Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Common Core Or "Communist Core" | ZeroHedge
- Central Banker Urges Lying To The Public About Bank Health | ZeroHedge
- Potential Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Ron Paul: Welcome To The Great Transition | ZeroHedge
- Not So Fast With Those "Rising Wages" | ZeroHedge
- "This Time May Be Different": Desperate Central Banks Set To Dust Off Asia Crisis Playbook, Goldman Warns | ZeroHedge
- US To Slap Chinese Hackers With Sanctions Ahead Of Xi Visit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A former Goldman Sachs employee who went on to launch a... | Business Insider
- 10 Things to Know for Friday | Business Insider
- A man who pretended to be a businessman with ties to Saudi oil embezzled $43... | Business Insider
- No. 22 Wildcats' 42-32 win over UTSA comes with a cost | Business Insider
- There's no question I'm going to pay $4 extra a month for Hulu'... | Business Insider
- These 24 amazing online shows prove you don't need a cable subscription | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek