Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Global Uncertainty With the Upper Hand | Financial Sense
- Guessing Game: China's "Real" GDP Growth Could Be As Low As 3.8% | ZeroHedge
- The Race to Diversify - Too Much Paper, Too Little Gold | Financial Sense
- Our Financial Future: Infinite Greed Meets A Funny Thing Called Karma | ZeroHedge
- US Data and Fed to Drive the Dollar in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Saxobank CIO Explains "The New Nothingness" | ZeroHedge
- A Global Deleveraging Crisis Is at Our Doorstep | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What does the internet 'look' like? 17 pictures that show how people visualize it | Business Insider
- NYPD thanks Swedish cops on vacation for breaking up... | Business Insider
- How Tesco became the world's second-biggest retailer — and why it's... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- 11 best companies to work for | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- US, Japan widen defense ties in historic sea change | Business Insider