Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- One Last Look At The Real Economy Before It Implodes - Part 6: Solutions | ZeroHedge
- Luck and the Paradox of Skill | Financial Sense
- A MeSSaGe To ALL GReeKS... | ZeroHedge
- When Your Banana-Guy Starts Trading Stocks, You Know It's Over | ZeroHedge
- The Fate of The Tech Bubble Is In The Hands Of Just One Company | ZeroHedge
- Nasdaq Traders (Summarized In 17 Seconds) | ZeroHedge
- China Could Face "Sharp" Rise In Capital Outflows If Stocks, Economy Lose Momentum | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Holders Sevilla through to Europa League semis | Business Insider
- The co-founder of Uber has a new app with a waitlist that's 80,000 people long | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- There's a 'checkmate' for any woman's career on Wall Street | Business Insider
- Beleaguered ad-tech company Rocket Fuel announces more than 100 layoffs as it seeks to reduce costs... | Business Insider
- ELON MUSK: I think we’ve got a decent shot of sending a person to Mars in 11 or 12... | Business Insider
- A developer who was invited inside Apple's secret Watch lab explains what it... | Business Insider