Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- MoRon MoRoN MoRoN! | ZeroHedge
- Traders Walk In On Another Sleepy Session In Search Of Its Volumeless Levitation Catalyst | ZeroHedge
- Monday Humor: 33 Uncomfortably True Charts About Everyday Life | ZeroHedge
- Furious Chinese Rioters Beat Corrupt Policemen To Death | ZeroHedge
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- Why Putin Is Smiling At The Bond Market's Blockade Of Russia | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 22 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Plug Power Stock Is Gaining Today | TheStreet.com
- Facebook's... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Nine Out Of 10 Industries Most Often Offer Lower Prices... | Business Insider
- Why NYC Cops And Firefighters Keep Getting Into Massive Brawls | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 5 Tricks Advertisers Use To Make You Buy Their Products | Business Insider