Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- HSBC Cancels Pay Freeze After Two Weeks Following "Staff Revolt" | ZeroHedge
- THe DeuTSCHe LoCKeR... | ZeroHedge
- More Bad News For European Banks? ECB Leaks "Firm Support For A Deposit Rate Cut" | ZeroHedge
- How €3.5 Trillion In NIRP Debt Made Europe's Credit Market "Most Vulnerable Since Lehman" | ZeroHedge
- Amid Low Oil Prices, OPEC's Divisions Deepen | Financial Sense
- The Urban Bubble in Commercial Real Estate | Financial Sense
- Here Is The ETF Liquidation That Sent Shockwaves Through The Crude Oil Market | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Women take longer than men to pay off their student loans — here's why... | Business Insider
- JP Morgan says there's a 92% chance of recession within 3 years... | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders unloads on Hillary Clinton over her support from... | Business Insider
- THE PAYMENTS... | Business Insider
- We went to the casual barbecue restaurant The New York Times called the best in the city... | Business Insider
- This could be Trump's biggest weakness in a state... | Business Insider
- Kanye West's new album has a harsh dis of Taylor Swift everyone will talk about... | Business Insider