Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Big Brother Is Here: Facebook Reveals Its Master Plan - Control All News Flow | ZeroHedge
- TBTFs HAve $551 Trillion in Rate-Based Derivatives on Their Balance Sheets | ZeroHedge
- #AskBen: Welcome To Twitter @BenBernanke | ZeroHedge
- Are Central Banks 'Rigging' Rates or Dealing With Past Sins? | Financial Sense
- Is This The Real Reason Putin & Xi Dislike The West? | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- Former Fed Governor Admits Market Controlling The Fed Is A "Very Dangerous Development" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable 52-... | StreetInsider.com
- Incredible chart shows how intelligence changes as we age | Business Insider
- One of New York's 'outlaw Instagrammers... | Business Insider
- How Cameron could avoid throwing his party into chaos if he... | Business Insider
- International Cricket Council names World Cup XI | Business Insider
- Ex-PM Olmert found guilty in corruption case: Israel media... | Business Insider
- Thai junta chief says he has asked king to lift martial... | Business Insider