Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart Of The Day: Who Is Buying? | ZeroHedge
- Activity Versus Inactivity | Financial Sense
- The View at 30,000 Feet | Financial Sense
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- White House Admits Russian Hackers Read Obama's Unclassified Emails | ZeroHedge
- Gold, The SDR, & BRICS | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: Mixed Warning Signals, Grid Defection, and the Repricing of US Debt | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why this Google exec would always keeps 200 random resumes lying around his office (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Get ready for a busy week in the economy — Here's your complete preview | Business Insider
- Arsenal aim to redraw lines of Chelsea rivalry | Business Insider
- Violence erupts at Baltimore police death protest | Business Insider
- The top 10 tech company cafeterias | Business Insider
- A great way to look at the tech bubble from a guy that survived the last one | Business Insider
- Look at how similar red-hot Chinese startup Xiaomi... | Business Insider