Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- FBI Crime Report Reveals Massive Surge In Murder Rates In Several Large U.S. Cities | ZeroHedge
- Viral Surveillance Video Reveals A Shocking Scene From China's Housing Bubble | ZeroHedge
- Why Much of Asia Is Thankful for the Upcoming iPhone Release | Financial Sense
- Jihadists Target Spain | ZeroHedge
- Hillary vs Donald: So Who Won? | ZeroHedge
- 'Angry' Davids Vs. 'Complacent' Goliaths: Social Revolution Looms | ZeroHedge
- US Bonds, Stocks Rally As Most Systemically Dangerous Bank In The World Collapses | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is how stress affects hair loss | Business Insider
- Top environmental group releases ad of Trump’s face melting to mock debate... | Business Insider
- THE... | Business Insider
- How to prevent common cooking mistakes, according to London's Michelin-... | Business Insider
- These are the nicknames that Chinese people gave to Donald Trump | Business Insider
- Disney is making a live-action version of 'The Lion King... | Business Insider
- Kelsey Grammer is teaming up with his tech CEO neighbor to sell their... | Business Insider