Covered Call Picks (YOKU,GMCR,BAC,CLF,UPL)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||51.4||52.5||2.7||5.30%||Apr-12|
|BAC||Bank of America Corp||9.8||10||0.4||4.20%||Apr-12|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||72||72.5||2.9||4.00%||Apr-12|
|UPL||Ultra Petroleum Corp||24.9||25||1||4.00%||Apr-12|
Youku Inc (YOKU) is currently trading at $27.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.76 and $69.95.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $51.39. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
Bank of America Corp (BAC) is currently trading at $9.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.92 and $14.29.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $72.03. Its 52 week range is $47.31 and $102.48.
Ultra Petroleum Corp (UPL) is currently trading at $24.9. Its 52 week range is between $22.51 and $51.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 85% of Pension Funds to Fail in Three Decades | Financial Sense
- European Stocks Tumble As Investors Rush Into "Safe Haven" Italian Bonds!? | ZeroHedge
- NATO To Boost Air, Warship Presence Around Russia; Netherlands May Deploy F-16s To Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- Obama And Biden Explain How Great The Economy And Stocks Are - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- The "Shocking" Buying Spree Of America's Mysterious Third Largest Treasury Holder Ramps Higher | ZeroHedge
- Russell 2000 Breaks Below Key Technical Level | ZeroHedge
- "Ukraine In Very Dangerous Situation", No Lethal Assistance Coming Says White House | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Proof That Netflix Is Destroying Cable TV | Business Insider
- A 10-Second Guide To What Traders Are Talking About Today | Business Insider
- This Massive Private Island In The Bahamas — Once Listed For $55 Million —... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- The Best Tax Day Freebies and Meal Deals | TheStreet.com
- Yahoo Soars On Earnings Even Though Its Underlying Business Is Still Stagnant (YHOO) | Business Insider
- It's Time to Sell Yahoo | TheStreet.com