Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Third Bailout Generates New Political Division in Greece | Financial Sense
- 7 'Saves' In 7 Months: A Market Going Nowhere Fast | ZeroHedge
- The Coming Credibility Hammer | ZeroHedge
- Blankfein Warns Of "Jarring" Jolt From Fed Rate Hike | ZeroHedge
- ETF Trading Volume Eclipses US GDP | ZeroHedge
- Action Still Found in iPOs | iBankCoin.com
- Was Kyle Bass Wrong About Japan? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- South Korea's Chung joins FIFA race, slams... | Business Insider
- Facebook’s first intern just landed $50 million from Peter Thiel and other... | Business Insider
- The death of the unicorns: How the interest rate... | Business Insider
- Investigators scramble to analyse wreckage for MH370 link... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Tigres held by River in Copa Libertadores stalemate | Business Insider
- REVIEW: You're going to love Windows 10 | Business Insider