Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Troubles and the Incapable Nitwits of 2014 | Financial Sense
- The Kress Cycle and the Fate of the Middle Class | Financial Sense
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- 6 Things To Ponder: Bulls, Bears, Valuations & Stupidity | ZeroHedge
- How To Hug | Altucher Confidential
- The Global Economy in 2014 – the OECD, Japan, and China | Financial Sense
- These Stocks Are Hitting Their Marks | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Tech Stocks Spiking on Unusual Volume | TheStreet.com
- BANK OF AMERICA: Here Are Our 10 Favorite Stocks For 2014 (GM, ADM, XOM, C, DVA, CAT... | Business Insider
- 7 Spectacular Casino Hotels From Around The World | Business Insider
- BLACKROCK: Stock Valuation And Investor Sentiment Don't Justify Bubble Fears... | Business Insider
- Nobel Prize Winner: We May See Global Recession In 2014 | Business Insider
- New York Fashion Week Is About To Get Way More Exclusive | Business Insider
- A Dozen Creative Ideas For Decorating Blank Walls | Business Insider