Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Picturing The Amazon.com Of Illegal Drugs | ZeroHedge
- Two Myths About the Ukrainian Conflict | Financial Sense
- Record Jobs For Old Workers; Everyone Else - Better Luck Next Month | ZeroHedge
- Will Emerging Markets Come Back? | Financial Sense
- Money Managers Aren’t Paid to Forecast; They’re Paid to Adapt | Financial Sense
- Russia Needs to Sell Gas More Than EU Needs to Buy It | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap March 7, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- The 20 Most Powerful Harvard Graduates | Business Insider
- Let's Stop Repeating One Of The Biggest Lies About Startups | Business Insider
- Copper Is Getting Smoked | Business Insider
- Uber Spent A Ridiculous Amount Of Money To Fix Up Its New Office Space In San Francisco... | Business Insider
- First Comparison: BMW i3 vs. Chevrolet Volt | TheStreet.com