Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How A Chinese Farmer Lost More Than Everything Trading Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Yield Curve Flashing Yellow | Financial Sense
- Stuck In Market Purgatory: How China's Citizens Lash Out At The Broken Market, In Their Own Words | ZeroHedge
- Quantum Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Could Trump Win? | ZeroHedge
- Productivity and Modern-Day Horse Manure | Financial Sense
- "Bad News Is Bad News"? 30Y Yield Plunges Under 3.00%, Stocks & USD Slide After GDP Miss | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Conan O’Brien is being accused of stealing another... | Business Insider
- GM will spend $1 billion in India to double market its... | Business Insider
- After suing... | Business Insider
- 3 charts that should make you bullish | Business Insider
- The scariest chart in cable television | Business Insider
- Iraqis think the Iran nuclear... | Business Insider
- The real reason why the US Treasury took over Fannie... | Business Insider