Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | ZeroHedge
- Is This Why The Market Just Turned Green? | ZeroHedge
- NYSE Margin Debt Storms Back To All Time Highs | ZeroHedge
- An Abandoned Chart | iBankCoin.com
- China Expands Live-Fire Gulf Of Tonkin Drill; Warns Of Massive Flight Disruptions | ZeroHedge
- On Washington's Ukrainian Fiasco: "Who Is The Real Problem Here?" | ZeroHedge
- Q2 Earnings Show Improvement Over Prior Quarters | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Time-Lapse Video Shows Israel Flattening A Gaza... | Business Insider
- Here's Wall Street's Three-Word Summary Of Everything | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- China Troubles Bite McDonald's: Chart of the Day | TheStreet.com
- UPS Shares Tumble After An Ugly Earnings Report (UPS) | Business Insider
- Watch Frank Thomas Namecheck 139 Different Teammates In His Hall Of Fame Speech... | Business Insider