Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Venezuela Escapes Bankruptcy… But Oil Production Continues To Plunge | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Vehicles Coming Faster than You Think | Financial Sense
- Tepid Demand For 2Y Paper: Bid-To-Cover Slides, Primary Dealers Hold More Than Half | ZeroHedge
- Pathetic: Wells Fargo Steps Up Scandal Control With TV Ad Over Bogus Accounts | ZeroHedge
- Narcissists'R'Us - Guess Which Presidential Candidate Likes To Talk About Themselves Most? | ZeroHedge
- Texas Rigged? Reports Of Voting Machines Switching Votes To Hillary In Texas | ZeroHedge
- AT&T Purchase Of Time Warner Greeted By Skepticism On Wall Street, Scrutiny In Congress | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains how humans will evolve in the future | Business Insider
- RAOUL PAL ON US ELECTION: 'Volatility is way too low' | Business Insider
- A former Microsoft engineer created a contact case that could lower your risk of... | Business Insider
- Animated map of the Mississippi River will completely... | Business Insider
- Photo of Yao Ming making golf legend Gary Player look like a small child puts Yao... | Business Insider
- The Feds are starting to dig in at the biggest middle-man in the... | Business Insider
- PayPal is homing in on high-growth areas (PYPL) | Business Insider