Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 2nd Hindenburg Omen In 3 Days Stumbles Stocks; Bonds And Bullion Bid | ZeroHedge
- Gold and Silver Stocks Are for Losers | iBankCoin.com
- The Black Death Is Back...?! | ZeroHedge
- 10yr Auction Post Mortem + 30yr Auction Thoughts | ZeroHedge
- What America's Companies Really Think | ZeroHedge
- Worst. Congress. Ever | ZeroHedge
- Taper & Quantitative Easing Reality Check | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why ImmunoCellular Therapeutics (IMUC) Lost Half Its Value Today | TheStreet.com
- Tablets Are Becoming A Favorite Shopping Tool, And They're Used Totally... | Business Insider
- 7 Charts On How American Health Has Changed Since The 90s | Business Insider
- Senate Aide To Harry Reid Trolls John Cornyn In... | Business Insider
- The 5 Worst TV Shows Of 2013 | Business Insider
- The Disastrous Rollout Of Obamacare Just Saved The... | Business Insider
- A Huge Chinese Bitcoin Arbitrage Has Disappeared | Business Insider