Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ford CEO Expresses Interest In Working With Trump; Says Less Regulation Is Key To Saving U.S. Jobs | ZeroHedge
- In The Year Of Fake News, Finance Cannot Be Entertainment | ZeroHedge
- Circadian Rhythms and the Microbiome | Financial Sense
- White Anger: Fed Helped Elect Trump; Tale of Two Job Markets | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank: De-Globalization Trend Not as Clear as It Seems | Financial Sense
- Fake News Meme Going Viral | ZeroHedge
- The Aftermath of the US Election And Its Implications Moving Forward | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We compared Popeyes and KFC fried chicken — here's the... | Business Insider
- Apple is spending far more than Samsung on digital... | Business Insider
- A Vikings lineman found an ingenious way to promote a business venture for... | Business Insider
- This is the perfect case for people who drop their phones a lot | Business Insider
- These are the states where most adults live at... | Business Insider
- One restaurant group stands to be the big winner if... | Business Insider
- A small hedge fund manager threw shade at... | Business Insider