Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Scorching Demand For 5 Year Treasurys: Indirect Bid Highest On Record | ZeroHedge
- Ferguson In Flames: The Morning After | ZeroHedge
- Investor Sentiment in the Balance | Financial Sense
- Gold & EUR Drop After ECB's Coeure Counters Weidmann's Warnings | ZeroHedge
- Service PMI Misses, Tumbles To 7-Month Lows, "Extreme Weather" Warning For GDP Issued | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- And The Award For "Americans' Favorite Government Agency" Goes To... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Twitter Needs a Bold Acquisition; Here's What It Should Buy | TheStreet.com
- This Is What Its Like To Live At The US's Most Remote Air Base | Business Insider
- Check Out The Incredible Armored Trains Of World War I And World War II | Business Insider
- Missouri Governor: 'The World Is Watching' | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek