Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Debt In The Age Of Unrestrained Central Banking | ZeroHedge
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
- Why the End of China's “Strong Yuan” Policy Matters to Global Markets | Financial Sense
- Dudley Puts the Kibosh on September | Financial Sense
- Clash, Mesh, Rattle... Thud | Financial Sense
- $7.1 Trillion In Global Sovereign Wealth Fund Assets: The Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Ron Paul Rages "Blame The Fed, Not China" For The Stock Market Crash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IS destroys part of famed Palmyra temple: monitor,... | Business Insider
- An Italian energy company says it just discovered what 'could become one of... | Business Insider
- Usain Bolt points to Rio with more gold in his hands | Business Insider
- Initial Common Core goals unfulfilled as results trickle... | Business Insider
- Here's why you shouldn't always book a hotel room through a third... | Business Insider
- London's colourful Notting Hill Carnival kicks off | Business Insider
- Suspect in ambush of Houston-area deputy due in court | Business Insider