Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed's Laughable GDP "Forecast" Just Got Even Funnier | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap September 18, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- FOMC Keeps "Considerable" Wealth Effect Dream Alive, More See First Hike In 2015; Two Dissent - Full Statement Comparison | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- China About to Miss the 7.5% GDP Growth Target | Financial Sense
- President Obama Delivers More Remarks - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Here's How To Avoid Decision Paralysis | Business Insider
- Good Bye Marx! Hungary cleans up for Orban's revolution... | Business Insider
- A Hedge Fund Manager Reportedly Bought This Nantucket Beachfront Compound For $20... | Business Insider
- Amazon Has Two New Kindle Readers, Including A Really Fancy Model With A Premium Design (AMZN... | Business Insider
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Look What Happened To The Co-founders Of... | Business Insider
- The Air Force Was Officially Born 67 Years Ago Today | Business Insider