Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Goldman Goes Schizo On Gold: Boosts Price Target To $1200 Even As It Is "Selling It With Conviction" | ZeroHedge
- Phantom Liquidity and Perfect Pilfering | Financial Sense
- Banco Espirito Santo CEO, Who Quit Last Month, Detained In Money Laundering Probe | ZeroHedge
- Head Doctor Fighting Africa's "Out Of Control" Ebola Epidemic Contracts The Virus | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Bonds & Bullion Tumble As Stocks Stumble On Macro Weakness | ZeroHedge
- It's Time For The BRICS To Act To Counter US Destabilization Efforts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hollywood Legend Ron Howard Sells His Connecticut Estate For A Record $27.5 Million... | Business Insider
- Twitter Has A Massive Diversity Problem, And These Two Charts Prove It (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Amazon, Starbucks, Pandora Earnings Impact the Open | TheStreet.com
- Billionaires Carlos Slim And Richard Branson Want A 3-Day Workweek — Here's... | Business Insider
- A Terrible Korean Baseball Team Is Packing Its Stadium With Robot Fans... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Market Wrap: Mobile... | StreetInsider.com