Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Does Russia Present a Systemic Threat to Global Markets? | Financial Sense
- Why The US Is About To Be Flooded With Record Oil Production Due To Plunging Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
- Former BIS Chief Economist: "The System Is Dangerously Unanchored; It Is Every Man For Himself" | ZeroHedge
- Last Nibble, I Promise | iBankCoin.com
- Gun Violence In America (In 6 Uncomfortable Charts) | ZeroHedge
- U.S. in a Sweet Spot! | Financial Sense
- It Cost Ukraine's Government $4 Billion To Get Re-Elected | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How A Hacker Gang Literally Saved Christmas For Video Game Players Everywhere | Business Insider
- REPORT: US Considers Putting North Korea Back On Terror List | Business Insider
- There's Now A Site That Helps People Find A Place To Stay While They Rent Their Place Out On... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Biggest Vulnerability Right Now (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Loew sets sights on Euro 2016 with new-look Germany | Business Insider
- No One Knows What's Going On With The $50 Billion Nicaragua Canal Being Built... | Business Insider
- Dortmund second from bottom after 10th defeat | Business Insider