Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CUE PANIC BUYING | iBankCoin.com
- Putin Says "Use Of Force In Ukraine Will Have Consequences" As Column Of Military Vehicles Seen Heading Toward Border | ZeroHedge
- In "Flash Boys," Michael Lewis Misses the Point -- Deliberately | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Wednesday | iBankCoin.com
- Mortgage Standards Are Plunging – It’s Muppet Fleecing Time All Over Again | ZeroHedge
- The Chinese Housing Ponzi Exposed: "As We Sell Our First Apartments, We’ll Have Cash Flow To Build The Next Stage" | ZeroHedge
- Cost Of "Breakfast In America" Soars To Highest In Over 2 Years | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Next Time You Hail A Cab You Might Wind Up With Free Financial Advice | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Dish Network Is Partnering... | Business Insider
- REPORT: Jeb Bush Admits He's 'Thinking About Running For... | Business Insider
- Russell Westbrook And Kevin Durant Are The Best Thing About The NBA Playoffs, In 3... | Business Insider
- McDonald's Is Rebuilding Kitchens To Look More Like Chipotle | Business Insider
- These People Didn't Recognize Their Own Family Members When They Saw Them On The... | Business Insider