Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Might Be Forced to Cut Oil Production | Financial Sense
- False Confidence Rising In The US | ZeroHedge
- Happy Thanksgiving! | FundMyMutualFund
- Thankful For Inflation? Turkey Day Dinner Is Up 6,000% Since 1909 | ZeroHedge
- What Can Hong Kong And Cuba Teach Us About Economic Policy? | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Collapse After OPEC Keeps Oil Production Unchanged - Live Conference Feed | ZeroHedge
- This Indicator Suggests Gold’s Bear Market Has a lot Longer to Go – But Is It Right? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Thai elections may be delayed until 2016: junta | Business Insider
- I Was So Impressed With This New British Bank That I Opened An Account | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Here's How To Fake A British Accent | Business Insider
- Russia's Economy Ministry: 'We Will Not Collapse!' | Business Insider
- After-Hours Stocks... | StreetInsider.com