Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- UNCLe ERiC'S CoRPoRaTE CaBiN... | ZeroHedge
- The Most Important Commodity For Housing Is Screaming "Recession" | ZeroHedge
- OPEC’s Influence Has Long Been Exaggerated | Financial Sense
- Initial Jobless Claims Surge Most Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Piraeus Bank Denies Rumor It Has Run Out Of Cash | ZeroHedge
- No Crying Wolf: Exodus is Coming | iBankCoin.com
- Pending Home Sales Miss For 5th Month In A Row | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- North Korea's nuclear weapons program is booming | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- One dead in Cairo bomb blasts: health ministry | Business Insider
- Stars found forming at Milky Way's outer edge | Business Insider
- British Airways owner posts surging profits | Business Insider
- A new report says that BYU has a better value MBA than Harvard | Business Insider
- Rand Paul just unloaded on Jeb Bush for being 'hypocritical'... | Business Insider