Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CDC Confirms First Ebola Case Diagnosed In The US | ZeroHedge
- THE DESTRUCTION OF THE COMMODITY MARKET IS AT HAND | iBankCoin.com
- Germany Fights on Two Fronts to Preserve the Eurozone | Financial Sense
- Paypal is to be Spun Off | iBankCoin.com
- Clinkle is the New Color | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Plunges, Biggest Miss Since Jan 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Is the Stock Market Top In? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What, Me Worry? 4 Reasons Why We're Not at a Market Top Yet | TheStreet.com
- Europe captain McGinley tops hero Watson | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Read Robert Downey Jr.'s Incredible Tribute To His Late Mother | Business Insider
- UKIP Is Forcing David Cameron Into A Referendum On... | Business Insider
- Why The Guy Behind The Most Popular Smartwatch In The World Isn't Scared Of... | Business Insider
- Everything You Need To Know About Windows 9, Microsoft's Next Major Software Release... | Business Insider