Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Does the AIIB Signify the End of the American Century? | Financial Sense
- This Is China's Short Selling Announcement Which Sent Chinese Futures Plunging | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Apr 17, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Markets Retreat on Increased Risk of Greek Default | Financial Sense
- BofA "Explains" Why Optimistic Economist Forecasts Have Been So Wrong In The Past 5 Years | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Slammed - Dow Tumbles 350 Points Into Red Year-To-Date | ZeroHedge
- U.S. And Global Property Bubble Fears Mount | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A bond trader who lost $1 billion recently resigned from the firm Ben Bernanke just... | Business Insider
- Dozens of migrants 'missing in new Mediterranean... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- George Lucas has not seen the new 'Star Wars' trailer | Business Insider
- Warner Bros. releases the full official 'Batman V Superman' teaser trailer | Business Insider
- How our diets have changed in the last 22 years | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com