Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- There is little difference between rich and poor in America | ZeroHedge
- OFFICIAL RELEASE: World Silver Deficits –12 Years Running | ZeroHedge
- Gold Market Goes Quiet - Do We Hear The Echo Of The Bottom? | ZeroHedge
- 17 Seconds That Changed The World - Leaked Letter Exposes Turkey's Hair-Trigger Reality | ZeroHedge
- US Services Economy Surges To 7-Month Highs (As Manufacturing Hits 2 Year Low) | ZeroHedge
- Look Out Troika, Portugal Names Socialist Antonio Costa Prime Minister | ZeroHedge
- US Taxpayer Faces $230 Million Loss As Spain's 'Solyndra' Files For Creditor Protection | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Police: Newborn left in Christmas nativity manger at... | Business Insider
- George scores 40, Pacers make 19 3s to beat Wizards 123-... | Business Insider
- Burundi implicates respected journalist in failed coup | Business Insider
- US rockers want to be first band to reopen Bataclan | Business Insider
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene | Business Insider
- Good COP, bad COP: Will Paris climate summit prevail? | Business Insider
- People are calling ISIS by a name they don’t want... | Business Insider