Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Thankful For Inflation? Turkey Day Dinner Is Up 6,000% Since 1909 | ZeroHedge
- Gold Jumps Above $1200 on China Rate Cut; Draghi Vows “More Inflation” | Financial Sense
- Are Low Rates Responsible for High Valuations | Financial Sense
- "We Are A Nation Built On The Rule Of Law" | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Concerned About “Importing” Disinflation | Financial Sense
- Jamie Dimon's Daughter Is Asking You For A Favor | ZeroHedge
- Banking At The Box Office | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's How The Oil Crash Is Affecting Asian Countries | Business Insider
- TheStreet’s 36-Hour Black Friday 2014 Door-Buster Live Blog | TheStreet.com
- Russia's Most Powerful Oil Official Says Oil Could... | Business Insider
- Google Only Has Itself To Blame If Europe Succeeds In Breaking Up The Company (GOOG... | Business Insider
- S&P 500 Set for Six Straight Weeks of Gains as Airlines Fly | TheStreet.com
- How Thanksgiving Took The Place Of An Awesome Military Celebration | Business Insider
- European Markets Are Sliding | Business Insider