Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- On The Origin Of Crashes & Clustering Of Large Losses | ZeroHedge
- Stop Smokin The Import Crack… | ZeroHedge
- Tech Bellwether IBM Sees Big Earnings Miss | Financial Sense
- Sweden Deploys Army, Air Force, Navy Near Stockholm Over Reported Damaged Russian Sub; Moscow Denies | ZeroHedge
- Houston, We Have A "Fracking" Problem | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Continue to Define Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Why The Argentinean Situation Should Make You Buy Gold | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China growth seen at five-year low in Q3: AFP survey | Business Insider
- If You're Going To Buy A New iPhone Or iPad, Get Ready To Pay At Least $100 Extra (AAPL) | Business Insider
- 10 Things Every Man Should Add To His Wardrobe After College | Business Insider
- How To Watch This Week's Exceptionally Stunning Orionid Meteor Shower | Business Insider
- Tesla's Tune-up: Legal Brawls, Delivering the Model X and Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Welcome To Lanai, Oracle Billionaire Larry Ellison's $300 Million... | Business Insider
- Nepal rescuers find 34 more trekkers, 12 bodies... | Business Insider