Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Look Who’s Winning Again? | iBankCoin.com
- Varoufakis' Father Defends His Son After EU Praises "Significant Progress" Without Finance Minister | ZeroHedge
- No Really, Who Is Buying? | ZeroHedge
- GDP Weaker Than Expected | Financial Sense
- REMINDER: US Markets are Up Less than 3% This Year | iBankCoin.com
- What Happens If You Defy Curfew: A Shocking 90-Second Clip From The Streets Of Baltimore | ZeroHedge
- US Shale Sector Crashes After David Einhorn Repeats What Everyone Knows Already | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- Bill Clinton: Our foundation never did anything 'knowingly inappropriate' | Business Insider
- Team Hillary launches all-out campaign to discredit the... | Business Insider
- A potential website for presidential candidate Carly Fiorina... | Business Insider
- Millions of insomniacs claim this 8-hour video of a waterfall is the only thing that... | Business Insider
- The real reason Apple screwed up the... | Business Insider
- This cloud security stock is crashing after the company reported weak guidance (QLYS) | Business Insider