Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump's Treasury Secretary Pick Is A Lucky Man... Very Lucky | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reasons Why Another American Civil War Is Possible | ZeroHedge
- Beyond Income Inequality | ZeroHedge
- State Senator Slams Soros, Proposes Bill To Charge Protesters As "Economic Terrorists" | ZeroHedge
- China Curbs Gold Imports To Slow Capital Flight | ZeroHedge
- Stagnation and the OECD's Solution | Financial Sense
- OPEC Deal Sends Crude Curve Into Backwardation For First Time Since 2014 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Zenefits' free software business model has been declared '... | Business Insider
- The NFL is betting big on virtual reality -- find out more at IGNITION | Business Insider
- Photo from the day before the election shows just how sure Democrats were Clinton... | Business Insider
- Paris could be getting a floating gym with a view | Business Insider
- EUROPOL: Terror attacks are likely to happen in Europe in... | Business Insider
- California manhunt ends after 7-hour standoff as police... | Business Insider
- Allergan CEO: 'I worry today that pharma has a false sense of relief or... | Business Insider