Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Inside France's "The Jungle" Migrant Camp | ZeroHedge
- The Growth of the Anti-Establishment Movement Outside the West | Financial Sense
- Gundlach: "The Market Will Keep Pushing Deutsche Bank Lower Until It Is Bailed Out" | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are Crashing - Led By Banks | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 30 | ZeroHedge
- Outflows From Active Funds Surpass A Record $200 Billion | ZeroHedge
- China Housing Bubble Re-Inflates - "Even We Didn't Expect The Prices To Go Up This Much" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- The 25 most valuable liquor brands in the world | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Justin Theroux on his intense role in 'The Girl on the Train'... | Business Insider
- US retailers should look to the UK in order to... | Business Insider
- 100-million-year old skeletons are what make these world-famous cliffs so unusually white... | Business Insider
- Qualcomm is reportedly in talks to buy NXP Semiconductors (QCOM, NXPI) | Business Insider