Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 21st Century - Reality Vs. Storyline | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: Eurozone Output PMI and GDP | Financial Sense
- Dollar Outlook | ZeroHedge
- Name That Chart | iBankCoin.com
- Will the “Least Loved” Bull throw a “Taper Tantrum?” | Financial Sense
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- Ex Greek FinMin Warns "Europe's North-South Divide Has Become A Time Bomb" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yes, We Should Extend Unemployment Benefits — Here's Why... | Business Insider
- Veteran DC Police Officer Being... | Business Insider
- The Best Way To Cope With Hamid... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The Ravens And Vikings Score 4 TDs In The Final 90 Seconds In The Craziest NFL Ending Of The... | Business Insider
- This 30MPG Jeep Could Have Been the Tesla SUV Almost | TheStreet.com
- 'Mad Money' Lightning Round: Facebook Has More Upside | TheStreet.com