Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Price “Will Probably Test $1400” as Crimea Moves to Quit Ukraine | Financial Sense
- Out of My Element, Donny | iBankCoin.com
- Looking for Another Precious Voyage | iBankCoin.com
- Due for a Sell Off | iBankCoin.com
- Can the Rally in Global Commodities Be Sustained? | Financial Sense
- Profit Taking in Metals After Eight Consecutive Weeks of Rising Prices | Financial Sense
- Bacon, Inflation, And "What Gets Measured Gets Managed" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 03/07: (SWY) (... | StreetInsider.com
- JOBLESS CLAIMS FALL MORE THAN EXPECTED | Business Insider
- McDonald's To Introduce Bacon Clubhouse Burger | Business Insider
- 5 Cult TV Shows We Wish Netflix Would Bring Back | TheStreet.com
- Britain's Prostitution Laws Are A Mess | Business Insider
- 19 Things America Does Better Than The Rest Of The World | Business Insider
- The US Sees More Money Lost To Card Fraud Than The Rest... | Business Insider