Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STiNKiN BuLLeTS... | ZeroHedge
- MeeT JoHNNY JiHaD... | ZeroHedge
- Seasonal Trends for the Month of March | iBankCoin.com
- Are Weak Earnings Signaling Recession Ahead? | Financial Sense
- World's Largest Container-Shipper Warns Global Trade Is Slowing Down | ZeroHedge
- The Trojan Horse Battle for the Euro | Financial Sense
- Spot The Birth Of High-Frequency Trading | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Warren Buffett fired a huge shot at the private equity business (BRKA... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- There are tantalizing signs of liberal reforms in North... | Business Insider
- Ukraine conflict at 'crossroads' as troop... | Business Insider
- Kevin Garnett had a fantastic reaction to a dancing fan in... | Business Insider