Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- Cyberwars Escalate With US NSA As "Crown Creators Of Cyberespionage" | ZeroHedge
- "Maybe It's Not The Guns... Maybe It's The People Holding The Guns" | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts: A Decisive Shift In The Power Balance Has Occurred | ZeroHedge
- "The Deep State Needs To Worry About The Citizens It Is Screwing With" | ZeroHedge
- The Menace Of Egalitarianism | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Bombs Second Yemeni Wedding In A Week - At Least 23 Dead | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- California governor bans Redskins name at public schools | Business Insider
- The £71 billion beer deal of the decade is happening | Business Insider
- Russian air force hit 63 targets in Syria in 24... | Business Insider
- Two brave divers remove a fishing hook from the jaws of a shark | Business Insider
- New York fintech startup nets funding for international expansion (ORCL... | Business Insider
- CFOs are increasingly outsourcing these jobs to consultants | Business Insider
- Police: Palestinian stabs resident in central Israeli city... | Business Insider