Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Congress Backs Terrorists In Syria … Then Says We Need NSA Spying Because There are Terrorists In Syria | ZeroHedge
- As Long As The Market Keeps Rising "This" Doesn't Matter | ZeroHedge
- THE SANTA CLAUS RALLY BEGINS NOW | iBankCoin.com
- Majority in U.S. Say Healthcare Not Government’s Responsibility | Financial Sense
- Now or Never for the Color | iBankCoin.com
- As "Expected" EURJPY 139.00 Lifts Stocks Into The Green | ZeroHedge
- Is a Stock Correction About to Catch Complacent Bulls by Surprise? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It's The Same Old Depressing Story In Europe Today | Business Insider
- How Facebook's News Feed Changes Will Hurt Twitter | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- NBA Game In Mexico City Evacuated Because Of A Fire In... | Business Insider
- [video] Jim Cramer on Krispy Kreme, eBay and Yum Brands | TheStreet.com
- I Just Took A Totally Average $200 Plane Trip To California — But Here's How Cool It USED To... | Business Insider
- Here's A Question About A Revolving Door That The Smartest Math Students In The World... | Business Insider