Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don Coxe: Raise Cash, Hold Gold | Financial Sense
- America’s 50-Pound Ball and Chain | Financial Sense
- Who Said It? "I Am Very Troubled By Stories Of [A Rigged Election]... Entire Country Ought To Take It Seriously" | ZeroHedge
- Hillary's Source At The State Department Revealed In Leaked Podesta Email | ZeroHedge
- Leaked Podesta Email Reveals Why Larry Summers Did Not Become Obama's Treasury Secretary | ZeroHedge
- The United States Of Refugees | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks Releases Part 15 Of The Podesta Files, Bringing Total To 26,095 Emails | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A US warship was shadowed by three Chinese vessels during a... | Business Insider
- Qualcomm is reportedly nearing a massive deal to buy NXP Semiconductors (... | Business Insider
- The New York Times editorial board gave the for-profit... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- 'Mr. Trump, would my son have a place in your... | Business Insider
- Video of Donald Trump trying to vote alongside Billy Bush in 2004 shows... | Business Insider
- Go inside the swanky new lounge from the team behind the 'best bar in... | Business Insider