Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Problem Isn't Over-Production; It's Mal-Investment! | ZeroHedge
- When Not To Go To Court (Spoiler: When The Judge Is Hungry) | ZeroHedge
- GDP Weaker Than Expected | Financial Sense
- Flash Crash Redeux? | iBankCoin.com
- The Third and Final Transformation of Monetary Policy | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap May 4, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Latest Update on Greece | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google lost a fight to build its glass-domed HQ as LinkedIn's... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Google may be giving developers a big reason to choose Android over the iPhone (GOOG... | Business Insider
- A Chinese company is replacing 90% of its workers with robots | Business Insider
- Apple has an amazing opportunity to completely change TV if it... | Business Insider
- This chart shows the... | Business Insider
- We're about to see thousands of new Apple Watch... | Business Insider