Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Compromised Hedge Funder Joins BOE In Revolving Door Roundtrip | ZeroHedge
- SMOKED | iBankCoin.com
- VIX Crashes To 13 Handle | ZeroHedge
- Are Gold Investors Finally Capitulating? | Financial Sense
- THE Breakdown Of 2015 Is Now A Fact | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: The Moment Diver Discovers $1 Million In Gold From 300-Year-Old Spanish Shipwreck | ZeroHedge
- "Uncontained" Shanghai Shafting Slams Global Stocks & Commodities Silly | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- More people are using Comcast for internet than TV for the first time ever | Business Insider
- The NSA will soon stop examining millions of... | Business Insider
- The Saints cut a player 10 months after giving him a $41 million contract, and the... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 'Shark Tank' investor Kevin O’Leary’s 5 best... | Business Insider
- Brazil's state-run utility just got pulled into... | Business Insider
- US intelligence community report: America's weak response to cyber... | Business Insider