Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is the Smart Money Running for Cover? | Financial Sense
- Argentina’s Growing Dependency on Beijing | Financial Sense
- Economic Hope Crashes By Most Since 2013 Government Shutdown | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in April | Financial Sense
- When Europe Gets Greece’s Jingle Mail: Dealing With Default | Financial Sense
- California Governor Declares State Of Emergency As Santa Barbara Oil Spill Worsens Dramatically | ZeroHedge
- Time to Sell Junk Bonds? Maybe Not | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 16 amazing photos of the most extreme penguins on earth | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (FB, TWTR, GOOG,... | Business Insider
- It looks like Stripe is raising a really big funding round... | Business Insider
- PEER-TO-PEER LENDING... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL, DOLLAR SURGES: Here's what you need to know (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USO, WTI, OIL) | Business Insider
- Here's the fastest growing town in every state | Business Insider
- Governor declares emergency as California cleans oil... | Business Insider