Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama's America? | ZeroHedge
- Amazon To Issue Student Loans To New "Prime" Shoppers | ZeroHedge
- Stocks' Streak Of New Highs Hits Rarefied Air - What Happens Next? | ZeroHedge
- S&P Warns of Rising Global Default Wave | Financial Sense
- How To Actually Make America Great Again | ZeroHedge
- Trump Sparks "Wave Of Alarm" Across Europe After Warning US May Not Help NATO Members | ZeroHedge
- What One Million Recently Fired Chinese Coal And Steel Workers Are Doing Now | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Actor Michael Caine legally changes name at 83, blames ISIS | Business Insider
- Minnesota United FC make awesome video spoofing their goalie after his horrific... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- SCHLUMBERGER: The worst is over for oil (SLB, HAL, WTI, OIL, USO,... | Business Insider
- I work in public health and still eat raw cookie dough — here’s why I’m... | Business Insider
- The Valley's most secretive startup, Palantir, booked $1.7 billion in revenue in... | Business Insider
- North Korea is acting up, and it has its eye on all of... | Business Insider