Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Up 3.5% In August, Stocks Fall 6% to 12% | ZeroHedge
- BofA Saw Record "Buying Across The Board" Last Week, Just Before The Market Resumed Sliding | ZeroHedge
- Sep 3 - Obama Secures Iran Nuclear Deal With Barbara Mikulski Vote | ZeroHedge
- ConocoPhillips Fires 10% Of Global Workforce, Warns Of "Dramatic Downturn" To Oil Industry | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- “Fear Trade” Alert—Again | Financial Sense
- DeVoe’s Unprovable But Highly Probable Theories | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nations' pledges to cut emissions called insufficient | Business Insider
- Cilic, Ferrer advance as Serena steps onstage | Business Insider
- The 10 most popular iPhone apps of all time | Business Insider
- Trial set for officer charged with abusing Indian man | Business Insider
- Latest on US Open: Madison Keys makes 3rd round for 1st... | Business Insider
- September is historically the stock market's worst month... | Business Insider
- Guatemalan president faces judgment day in Congress | Business Insider