Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It's A Trap! | ZeroHedge
- Trump Nomination Odds Hit Record High As Rubio Urges GOP Not To "Ignore The Will Of The People" | ZeroHedge
- MaY DaY MaY DaY MaY DaY…2016 | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Stopped Out Of "Short Gold" Recommendation | ZeroHedge
- Why Canada's Oil Industry May Never Be The Same | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: The Last Minutes Of Life Of A Bumbling ISIS Fighter | ZeroHedge
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Astronomers found a way to avoid one of Stephen Hawking’s greatest fears... | Business Insider
- Fox News anchor Chris Wallace describes the most important moment of... | Business Insider
- IT professionals: What are your top priorities this year? | Business Insider
- I found the best place to order flowers online for Mother’s Day | Business Insider
- This guy got Windows 95 running on an Apple Watch (AAPL, MSFT) | Business Insider
- Germany: Attack on Syrian hospital can 'be traced back' to Assad | Business Insider
- This regional soda could take over the United States thanks to its... | Business Insider