Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Runaway Credit Card Debt Makes 2017 Look Like 2007 | Financial Sense
- Pope Francis Warns Against "Saviours" Like Hitler, But Says "We Must Wait And See" On Trump | ZeroHedge
- Doug Casey Warns "Every American Needs To Be Concerned Right Now" | ZeroHedge
- Goldman: "All Our Clients Are Confused And Unsettled" | ZeroHedge
- How The New York Times Plays With History | ZeroHedge
- ECRI Weekly Leading Index: "Disentangling Cyclical from Structural" | Financial Sense
- May Answers the Big Brexit Question | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- BERNSTEIN: 'We are one tweet away from … well, almost anything really... | Business Insider
- The Honda CR-V is an intuitive and comfy ride for the everyday driver | Business Insider
- Sony slashed over $100 off the price of one of my favorite pairs of headphones | Business Insider
- Israel's Prime Minister Netanyahu to speak with... | Business Insider
- Here's why mortgage rates will stay low | Business Insider
- $25 BILLION: Trump's plan to cut Wall Street... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek