Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dollar Bears Tread Carefully, Better Tone Coming | ZeroHedge
- Why Is the Dow Lagging the Broader Market? | Financial Sense
- Gazprom Warns Of "Repetition Of 2009 Gas Situation" In Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- Five Years Of "Progress" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: March 7 | ZeroHedge
- What Needs to Happen Before We See a Big Recovery? | Financial Sense
- The Stock Market’s New Normal: A Wall of Worry | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Young Star Of Huge New 'Divergent' Franchise Is A Hardcore Hippie | Business Insider
- This Student Is Building An Epic Replica Of Manhattan Inside Minecraft | Business Insider
- Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience — And... | Business Insider
- Square Figured Out Which US Cities Had The Most Generous Tippers | Business Insider
- 11 Video Games From The 1980s That Are Better Than Games Today | Business Insider
- Why Every ‘True Detective’ Theory You Have Is Wrong | Business Insider
- LA Sheriff's Department: Newsweek Writer Accurately Quoted Nakamoto | Business Insider