Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When The Narrative Breaks | ZeroHedge
- Serial Bubbles Mean Serial Crashes... and the Next One Will Dwarf 2008 | ZeroHedge
- European HIV Infections Hit Record High, CDC Blames "Migrants And Refugees" | ZeroHedge
- 2015: The Last Christmas In America | ZeroHedge
- How To Defeat ISIS (In 9 Simple Steps) | ZeroHedge
- Milwaukee ISM Bounce Dies As Employment, New Orders Plunge | ZeroHedge
- President Obama's Latest ISIS Strategy Illustrated | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Obama hopes to marshal strong action against climate... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Apple CEO Tim Cook is going to receive the same award that Taylor Swift was once... | Business Insider
- Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois budget mess | Business Insider
- The Latest: High security as leaders meet for climate... | Business Insider
- Fathers' rights protesters climb onto Buckingham... | Business Insider
- Capitol Hill Buzz: New Speaker, new facial hair | Business Insider