Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pre-Open Buying Panic In Stocks & Crude Extends As Euro Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- With The Lowest Volume Since Q1 2014, The Global M&A Boom May Be Over | ZeroHedge
- Clinton Adviser, Nobel Prize Winning Economist Endorsed Venezuelan Socialism | ZeroHedge
- Nigeria Currency Devaluation Looms As FX Forwards Crash To Record Lows | ZeroHedge
- SEC - Do Your Job!! | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: April Real Retail Sales Up 0.8% | Financial Sense
- Deleveraging Cycles Can Last a Very Long Time | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bill Cosby is back in court — here's what happens if you take the drug... | Business Insider
- Satellite imagery reveals ISIS... | Business Insider
- European shoppers stick to their domestic retailers (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon hilariously told an opponent he was going to strike... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Rousseff's impeachment may be about stopping a... | Business Insider
- Apple is about to build the perfect laptop (AAPL) | Business Insider