Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Many Stock Market Top Boxes Have Been Checked? | Financial Sense
- Ron Paul Asks "Can We Afford Ukraine?" | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Sentiment Report: Is There Another Rabbit in the Hat? | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks to Add to Your Lunch Paella | iBankCoin.com
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- Feds Subpoena Port Authority Records As Christie Probe Deepens | ZeroHedge
- Stocks For Your “Buy the Dip Grab Bag” | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- String Theory Genius Explains The Coming Breakthroughs That Will Change... | Business Insider
- Cornell President David Skorton Leaving University To Head Smithsonian... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Lena Dunham Offers 'SNL' Cast Sex Advice During Opening... | Business Insider
- Stage Collapses In The Middle Of High School Performance, Sending Students Plunging | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- You No Longer Have To Be A Millionaire To Flip Houses In San Francisco | Business Insider