Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 20 Billion Barrels of Oil Were Not Discovered in the Permian Basin | Financial Sense
- Six Narratives On The Ascendancy Of Trump | ZeroHedge
- Technology, Not Trade or Regulations, Killed Manufacturing in America | Financial Sense
- A Second Look At The OPEC Deal: Here's What Can Go Wrong | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo General Counsel Postpones Retirement "In Light Of Recent Events" | ZeroHedge
- BRICS Caught Between India and China | Financial Sense
- UBS Warns "One-Sided" Sentiment Is Pure Contrarian Indicator, Upside Limited | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These 5 crazy-fast electric cars are giving supercars a run for their money | Business Insider
- How to choose the best cut of steak — according to Anthony Bourdain | Business Insider
- The FBI may have also... | Business Insider
- The new A4 sedan is the best Audi ever made | Business Insider
- Unemployment rate tumbles to a 9-year low | Business Insider
- A pattern is emerging with Trump's deals to save US manufacturing jobs (F... | Business Insider
- The best alternative destinations if you've already visited every major European... | Business Insider