Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekly Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- US Probes Terrorist Concerns Over 'Missing' Malaysian Airlines Jet | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Explains How He Will Blow The Student Loan Bubble Even Bigger - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- In Venezuela, This Is How You Convert $1 Into $175,000 | ZeroHedge
- February Payrolls 175K, Beat Expectations Of 149K, Unemployment Rate Rises To 6.7% | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Drops 3/4 of “Ukraine Crisis” Jump as Russia Moves to Ease Tensions | Financial Sense
- The Stock Market’s New Normal: A Wall of Worry | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's How Tesla Is Doing in China | TheStreet.com
- 12 Actors Who Should Rejuvenate Their Careers With TV Shows | Business Insider
- U.S. Should Reward Longtime Fannie and Freddie Shareholders Over 'Day Traders': Nader | TheStreet.com
- The Crisis In Ukraine Echoes What Happened In Japan Back In WWII | Business Insider
- How To Make Sure Your Posts On Secret Stay Anonymous | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek