Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It’s All About the Homies | iBankCoin.com
- Barry Bannister: Government Making Same Policy Mistakes of the 1930's | Financial Sense
- And The Most Beloved Stock By Hedge Funds Is... | ZeroHedge
- The Gold/Silver Canary In The Coalmine | ZeroHedge
- Executive Sweet? | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: The Coming Collapse Of The Petrodollar System | ZeroHedge
- Is It Time To Buy Apple As A Valuation Play? The Contrarian That Called The Top In Apple Weighs In | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- 17 Great American Companies That Keep Mountains Of Cash Overseas... | Business Insider
- If The US Was Spying On Any Foreigners Using Google In 2010,... | Business Insider
- Children In Oklahoma Day Care Sang 'You Are My Sunshine' As Tornado... | Business Insider
- Why There Are So Many Tornadoes In Oklahoma | Business Insider
- Attorney Who OK'd AP Phone Taps Also Represented Firm That Allegedly Hacked... | Business Insider