Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
- Greece Contemplates Nuclear Options: May Print Euros, Launch Parallel Currency, Nationalize Banks | ZeroHedge
- GARGANTUAN STYLED RALLY IS COMING | iBankCoin.com
- Silver Market Change Report 5 July, 2015 | ZeroHedge
- The REAL Reason Greece Matters For Investors | ZeroHedge
- How to Win the Day | Altucher Confidential
- Bitcoin Surges After Initial Forecasts Show "No" Vote Ahead | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It will now cost more to use Netflix and Spotify if you live in Chicago | Business Insider
- Donald Trump just released an epic statement raging against Mexican immigrants... | Business Insider
- 5 books that inspired billionaire CEO Elizabeth Holmes | Business Insider
- US player scores a ridiculous goal from midfield to complete a hat trick in the... | Business Insider
- Eurozone leaders to hold emergency summit on Greece | Business Insider
- ISIS is 'acting like the permanent government' in the... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek