Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Geopolitics and Markets | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Army Takes Bloomberg Reporter Hostage: Fascinating Report Ensues | ZeroHedge
- The Case for a Bull or Bear Market in Two Charts | Financial Sense
- Apocalypse Preview: Chinese River Turns Blood-Red | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Initial Jobless Claims and the S&P 500 | Financial Sense
- Argentina Bonds/Currency Tumble As Delegation Snubs Mediation | ZeroHedge
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Biotech And Internet Stocks Are Nowhere Near Their Insane Levels Of 1999 | Business Insider
- UPS Shares Tumble After An Ugly Earnings Report (UPS) | Business Insider
- Morgan Stanley's Junior Bankers Are About To Get A Solid Raise | Business Insider
- Researchers Think They've Discovered A Happiness Gene | Business Insider
- Expect A Few Minor Tweaks To The Fed's Language This Week | Business Insider
- Spain Just Passed An Insane Law Taxing Google For Linking To News (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Israel's Most Internationally Recognized Writer Warns Freedom Of Speech... | Business Insider