Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Futures Ignore Overnight Newsflow, Prepare For More Yen-Driven Momentum Ignition | ZeroHedge
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- Empire Manufacturing Misses By Most In 15 Months, Drops To 2014 Lows | ZeroHedge
- NATO To Boost Air, Warship Presence Around Russia; Netherlands May Deploy F-16s To Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- The Alienation of Work | ZeroHedge
- Potential for "Very High" Natural Gas Spikes This Year, Says Energy Analyst | Financial Sense
- With 103 Mentions Of "Weather", It Is Time To Rename The 'Beige Book' To The 'Weather Book' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Housing Alone Will Return Inflation To The Fed's Target By Next Year | Business Insider
- How To Hull Strawberries In Seconds | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- 'Fast Money' Recap: Long on Financials | TheStreet.com
- No. 1 Draft Pick Anthony Bennett's Historically Bad Rookie Year, In One Ugly Shot Chart... | Business Insider
- Donald Rumsfeld Says He Has 'Absolutely No Idea'... | Business Insider
- Here Comes A Big Day For US Economics | Business Insider