Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Germany Could Upset Europe Before UK Referendum | Financial Sense
- Democrat "Gun Control" Sit-In Continues Into Its Second Day On House Floor | ZeroHedge
- World's Largest Hedge Fund Stumbles: Bridgewater Pure Alpha Loses Over 6% In June; Down 14% YTD | ZeroHedge
- Fed's National Activity Index Plunges In May | ZeroHedge
- Brexit: What to Expect After the EU-UK Membership Vote | Financial Sense
- Should Europe Implement Universal Basic Income? | Financial Sense
- "I've Never Felt So Resigned To The Fact That We Are All Stuck..." | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 qualities in women that men find attractive, according to science | Business Insider
- This chart shows the massive size and scope of America's drone fleet | Business Insider
- Morgan Stanley has denied it is starting to move 2,000... | Business Insider
- Milwaukee Bucks make stunning move, draft prospect who may be older than he says he is... | Business Insider
- OBAMA: Supreme Court deadlock on immigration is 'heartbreaking' to millions of... | Business Insider
- Heat waves in New York City could cause thousands of deaths by... | Business Insider
- Justice Alito spent 50 pages railing against affirmative action in college admissions —... | Business Insider