Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How The Market Is Like CYNK (Which Was Just Halted) | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Employment Data Strengthens Optimistic Outlook | Financial Sense
- ... In Which SocGen Starts A Rumor That The Next QE Will Come From China | ZeroHedge
- T.I.G.E.R. Valley Bug Out Drill | ZeroHedge
- Is It Time To Sell The "Old Guy At A Club" Market? | ZeroHedge
- Low Potential? | Financial Sense
- A U.S. Recession Is Unlikely | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New Device Lets Obsessive Parents Listen In On Their Preschoolers' Conversations | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- 3 Biotech Stocks Under $10 to Trade for Breakouts | TheStreet.com
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- It's Unbelievable How Many Investors Rely On Just One Year's Worth... | Business Insider
- LinkedIn Launched A New App To Make Networking Easy — Even For People... | Business Insider