Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- FOMC on deck, CPI in focus | ZeroHedge
- Bob Janjuah: Forget Rate Hikes, "We May Well Need QE4 From The Fed" | ZeroHedge
- RUSSIA HAS COLLAPSED | iBankCoin.com
- The Russia, Mexico & OPEC Failed Agreement on Production Cuts was Short Sighted | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan Warns, Don't Expect Recent Market Volatility To Alter Fed Tightening Path | ZeroHedge
- Gold Imports ‘Phenomenal’ In India - 571 Percent Surge To 150 Tonnes in November | ZeroHedge
- Michael Lewis: "8 Things I Wish For Wall Street" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US oil prices stabilize but Brent oil falls again | Business Insider
- Judd Apatow Calls 'The Interview' Theater Cancellation... | Business Insider
- Robben shines as Bayern extend lead to 12 points | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- 13 Gifts Any Golfer Would Love | Business Insider
- What Are Traders Chatting About Right Now? Stress In The FX Markets... (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ... | Business Insider
- Japan trade deficit shrinks 31.5% on-year in November | Business Insider