Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trade With Japan Collapses: Exports Decline 7th Month, Imports Plunge Most Since 2009 | ZeroHedge
- Chicago Pension Liabilities Jump 168%, Understated by $11.5 Billion | Financial Sense
- The Dreadful Kagan Clan - Hillary's Warmongers-In-Waiting | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Collapses To 2009 Lows (As Fed Readies Rate Hike?) | ZeroHedge
- "Pre-Crime" Arrives In Chicago - Big Data Tells Cops Who's Next To Be Shot | ZeroHedge
- Iran Mocks Obama Again, Test-Fires 2 More Ballistic Missiles | ZeroHedge
- Lifelong-Liberal Rants "This Is Why I'm Leaving The Democratic Party" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A boy with a neurodegenerative condition got asked to prom in the sweetest way — and now he... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs downgraded stocks all over the world (SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- The Supreme Court again rejected Illinois... | Business Insider
- Tech billionaire Chris Sacca... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (GOOG, FB, VIAB,... | Business Insider
- Millennials have an entirely different approach to investing than their parents | Business Insider