Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart Of The Day: Recession Dead Ahead? | ZeroHedge
- E&P Writedowns Loom As Reserves Overvalued By 60% | ZeroHedge
- Despite Tsipras Complaining That "ECB Has Rope Around Our Neck" Greece Finds Enough Cash To Make IMF Payment | ZeroHedge
- "There’s Going To Be Chaos" - What Is The Worst-Case Outcome Of Today's Supreme Court Obamacare Hearing | ZeroHedge
- Rig Count Decline Re-Accelerates To 2nd Biggest Drop In 22 Years | ZeroHedge
- Biotech Rampage | iBankCoin.com
- The Eurozone: On the Road to Recovery With a Lingering Risk | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Three signs 2015 will be the year of real wage growth | Business Insider
- SHERYL SANDBERG: Men who do housework have more sex | Business Insider
- Harrison Ford's plane crashed in the middle... | Business Insider
- An escort agency bought a billboard on... | Business Insider
- Gauging Apple Watch’s huge opportunity in the luxury-... | Business Insider
- Presidential hopeful is sorry if you were... | Business Insider