Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Shiller's CAPE – Is There A Better Measure? | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Man Shot Dead In Paris By Police, Sparking Riot, Beijing Protest | ZeroHedge
- NY Fed: "Oil Prices Fell Due To Weakening Demand" | ZeroHedge
- Hedge Fund CIO: "The Market Doesn’t Care About Health Care. Poor People Care About Health Care" | ZeroHedge
- NBC News Signs Former Obama Press Secretary To Provide "Unbiased" Political Commentary | ZeroHedge
- GOP Healthcare Bill Rebranding Begins | ZeroHedge
- Top Republican Warns: "Government Shut Down Is A Real Possibility, And Wall Street Is Unprepared" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The guy who started Android just teased the new phone he's building | Business Insider
- Russia has rejected US and EU calls to free... | Business Insider
- Snapchat sinks as Facebook launches a clone (SNAP) | Business Insider
- Stocks just hit an ugly streak that hasn't happened... | Business Insider
- 9 everyday missteps that make you look like you never learned your manners | Business Insider
- US consumer confidence explodes to the highest level since 2000 | Business Insider
- The world's top 10 companies, ranked by reputation | Business Insider