Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Wisdom Of Looking Like An Idiot Today | ZeroHedge
- Bill Gross Explains What "Keeps Him Up At Night" | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The World Is Stuck Between A Rock And A Squishy Place | ZeroHedge
- JPM Comes Out Against Bernanke's Helicopter: "Raising Inflation Expectations Is A Bad Idea" | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Stumble As VIX Hits 2-Month High | ZeroHedge
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- Birinyi, Sonders, & Rukeyser Celebrate The "Magical Stock Market Environment" In 1999 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 16 Incredibly Impressive Students At The University Of Michigan | Business Insider
- US TRADE BALANCE NARROWS SLIGHTLY LESS THAN EXPECTED | Business Insider
- Finland Used To Have The Best Education System In The World — What Happened? | Business Insider
- Apple's iPhone Business Is About To Get Its Mojo Back In A Big Way (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Here's Wall Street's Big Idea... | Business Insider
- New 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Poster Hints At Multiple... | Business Insider
- Kass: Everybody in the Pool | TheStreet.com