Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President | ZeroHedge
- Putin Accuses Obama Of Leaking Flight Details To Turkey After Russia Releases Video Of S-400 SAM Deployment In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Diversification Is For Dummies - The Nifty Nine Never Mattered More | ZeroHedge
- Coming of Age: China’s Yuan Joins SDR Basket As IMF Reserve Currency | ZeroHedge
- Richard Russell: The Passing of an Icon | Financial Sense
- Martin Shkreli Sets Out To Crush KaloBios Shorts: Will Stop Lending Out Shares | ZeroHedge
- They Sow The Cyclone - We Reap The Blowback | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The many health impacts of climate change | Business Insider
- LeBron James is bringing back short basketball shorts, and he has a fascinating reason why | Business Insider
- Curry scores 41 points, Warriors pour in 3s to go 18-0 | Business Insider
- Car sales rev up on US holiday weekend | Business Insider
- Cutler, Bears hold off Packers 17-13 at rainy Lambeau | Business Insider
- One of Satya Nadella's key changes at Microsoft could be... | Business Insider
- Murray scores 21, No. 1 Kentucky rolls past USF 84-63 | Business Insider