Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is The Fair Value Of Gold? | ZeroHedge
- Fed Reporter Pedro Da Costa Is Leaving The Wall Street Journal After Asking Yellen "Uncomfortable" Questions | ZeroHedge
- China Rescue, VIX Crash, & Fed Pump Squeeze Shorts Most In 6 Months, Trannies Bounce Most Since 2011 | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 31 | ZeroHedge
- US Economy Grew Less Than Expected In Q2: Worst Economic Recovery Since WWII Revised Even Weaker | ZeroHedge
- The Summation Of All Fears | ZeroHedge
- VIX "Flash-Crashes" To 11 Handle After Dovish Fed Statement | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A small change Slack made 48 hours before launch shows why users love its $2.8 billion app | Business Insider
- There's an awkward contradiction at the center of... | Business Insider
- 50 Cent was literally throwing wads of cash into the... | Business Insider
- The 'cookie monster' study reveals how power corrupts people | Business Insider
- Afro-Brazilians search DNA for pre-slavery origins | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- This abandoned Chinese island shows what the world might look like without humans | Business Insider