Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pentagon Admits "Lapses In Accountability" Led To Loss Of Hundreds Of Thousands Of US Guns In Afghanistan And Iraq | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Which Socialist Utopia Has Seen Car Sales Drop 99%? | ZeroHedge
- State Department Urges US Citizens To Leave Gaza "As Soon As Possible" | ZeroHedge
- EpiPen-demonium Drags Stocks To Worst Drop Since Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Cutting Through The Crap: The Ultimate Clinton-Trump Policy Cheatsheet | ZeroHedge
- Services PMI Tumbles To 6-Month Lows: "GDP Growth Is Failing To Accelerate In Q3" | ZeroHedge
- Jackson Hole Conference Schedule And List Of Attendees Released | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Get ready to say goodbye to a lot of electric cars (TSLA) | Business Insider
- How drones will change the world in the next 5 years | Business Insider
- Apple just fixed a serious security flaw — you... | Business Insider
- Black Republicans: Trump needs to take his outreach... | Business Insider
- The maker of the EpiPen is blaming Obamacare for people... | Business Insider
- Here's one trick for tackling any stressful... | Business Insider
- Federal budget deficit increases for the first time since... | Business Insider