Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Sad State Of America's Infrastructure In One Infographic | ZeroHedge
- A Big Tailwind for the Stock Market Has Now Dissipated | Financial Sense
- Don Coxe on Brewing US Pension Crisis, Stimulus vs. Rising Rates | Financial Sense
- McCain: "The New World Order Is Under Enormous Strain" | ZeroHedge
- NAHB Housing Market Index: "Builders Confidence at 12 Year High" | Financial Sense
- Watch Live: Paul Ryan Explains Why He Pulled The Health Bill | ZeroHedge
- Colonel Shaffer: "I Believe This is Much Worse Than Watergate" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Costco purchases that make your membership virtually free | Business Insider
- A British teenager pointed out a major error in the data NASA collects from the ISS... | Business Insider
- Here's how the cast of 'Iron Fist' looks compared to their comic-book... | Business Insider
- 2 months into his presidency, Trump continues to make some of the worst men's style... | Business Insider
- This Austin-based startup is gunning to be the next FedEx killer... | Business Insider
- A trio of key Trump associates have... | Business Insider
- Here's how much money Wall Street banks have made advising on deals so far... | Business Insider