Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Low Oil Prices Hurting U.S. Shale Operations | Financial Sense
- FBI Raids Federal Contractor's Home – Has The Government Identified The "Second Leaker"? | ZeroHedge
- Get Ready for Shift in Fed Policy | Financial Sense
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Alan Greenspan: QE Failed To Help The Economy, The Unwind Will Be Painful, "Buy Gold" | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Mint Gold Coin Sales Near 60,000 - "Islamic State, Ebola, Putin, Ukraine" and Swiss Gold Initiative | ZeroHedge
- FOMC Ends The QE Dream, Keeps "Considerable" Period Hopes Alive - Full Statement Redline | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Auto Sales Rise in October but Pricing Outlook Concerns Ford and GM | TheStreet.com
- These Gross Bugs Are Used To Dye Food Red | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Man Who Mysteriously Disappeared From A Broncos Game Found 114 Miles Away After Walking For 5 Days... | Business Insider
- Madison Square Garden Is Soaring After Saying It Will Explore... | Business Insider
- HOME PRICES FALL (XHB, DIA, SPY, QQQ) | Business Insider
- 200 missing in Sri Lanka after mudslide | Business Insider