Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WTF WTI | ZeroHedge
- 'Elites' Called To Arms: "It's Time To Rise Up Against The Ignorant Masses" | ZeroHedge
- Futures Spike After Banks Unveil Tens Of Billions In Buybacks | ZeroHedge
- In Gold We Trust, 2016 Edition | ZeroHedge
- How They Hedged Brexit: Soros Was Short Deutsche Bank, Druckenmiller Was Long Gold | ZeroHedge
- Kuroda Is Trapped As The BOJ Can't Ease Any Further: Here's Why | ZeroHedge
- Nike Tumbles To August 2015 Levels After Missing On Revenue, Future Orders, Margin Decline | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Head of CIA: ISIS is plotting attacks against US | Business Insider
- Here's what comes next for EU citizens living in Britain... | Business Insider
- LeBron James is becoming a free agent for the 3rd year in a row, and... | Business Insider
- We got access to the best deal out there for a custom suit — and went through... | Business Insider
- The partnership of the future | Business Insider
- Expats are drying up the biggest economy in... | Business Insider
- Kevin Love shared a funny anecdote about knowing he had... | Business Insider