Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trend Changes and the Dangers of Crying Wolf | Financial Sense
- Civil "Wrongs" | ZeroHedge
- Housing Data Broadly Mixed | Financial Sense
- A Tidal Wave of Gold Repatriations Could be Unleashed | ZeroHedge
- "This Is Madness" | ZeroHedge
- Stuck In Reverse And Descending Into Trauma | ZeroHedge
- The 5th Amendment: Why A Law Professor Says "Don't Talk To Police" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nothing Explains The Meaning Of 'Black Swan' Like The Unexpected... | Business Insider
- German unemployment falls more than expected in November... | Business Insider
- Stock Turn Higher but Stumbling Energy Sector Weighs Down Gains | TheStreet.com
- Streetinsider.com's... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's The New Yorker's Brilliantly Simple New Ferguson... | Business Insider
- Shoppers Increase Spending On Experiences, Instead of Goods for Holidays | TheStreet.com
- Former Teammate Has A Theory On Why RG3 Has Been So Bad, And It Could End His Career | Business Insider