Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Beyond Iran And Pakistan: 7 Nuclear Wannabes | ZeroHedge
- Rig Count Decline Reaches 16 Weeks, Pace Of Decline Drops Dramatically | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- Building Explodes, Collapses In Manhattan, Multiple Injuries Reported - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
- Yemen "Gulf Intervention" Premium Erased, WTI Tumbles Back Below $49 | ZeroHedge
- Invisible Solar Cells to Harvest Free Energy Everywhere | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why the death penalty in America is sexist | Business Insider
- Researcher shows a ridiculously easy way to hack into smart... | Business Insider
- MAP: Why oil prices spike when there's fighting in the Gulf states | Business Insider
- Stunning drone video captures the beauty of Canada's oil province | Business Insider
- The ability to digest milk may explain how Europe got rich | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- These are the things investigators will have to... | Business Insider