Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ‘Titanic’ Global Economy May “Collapse” Warn HSBC - Gold Is Lifeboat | ZeroHedge
- GDP Seasonal Adjustment: There’s No Smoking Gun | Financial Sense
- Illiquid Markets Turmoil After Hotter-Than-Expected Inflation Print | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Unprecedented 'Mass Die Offs' As Pacific Ocean "Turning Into a Desert" Off California Coast | ZeroHedge
- Shake Shocker: Each SHAK "Restaurant" Is Now Worth $53 Million | ZeroHedge
- This Is How The Clowns At The DEA Screen For Drug Dealers On Amtrak | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Unmoved By Oil Rig Count Decline Of Just 1 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Celebs are going crazy for this new health treatment that sounds like torture, and scientists say it... | Business Insider
- Walt Disney's original plan for the place George Clooney's '... | Business Insider
- Formula 1 driver signs $155 million contract that will make him one of the... | Business Insider
- Honda's incredible new private jet took 30 years to develop and... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Higher wages are here and there's nothing corporate America can do to stop it (ROST) | Business Insider
- England 389 all out against New Zealand | Business Insider