Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China, Europe & Earnings at Home | Financial Sense
- Gold Prices Spike 2% to 1-Month High as U.S. Stocks Dump With Bond Yields on Poor Retail Sales Data | Financial Sense
- No Hard-Landing for China’s Economy for Now | Financial Sense
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- McDonalds Sales Plunge In Worst Month Since 2003 Following Dollar Meal "Sticker Shock" | ZeroHedge
- Early Q3 Earnings Not Driving the Market | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Franco-German mini-summit to tackle growth, budget | Business Insider
- Why Facebook Is Still The Dominant Social Network, In One Chart (FB) | Business Insider
- The 25 Biggest Landowners In The US | Business Insider
- Take A Tour of America's Swankiest Denny's | Business Insider
- McDonald's Franchisees Say The Company Is Bankrupting Them | Business Insider
- Drogba on target in Chelsea rout of Maribor | Business Insider
- Britain's Finances Are An Astonishing Mess Compared To Those Of The US... | Business Insider