Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Fed Policies Have Made The Rich Much Richer", Fed President Admits | ZeroHedge
- Weibo Opens Way Below IPO Price | ZeroHedge
- Buying Panic Appears Just In Time For Op-Ex | ZeroHedge
- I Hope You Live Forever | iBankCoin.com
- "Pro-Russian Separatists" Attack Ukraine Soldiers With Guns, Molotov Cocktails, Local TV Station Reports (4 Killed, 12 Injured) | ZeroHedge
- What Oil War Premium? | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap April 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Startup Is Releasing An iPad Case That Makes Buttons Magically Appear On The Screen | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER: Facebook Location... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer on Yahoo! and Bank of America Earnings | TheStreet.com
- CHART: NBA Tops All Sports Leagues With Highest Average Salary For Players | Business Insider
- 'Breaking Bad' Creator Reveals Series... | Business Insider
- The Most Outrageous Fashion Trends Spotted At Coachella | Business Insider
- Markets Rise In Asia | Business Insider