Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- EU Officials To Unveil 'Ultimatum' Blueprint As Final Solution For European Super-State | ZeroHedge
- Target2 Imbalances Grow: ECB Overtakes Greece as Third Largest Debtor | Financial Sense
- Is The US Locking Up Its Available Male Labor Force? | ZeroHedge
- In Latest Shock To Status Quo, Spanish Left-Wing Parties Set To Win Parliamentary Majority | ZeroHedge
- European Banks Crash To Worst 2-Day Loss Ever As Default Risk Soars | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- The Last Time Bonds Were Here, The Recession Started | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 18 annoying things job candidates do that make hiring managers not... | Business Insider
- Alert: Fintech revolution hits roadblocks | Business Insider
- Why Lionel Messi saying he's going to quit the Argentine... | Business Insider
- 3 reasons corporate VCs make ideal investors (besides... | Business Insider
- 4 ways to get customers to buy more | Business Insider
- Why thieves steal soap | Business Insider
- Understand fintech - Amazon's next possible frontier - with this report... | Business Insider