Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Happy Days Are Not Here Again | ZeroHedge
- The High-End Consumer Is Rolling Over: Will Apple Save The Economy From A Recession This Time? | ZeroHedge
- When The Aristocracy Leaves The Commoners In The Dust, The Empire Is Doomed | ZeroHedge
- Forget Potassium: Kazakhstan Is Now America's Top Supplier Of Uranium | ZeroHedge
- A Look at Long-Term Trends in Employment by Age Group | Financial Sense
- How Our Aversion To Change Leads Us Into Danger | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Slide After Fed's Evans Takes October Off Table, Fears China Growth Weakness | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ferrari valued at almost $1 bln for IPO | Business Insider
- Moore hits winner to lift Lynx over Fever 80-77 | Business Insider
- NFL Week 5: Here's who wins this weekend | Business Insider
- Former Secretary of State Albright visits 'Madam... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Police: Trio used stolen gun to rob, kill 2 in California | Business Insider
- North Korea readies massive anniversary celebration | Business Insider