Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
- America’s Ballooning Student Debt: Lessons Learned From Chile | Financial Sense
- US Debt In The Age Of Unrestrained Central Banking | ZeroHedge
- This Trade Works Like Clockwork | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- Why the End of China's “Strong Yuan” Policy Matters to Global Markets | Financial Sense
- The Week That Laid The Experts Bare | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Activists say IS damages ancient temple in Syria's... | Business Insider
- London's colourful Notting Hill Carnival kicks off | Business Insider
- Justin Wilson's brother calls accident a freak incident... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett just disclosed his newest $4.5 billion investment pick (PSX) | Business Insider
- Nadal hopes to make new memories vs Coric as US Open... | Business Insider
- Jake Arrieta of Cubs working on no-hitter against Dodgers... | Business Insider
- Greek coast guard picks up nearly 2,500 migrants in 3 days... | Business Insider