Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can the United States Rule the (Energy) World? | Financial Sense
- Much Can Happen Between Now and Memorial Day | iBankCoin.com
- 20 Stunning Facts On The US Retail Apocalypse | ZeroHedge
- A Lackluster Start to the Year | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Military Conducts Training Drill, To Test "Combat Readiness" | ZeroHedge
- Wide Spreads to Keep in Mind | iBankCoin.com
- Long Crude Oil Speculative Bets Rise To All Time High | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Social Media Ads Are Among The Most... | Business Insider
- Libya's Parliament Orders Military Operation... | Business Insider
- Obama Advisor: US Won't Recognize Crimea Annexation | Business Insider
- These Unbelievable Architectural Images Look Like Photos But Were Made Entirely... | Business Insider
- A New Blood Test Predicts Alzheimer’s With 90% Accuracy | Business Insider
- The Time Mark Cuban Got Magic Johnson Kicked Off A Plane | Business Insider
- A 25-Year Timeline Of The World Wide Web | Business Insider