Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Where Is The First Helicopter Drop Of Money Likely To Land? | ZeroHedge
- Obama Won't Back Down After Chinese Threat, Sends U.S. Warships To Contested Islands In "Matter Of Days" | ZeroHedge
- What The "Real F**king News" Would Look Like | ZeroHedge
- Jim Puplava, Echoing Gundlach and Icahn, Warns of Looming Bond Market Crisis | Financial Sense
- Have We Reached "Peak Fedspeak"? | ZeroHedge
- Squiggly Line Cartoons | Financial Sense
- Dell Buys EMC In Record $67BN Deal: Creates "World's Largest Private Integrated Tech Company" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China September imports plunge in new sign of weakness | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- This graphic shows how two-thirds... | Business Insider
- Report: MH370 wreckage may have been found in the... | Business Insider
- Apple just brought one of its biggest new features to the iMac (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Ireland beat France 24-9 in World Cup crunch match | Business Insider
- Cardinals bracing for Game 3 of NLDS against Arrieta, Cubs... | Business Insider