Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- After Six Years In Office, Has Obama Seen "The Great Light"? | ZeroHedge
- FLY BUY: $QIWI | iBankCoin.com
- From One Non-Profit To Another - Jay Carney Moves To Amazon | ZeroHedge
- What Happens If The Department Of Homeland Security Shuts Down | ZeroHedge
- Fund Managers Betting Big on Eurozone Stocks; U.S. Equities Fall Out of Favor | Financial Sense
- The Herbalife Ice Cube Has Almost Melted: Presenting "Cash From Operations" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Goal-oriented people usually fail, and other things I've learned about succeeding... | Business Insider
- Incredible Vine shows an icy blue sunset on Mars | Business Insider
- 30 years ago, Warren Buffett gave away the secret to investing and... | Business Insider
- Here's what a 16-year-old Harvard 'dropout' learned from working at... | Business Insider
- Apple is hiring engineers to work on virtual reality devices (APPL) | Business Insider
- Scientists are beginning to understand why we settle for less than perfect relationships | Business Insider
- Leonard Nimoy created the Vulcan salute based off an unforgettable childhood... | Business Insider