Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- The American Dream Is Still Possible, Just Not In The US | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: "No Tongues" Edition | ZeroHedge
- New Home Sales Miss, August Drastically Revised Lower | ZeroHedge
- Putin Warns Of Risk Of Major Conflict, Says Dollar Losing Reserve Currency Status | ZeroHedge
- The World Series Of Real Estate | ZeroHedge
- Fastest Pace Of Withdrawals From JPM's Gold Vault In Over A Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Commodities mixed on global growth outlook | Business Insider
- This Simple iPhone Trick Is Perfect For Reading In The Dark | Business Insider
- German consumer confidence stops falling: survey | Business Insider
- South Africa 282-9 in second New Zealand ODI | Business Insider
- Giants' Hudson hungry for baseball World Series start | Business Insider
- Here's The First Canceled Show Of The Fall TV Season | Business Insider
- Hong Kong's Umbrella Movement gets computer game... | Business Insider