Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crude Oil Prices Are Spiking (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Here's Some Frightening Honesty (Courtesy Of The US Congress) | ZeroHedge
- Greece Slams EU Bailout-ers: "We Don't Want The $7 Billion, We Want To Rethink The Whole Program" | ZeroHedge
- Bank Of Russia Surprises With Unexpected Rate Cut, Brings YTD Total Of Nations Easing To 14 | ZeroHedge
- Germany Is (Almost) Japan: Bund Yield Plunges To Record 0.33% | ZeroHedge
- Will Draghi’s QE work? | Financial Sense
- 16% Of Global Government Bonds Now Have A Negative Yield: Here Is Who's Buying It | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- American and US Airways Pilots Approve New Contract by 66% to 34%| | TheStreet.com
- Whitney Houston's daughter was found unresponsive in... | Business Insider
- REVEALED: A breakdown of the demographics for each of the different social networks | Business Insider
- S&P 500 Recoups Losses as Mixed Earnings Fuel Volatility | TheStreet.com
- Here Comes GDP... | Business Insider
- A new multi-billion dollar market for Microsoft Windows is about to go crazy... | Business Insider
- Minnesota Timberwolves release welcome home video for Cavs game that... | Business Insider