Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold “Extremely Rare” - All World’s Gold Fits In Average Four-Bedroom House | ZeroHedge
- Municipal Madness | ZeroHedge
- Why Greece May Want To Reconsider Reopening Its Stock Market | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: China’s Holding of Treasuries | Financial Sense
- NY Magazine Website Taken Down By Hacker | ZeroHedge
- BeHoLD THe QuaDRiGa! | ZeroHedge
- New Jersey Set to Legalize Intrastate Equity Crowdfunding | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Disney is toying with selling ESPN as a standalone service... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Google (GOOG) Still Playing Hardball with Apple Music | StreetInsider.com
- China's slowing economy is delaying a major oil deal with Russia | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 7/28: (HON) (MRK) (MPW) | StreetInsider.com
- The world's largest asset... | Business Insider
- Don't worry, Chinese stocks are usually in a bear market (SHCOMP) | Business Insider