Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Today’s Hybrid Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Ron Paul Asks "Will The Swiss Vote To Get Their Gold Back?" | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Monday | iBankCoin.com
- Great Graphic: Three Fed Cycles and Stocks and Bonds | Financial Sense
- This Is What Happens When The 'Unrigged' Market Breaks | ZeroHedge
- What It Looks Like When The Second Auto Subprime Bubble Pops | ZeroHedge
- Knockout at the MGM | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Van Gaal wants more from match-winner Di Maria | Business Insider
- Intel Is Helping Designers Build Smarter Devices With Better Hardware And... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- The Newest Credit Reporting Act Doesn't Have A Chance | Business Insider
- Giant Eyes And Hooked Tentacles: Meet The Colossal Squid | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- A Wall Street Exec Explains What Instantly Turns Him Off When He Sees A Resume | Business Insider