Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 94% of Leading Economic Indicators Showing Positive Growth for the U.S. | Financial Sense
- Dow Futures Plunge 425 Points From Friday Highs; Greek Stocks/Bonds Plunging, Crude $44 Handle | ZeroHedge
- China Leading Index Plunges To 6 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Jan 27, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Bonds Of The Third Largest Austrian Bank Are Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Russia Slams S&P Downgrade For "Excessive Pessimism" | ZeroHedge
- "New Normal" Fundamentals Hit Chinese Stocks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- LIVE: Apple Earnings! (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- 516 'Brotherhood elements' arrested on Egypt... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- The Most Expensive Homes For Sale In 25 Different Countries Around The World | Business Insider
- NYC Mayor De Blasio Says Take-Out Delivery... | Business Insider