Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Urban Bubble in Commercial Real Estate | Financial Sense
- Sweden Slides Further Into NIRP, Cuts Rates To -0.50% | ZeroHedge
- BP's Stunning Warning: "Every Oil Storage Tank Will Be Full In A Few Months" | ZeroHedge
- Bank of Japan and Oil Detracting Market's Focus from Weak GDP Report | Financial Sense
- WTI Crude Plunges To New Cycle Lows As Energy Credit Risk Hits Record Highs | ZeroHedge
- China Explores Its Monetary Easing Toolkit | Financial Sense
- Treasury Bears Briefly Rescued After Massive Short Squeeze Collapses Yields | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Time-lapse video shows what lightning looks like from space | Business Insider
- This infographic explains the unprecedented rise of a massive new 'spending class' in China... | Business Insider
- College president under fire after reportedly calling struggling students... | Business Insider
- Criteo crossed $1 billion in revenue in 2015 — its CEO tells us the big reason why it's ad... | Business Insider
- US SPY CHIEF: We might hack... | Business Insider
- This one graphic is all you need to see to realize North Korea is a real threat to the US | Business Insider
- President Obama wants to give NASA $19 billion — but there’s... | Business Insider