Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Illusion Of Strength | ZeroHedge
- Russian Humanitarian Convoy Enters Ukraine Without Authorization; Ukraine Considers Move "Direct Invasion" | ZeroHedge
- Pakistan Opposition Leader Slams US: "You Like Only Those Governments In Muslim Countries That Are Your Slaves" | ZeroHedge
- Obama's "Do Nothing Stupid" Foreign Policy Fails Again As 'New' Iraqi Government Formation Crumbles | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Central Bank "Friends" USDollar Sellers, Posts 'Failed' FX Intervention On Facebook | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Humanitarian Aid Convoy Returns To Russia | ZeroHedge
- "A Random Straight Line On Wall Street" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I Lived Out Of My Car For Four Months To Join The Tech... | Business Insider
- The Judge In The Argentina Vs. Hedge Funds Case Just Exposed A Big Weakness... | Business Insider
- 4 Firefighters Injured While... | Business Insider
- Here's The Aftermath Of The Battle With ISIS Over The Dam That Could... | Business Insider
- Yellen Takes Dead Aim At A GOP Movement To Rein In The Federal Reserve (DIA, SPX, SPY... | Business Insider
- The National Guard Is Being Withdrawn From Ferguson | Business Insider
- White House Fires Back After A Government Watchdog Ruled... | Business Insider