Covered Call Picks (ALXA,JAG,FSLR,VXX,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||0.58||1||0.1||17.20%||May-12|
|JAG||Jaguar Mining Inc||3.36||4||0.4||10.40%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||23||23||2.2||9.80%||May-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||18||18||1.7||9.60%||May-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||45.4||46||4.1||9.00%||May-12|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $0.58. Its 52 week range is between $0.46 and $1.91.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $3.36. Its 52 week range is between $3.32 and $8.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $145.16.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $17.99. Its 52 week range is $15.57 and $59.18.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $45.37. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 40% Of Existing Home Sales At Or Above Asking Price, Highest On NAR Record | ZeroHedge
- Tick Tock, The Greek Time Bomb Is About To Go Off | ZeroHedge
- Top Ranked Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- Zappos CEO Pushes "100% Weird" Boss-less Model After Employee Exodus | ZeroHedge
- Sudden Selling Panic Sends Stocks Reeling On Dollar's Best Week Since Lehman | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- David Cameron's New Thought Police | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mourinho wants champs Chelsea to finish on a high | Business Insider
- Illegally leaked 'Supergirl' pilot is expected to reach 250,000 downloads in... | Business Insider
- This incredible map lets New Yorkers see vintage photos of their street corners | Business Insider
- There was a big spike in banks repossessing foreclosed homes in April | Business Insider
- The most accurate Apple analyst in the world thinks a new iPhone is coming in... | Business Insider
- Ireland votes in historic referendum on gay marriage | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider