Covered Call Picks (MCP,NFLX,FB,LCC,BBY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.78. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $103.44. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $30.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $14.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.81 and $15.5.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $14.48. Its 52 week range is between $11.2 and $27.95.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Consumer Confidence Surges Higher As 'Hope' Trumps Reality | ZeroHedge
- Are Central Banks 'Rigging' Rates or Dealing With Past Sins? | Financial Sense
- CNBC's SquawkBox Has Lowest Nielsen Rating In Its History | ZeroHedge
- Can Money Flows Push Equity Prices Much Higher? | Financial Sense
- No Bear Market Signal Yet From Housing | Financial Sense
- JP Morgan Has A "Problem" With Emerging Markets | ZeroHedge
- How The Fed Has Failed The Nation (In One Chart) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How this private college maintains a $1 billion endowment without... | Business Insider
- Greece's urgent talks have stalled without a deal and the cash is running out | Business Insider
- What 23 popular websites used to look like | Business Insider
- A University of Kentucky econ... | Business Insider
- Prada is in crisis | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Now you can book a plumber or housecleaner on Amazon in 60 seconds (AMZN) | Business Insider