Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap Apr 24, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Is Greece About To "Lose" Its Gold Again? | ZeroHedge
- The Race to Diversify - Too Much Paper, Too Little Gold | Financial Sense
- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Half a Bubble Off Dead Center | Financial Sense
- The 'Grexit' Issue and the Problem of Free Trade | Financial Sense
- 11 Signs That We Are Entering The Next Phase Of The Global Economic Crisis | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This probably kills all hope of being able to upgrade your Apple Watch when the next... | Business Insider
- Choppers rescue Everest avalanche victims: AFP | Business Insider
- Startup founders describe how... | Business Insider
- Here's why eggs are so good for you | Business Insider
- Facebook has a brilliant feature that can help anyone who may be in... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Unusual 11... | StreetInsider.com