Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Low Volatility Everywhere" - BIS Sounds Alarm Alert On Pervasive Complacency Masking Systemic Shocks | ZeroHedge
- The Middle-East Mosaic: Friends, Foes, & Frenemies | ZeroHedge
- Some Of You Get Away With A Lot | iBankCoin.com
- AND THe NeXT LeHMaN MoMeNT Is... | ZeroHedge
- ISIS' Next Target: The Suez Canal | ZeroHedge
- A Sweet Setup | iBankCoin.com
- Empire Fed Spikes To 5-Year Highs; Employment Plunges To Worst Since Dec 2013 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Here Are The 24 New Shows Coming To TV This Fall | Business Insider
- Branson On Scotland: 'We'll Still Party Together' | Business Insider
- An Elderly Yankees Fan Had A Priceless Moment With Derek Jeter | Business Insider
- Scientists In Belgium May Have Just Figured Out How To Stop Cancer From... | Business Insider
- Season's first dolphins killed in Japan: activists | Business Insider
- Online Video Advertising Provider Videology Is On Track To Hit $300 Million In... | Business Insider