Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Steve Jobs Held Billions Of Dollars Offshore. Was He "Unpatriotic"? | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: February 26 | ZeroHedge
- A Secret "Black Site" Revealed In Chicago: "When You Go In, You Just Disappear" | ZeroHedge
- The 'Big' Problem In America (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- How To Trade Oil For HFT Idiots | ZeroHedge
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- Edward Snowden's Libertarian Moment: We "Will Remove From Governments The Ability To Interfere With [Our] Rights" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Atletico duo aim to keep goals flowing in Leverkusen | Business Insider
- HP will spend about $2 billion for its 'unprecedented' separation into... | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (GOOG, AAPL, TSLA) | Business Insider
- Morgan Stanley to pay $2.6 bn to settle mortgage bond... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's foundation broke a deal... | Business Insider
- Why Giancarlo Stanton was actually 'angered' by record $325... | Business Insider
- The best men's haircut for every face shape | Business Insider