Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Markets In Turmoil" Russell 2000 Plunges Most In Over 2 Years, Dow Down For 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Banco Espirito Santo Plunges 20% As Goldman Cuts Stake | ZeroHedge
- Propaganda Full Frontal: A Little High Level Intervention And This Is What Happens | ZeroHedge
- Yamada on Market Top, Multi-Year Breakouts in Tech Stocks, and Downtrend in Gold | Financial Sense
- European Stocks Plunge Into Red For 2014, Portugal Down 10% This Week | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Is Not Your Friend | ZeroHedge
- Fact: Bank Product Prices Rise Faster Than Income & ALL Other Expenses - Fact: YOU Can Drop Bank Product Prices Now! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 15 Research-Backed Ways To Make People Like You | Business Insider
- Stephen Colbert Says He'll Hunt Dolphins In Japan... | Business Insider
- It Took About 3 Hours To Do Zoe Saldana's Makeup Every Day For '... | Business Insider
- English Soccer Player Scores Corkscrew Goal With The Outside Of His Foot | Business Insider
- The Pace Of Manufacturing In Europe Is Sitting At A 7-Month Low | Business Insider
- 'KILL' SPEED: How Andrew Cuomo's 'Need'... | Business Insider
- Oregon Quarterback Finished All His Real Classes In 3 Years, Has The Best Fall Class... | Business Insider