Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 214 Years Of Sovereign Defaults In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- It…Was a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood | iBankCoin.com
- Fed Exit a Blue Pill? | Financial Sense
- A-D Line Divergence Again | Financial Sense
- Deal Or No Deal? Argentina Declared In Selective Default, Holds Press Conference - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Six Current Economic Myths And Realities | ZeroHedge
- Another Cliffhanger | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Bank Of America Is The Most Complained-About Bank In The US | Business Insider
- Scientists Just Figured Out How The Oldest Things On Earth Formed | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- HOUSE VOTES TO SUE OBAMA | Business Insider
- Why It Matters That Airbus Said 'No' To A $1.7-Billion A380 Order In Japan... | Business Insider
- Person Writes The Washington Post A Genius Letter Defending Fred Flinstone's... | Business Insider