Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dr. Lisa Bardack’s Faustian Bargain | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo Slammed With $2.6 Billion Lawsuit By Terminated Workers | ZeroHedge
- The Old Wall Street Trader Is Dead, Algo’s Now Rule the Day | Financial Sense
- Loss of FBI Reputation Irredeemable: James Comey Will Resign | ZeroHedge
- US Government Embraces Self-Driving Vehicles: “Rise of New Technology Is Inevitable” | Financial Sense
- Amazon "Tweaks" Its Hillary Book Stats: Doubles '5-Star' Reviews Overnight | ZeroHedge
- America's 24/7 Circus Maximus | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch the US Navy test out one of its newest ships... | Business Insider
- US: Russia's actions in Syria not counter-terrorism... | Business Insider
- Here are all the terrible things Trump and Cruz said about each other | Business Insider
- Here are the injuries most likely to keep football players out of a big game | Business Insider
- Once hot anonymous app Yik Yak is dying a slow death — here's why | Business Insider
- MESSAGING APPS FOR PUBLISHERS... | Business Insider
- Why you should never use alcohol to help you fall asleep, according to science | Business Insider