Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It's Official: "We Are All Terrorists Now" | ZeroHedge
- AI, Robotics, and the Future of Jobs | Financial Sense
- FOMC Minutes Show Many Members Believe Rates Should Rise Sooner | ZeroHedge
- Is China’s Economy Too Big to Transform? | Financial Sense
- Inflation Watch: $245,000 to Raise a Child in United States | ZeroHedge
- Russia-China Launch Biggest Central Asian Military Drill, Testing Surface-To-Air Missiles | ZeroHedge
- THESE ARE THE NEW TRADES | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Paramount Goes Above And Beyond To Help A Sick 'Teenage... | Business Insider
- Smart TVs And Streaming Devices Are Conquering The Living Room — And... | Business Insider
- Tear Gas Can Cause Deaths, Amputations, and Miscarriages | Business Insider
- STOCKS RALLY: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM, DKS, HD, RDEN,... | Business Insider
- The Feds Are Finally Going After One Of The Most Infamous Executives Of The... | Business Insider
- This Excel Trick Will Save You A Ton Of Time When Updating Charts | Business Insider