet a Second Time? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- In five years, the global wearables market will look like it does today — but much... | Business Insider
- The Apple Watch is on the cover of a Chinese fashion... | Business Insider
- Apple reportedly delays production of larger iPad (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- UK incomes return to their pre-crisis levels but... | Business Insider
- BofA Merrill Lynch dealmaker Harry McMahon is resigning after 32 years | Business Insider
- Russia: The car used in Putin critic... | Business Insider