Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bombs Away! Washington Has Gone Stark Raving Mad | ZeroHedge
- Are Political Winds Turning Against the Fed? | ZeroHedge
- "Tax Me More" Buffett To Finance Burger King's Tax Inversion Deal | ZeroHedge
- Latin America: The Clouds May Be Clearing | Financial Sense
- Inside the Market’s Mind: Debt, Growth and Politics | Financial Sense
- The S&P 500 Through The Ages - From 200 To 2000 In 30 Years | ZeroHedge
- (Un)Comfortable Myths About High Yield Debt | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHART OF THE DAY: Amazon’s Biggest Acquisitions (AMZN) | Business Insider
- 17 Mindblowing Facts About Warren Buffett And His Mountain Of Wealth | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- HubSpot Plans A $100 Million IPO | Business Insider
- Defender Is Forced To Play Goalie In A Shootout After 118th-Minute Red Card, Makes Game-... | Business Insider