Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- The Fall Is Golden For Bullion Bulls | ZeroHedge
- Saudi King Warns ISIS "Will Reach Europe In One Month, US In Two" | ZeroHedge
- SKiLLeD LaBoR... | ZeroHedge
- Who Said It? Chairman Mao Or President Obama | ZeroHedge
- Inflation | ZeroHedge
- Scotland Is Building the World’s Largest Tidal Array | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What 21 Actors Were Like In High School | Business Insider
- Greece close to emerging from recession | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- China Official Manufacturing PMI Misses Expectations (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT) | Business Insider
- U.S. Stocks on Track to Head Into Labor Day Weekend With Gains | TheStreet.com
- New iOS 8 Apps Will Work 'Like Magic,' Software Tester Says (AAPL) | Business Insider
- This Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone No One Is... | Business Insider