Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Perfect (Dollar) Storm – When Currencies Collide Part 1 | Financial Sense
- Producer Price Increase Lowest In 2014 As Energy Slides | ZeroHedge
- The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) Bond: Nondisclosure Agreement Creates Two Classes of Bondholders | ZeroHedge
- What A Difference Two Weeks Makes: Spot The Cognitive Dissonance In These Two Headlines | ZeroHedge
- BofA Stopped Out Of EURUSD Short: Stolper 2.0 Strikes Again | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Doves vs. Hawks | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Market Wrap: FOMC... | StreetInsider.com
- Biotech Company Auxilium Explodes After Takeover Offer (AUXL, ENDP) | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- ISIS Is Having An Alarmingly Easy Time Recruiting Fighters In Turkey | Business Insider
- 19 Famous Thomas Jefferson 'Quotes' That He Actually... | Business Insider
- The Top Leaders Of A Navy Ship Were Fired In The Middle Of Their Deployment | Business Insider