Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saturday Night at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- China About to Miss the 7.5% GDP Growth Target | Financial Sense
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Shocking Anti-Islam Ad Campaign Coming To New York City Buses And Subways | ZeroHedge
- Gold - Watch the €1000 Level | Financial Sense
- GDP Watch: Summer 2014 Was World's Warmest Ever | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This GIF Shows How Unemployment Swept Across America After The... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Siemens to buy US oil equipment maker Dresser-Rand... | Business Insider
- Nissan defections reignite questions about future CEO | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer Debrief on Interview with Alibaba CEO Jack Ma | TheStreet.com
- MUNSTER: iPhone 6 Plus... | Business Insider