Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- On The CIA's Role In Nelson Mandela's 1962 Arrest | ZeroHedge
- Shell’s Prelude, the World’s Largest Ever Floating Vessel, Hits the Sea | Financial Sense
- Ride the Profitable Wave | Financial Sense
- Japanese Bonds Tumble Most In 3 Months As Ito Says GPIF Should Cut Holdings | ZeroHedge
- Jobs Added By Industry: Education, Transportation And Retail Winners; Information And Finance Losers | ZeroHedge
- Analysts Line Up to Declare “Decline & Fall” of Gold After 2.6% Tumble | Financial Sense
- THE GRANDE FINALE | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- AT&T Has A New Data Plan That Will Save You $15 Per Month (T) | Business Insider
- The 20 Happiest Cities Discovered By Studying Instagram | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- ANALYST: 'Stocks Look More Vulnerable Than Ever' | Business Insider
- PRESENTING: The Most Powerful Bitcoin Miner In The World | Business Insider
- An Ontario Pit Bull Has Become Famous For Balancing Objects On His Head | Business Insider