Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Futures Fall, European Stocks Rise As Stronger Dollar Sends Oil Lower | ZeroHedge
- What Happens When Central Banks Become Major Buyers in the Stock Market? Case Study: Japan | Financial Sense
- The First Victims Of The Libor Surge Have Emerged... In Japan | ZeroHedge
- Why Today's 2 Year Auction Is Important | ZeroHedge
- The Schizophrenic Fed | Financial Sense
- Trump Demands Special Prosecutor To Investigate Clinton's "Email Crimes" | ZeroHedge
- Investors Panic-Buy Saudi Default Protection Ahead Of Big Debt Deal | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Millennials are rapidly changing today's business landscape —... | Business Insider
- 11 things Hollywood gets wrong about being an FBI agent — and one... | Business Insider
- The race for a driverless taxi service is on | Business Insider
- Victoria's Secret is turning into a discount retailer | Business Insider
- Food has gotten so bad at one prison that inmates... | Business Insider
- The heartbreaking reasons why humans haven’t eradicated this incurable disease | Business Insider
- The biggest reason you gain weight as you age has nothing to do with your metabolism | Business Insider