Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Canadian Oil 'Ghost Town' Is For Sale | ZeroHedge
- USDJPY Plunges Again | ZeroHedge
- July 26-27 – The Fed Will Put Us on Notice for a September 20-21 Rate Hike | Financial Sense
- Even Bank of America Is Losing It: "Bring On The Herikoputa!" | ZeroHedge
- The DNC Summarized (In 1 Simple Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- The Power Of "Nyet" - How One Word Staggered Imperial Washington | ZeroHedge
- Why Social Fragmentation Suits The Powers That Be | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The incredible story of Elon Musk, from getting bullied in school to the most interesting man in... | Business Insider
- Here are the differences between the US's... | Business Insider
- 4 mega-trends that could change the world by 2030 | Business Insider
- A former 'Bachelor' star shares what he thinks is... | Business Insider
- Kanye West to Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Give Jay his check... | Business Insider
- This man's youngest brother killed himself after spending 3 years at one of the... | Business Insider
- 'Equity' is such a good Wall Street movie, you almost forget that all the characters... | Business Insider