Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- David Einhorn Gets A Divorce, Shorts Sovereigns, Is Bullish On Gold | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: February 22 | ZeroHedge
- Estate Planning for Asset Protection | Financial Sense
- This Is What Lies In Store For France | ZeroHedge
- CT Intends to Confiscate Your Pension Wealth | ZeroHedge
- China Prepares For "Regime Collapse" In North Korea | ZeroHedge
- Reality Catching Up With Expectations | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 skills you should have to get a job at Google, Apple, or Microsoft | Business Insider
- Trump is looking for jobs advice from companies that send jobs overseas... | Business Insider
- Under Armour's 'soaring' shoe sales reveal a terrible truth for the business (UA... | Business Insider
- Syracuse beats Duke with buzzer-beater and picks up an important upset win... | Business Insider
- The CEO of a $650 million YouTube juggernaut is stepping down | Business Insider
- Apple fixed an annoying iPhone battery bug and didn't tell people for... | Business Insider
- Sturm Ruger earnings soar on new product sales (RGR) | Business Insider