Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Infographic: Bullion Banking Mechanics | ZeroHedge
- Solar Installations Surge 95% In 2016 | Financial Sense
- Holland's Wilders Slams "Moroccan Scum" As Paris Over-run By Antifa | ZeroHedge
- About Those "Overly Optimistic" Trump GDP Forecasts, There's Just One Thing | ZeroHedge
- Kim Jong Nam Assassination Caught On Tape | ZeroHedge
- Theory of Relativity | ZeroHedge
- Gold The "Ultimate Insurance Policy" as "Grave Concerns About Euro" - Greenspan | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How to handle sleep deprivation, according to a Navy SEAL | Business Insider
- Trump's defence chief tells Iraq: We're not here... | Business Insider
- This is the greatest Corvette ever - and it's only $70,000 (GM) | Business Insider
- These are the watches worn by some of the most... | Business Insider
- The chief economist... | Business Insider
- This subscription service makes picking out the right vitamins easier than... | Business Insider
- The new era of payment processing will change everything | Business Insider