Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China: Has Policy Reflation Lost Momentum? | Financial Sense
- From Brexit Wounds To Buying Panic (In Bonds & Stocks) | ZeroHedge
- Biometric Technology, "Brainprints", and the Death of the Password | Financial Sense
- The FED Finds a Good Excuse to Extend and Pretend Through Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Bad Earnings, Balance Sheet Rot, & The "Brelief" Rally | ZeroHedge
- WTF WTI | ZeroHedge
- Explaining The Latest Chaos In UK Politics | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Butter doesn't increase risk of heart disease after all | Business Insider
- Airbnb is a 'cautionary tale' on how... | Business Insider
- It's not just millennials who aren't buying homes | Business Insider
- Armed guards to patrol French beaches this summer | Business Insider
- Amazon is putting ads and product offers on the lockscreen of Android... | Business Insider
- 10 street foods you have to try in Rio de Janeiro | Business Insider
- Kroger joins Walmart, Home Depot in suing Visa (KR, V, MA, WMT, HD) | Business Insider