Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deutsche Bank: "There's No Escaping The Fact That This Is A Class War" | ZeroHedge
- Understanding Brexit: The Powerless Press Their Thumb In The Eye Of The Power Elite | ZeroHedge
- Beijing Is Falling... Literally | ZeroHedge
- US Shale Producers Just Won Their Biggest Legal Case in Years | Financial Sense
- How The Pentagon Is Preparing For A Tank War With Russia | ZeroHedge
- Some Bad And Some Worse News For Stock Buybacks | ZeroHedge
- GoLDMaN STRoNG... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Supreme Court is about to decide its... | Business Insider
- Turkish police used tear gas to break up a Pride march | Business Insider
- THE MOBILE APP-INSTALL AD REPORT: Spending forecasts, performance and price trends, and... | Business Insider
- Gold is flying higher (GLD, GLX) | Business Insider
- This is my new favorite pair of headphones | Business Insider
- The director of 'Drive' tells us what inspired his terrifying new horror movie... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett once proposed a 4th Law of Motion to explain the pitfalls of active management | Business Insider