Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Buy the VIX and Sell Equities into June Rate Hikes (Video) | ZeroHedge
- A Few Questions To Those Who Slam Gold | ZeroHedge
- Market Bubbles | Financial Sense
- China Warns The World: America Is The "Greatest Threat To Peace & Stability" | ZeroHedge
- The Task Confronting Libertarians | ZeroHedge
- Explaining Bernie-Conomics Using Two Beers | ZeroHedge
- End of Debt Supercycle Means Low Rates for Years to Come | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The biggest problem in the bond market explained with the help of fried chicken | Business Insider
- The most over-the-top tech billionaire vacation homes | Business Insider
- Scientifically proven ways to make someone fall in love with you | Business Insider
- A Hong Kong watchdog revealed millions in... | Business Insider
- Saudi Arabia is 'backing away from OPEC' | Business Insider
- J. Crew trained customers to want one thing — and now it's killing business | Business Insider
- I tried Pantelligent, the smart frying pan that’s essential to any new cook | Business Insider