Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Stocks Drop 3rd Day In A Row On Margin Crackdown As Yuan Tumbles To Record Discount Versus Fix | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Message, Simplified: Shortest FOMC Statement Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- "There Is No Reality Anymore..." | ZeroHedge
- On Money and Society: An Exclusive Interview With Steve Baker MP | Financial Sense
- Fed-nado Crushes Stocks And Crude; Long Yields Hit Record Low | ZeroHedge
- CME Hikes Silver Margins By 11% | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Danmarks Nationalbank Cuts Rates AGAIN | Business Insider
- Robbers Stole Wells Fargo's Historic Gold... | Business Insider
- Greek government to hold first talks with EU leaders | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Shell announces profit fall on sliding oil prices | Business Insider
- Greek government set for first talks with eurozone... | Business Insider
- Stocks Nudge Higher as Energy Sector Bounces Back From Lows | TheStreet.com