Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Black Swan 2: This Is "The Next Critical Chapter In The Austrian Banking System Story" | ZeroHedge
- Why Is Russia Building Massive Underground Bomb Shelters? | ZeroHedge
- The US-Iran "Misunderstanding" | ZeroHedge
- Government Secrecy At All-Time High | ZeroHedge
- Police Gas Student Protesters In Quebec | ZeroHedge
- The Tried-and-True Blueprint for Raising Taxes | Financial Sense
- Are We In A Biotech Bubble? You Decide | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Germanwings co-pilot reportedly received... | Business Insider
- 'The Walking Dead' spinoff will be called '... | Business Insider
- MAP: Why oil prices spike when there's fighting in the Gulf states | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Dramatic images of the massive fire and building... | Business Insider
- Obama may be on the cusp of his 'legacy-setting' foreign policy achievement | Business Insider