Covered Call Picks (URI,LCC,GMCR,MU,STX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|URI||United Rentals Inc||34.8||35||2.4||6.80%||Jul-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.5||13||0.8||6.70%||Jul-12|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||20.7||21||1.3||6.40%||Jul-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||5.94||6||0.4||6.10%||Jul-12|
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $34.79. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.5. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $13.36.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $20.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.45 and $115.98.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $5.94. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $9.16.
Seagate Technology (STX) is currently trading at $23.84. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $32.55.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Initial Jobless Claims Jump Most In 4 Months, Continuing Claims At Best Since 2007 | ZeroHedge
- 302 Reasons To Jump Ship | ZeroHedge
- Russia Warns West "Remove Forces"; Begins Military Exercise On Ukraine Border | ZeroHedge
- Second US Warship Enters Black Sea To "Promote Peace And Stability" | ZeroHedge
- ECB Moving Closer to Unconventional Policy | Financial Sense
- In "Flash Boys," Michael Lewis Misses the Point -- Deliberately | ZeroHedge
- 5 Reasons for a Q2 Decline in U.S. Interest Rates | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Army General Fired By President Obama: Don't Feel Sorry For Me | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- We Recreated The Pepsi Challenge To See What People Really Like | Business Insider
- Cubs And D-Backs Are Wearing Gorgeous Throwback... | Business Insider
- Google Says Glass Is Flopping Because Of Its Limited Roll-Out (GOOG) | Business Insider
- The Financial Times Rips Bill Ackman's New Deal Apart | Business Insider
- These 23 Countries Have More Than Doubled Military Spending In The Last... | Business Insider