Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oversold Extremes and the Case for an October Low | Financial Sense
- Hyperinflation Cannot Be Prevented By Debt/Deflation | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Erase Draghi "Moar QE" Gains As USDJPY Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- BiG TRouBLe FoR LiSTeD CHiNa... | ZeroHedge
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- Why The Federal Reserve Should Be Audited | ZeroHedge
- China Scrambles To Enforce Capital Controls (Which Is Great News For Bitcoin) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pakistan renews commitment to facilitate Afghan peace... | Business Insider
- 11 choices rich people make that the rest of us don’t | Business Insider
- Tropical forests in trouble in SE Asia, west Africa:... | Business Insider
- Harbaugh's here! Michigan's most interesting man... | Business Insider
- LEADING OFF: Stanton could return, Martinez well rested | Business Insider
- Police: Man huffed keyboard spray after crash as cop... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek