Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Scotland Is Building the World’s Largest Tidal Array | Financial Sense
- NATO Releases Satellite Imagery "Proof" That Russia Has Invaded Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- This Has Never Happened Before | ZeroHedge
- Small Cap Relative Strength | Financial Sense
- Is It Time to Ignore the Fed? | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Accuses Russia Of Imminent Gas Cut-Off, Russia Denies, Germans Anxious | ZeroHedge
- CBO Thinks Millions Of Americans Aren't Going To Sign Up For Obamacare | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Brand-gelina' gets another plug as supercouple... | Business Insider
- Time Warner Services Are Coming Back After Massive Outages Affect Entire US | Business Insider
- Startups Need To Ask Themselves, 'Am I A College Or Professional... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Wayne Rooney named England captain | Business Insider
- Obama says 'no strategy yet' as IS executes Syrian... | Business Insider
- Ten-man Arsenal edge through, Napoli blown away by Bilbao... | Business Insider