Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- There Is One 'Small' Problem With The Crowdfunded Greek Bailout Campaign | ZeroHedge
- US Economy About to Get Hit by Largest Generation in History | Financial Sense
- The More They Stay The Same | ZeroHedge
- While We Go To Hell, I’m Buying Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- Did The BIS Already "Accidentally" Kick Greece Out Of The Eurozone? | ZeroHedge
- Greece Shows Importance of Gold as Europeans Buy Coins and Bars | ZeroHedge
- How To Cover Your Ass: The Greek Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Deutsche Bank: A Grexit isn't as big of a deal for the... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Robert Redford sees 'last chance' to fix climate | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- I joined the 1 million adults who attend 'summer camp for grown-ups' – it's a... | Business Insider
- Here's what's really happening to your skin when you get a tattoo... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider