Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Higher Inflation Expectations May Start With Breakfast | Financial Sense
- A Virtual Conversation With Edward Snowden - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Fukushima Radiation To Reach West Coast Next Month | ZeroHedge
- Runner Screen | iBankCoin.com
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Seth Klarman On "Born Bulls", Bitcoin, & "The Truman Show" Market | ZeroHedge
- 20 Stunning Facts On The US Retail Apocalypse | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Fascinating Observation About Bubbles And The Fools Who Trade Them | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER:... | Business Insider
- AOL Has Deleted The Amazing Photo Of Its Digital Prophet Swinging From A Wrecking Ball | Business Insider
- SETH KLARMAN: This Is A 'Truman Show' Market Where Nothing Is Real | Business Insider
- Global Stock Markets Are A Sea Of Red | Business Insider
- Liam Neeson And Obama Send A Message To Putin In 'SNL' Cold... | Business Insider
- Netflix Revenues Are Closing In... | Business Insider