Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Monte Paschi Fails European "Stress Test" Meant To Restore Confidence In Europe's Struggling Banks | ZeroHedge
- Merkel Ignores Nation's "Anxiety & Fear"; No Change To Open-Door Migration Policy | ZeroHedge
- The DNC Summarized (In 1 Simple Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- Should Investors Fear China’s Anti-American Protests? | Financial Sense
- Did The DNC Hire Actors (At Below Minimum Wage) To Work At The Convention? | ZeroHedge
- The Non-Consumer Economy Is Now In A Recession, Just As Spending Is Set For A "Sharp Pullback" | ZeroHedge
- USDJPY Plunges Back To Post-BoJ Lows, Gold Jumps After GDP | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 12 Taco Bell menu items you can't find in America | Business Insider
- The US military is returning a huge parcel of land back to Japan | Business Insider
- 25 of the most luxurious vacation rentals around the world | Business Insider
- There are many different types of entry-level jobs in finance —... | Business Insider
- The 12 worst money habits and how to break them | Business Insider
- Disney's Maker Studios — home to PewDiePie — is laying off 'about 30' staff... | Business Insider
- Here are 10 jobs that pay way less than they used to | Business Insider