Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- South Korea Says North Korea Conducted Unsuccessful Missile Launches, US Officials Aware | ZeroHedge
- Will Thursday's Final TLTRO Finally Spark Carry Trades? | ZeroHedge
- Banks Stocks could underperform for years (Update) | ZeroHedge
- How Solid are Canada’s Big Banks? | ZeroHedge
- NOW Can We Admit the War On Terror Has Failed? | ZeroHedge
- Watch Live: Gorsuch Takes The Stand For Day 3 As Republicans Mull "Nuclear Option" | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Prepping Case Linking North Korea To $81MM New York Fed Bank Heist | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the 3 things every employee should do if they have a... | Business Insider
- THE FULLY AUTONOMOUS CAR UPDATE: How self-driving cars are poised to move into the mainstream and upend the automotive... | Business Insider
- Here are the biggest brands that have pulled their advertising from YouTube over... | Business Insider
- Trump's Supreme Court nominee is largely unscathed... | Business Insider
- These exquisite quilts illustrate the importance of diversification in investing... | Business Insider
- A former Russian lawmaker has been shot dead in Kiev and Ukraine is blaming Russia | Business Insider
- Comey: The Russians 'were unusually loud in... | Business Insider