Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
- The Panic Containment Team Speaks: Ebola Poses "Little Risk" To The US, CDC Claims: Is It Wrong? | ZeroHedge
- Are Commodities Talking to Us? | Financial Sense
- A-D Line Divergence Again | Financial Sense
- China’s Market Finally Looks Like a Buy | Financial Sense
- Our Totalitarian Future - Part 2 | ZeroHedge
- The Only Chart You Will Need To Trade Russian Sanctions | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ryan Howard's Historic $125 Million Contract Has Turned Into A Nightmare For The... | Business Insider
- MAP: Here's Your Risk Of Becoming A Victim Of A... | Business Insider
- BLACKROCK: Investor Fatigue Seems To Be Setting In | Business Insider
- Libya Is At Its Most Chaotic Point Since Qaddafi's Ouster | Business Insider
- 24 Reasons Sweden Is The Most Delightful Country On Earth | Business Insider
- This Company Is Turning The Desert Green — And It Could Radically Change the... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs Is Granting A Teen Cancer Patient's Wish To Be An Investment Banker... | Business Insider