Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Initial Jobless Claims Rise Most In 3 Months, 4-Week Average Lowest Since 2000 | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Stocks Shrug Off Ebola, Surge Most Since 2011, Still A Red October | ZeroHedge
- 40% Of Eurozone Banks Are In Bad Shape | ZeroHedge
- 25 Banks Said To Fail European Stress Test, 10 In Talks On Capital Shortfall | ZeroHedge
- How to Link Australian Iron With Marine le Pen | Financial Sense
- Russia is de-dollarizing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Canada parliament opens with applause for Sergeant-at-... | Business Insider
- The Failure Of A Major Mission In Afghanistan In Two Charts | Business Insider
- Ebola Has Now Spread To Mali | Business Insider
- US airline profits lift on cheaper fuel, strong demand | Business Insider
- How To Get A Dancer's Body | Business Insider
- Jack Bogle on Warren Buffett, Bill Gross and How to Invest in a Volatile Market | TheStreet.com