Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ISM Manufacturing Slumps To 3-Month Lows Led By Plunge In Employment | ZeroHedge
- Taking Profits | iBankCoin.com
- The Hunt For a Big Winner | iBankCoin.com
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Breaking Down China's $23 Trillion Debt Pile | ZeroHedge
- S&P Dares To Go There: Downgrades European Union To Negative Outlook | ZeroHedge
- China's 1929 Moment | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- GOP presidential candidate uses a Monica Lewinsky reference to... | Business Insider
- The changing face of Russia's emblematic matryoshka... | Business Insider
- Amy Schumer just made an emotional statement about standing up for what you... | Business Insider
- There's one crucial reason why I won't wear Converse... | Business Insider
- Amazing color photos of the Hindenburg Zeppelin show what luxury... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com