Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold to “double in price and surpass its inflation-adjusted high of $2,500 per ounce in the next 3 to 5 years” | ZeroHedge
- Southeast Asia’s High Speed Rail Network | Financial Sense
- China’s New Infrastructure Bank Wins Grudging Assent From the US and Japan | Financial Sense
- The Rate Hike Ship Has Sailed: Goldman Sees "Higher Probability Of Liftoff Not In 2016 But In 2017" | ZeroHedge
- There Will Be Blood - Part II | ZeroHedge
- Is The Stock Market Gearing Up For A New October Crash? | ZeroHedge
- Why Year 3 of the Presidential Cycle Hasn't Gone the Way Everyone Expected | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan to run for US Senate | Business Insider
- Employees of FanDuel and... | Business Insider
- If you think Apple is a cult, you haven't been to a Tesla event | Business Insider
- FIFA head hopeful accuses Blatter of smear | Business Insider
- Red Hat's CFO shares his best financial advice for first-time... | Business Insider
- Tech deals have now surpassed the peak of the 2000 dot-com bubble | Business Insider
- Houston headed to playoffs despite 5-3 loss to Arizona | Business Insider