Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dr. Lacy Hunt on US Endgame and Greatest Risk to Financial Markets | Financial Sense
- Not Scared Yet. Still Bear Hunting | iBankCoin.com
- Financial Insanity Grips The World | ZeroHedge
- Do You Smell Smoke? | ZeroHedge
- Bad News for China: Bernanke Says It’s Okay | Financial Sense
- The Coming Capital Controls Are Designed To Protect The Banks From You | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Cuba - Figuring Out Pieces Of The Puzzle | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how hotels are designed to put you in the mood | Business Insider
- Afghan police end Taliban siege of Kabul guesthouse | Business Insider
- German consumer confidence hits 13.5-year high | Business Insider
- 24 scary photos of the devastation caused by massive floods in Texas... | Business Insider
- Iran nuclear talks shift into top gear | Business Insider
- Mary Meeker's stunning 2015 presentation on the state of the web | Business Insider
- THE HEALTH AND PERSONAL CARE E-COMMERCE REPORT: How online... | Business Insider