Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why '75' Is The Most Important Number For US Economic Hope | ZeroHedge
- Disillusioned Millennials Dump Democrats, Blame Obama | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- U.S. Mint Gold Coin Sales Near 60,000 - "Islamic State, Ebola, Putin, Ukraine" and Swiss Gold Initiative | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns Midterm Elections Raise Risk Around Fiscal Deadlines | ZeroHedge
- How Long Can The Shale Revolution Last? | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: "So Bullish It Hurts" Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Meet Microsoft Band, The $199... | Business Insider
- Total's new boss promises stability after CEO death | Business Insider
- Andy Rubin, Founder Of Android, Is Out Of Google (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Nike Releases Intense Commercial About LeBron James Returning To Cleveland | Business Insider
- CONFIRMED: Yahoo Has Poached Top Amazon Exec Lisa Utzschneider (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Funeral museum rises again in death-fixated Vienna | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek