Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Free Speech Cage" Keeps Anti-Hillary Protesters Away From DNC Convention | ZeroHedge
- Tale of Two Economies: Industrial vs. Consumer | Financial Sense
- Get Ready For America's New $29 Trillion Debt | ZeroHedge
- Oil Rally Hopes Crushed as Inventories Hit All-Time High | Financial Sense
- Amazon Smashes Expectations As Cloud Profits Soar; Stock Dips Then Jumps | ZeroHedge
- Who’s First With The Helicopters? | ZeroHedge
- Democrats Hacked Again: FBI Probing "Cyber Intrusion" At Fundraising Group | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The recent rise in police killings turns out to be a dramatic decline compared to past decades | Business Insider
- Watch the Air Force drop 8 armored Humvees out of a plane from 5,000... | Business Insider
- These 30 Fortune 500 companies have the most cash in off-shore tax havens | Business Insider
- I just left New York City — here are 11 ways the move has saved me money | Business Insider
- 42 mouthwatering foods everyone should try in Japan | Business Insider
- This group of 60 million Facebook users could be the secret to Facebook’s next growth spurt (FB) | Business Insider
- The second French church attacker was also known to... | Business Insider