Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Syriza’s Victory Is Not the End but the Beginning | Financial Sense
- Goldman: It's The Central Banks' Fault We Can't Be More Bearish On Gold | ZeroHedge
- While We Await The Durable Goods Data, The Algos Already "Know" | ZeroHedge
- Is 4th Time The Charm For Today's Slam-Silver-Surge-Stocks Algo? | ZeroHedge
- King Dollar CATastrophe: Currency War Drags Dow Down Almost 300 Points | ZeroHedge
- December Durable Goods: A Major Disappointment | Financial Sense
- Chairman Of Joint Chiefs Honors Dead Saudi King With Essay Competition - Here's Our Entry | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Stocks Haven't Been This Expensive In 10 Years | Business Insider
- McDonald's Is Overhauling Customer Service | Business Insider
- 516 'Brotherhood elements' arrested on Egypt... | Business Insider
- This Restaurant Chain Found A Way To Offer Workers 3 Months Of Paid Parental Leave... | Business Insider
- 5 Hated Earnings Stocks You Should Love: Alibaba, Flotek and More | TheStreet.com
- The New Tesla Car Has A Button Called ‘Insane Mode’ — Here’s What Happens When... | Business Insider
- Here's How Long It Takes Warren Buffett To Earn Your Salary | Business Insider