Covered Call Picks (MCP,NFLX,FB,LCC,BBY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.78. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $103.44. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $30.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $14.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.81 and $15.5.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $14.48. Its 52 week range is between $11.2 and $27.95.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Robin Griffiths: US to Have Another Run Before Final Crash in 2016 or 2017 | Financial Sense
- Ahoy, Polloi | Financial Sense
- Sentiment Shift on US Inflation Expectations | Financial Sense
- Biggest Inflection Point for 2015 Happening Right Now | Financial Sense
- Ron Paul Warns The "USA Freedom Act" Is Just Another Name For Lost Liberty | ZeroHedge
- Legal Corruption In The US: Meet The 1% Of The 1% Who Drive American Politics | ZeroHedge
- Dow Fires 1,750 After Boosting Share Buyback Program To $10 Billion | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- BUFFETT: 'I think that bonds are very overvalued' | Business Insider
- Baltimore mayor announces immediate lifting of curfew | Business Insider
- Pacquiao to undergo shoulder surgery: report | Business Insider
- Under Armour just exposed a weakness in its women's line | Business Insider
- Googling the word 'joke' results in a really sexist example | Business Insider
- Somebody made a fantastic Nintendo re-creation of Saturday's 'Fight of the Century... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com