Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Big Four Economic Indicators Show Possible Rollover | Financial Sense
- The Window For The iBC Investor Conference Is Closing | iBankCoin.com
- Consensus Expects Year-End Rally Post 10% Market Correction | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap October 23, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Don’t Let Them High Pressure You | iBankCoin.com
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- Chart Of The Day: Jeff Bezos "Value Creation" Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Larry Page Is Taking A Big Step Back At Google To See The 'Bigger Picture,' And... | Business Insider
- Everyone Wants To Know Who The Mystery Woman Is In 'The Avengers' Sequel... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Why Google's Job Interviews Never Last More Than 30 Minutes | Business Insider
- Movies Of The Past That Correctly Predicted The Technology We Have Today | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com