Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Enter the Inter | Financial Sense
- The Five Elements to Understanding the Truth About Everything | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine - NATO, the EU, and the US vs. Putin | Financial Sense
- Futures Fail To Rally On Lack Of Yen Carry Levitation | ZeroHedge
- Meet The 2 Iranians At The Center Of The "Stolen Passport" Plot | ZeroHedge
- The "Harsh Weather" Verdict: 19% Spent Less, 27% Spent More, 55% Spent The Same | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Military Conducts Training Drill, To Test "Combat Readiness" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Germany Prepares To Supply Ukraine If Russia Shuts Off The Gas | Business Insider
- Your Open Floor Plan Is Making Everybody Sick | Business Insider
- Skrillex Released His First Full-Length Album Inside A Mobile Game | Business Insider
- Fuel Cell Stocks Are All Going Bananas Today (PLUG, FCEL, BLDP, HYGS) | Business Insider
- Here's What It's Really Like To Be A CIA Spy | Business Insider
- The 5 Best States For Women's Pay | Business Insider
- The Best Part Of The 'True Detective' Finale Was A 15-Minute Game... | Business Insider