Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Global Dynamics Playing Larger Role in Fed Policymaking | Financial Sense
- New Highs in Cumulative A/D Is Not Confirmation of a Healthy Market | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap May 29, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Dead Markets Drifting As Dollar Drops | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 29 | ZeroHedge
- Ross Ulbricht, Founder Of Bitcoin Bazaar Silk Road, Sentenced To Life In Jail | ZeroHedge
- WeLCoMe To MouNT 9-11 USA... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- American Express president Ed Gilligan has died (AXP) | Business Insider
- US oil rig count falls (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE) | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- There's a new rival to Kickstarter — but it... | Business Insider
- Most of us are looking at China all wrong | Business Insider
- Two of the women whose Instagram photos were... | Business Insider
- Check out Bill Gross' old... | Business Insider