Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Craig Johnson Still Bullish on Stocks; Sees More Downside for Gold, Oil, and Commodities | Financial Sense
- Gold Update: Sentiment, Seasonality, and Price Patterns Look Favorable | Financial Sense
- The Job You Want, the Pay You Deserve, and the Education You Can Afford | Financial Sense
- Is the Tide Turning? | Financial Sense
- Is Turkey On The Path To Restoring The Ottoman Empire? | ZeroHedge
- Bubble Finance And A Tale Of Two Spheres | ZeroHedge
- Spinning Higher, As Scheduled | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 decades ago, the FBI launched a... | Business Insider
- There's one Google app that your Android phone doesn't come with... | Business Insider
- US oil rig count rises again (USO, WTI, BHI) | Business Insider
- This company is delivering bitcoin-... | Business Insider
- 15 incredible concert venues around the world | Business Insider
- Samsung is going to launch its Apple Pay competitor in Europe | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek