Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Our Financial Future: Infinite Greed Meets A Funny Thing Called Karma | ZeroHedge
- Presenting De-Dollarization In One Simple Map | ZeroHedge
- 2000x Normal Radiation Found In Tokyo Playground, Officials Deny Any Link To Fukushima | ZeroHedge
- Bad News About Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- When Your Banana-Guy Starts Trading Stocks, You Know It's Over | ZeroHedge
- Pascal’s Wager | Financial Sense
- US May Use Cyberattacks As Offensive Weapon, DoD Says | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Death toll from Nepal earthquake passes 1,000: police | Business Insider
- Russia just unveiled its top secret Armata battle tank | Business Insider
- The top 10 tech company cafeterias | Business Insider
- Startup founders describe how... | Business Insider
- Choppers rescue Everest avalanche victims: AFP | Business Insider
- Man United boss Van Gaal faces revival mission... | Business Insider
- NYPD thanks Swedish cops on vacation for breaking up... | Business Insider