Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Debate Commission Admits There Was An "Issue" With Trump's Microphone | ZeroHedge
- How Reuters "Tweaked" Its Latest Poll (Again) To Show A Clinton Lead | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Highest Since Recession | Financial Sense
- Truth in Numbers | Financial Sense
- "People Are Mad" - Dave Collum Warns "Existential Change Is In The Air" | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Reacts To Sept. 11 Bill Veto Override | ZeroHedge
- Inside France's "The Jungle" Migrant Camp | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Cleveland Browns will 'close that chapter' on Josh... | Business Insider
- Lady Gaga will headline next year's Super Bowl halftime show | Business Insider
- Watch the brutal Hillary Clinton ad that pits Trump against himself | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank got slammed again | Business Insider
- James Bond producer says Daniel Craig is the 'first choice... | Business Insider
- 'I interviewed over 100 people at Goldman Sachs, and this was the biggest mistake... | Business Insider
- This Alibaba app lets you ask strangers to deliver toilet paper | Business Insider