Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: October 13 | ZeroHedge
- Calm Before the Storm? | Financial Sense
- The "1%" Own Half The World's Assets: The Stunning Chart | ZeroHedge
- VIX Drops For 10th Day In A Row, Breaks Significant Technical Support | ZeroHedge
- Market Expectations Of A Stock Market Crash Have Never Been Higher | ZeroHedge
- Pentagon Will Pay "Condolence" Blood Money To Afghan Hospital Bombing Victims | ZeroHedge
- Protests Erupt In Turkey As Government Accused Of False Flag In Weekend Suicide Blast | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A viewers' guide to the first Democratic debate of... | Business Insider
- Amid Russian airstrikes, a Putin craze takes hold in... | Business Insider
- Nielsen's top programs for Oct 5-11 | Business Insider
- Running couple says 'I do' at mile 8 of Chicago... | Business Insider
- Ex-girlfriend testifies against man accused of 3 murders | Business Insider
- Transients charged with killing tourist, hiker in... | Business Insider
- The Latest: Czech watchdog condemns asylum conditions | Business Insider