Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Financial Times Joins the "Ban Physical Cash" Chorus | ZeroHedge
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
- The Alarming Regularity of 6 and 7-Sigma Events Illustrates Why a Deep Understanding of Banker-Induced Fraud is a Necessity | ZeroHedge
- What Declining Global Reserves Mean For Bond Yields: Goldman's Take | ZeroHedge
- ConocoPhillips Fires 10% Of Global Workforce, Warns Of "Dramatic Downturn" To Oil Industry | ZeroHedge
- Monday Night Charts | iBankCoin.com
- How The US State Department Help Desk Unexpectedly "Discovered" Hillary Clinton's Personal Email | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve 'sin of abortion... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence... | Business Insider
- Putin takes part in hockey game against students in Russia... | Business Insider
- Box Office Top 20: 'Compton' dominates, Efron movie... | Business Insider
- World markets extend losses as China falters again | Business Insider
- Twitter users are voting on Trump versus Kanye West for president — and it... | Business Insider