Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Morality and Legality of Debt Jubilee, Part II | ZeroHedge
- Outspooking The Lehman Apocalypse: Could A Russian Default Be In The Cards? | ZeroHedge
- The "Unequivocally 'Not' Good" Reality Of Lower Oil Prices & Jobs | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Prices Plunge Most Since Dec 2008 | ZeroHedge
- This Wasn't Supposed To Happen: 7 In 10 Americans To Save, Spend Gas "Tax Cut" On Bills Not Gifts | ZeroHedge
- Acquired StockTrader.com – Moving in the Spring! | FundMyMutualFund
- JPMorgan Warns, Don't Expect Recent Market Volatility To Alter Fed Tightening Path | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Will Be The 12 Biggest Movies Of 2015 | Business Insider
- Even Russia's Biggest Trading Partners Don't Have That Much Exposure To... | Business Insider
- Boko Haram kidnaps at least 185 people in Nigeria | Business Insider
- UPDATE:... | StreetInsider.com
- Russians Are Now Panic-Buying As Many American Dollars As They Can | Business Insider
- Garbage Collectors Share The Most Bizarre Things They’ve Ever Found On The Job... | Business Insider
- Pakistan to end death penalty moratorium in... | Business Insider