Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don't Show Bill Dudley This Chart | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Down Again on Energy Debt and Inventories Data | Financial Sense
- Lakshman on US Slowdown, Shocks, and China | Financial Sense
- Gold to Beat Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Artist's Impression Of Hillary's Inauguration | ZeroHedge
- How €3.5 Trillion In NIRP Debt Made Europe's Credit Market "Most Vulnerable Since Lehman" | ZeroHedge
- Should You Buy "Falling Knives" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bernie Sanders' biggest promise about mass... | Business Insider
- A new peace deal for Syria effectively gives Russia and Assad '... | Business Insider
- Wall Street is rushing to take advantage of the crazy markets | Business Insider
- Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller... | Business Insider
- Neurological disorder on the rise in countries affected by... | Business Insider
- A bunch of new startups are trying to make it cheaper and... | Business Insider
- Here's why analysts have no idea who's going to win the next... | Business Insider