Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Plunge In Export Prices Is Now Worse Than The Great Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- SLOW DOWN | iBankCoin.com
- NSA Leak Reveals Both Merkel And Schauble Saw Greek Debt As Unsustainable Even After Haircut | ZeroHedge
- Russia Gets Involved: Tells Europe To Respect The Greek Choice | ZeroHedge
- For The Bookies The Referendum Outcome Is Clear: Paddy Power Pays Out For "Yes" Votes | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Surge Despite Dashed Hellenic Hope, Crude Carnages | ZeroHedge
- Algos Sell The "Leap Second" Rip | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Starbucks is making a major push in France | Business Insider
- Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian teen in West Bank | Business Insider
- Someone is creating fake websites on the dark web to try to lure in... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Persimmon said in a trading update that | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Spotify has a great feature if you like to listen to music while running, but I still have some... | Business Insider