Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Origins and Implications of the Scottish Referendum | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Currency Crashes To Record Low As IMF Blasts "Gross Abuses" | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Wednesday | iBankCoin.com
- Asia-Pac Stocks Head For Worst Losing Streak In 12 Years | ZeroHedge
- Can The Petrodollar Survive Low Interest Rates? | ZeroHedge
- The Perfect (Dollar) Storm – When Currencies Collide Part 1 | Financial Sense
- Transportation Stocks Boosted by Lower Oil Prices | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Is The Last Generation Of Chinese Women To Endure The... | Business Insider
- The Uninsured Rate Just Plunged To Its Lowest Level Since The... | Business Insider
- Here's How To Keep Track Of How Much Money Tech Giants... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- ISIS Has Put Rand Paul In A Very Difficult Position | Business Insider
- The 10 Largest US Internet IPOs Of All Time | Business Insider
- The Company That's Trying To Make Eggs Obsolete Is Raising $50 Million At A $... | Business Insider