Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Nigel Farage Cheers "Anti-Establishment" Victory At Trump Rally - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- China Plans to Slash Crude Demand by 250,000 Bpd | Financial Sense
- France To Deploy 3,000 Troops To Schools: "The Threat Is Real" Education Minister Says | ZeroHedge
- Restaurants In D.C. Slash Jobs After Minimum Wage Hike | ZeroHedge
- Can Stocks Survive Without Stimulus? | Financial Sense
- Is the UK Economy Doing Better Post-Brexit? | Financial Sense
- Crude Slammed After Inventory Builds Across Entire Oil/Product Complex | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- A new study should have Coke and Pepsi terrified | Business Insider
- Facebook is getting into the biggest trend in ad tech: header bidding (FB) | Business Insider
- Inside Building 87, Microsoft's hidden mad science laboratory | Business Insider
- Astronaut breaks US record: 521 days in space and counting... | Business Insider
- Watch this woman's hilarious reaction to Trump... | Business Insider
- This exclusive report reveals the ABCs of the IoT | Business Insider