Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Final Crescendo of Cognitive Dollar Dissonance and the Remonetization of Gold | Financial Sense
- "Neutralizing" John Lennon: One Man Against The "Monster" | ZeroHedge
- Financial Fridays: It’s Financial Suicide To Own A House | Altucher Confidential
- WTI Crude Tops $50, Energy Stocks Soar To Biggest Week Since 2008 (But Credit Ain't Buying It) | ZeroHedge
- According To Bernanke, This Was The "Biggest Impact Of QE" | ZeroHedge
- Fed Admits "Changes In Asset Prices", "Decline In Equity Prices" Influenced Rate Decision | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Pushes HFT Tax (A Day After BlackRock Warns Of "Wild Price Swings") | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Snyder supports switching Flint water system back to... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump on Kevin McCarthy's stunning drop-out: 'People... | Business Insider
- Libya rivals urged to sign long-awaited peace deal | Business Insider
- Russian missiles aimed at Syria crashed in Iran: US... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Apple Pay is coming to Starbucks next year | Business Insider
- Hamburgers might be on the menu for Russian astronauts | Business Insider