Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The False Promises Of 2% Inflation | ZeroHedge
- SCaMDaLF THe MuNiFiCeNT... | ZeroHedge
- Nigeria, Belarus Halt All FX Trading As Central Bank Urges "Don't Panic" | ZeroHedge
- Why The US Is About To Be Flooded With Record Oil Production Due To Plunging Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
- U.S. vs. Global Shock | Financial Sense
- Credit & Volatlity Are Flashing Red, "But We Aren't In A Crisis, Are We?" | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Consolidates as Oil Slide Continues | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Two Teenagers Built A 3D-Printed Wristband That Can... | Business Insider
- McDonald's Highest-Calorie Menu Item Is In Crisis | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Two New York police officers 'executed' in Brooklyn | Business Insider
- Take Goldman Sachs' Christmas Crossword And Find Out How Well You Remember 2014... | Business Insider
- How The Hackers Broke Into Sony And Why It Could Happen To Any Company | Business Insider
- 8 Stylish Gifts That Will Arrive By Christmas Eve | Business Insider