Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- This Wasn't Supposed To Happen | ZeroHedge
- Stocks, Bond Yields Drop After Rosengren-IBM-Oil Triple-Whammy | ZeroHedge
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- The Big Skew by Big Blue | iBankCoin.com
- Equity Futures Open Higher, Retrace 50% Of Losses On USDJPY Kneejerk | ZeroHedge
- The Crowded "Long-Dollar" Train Just Got Even More Crowded | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Medical charity accuses US of pushing India to... | Business Insider
- Here's Some Good News On Corporate Earnings | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- 17 Movies To See This Fall | Business Insider
- Cops And Ambulances Respond To Chaotic Scene At A New Hampshire College... | Business Insider
- Why the Oil Glut Is a Big Win for Consumers, Industrial Stocks Like Goodyear, Dow | TheStreet.com
- This Is The Japanese Supercar That Larry Ellison Liked To Give As A Gift... | Business Insider