Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
- 'Boots On The Ground' In Greece: "Stop The German Bloodletting" | ZeroHedge
- Merkel Addresses German Parliament: Key Points | ZeroHedge
- Who Knew This Would Happen? | iBankCoin.com
- Greek D(efault)-Day Arrives, As Does China's Plunge Protection Team | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Is China Sending A Warning? | ZeroHedge
- Pre-Blame-Game Begins: Fed's Brainard Fingers HFT For "Amplifying Market Shocks" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fires are spreading like crazy in Alaska and scientists are concerned | Business Insider
- Robert Redford sees 'last chance' to fix climate | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- NBC latest to dump Trump over Mexican immigrant comments | Business Insider
- The $28 million NYC penthouse where Joan Rivers filmed her... | Business Insider
- One of Goldman Sachs' most important M&A execs is leaving... | Business Insider
- Hot new salad chain Sweetgreen just raised a fresh $35 million | Business Insider