Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- RATES ARE GOING TO 0%, YAH | iBankCoin.com
- Strong Dollar Undermines Precious Metals | Financial Sense
- Why the Debate Over U.S. LNG Exports Has Been Won | Financial Sense
- The NYSE Would Like You To Know All Is Well As BABA Looms | ZeroHedge
- Quantitative Proof The Fed Is Destroying The Middle Class | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Friday | iBankCoin.com
- FX Markets In Turmoil On Scottish Vote & Japan Economic Downgrade | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Italy celebrates 80 years of national treasure Sophia... | Business Insider
- Western militaries scramble to aid Ebola-hit west Africa | Business Insider
- 6 Of The Most Fascinating Stories From The CIA’s Huge Archive Of Now-Declassified Files | Business Insider
- Yelp's 2014 a Sorry Follow Up to '13, But Analysts Optimistic | TheStreet.com
- Albania tightens security ahead of pope visit | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 9/... | StreetInsider.com