Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Are Central Banks 'Rigging' Rates or Dealing With Past Sins? | Financial Sense
- Fischer: Fed Going From “Ultra Expansionary” to “Extremely Expansionary” | Financial Sense
- Abewrongics: Nikkei/USDJPY Tankin' After Terrible Tankan | ZeroHedge
- Despite Abysmal Weather, Feb Pending Homes Sales Surge By Most In 9 Months | ZeroHedge
- Ugly Month/Quarter Ends With Corn Holed, Stocks Sold, Bonds "Good As Gold" | ZeroHedge
- Unusual Stock Activity | ZeroHedge
- ‘Peak Gold’ in 2015? - Goldman Sachs Research Warns of Peak Gold Production | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- French lawmakers debate punishing prostitutes or clients | Business Insider
- Microsoft Outlook email... | Business Insider
- Thai junta chief says he has asked king to lift martial... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Play Pac-Man in Google Maps with this secret April Fool... | Business Insider
- Obama's press secretary... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek