Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Barry Bannister: Government Making Same Policy Mistakes of the 1930's | Financial Sense
- PREPARE! For the Great Big Silver Run of 2013 is About to Begin | iBankCoin.com
- Fly Sell: $YGE | iBankCoin.com
- Silver Halted 4 Times Overnight Amid Flash Crash | ZeroHedge
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- Oil Market Manipulation Reaches Absurd Levels | ZeroHedge
- The Most Dangerous Country In Europe | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- If The Lakers Want To Keep Dwight... | Business Insider
- The Science Behind How People Chew Their Food | Business Insider
- The Mobile Payment Wars Between eBay, Google, And Square Heat Up Again | Business Insider
- ROBERT SHILLER: Neuroeconomics Will Reshape The Finance System | Business Insider
- Square Stand to Change Payments ... Again | TheStreet.com
- Tumblr Founder On Yahoo Deal: 'F**k Yeah' | Business Insider
- GASPARINO: Steve Cohen May Have... | Business Insider