Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Driverless Cars Poised to Transform Automotive Industry | Financial Sense
- Central Banks Are Paralyzed At The Zero Bound | ZeroHedge
- The Battlefield is Primed for Carnage | iBankCoin.com
- Rig Count Decline Reaches 16 Weeks, Pace Of Decline Drops Dramatically | ZeroHedge
- Futures Wipe Out Early Gains In Volatile Session As Dollar Resumes Climb; Oil Slides | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia and Iran Compete in Yemen | Financial Sense
- AIIB, SDRs, and the Yuan – Latest Developments | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ex-Centrica boss to get a £1.4 million... | Business Insider
- Two astronauts are about to launch on a crazy mission that will change how we... | Business Insider
- Russian Soyuz spacecraft with Russian, US... | Business Insider
- MAP: Why oil prices spike when there's fighting in the Gulf states | Business Insider
- Yahoo adds $2 billion to its share buyback program (YHOO) | Business Insider
- Dramatic images of the massive fire and building... | Business Insider
- Something weird is going on in the US economy, and it's not good | Business Insider