Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Difference Between Nominal And Real, In One Chart Courtesy Of Japan | ZeroHedge
- "We'll Become ISIS" - The Devaluation Of America's Young Men | ZeroHedge
- Why Europe's Doomsayers Are Right, In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Germany Fights on Two Fronts to Preserve the Eurozone | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: September 29 | ZeroHedge
- The Counter-Intuitive Rise of the U.S. Dollar | Financial Sense
- Five Stocks Cooking Well Today | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why The Selloff Might Be Different This Time (SPY) | Business Insider
- Find Out How Much Money Your Doctor Took From Drug Companies | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Fasting Modi meets Obama at White House | Business Insider
- Catalyst Pharma Closer to Unconscionable Price Hike for Rare-Disease Drug | TheStreet.com
- George Zimmerman's Family Has Adopted CIA-Like Protocols To Stay In... | Business Insider
- Jeff Goldblum Strips To His Undies In Hilarious... | Business Insider