Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Home Sales Miss As Median Price Drops To Lowest In 13 Months | ZeroHedge
- It Wasn't Us - Pentagon Shrugs At "Exaggerating, Sloppy, Uncaring" Russian Jet Shootdown | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: November 24 | ZeroHedge
- It's A Fake, Fake, Fake America | ZeroHedge
- Mission Accomplished | Financial Sense
- 17 Seconds That Changed The World - Leaked Letter Exposes Turkey's Hair-Trigger Reality | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Nov 25, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Johnny Manziel could be benched for off-field behavior | Business Insider
- Trump's family joins him on South Carolina campaign | Business Insider
- Amazon is preemptively taking on Apple TV (AMZN, AAPL) | Business Insider
- How the strange 'turkey pardon' tradition got started | Business Insider
- How would a President Trump govern? | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek