Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- BUYING | iBankCoin.com
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Media Blackout: Canada Plans To Dump Nuclear Waste Less Than Mile From US Border | ZeroHedge
- China Stunner: Real GDP Is Now A Negative -1.1%, Evercore ISI Calculates | ZeroHedge
- What Would Happen If Everyone Joins China In Dumping Treasurys? | ZeroHedge
- Flawed Fundamentals, Nasty Macro, Structural Industry Change: For Wall Street Banks It Really Is Different This Time | ZeroHedge
- Freeport-McMoRan Up Nearly 50% Today After Carl Icahn Goes Activist, Announces 8.5% Stake | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Asian shares follow Wall St higher but China fears linger... | Business Insider
- 3 wireless carriers you probably never heard of can save you a ton of money... | Business Insider
- The brand new poster for the final 'Hunger Games' is bold and... | Business Insider
- De Bruyne to join Man City for 74 mn euros: reports | Business Insider
- Bitcoin is at a 'fork in the road' — Here's what went down last time that happened... | Business Insider
- Conservatives target bust of Planned Parenthood founder | Business Insider
- Investors are fleeing from stock funds like it's 2007 again... | Business Insider