Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- HFT Firm CEO Seeks Taxpayer Dollars To Save His Hockey Team | ZeroHedge
- The Mortal Kombat Finish Him Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- "It's The Weather, Duh" | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Launches Military Operation Against Separatists, Russian PM Says Country "Anticipating Civil War" | ZeroHedge
- Pensions 'Timebomb' - 85% of Pension Funds Will Go Bust | ZeroHedge
- Let’s See if This Has Legs | iBankCoin.com
- Chinese Yuan (And Copper) Tumbles As Money Supply Growth Plunges To 13-Year Lows | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Startup Founder: Always Listen To Your Gut In These 2 Situations | Business Insider
- Yahoo, Still Stuck In Neutral (YHOO) | Business Insider
- Today Is Bicycle Day — Here Are The World's 20 Best Cities For Cyclists | Business Insider
- Sunday's 'Game Of Thrones' Was The Second-Most Watched Episode... | Business Insider
- Chris Paul Made 2 Denver Nuggets Players Look Silly With Sick Move | Business Insider
- Gold Just Fell Out Of Bed | Business Insider
- Call the Cops: Apple's About to Kill Android | TheStreet.com