Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Trolls Obama, Says "Routine" Mass Shootings Expose Failure Of U.S. Politics | ZeroHedge
- Physical Cash Poses a HUGE Problem For Central Banks | ZeroHedge
- Manifesto - The Values of Value Investing | ZeroHedge
- Russia Claims ISIS Now On The Ropes As Fighters Desert After 60 Airstrikes In 72 Hours | ZeroHedge
- All Bad at 0%? | Financial Sense
- Policymakers' Intentions are More Critical Drivers than Macroeconomics in Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- More Pain For Biotechs Ahead: Valeant's "Astronomical" Price Increases Take Center Stage; Pfizer Gets Dragged In | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's why I left 'The Martian' with a terrible sinking feeling | Business Insider
- Here are the secret apps that only Apple employees get to use (AAPL... | Business Insider
- Tip of the iceberg: No end in sight to migrant wave | Business Insider
- Here's why Rosetta's comet looks like a duck | Business Insider
- Netanyahu: Israel 'in fight to death against... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Market history is calling, and it's saying stock performance will be crappy for another ~... | Business Insider