Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fearing Spillover, ECB Moves To Shield Neighboring Banks From Greek Meltdown | ZeroHedge
- The Fourth Turning – An Interview With Neil Howe | ZeroHedge
- Good On You, Greece - But Don’t Waver Now (Part 2) | ZeroHedge
- Barry Bannister on Greece | Financial Sense
- Paul Craig Roberts: Sunday's Vote Will Determine Liberty Or Serfdom | ZeroHedge
- Now’s Really Not the Time for a Liquidity Crisis | Financial Sense
- Will Greek Depositors Under €100,000 Be Spared In Case Of A "Bail-In" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Airbus and Mahindra to make military choppers in India | Business Insider
- 5 reasons 'Secret Wars' is a superhero epic you should be reading right now | Business Insider
- The fascinating scientific reason this celebrity's Instagram photo just... | Business Insider
- Japan pledges $6.1 bln aid to 'Mekong Five'... | Business Insider
- As Greece starts to vote there's a sense... | Business Insider
- This Londoner is raising thousands for a... | Business Insider
- In under two days, Boko Haram kills nearly 170 in NE... | Business Insider