Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Everything's Out" - San Francisco Blackout Shuts Down BART, Traffic Lights, Business Across Downtown | ZeroHedge
- The Last Time This Happened, The Market Crashed | ZeroHedge
- Is the US Workforce Nearing Full Recovery? | Financial Sense
- WTF Just Happened? | ZeroHedge
- 'Soft' Data Bloodbath - Manufacturing/Services PMI Plunge Below Trump Election Lows | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Jump As Trump Promises Plan For "Biggest Tax Cut Ever" Next Week (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Paul Tudor Jones Has A Message For Janet Yellen: "Be Terrified" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lebanese prime minister asks UN to... | Business Insider
- 3 Seattle officers shot in a gunfight after a robbery, 1 suspect... | Business Insider
- Marines can grab drones right out of the sky with this innovative... | Business Insider
- Der Spiegel's latest cover features Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un... | Business Insider
- 100 songs everyone should listen to in their lifetime | Business Insider
- LeBron James sucked the life out of the Pacers with an all-time dominant... | Business Insider
- 5 tips for writing an email that gets an answer and doesn't annoy anyone | Business Insider