Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fly Buy: $TLT | iBankCoin.com
- Actionable Long Trading Ideas | iBankCoin.com
- Russia Will Bow Down to Our Divine Power | iBankCoin.com
- Our Totalitarian Future - Part 2 | ZeroHedge
- 85 Super Wealthy People Have More Money Than The Poorest 3.5 Billion Combined | ZeroHedge
- Argentine Bonds Soar To Record Highs As Hope Rules (For Now) | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Industrial Production Collapses At Fastest Rate Since 2011 Tsunami | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- MEDIA MATTERS: The Washington Post Is 'Obsessed' With Hillary... | Business Insider
- Ferrari And Maserati Are Bright Spots In Fiat's Disappointing Earnings... | Business Insider
- Facebook Is Going To Stop Bothering You To Send Gift Cards To Your Friends On Their Birthday | Business Insider
- Poker Player Gets Knocked Out Of A $1-Million Tournament With An Unreal Bad Beat | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- American Families Haven't Made Much Of A Comeback Since The Great Recession | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank Expects Today's GDP Report To Blow Away Expectations | Business Insider