Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is This China's QE? | ZeroHedge
- Let the Allocation Commence | iBankCoin.com
- China Raids Multiple Microsoft Offices, Media Demands "Severe Punishment" | ZeroHedge
- 85 Super Wealthy People Have More Money Than The Poorest 3.5 Billion Combined | ZeroHedge
- Q3 Estimates Beginning to Slip | Financial Sense
- On Dominoes, WMDs And Putin's "Aggression": Imperial Washington Is Intoxicated By Another Big Lie | ZeroHedge
- "US Will Feel Tangible Losses," Russia Prepares To Unleash Retaliatory Trade Wars | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- REVIEW: LG's New G3 May Be The Best Giant Screen Phone Yet, But There's Still One Problem | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider
- Soccer Deals Shows Why Advertising On NBA Uniforms Is Inevitable | Business Insider
- Inside TMZ's Awesome Office Space And TV Studio In Downtown LA | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Makes A Huge Change That Will Screw Players Linked To... | Business Insider
- 3 Stocks Spiking on Big Volume | TheStreet.com