Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don Coxe: Raise Cash, Hold Gold | Financial Sense
- "Dear Janet"? - China Devalues Most Since August, Yuan Tumbles To Lowest Since Sept 2010 | ZeroHedge
- For The First Time In 2016, Junk Bond Defaults Are Decelerating | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: October 21 | ZeroHedge
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
- Obama Admin Stunned By Duterte: "The Minute You Say Something, He Lets Loose His Barrage Of Obscenities" | ZeroHedge
- Hacking Democracy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The US is ahead of Europe in blockchain innovation | Business Insider
- BYU coach explains the decision to call what is being called the worst fake punt in... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump has revealing things to say about the movie everyone compares... | Business Insider
- Here's the best way for cord cutters to watch football live this fall | Business Insider
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced his... | Business Insider
- A $47 billion transatlantic tobacco deal is in the works... | Business Insider
- A single line in an obscure court case reveals how the... | Business Insider