Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- While Presidential Election Takes Focus, US Economy Slips Further | Financial Sense
- Stocks Are Not Long Term Investment Vehicles (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Largest Dow Component 3M Reports In Line Earnings, Cuts Top End Of Guidance | ZeroHedge
- Case-Shiller Home Prices Rise To 2006 Record Highs | ZeroHedge
- Trump Slams "Voter Suppression", Cites "Oversampling" As Evidence Of Rigged Polls | ZeroHedge
- New Critical Report Accuses Herbalife Of Money Laundering, Involvement In Drug Trade | ZeroHedge
- Is China About to Go “Scorched Earth” on the US Dollar? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Junk-rated Chicago school system seeks $1 billion bond... | Business Insider
- The AT&T-Time Warner deal sounds a lot like the Comcast-NBC merger, and it... | Business Insider
- The 3 plays in sports everybody will be talking about today | Business Insider
- Why MTV's president is stepping down after only a year | Business Insider
- Here are the 8 most reliable car brands in America, according to Consumer Reports | Business Insider
- The new Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus camera is... | Business Insider
- These are the 20 best-selling business books of 2016 so far | Business Insider