Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- I’ve Seen the Future. I’ve Seen the Future | iBankCoin.com
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in October | Financial Sense
- Credit Markets Signaling Near-Term Caution | Financial Sense
- Still Lower Prices Ahead For Oil? | Financial Sense
- Politics is Economics in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Asian Gold Traders Suspicious Of Recent "Turbo Steroid Moves" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Jumps Above $1200 on China Rate Cut; Draghi Vows “More Inflation” | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- An Almost Unbeatable Magnus Carlsen... | Business Insider
- Microsoft: Compared To Apple And Yahoo, We Are NOT Overpaying Our New CEO (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Arsenal, Man United in Premier League duel to stay in... | Business Insider
- German finance minister wants EU to have budget veto... | Business Insider
- PayPal Cofounder Peter Thiel Loves This Job Interview Question | Business Insider
- Strong Japan quake leaves 39 injured, hits popular ski... | Business Insider