Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Prime Spot for an Amazon Drop | iBankCoin.com
- 100% of Mainstream Interest Rate Theory Is Wrong | Financial Sense
- Market Boosted by Caterpillar (CAT) Earnings | Financial Sense
- Ready to Take Some Lumps, if Need Be | iBankCoin.com
- Market Jumps On Today's Central Bank Verbal Plunge Protection, Courtesy Of Mario Draghi | ZeroHedge
- EXCLUSIVE: Was Ebola Accidentally Released from a Bioweapons Lab In West Africa? | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Shooter opens fire at US school, kills self: report | Business Insider
- Amazon's Plunging Stock Price Could Present a Buying Opportunity | TheStreet.com
- Pfizer Announces Eye-Popping $11 Billion Share Buyback Plan (PFE) | Business Insider
- Harvard Psychologist Says These 8 Principles Will Bring You The Most... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- China launches first mission to moon and back | Business Insider