Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
- Where America's Airplanes Go To Die | ZeroHedge
- Cold War 2.0: Visualizing All Recent "Close Encounters" Between Russian And NATO Warplanes | ZeroHedge
- Why The US Consumer Is About To be Crushed: The Obamacare Inflationary Deluge Arrives | ZeroHedge
- Time To Get Real About China | ZeroHedge
- Tick Tock, The Greek Time Bomb Is About To Go Off | ZeroHedge
- Crescendo or Consolidation? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A classic children's brand is reinventing itself as a hangover cure | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (SPY, SPX, DIA, QQQ, HPQ, ROST, ARO, RAI, LO... | Business Insider
- 4 psychological tricks to instantly appear competent | Business Insider
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining'... | Business Insider
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June | Business Insider
- How former NFL star Tiki Barber hires at his startup | Business Insider
- US cop acquitted in shooting death of unarmed black... | Business Insider