Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will The Market Break? Keep An Eye On This For the Answer | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- Dr. Keith Barron on Helicopter Drops, Gold, and Brexit | Financial Sense
- What the Bond Market Is Telling Investors | Financial Sense
- Economic Predictions for Summer 2016: The Epocalypse Keeps Crashing | ZeroHedge
- What Brexit Means for the World | Financial Sense
- Oil Tumbles Amid Bad News For Glut As US Offshore To Hit Record In 2017 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Screw cap wine is just as delicious as corked wine — here are some of our... | Business Insider
- This $20 headset convinced me VR isn't just a fad... | Business Insider
- Trump's fired campaign manager insists he has a 'great... | Business Insider
- The founders of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund were split on... | Business Insider
- What the Brexit means for tech | Business Insider
- This is my new favorite pair of headphones | Business Insider
- Kazakhstan is building a futuristic city to host the 2017 World Expo — here's a closer... | Business Insider