Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe's Spiralling Game Of Chicken - Politics Always Trumps Economics | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Storm Into The Green (Again) As Greek "Hope" Returns | ZeroHedge
- Europe Revolts: "What Is Happening Now Is A Defeat For Germany" | ZeroHedge
- China Crashes Most Since 2007 Amid "Panic Sentiment"; Over Half Stocks Suspended, PBOC Promises "Liquidity Support" | ZeroHedge
- The First Post-Referendum Head Rolls: "Toxic" "Martyr" Yanis Varoufakis Resigns | ZeroHedge
- It Is NOT Priced-In, Stupid! | ZeroHedge
- Earnings Preview - Second Quarter 2015 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 12 best Easter eggs in 'Batman: Arkham Knight' | Business Insider
- The New York Times has its Vatican reporter using WhatsApp to send short updates to... | Business Insider
- Pamplona bull-run festival kicks off with wine-soaked... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- This one thing about Google Apps for Work should seriously scare... | Business Insider
- How to be interesting (in 12 simple steps) | Business Insider
- Wall Street sounds off as the Chicago trading pits go quiet for the first time in 167 years... | Business Insider