Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Doing Channel Checks Into El Pollo Loco | iBankCoin.com
- Robo-Advisors vs Online Brokers vs RIAs – Which is Best? | FundMyMutualFund
- Is Hong Kong-US Dollar Link About To End? HKMA Buys $715 Million To Support Peg | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Industrial Production Collapses At Fastest Rate Since 2011 Tsunami | ZeroHedge
- Liberia Finance Ministry Scrambles To "Instil Confidence" After Employee Dies From Ebola | ZeroHedge
- Pending Home Sales Tumble From Recovery Highs, Biggest Miss In 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Banco Espirito Santo Plunges: Shareholder Meeting Cancelled Due To "Unexpected Facts" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Video Startup Coub Raises $2.5 Million From The Cofounders Of Russia's Facebook | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Investors' Tendency To Take The Fed's Predictions Literally Is Bringing... | Business Insider
- EL POLLO LOCO CLOSES UP 43% (LOCO, CMG) | Business Insider
- 21% Of Americans Spend More On Their Cell Phones Than On Groceries | Business Insider
- 4 Hot Stocks to Trade (or Not) | TheStreet.com
- The 17 Fastest Ways To Get Ahead In Your Career | Business Insider