Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Slams "Cynics", Tells World "Nobody Else Can Do What We Do" - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- In Iraq, the United States and Iran Align Against the Islamic State | Financial Sense
- Stuck in the Middle with Merkel? Upcoming German State Elections | ZeroHedge
- Spotting The Next Detroit - America's Fasting-Shrinking Cities | ZeroHedge
- Deflation’s Final Curtain Call (Part 2) | Financial Sense
- Lacy Hunt: The World Economy's Terminal Case Of Debt Sclerosis | ZeroHedge
- WTF White House Statement Of The Day: Syria Airstrikes Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Stores Back-To-School Shopping Can't Save | TheStreet.com
- The Percentage Of Californians With Earthquake Insurance Has Been... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- I Rode A Folding Bike 475 Miles Across Iowa And It Was Some Of The Most Fun I've... | Business Insider
- Why You Just Can't Wear Shorts Or Flip-Flops To The Office | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett Singlehandedly Undermined Democrats' Main... | Business Insider
- Tech Disruption Will Create New Winners And Losers In The Massive... | Business Insider