Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Politicians Across America Continue Push To Make Protesting Illegal | ZeroHedge
- Volatility and Market Risk Have Never Been More MisPriced (Video) | ZeroHedge
- A Trade War Is in No One's Interest | Financial Sense
- Goldman: "All Our Clients Are Confused And Unsettled" | ZeroHedge
- "Having A Vagina Is Not Enough" - One Woman's View Of The Million-Pussy-March | ZeroHedge
- 2017 Will Be An Important Year For The Currency Wars | ZeroHedge
- May Answers the Big Brexit Question | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Oil companies are ignoring the huge threat from electric vehicles | Business Insider
- Here's what Wall Street is saying about Netflix's... | Business Insider
- See inside the $5.3 million Washington, DC, home that the Obamas are moving into | Business Insider
- 'We're not going to sit around and take it... | Business Insider
- Tesla's Autopilot investigation could change the nature of... | Business Insider
- TIFFANY & CO.: Trump Tower is killing our business (... | Business Insider
- At a private lunch in Davos, Jamie Dimon was asked about the elephant in the room | Business Insider