Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- China Exclaims "We Were Wronged" - Demands Fed Delay Rate Hike, Reiterates Blame For Market Rout | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 26 | ZeroHedge
- Meanwhile In Greece, Pension Funds Tap Emergency Loans | ZeroHedge
- Bears Are "Covering" Everywhere, Especially Here | ZeroHedge
- In A Crisis… Wait | Altucher Confidential
- Behold: A Chinese Liquidity Crunch | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Two Kenyans fail drugs tests at athletics world... | Business Insider
- Investigation: EPA, state underestimated spill potential | Business Insider
- Smoke grounds aircraft battling some Washington wildfires... | Business Insider
- Sorry Burger King, McDonald's just said no to your joint '... | Business Insider
- Uber cofounder is taking over stumbling social media company... | Business Insider
- London Underground delays plans for 24-hour subway service... | Business Insider
- Colombians flee homes in Venezuela amid border crackdown | Business Insider