Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Twitter Threatens Trump Ban Over "Harassment And Hateful Conduct" | ZeroHedge
- Kellogg’s Pulls Ads From Breitbart for ‘Not Aligning’ With Their Values; Amnesty Intl Accuses Them of Child Labor Violations | ZeroHedge
- Payrolls Rise 178K As Unemployment Rate Tumbles To 4.6% But Average Hourly Earnings Worst Since 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Mortgage Refinancings Collapse To 2016 Lows As Rates Top 4.00% | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Strength Warrants Caution On U.S. Equities | Financial Sense
- “Otto” Self-Driving Truck Test on Ohio Roads This Week | Financial Sense
- Wells Fargo General Counsel Postpones Retirement "In Light Of Recent Events" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Texas is the latest state to require abortion providers to bury fetal... | Business Insider
- Here's what causes freezer... | Business Insider
- The US Navy is trying a new app to help prevent sexual... | Business Insider
- How to invest in 'curing' cancer | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Black Friday is dead | Business Insider