Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What A Correction Could Look Like | ZeroHedge
- When The "Worked So Far" Meme No Longer Works | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan: "Fed Stimulus Inflated Prices Of Financial Assets.... Removal Could Create Tail Event" | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Testing Krugman's Debt Reduction Strategy (And Finding It Fails) | ZeroHedge
- Why Is Gold Draining Out of COMEX Warehouses? | Financial Sense
- Bull Market, Really? | Financial Sense
- Gold Demand Extraordinary In Vietnam – Paying $217 Premium Over Spot | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mike Miller Loses A Shoe, Drains A Huge 3-Pointer For Miami | Business Insider
- The Physics Of The Curve Ball | Business Insider
- OBAMA: Bernanke Has Been Fed Chairman For 'A Lot Longer Than He Wanted Or He Was... | Business Insider
- Women Will Start Training For The Most Elite And Dangerous Posts In The... | Business Insider
- Brian O'Kelley Is Really Enjoying All The Speculation That Yahoo May Acquire AppNexus (... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Facebook Announcement: Video Instagram? | TheStreet.com