Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How China Lost an Entire Spain in 17 Days | ZeroHedge
- Why Buffett Bet A Billion On Solar | Financial Sense
- Yelp Plunges 11%, Halted After CEO Gives Up Trying To Find Buyer | ZeroHedge
- Who Will Be The Last To Crash? | ZeroHedge
- Is Saudi Arabia Leaving The U.S. Behind For Russia? | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Just Crushed The "Strong Fundamentals" Lie; Cuts EPS, GDP, Revenue And Profit Forecasts | ZeroHedge
- Big Four Economic Indicators: Spring Rebound, Though Risks Remain | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 times being cheap could cost you more | Business Insider
- Sexy six-packs back in 'Magic Mike XXL' | Business Insider
- Belgium adopts law against 'vulture funds' | Business Insider
- A bunch of Barclays brokers jumped ship last month for Merrill Lynch | Business Insider
- The BBC is cutting 1,000 jobs | Business Insider
- Airline stocks are getting crushed (JBLU, DAL... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump fires back at 2016 rival: You 'couldn’t be elected dog... | Business Insider