Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oscars Preview | ZeroHedge
- POWERFUL GOLD & SILVER COILED SPRINGS: Important Charts You Have To See | ZeroHedge
- Kansas City Fed Survey: February Activity Highest Since 2011 | Financial Sense
- The Problem with Gold-Backed Currencies | Financial Sense
- All Eyes on Upcoming French Elections; Finance Chief: "Le Pen Will Never Be Elected" | Financial Sense
- JPMorgan Explains What Causes The Market's 3:30pm Ramp | ZeroHedge
- Index Investing Unmasked: 96% Of Stocks Are Garbage | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trump and DNC leader Tom Perez trade barbs on '... | Business Insider
- White House: Trump wasn’t elected 'to spend his time... | Business Insider
- Here's who's most likely to win at the 2017 Oscars on Sunday night | Business Insider
- Retired Navy admiral: Russia and China are going against the '... | Business Insider
- We asked college students to sell us their major | Business Insider
- Here's how the F-35 stacks up to Russia and China'... | Business Insider
- China's military is approaching 'near parity' with the West | Business Insider