Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- America’s Ballooning Student Debt: Lessons Learned From Chile | Financial Sense
- Is This Why Financial Stocks Are Plunging Again? | ZeroHedge
- Macroeconomics Is The Root Of All Error | ZeroHedge
- China Explained (In 1 Image) | ZeroHedge
- How To Trade Quantitative Tightening, According To Deutsche Bank | ZeroHedge
- Signs to Watch for a Major Peak in Stocks and Impending Bear Market (Update) | Financial Sense
- Dudley Puts the Kibosh on September | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Instagram just made it a lot less annoying to share photos | Business Insider
- Biden to appear on Colbert's 'Late Show' | Business Insider
- Republicans rage at Obama for Mount McKinley name change: Will Washington Monument be... | Business Insider
- Beacons are moving out of the pilot phase and helping retailers and marketers revolutionize... | Business Insider
- Over 23 million defective Takata airbags in US: NHTSA | Business Insider
- Amazon Prime Video now offers something Netflix says it will 'never'... | Business Insider