Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed's Mission Accomplished | ZeroHedge
- An Interview With Ambrose Evans-Pritchard | ZeroHedge
- Signs Pointing Higher | iBankCoin.com
- The Status Quo's Model Of "How The World Works" Is Broken | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 26 | ZeroHedge
- Ron Paul On Ferguson: The War Comes Home | ZeroHedge
- The 'Sunni Turn' Against The 'Shiite Crescent': How The Strategic Stupidity Of Washington (And Its Allies) Created ISIS | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- The 13 Best GIFs From The Emmy Awards | Business Insider
- The Only 8 Features Facebook Had When It Launched In 2004 | Business Insider
- Square Is Raising $200 Million At A $6 Billion Valuation | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Dicker: Prepare for an Oil Super Spike to $150 | TheStreet.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com