Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sales and Earnings Back At Highs, But So Are Valuations | Financial Sense
- "Recessionary" Demand Forces New York Harbor To Divert Gasoline Shipments | ZeroHedge
- Alan Greenspan: Ron Paul Was Right About The Gold Standard | ZeroHedge
- Was The Catalyst Fund Really The Catalyst? | ZeroHedge
- China Responds To Fed Jawboning March "Live" - Weakens Yuan, Spikes Money Market Rates | ZeroHedge
- Tulsi Gabbard Versus "Regime Change" Wars | ZeroHedge
- The AP Asked Trump's Supporters How Feel About His War With The Press: This Is What It Found | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- New York and San Francisco are the 2 most expensive... | Business Insider
- THE US DIGITAL MEDIA AD REVENUE... | Business Insider
- America's affordable housing crisis has reached a new... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Hundreds of migrants rushed the border at Spain's Ceuta, the... | Business Insider
- CALLED OFF: Kraft Heinz is killing its plan to merge with Unilever — just 2 days... | Business Insider