Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Americans Die | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Consumer Spending: A Positive Surprise! | Financial Sense
- Potential for "Very High" Natural Gas Spikes This Year, Says Energy Analyst | Financial Sense
- FX: Ranges Persist, though Sterling is Exceptional | ZeroHedge
- 4 Key Reasons for CAPEX Accelerating | Financial Sense
- Seasonality Data Dump: A Mirror Image | iBankCoin.com
- How Do You Justify Consuming ExxonMobil’s Oil? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch This Bald Man Grow Hair In A Matter Of Seconds | Business Insider
- We Followed Anchor Legend Pat Kiernan Through His 15-Hour Workday | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The Easiest Way To Core A Head Of Lettuce | Business Insider
- Market Wrap:... | StreetInsider.com
- It's Time To Stop Being Such A Restaurant Snob | Business Insider
- What Happened To 7 Of The Earliest Employees Who Launched Amazon | Business Insider