Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dollar Comes Back Bid, but Still Vulnerable to Corrective Pressures | Financial Sense
- The Art of the Probe | Financial Sense
- The Angry German Press Reacts To Draghi's QExtension | ZeroHedge
- Congress Member Introduces Bill to Stop Funding Terrorists | ZeroHedge
- Trump Picks Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson As Secretary Of State | ZeroHedge
- US Service Sector Rebounds in November; Majority of Businesses Positive on Direction of Economy | Financial Sense
- Leaked Footage Exposes CNN Producing Fake News During First Gulf War | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pentagon chief Ash Carter sought to reassure Afghans ahead of Trump's presidency | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Treasurys are getting smashed (TLT, TBT) | Business Insider
- We tried the potato chips that prisoners are obsessed with... | Business Insider
- EX-UNDERCOVER DEA AGENT: What I told my friends and family about... | Business Insider
- Here's the one thing corporate America wants Trump... | Business Insider
- How to pick the right glasses for your face | Business Insider