Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Burger King’s Proposal To McDonald’s Results In Flame-Broiled Shutdown | ZeroHedge
- When The Story Breaks - The 3 Types Of Fear | ZeroHedge
- Market Attention on FOMC Minutes (and Other Things) | Financial Sense
- China Exclaims "We Were Wronged" - Demands Fed Delay Rate Hike, Reiterates Blame For Market Rout | ZeroHedge
- Cutting Through The HFT Lies: What Really Happened During The Flash Crash Of August 24, 2015 | ZeroHedge
- "It's Not The US Economy, It's Just Stocks Stupid!!" | ZeroHedge
- It's Not SUNE For Hedge Fund Hotels As The Liquidation Continues | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Big 12 supports prohibiting transfers for violence issues... | Business Insider
- This simple animation shows how LEDs are ruining your view of the night sky | Business Insider
- Polish official 'convinced' that mystery Nazi... | Business Insider
- 'Get out': Life sentences for US cinema shooter | Business Insider
- State police: Officer, 2 others shot; injuries not known | Business Insider
- Amazon is quietly testing a plan to take on GrubHub (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Former broadcaster in TV shooting was a volatile, angry... | Business Insider