Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Is Building Its Future on Credit | Financial Sense
- The Importance Of Asking Good Questions | ZeroHedge
- We're Sorry! - DNC Apologizes To Bernie For "Inexcusable Remarks" | ZeroHedge
- Yen Tumbles On Spurious Nikkei Headline, Stocks Shrug | ZeroHedge
- Foreign Central Banks Flee From Ugly, Tailing 2Y Treasury Auction, Lowest Bid To Cover Since 2008 | ZeroHedge
- July 26-27 – The Fed Will Put Us on Notice for a September 20-21 Rate Hike | Financial Sense
- Why We're Ungovernable: Debt & The Sudden Outbreak Of Utter Insanity | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- If you’re a total beginner to coding, this online course is the place to... | Business Insider
- The new 'Star Trek' wins the weekend box office, but performs below expectations... | Business Insider
- Science says happier people have these 9 things in common | Business Insider
- Marine Corps F-35s will go head-to-head with F-18s, F-22s, F-16s, and more at Red... | Business Insider
- OBAMA: Here’s the best advice George W. Bush gave me | Business Insider
- The 55 buildings in New York City you need to see in your lifetime | Business Insider
- The creator of a futuristic liquid meal replacement could face charges... | Business Insider