Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Equities Coil Despite USDJPY Turmoil As Bullish Stock Speculators Hit 16-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- Trump Victory Odds Soar As The Hillary Clinton 'Death Cross' Strikes | ZeroHedge
- Immigrants Dwarf American Households In Welfare: "Obama Seeks $17K For Every Illegal Minor" | ZeroHedge
- On Krugman’s Cherry-Picking Skills – Exhibit 1: The Clinton Boom | ZeroHedge
- Keynes Must Die | ZeroHedge
- Delinquency Rates Surge in 2016, Poised to Head Higher | Financial Sense
- Wheelbarrow Economics | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's reliance on nuclear power is in an odd spot | Business Insider
- The data geeks are taking over Wall Street | Business Insider
- A world champion public speaker says introverts often... | Business Insider
- FORMER GREEK FINANCE MINISTER: How I dealt with stress when Greece... | Business Insider
- Drones are about to fill the skies within the next 5 years... | Business Insider
- Iran isn't backing down over oil | Business Insider
- Rare photos show life inside North Korea's top-secret military | Business Insider