Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Five Stocks Quacking Loudly Today | iBankCoin.com
- DOE, Intel Work to Keep ‘Moore’s Law’ From Expiring | Financial Sense
- Apple's Quarter In Charts | ZeroHedge
- Foster’s: Australian for Breakout | iBankCoin.com
- Tapering Is Now Tightening | Financial Sense
- Portugal President Admits Espirito Santo Failure Could Be Systemic As Another HoldCo Goes Bankrupt | ZeroHedge
- You Know It's Bad When... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Why Chasing 'Extrinsic Goals' Can Wreck Your Happiness | Business Insider
- Why Plug Power Stock Continues to Surge Today | TheStreet.com
- Ukraine Rebels Hand Over Black Boxes From Downed Malaysia Passenger Jet... | Business Insider
- Hamas Crossed 2 Of Israel's Biggest Red Lines In A 24-Hour Span | Business Insider
- How To Respond If Somebody Holds A Gun To Your Head | Business Insider
- This Is The Problem With Listening To Janet Yellen About Biotech Stocks (PBYI, IBB)... | Business Insider