Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe's 'Status Quo Pandering' Risks "Radicalization Of An Entire Generation" | ZeroHedge
- India Finance Minister Begs Citizens To Stop Buying Gold | ZeroHedge
- Atypical Global Recovery Underway | Financial Sense
- “Dash For Trash” Screen | iBankCoin.com
- The Profits, They’re Too Big | iBankCoin.com
- Japan Economy Minister: "Yen's Excessive Strength Has Been Largely Corrected; Further Weakness Could Be Harmful" | ZeroHedge
- China Fakes Trade Surplus... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Hedge Funds Are Invested In This Market In One Big Chart | Business Insider
- Stocks Slip on Prospects Fed to Curb Stimulus | TheStreet.com
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Russia's 'Zaslon' Military Operators Are So Shadowy They Make Ninjas... | Business Insider
- Manchester City And The New York Yankees Buy An MLS Expansion Team For $... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- There Was A Mass Exodus From Tumblr Right As They Sealed The Deal With Yahoo | Business Insider