Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rate Normalization to Continue Above 2 Percent | Financial Sense
- North Korea Warns China Of "Catastrophic Consequences" For Siding With U.S. | ZeroHedge
- Voting at the NYC French Consulate | ZeroHedge
- Did Russia Shoot Down US Missiles In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Bob Prechter Warns Market Correction "Larger Than The Malaise Of The '30s" Looms | ZeroHedge
- Cheat Or Chump? - You Are Not An Investor | ZeroHedge
- Operation Gotham Shield: U.S. Gov't To "Simulate Nuke Blast Over Manhattan" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Nobody has a sense of humor anymore':... | Business Insider
- The crewneck sweater is a staple of every guy’s closet — and we just found a new favorite... | Business Insider
- United CEO Oscar Munoz will not become chairman next year as planned (... | Business Insider
- Ontario is trying to burst Toronto's housing price bubble... | Business Insider
- Why Trump's claim that he's expanding the military is absurd | Business Insider
- The US will honor a 'dumb' refugee deal with... | Business Insider
- Happiness expert shares the one key both philosophers and... | Business Insider