Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Your Complete Guide To Sunday's French Presidential Elections First Round | ZeroHedge
- Is the US Workforce Nearing Full Recovery? | Financial Sense
- Cheat Or Chump? - You Are Not An Investor | ZeroHedge
- China, India, and Japan Are Very Interested in Sri Lanka – Here’s Why | Financial Sense
- Stock Markets Sit Blithely On A Powerful Time Bomb | ZeroHedge
- Bond Spreads, Yield Curves, and French Elections | Financial Sense
- Goldman: The S&P 500 Is Not Overvalued–Yet | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Terrorism experts: Trump's prediction about the French election... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- What it's like to stay at a remote Icelandic resort where... | Business Insider
- The CEO of a billion-dollar brand says he doesn't hire people with a red-flag... | Business Insider
- 5 little-known ways you can improve your LinkedIn profile | Business Insider
- 5 ways to make your next flight less stressful | Business Insider
- 14 stylish sunglasses women can buy for under $100 | Business Insider