Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dollar Bulls Regain Upper Hand | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Dec 18, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- U.S. vs. Global Shock | Financial Sense
- This Factor Could Propel Gold Mining Stocks Much Higher In 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Gets A Merry Christmas Main Street Gets Keynesian Coal | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: No Hyperinflation, Years of Low Oil Prices, and a Bubble in Stocks | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Real Madrid win Club World Cup | Business Insider
- 25 Gifts Under $25 For Your Holiday Party Host | Business Insider
- With Increased Dividend, Is Samsung the New Apple for Investors? | TheStreet.com
- JPMorgan Is Wall Street Analysts' Favorite Bank Stock for 2015 | TheStreet.com
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- 15 Gifts The Modern Lady Actually Wants This Year | Business Insider
- How NASA ‘Emailed’ A Wrench Into Space | Business Insider