Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can Greece "Just Print Drachmas"? Goldman Answers | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of US-Iran Negotiations | ZeroHedge
- As 1000s Mourn At Nemtsov's Funeral, Seven Main Conspiracy Theories Emerge | ZeroHedge
- Citi Reiterates "Keep Calm, And Lever Up" Call | ZeroHedge
- Time For The Market To Break Again? | ZeroHedge
- Only 17% Of Americans See The US As The World's Economic Superpower | ZeroHedge
- The Problem With The Forward EPS Hockeystick: Millions Of Americans Are About To Lose Their Jobs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's why we could be at the start of a productivity boom | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week Highs and... | StreetInsider.com
- Hervé Falciani: hundreds like me were working to drag down... | Business Insider
- Edward Norton just released a special edition run of the coat he wore in... | Business Insider
- Argentina says the 'vultures' circling overhead have multiplied, and... | Business Insider
- Soon anyone will be able to beat the iPhone's fingerprint sensor | Business Insider
- ANALYST: The '60 Minutes' report on Lumber Liquidators was way... | Business Insider