Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don’t Fall Asleep on Natty | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap May 23, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- "Terminal State Of Broken" | ZeroHedge
- Stunned Stocks Slide On Soaring Volume; Worst Swing Day In 5 Weeks | ZeroHedge
- The Dire State of the Platinum-Palladium Miners | ZeroHedge
- FOMC Minutes: This Is What It Sounds Like When Doves Cry, And When Others Start To See An Asset Bubble | ZeroHedge
- Deleveraging, Releveraging And Finding The New Saturation Point | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's The Protester Who Heckled Obama In The Middle Of His Big... | Business Insider
- Kellie Pickler Wins 'Dancing With The Stars' — Here's Today... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: New Home Sales Surge;... | StreetInsider.com
- LeBron James Makes A Buzzer-Beater To Stun The Pacers In Overtime | Business Insider
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Ellen DeGeneres And Portia De Rossi Bought A Stunning... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Bernanke Baffles Markets; Tesla Off... | StreetInsider.com
- Photos Of The New Nokia Lumia 928 (NOK, MSFT) | Business Insider