Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Peter Pan(ic) Policy Plunges USDJPY To 17-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- Either Banks Are Cheap... Or The Market's Gonna Crash | ZeroHedge
- If It Looks Like A Recession, And Smells Like A Recession... | ZeroHedge
- Key Events In The Coming Week: Janet Yellen Testifies, China Closed | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Yield Curve Crashes To 8-Year Lows, Financials Follow | ZeroHedge
- "I Don't Trust Deutsche Bank" David Stockman Unleashes Truth Bomb: "When The Crunch Comes, Bank CEOs Lie" | ZeroHedge
- Gary Shilling: All-Out Price War Could Send Oil to $10 to $20 a Barrel | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The US wants to send a rare, $800 million weapon to South Korea | Business Insider
- Traders are placing huge bets on the future of oil | Business Insider
- Leaked documents show Amazon is making a big play to bypass UPS... | Business Insider
- Astronomers now have a way to rank the... | Business Insider
- America is turning into Japan | Business Insider
- The way pillows are made is a lot more complicated than you would think | Business Insider
- Here's why working class voters are flocking to Trump and Sanders | Business Insider