Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China CCTV News Previews The 4th Plenary Session Of The Communist Party In Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
- CIA Warned Obama that Funding Rebels Doesn’t Work … But Obama Decided to Fund Syrian Rebels ANYWAY For Cynical Political Gain | ZeroHedge
- But, Stocks Are Cheap... Right? | ZeroHedge
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- The Long Awaited 10% Correction Just Happened; Cramer: No Bottom Until Ebola Contained | Financial Sense
- ECB Unleashes (Covered) Bond Buying Program, Sovereigns Sell Off | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- TED CRUZ: New Ebola Czar Is 'Another White House Political Operative' | Business Insider
- The Nikkei Is Booming Again After Last Week's Brutal Sell-Off | Business Insider
- Here's Why Infant Mortality Is So High In The US | Business Insider
- Here's A 10-Second Guide To What Traders Are Talking About Today | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning (IBM, AAPL, MSFT) | Business Insider
- Apple Has No Plans To Build A Touchscreen Mac, Says... | Business Insider
- Emerging Start-... | Business Insider