Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Take Note: 2008 Was the Warm Up | ZeroHedge
- Is Saudi Arabia Setting the World Up for Major Oil Price Spike? | Financial Sense
- Cyprus Provided a Template For the Coming Bank Holidays and Account Seizures | ZeroHedge
- Is The Student Debt Bubble About To Witness Its 2007 Moment? | ZeroHedge
- SCeNe ON SKYPe... | ZeroHedge
- When The ECB Starts Buying Corporate Bonds And Stocks Here's Where It Should Look | ZeroHedge
- Interview With Marc Chandler: Still in Early Stages of Dollar Rally | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch this gorilla crack its glass cage after racing toward the little girl who provoked it... | Business Insider
- 32 awesome photos of musicians performing at Coachella | Business Insider
- Muscle memory has nothing to do with muscles — here's how it works | Business Insider
- Michael Jordan's 'Jumpman' logo may soon be on NBA uniforms | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- SpaceX's biggest competitor is a company you've never heard of | Business Insider
- Mexico drug lord's arrest sparks gunfights, three dead | Business Insider