Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Cybersecurity of the Power Grid: A Growing Challenge | Financial Sense
- It`s All About The 2018 Mid-Term Elections (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Most Illegal Immigrants Live In America's Metropolitan Areas | ZeroHedge
- What Could Go Wrong? | Financial Sense
- In Latest Intel Mutiny Against Trump, DHS Analysts Say White House Travel Ban Is Wrong | ZeroHedge
- The Four Horsemen of the Retirement Apocalypse | Financial Sense
- Pettis: Capital Flooding Into US as Global Trade Environment Deteriorates | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Here's how countries around the world are mocking Trump | Business Insider
- Manny Pacquiao to fight Britain's Amir Khan on April 23 | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- 'How much are you going to buy?... | Business Insider
- We looked inside the $100,000 gift bag Oscar nominees take home, and it's beyond... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek