Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Zappos CEO Pushes "100% Weird" Boss-less Model After Employee Exodus | ZeroHedge
- ABC's of the AIIB | Financial Sense
- Philly Fed Hovers Near 15-Month Lows, Prices Paid Collapse Most Since Lehman | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stock Bubble Frenzy Returns; US Futures Flat Ahead Of Today's Pre-Holiday Zero Volume Melt Up | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap May 21, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- OBAMAS MaSSiVe FiGHT WiTH WaLL STReeT... | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE PROGRAMMATIC-ADVERTISING... | Business Insider
- GM could be held criminally... | Business Insider
- How a single state has twice as many truancy cases as the rest of America | Business Insider
- BlackBerry cuts more jobs as it changes its focus from phones (BBRY) | Business Insider
- Peruvian goalie drop-kicks referee in the back after receiving a yellow card | Business Insider
- Apple accidentally broke an Apple Watch feature with... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com