Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Equities Tumble After Greek Talks Cancelled | ZeroHedge
- Bad News for China: Bernanke Says It’s Okay | Financial Sense
- Are Hedge Funds Worth More Than Kindergartens? | Financial Sense
- A Net Assessment of the World | Financial Sense
- S&P Ramp Stalls At 50% Retracement (For Now) | ZeroHedge
- EURUSD Plunge Continues: "It's Not All About Greece... Not Even Close" | ZeroHedge
- Stocks, Bonds, Commodities Tumble On Durable Goods "Good News", USD Soars | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here's everything you need to know about Manhattenhenge 2015... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- HBO's 'Silicon Valley' took a page from Mark Cuban's... | Business Insider
- FIFA corruption probe: LIVE REPORT | Business Insider
- What's on tap for Google's big... | Business Insider