Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- America - Good, Bad Or Ugly? Part 1: The Bad | ZeroHedge
- Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Worse For Brazil... | ZeroHedge
- Heresy! China Won't Stick To IMF, World Bank Lending "Religion" With AIIB | ZeroHedge
- China's "Historic" 70th Victory Day Parade: Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Exposing The Lie Behind The "Strong Jobs Recovery" In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- The Value Of "Experts" | ZeroHedge
- Hyperinflation Cannot Be Prevented By Debt/Deflation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Gunmen kidnap at least 17 Turks in Iraq capital | Business Insider
- Zayat: American Pharoah's future to be announced soon | Business Insider
- Here's 5 things Derek Waters has learned from... | Business Insider
- Texas police are scrambling to order more body cameras after deputies shoot a man who... | Business Insider
- A 'cheating' husband reveals what it feels like... | Business Insider
- 'Concussion' director says no compromises were... | Business Insider
- A bold move to save a man's hand: Tucking it into his... | Business Insider