Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- UBS On Japan - Are You 'Abe'liever? | ZeroHedge
- UNSCATHED | iBankCoin.com
- LOOONG STRAWS | iBankCoin.com
- A Culture Of Fear And Intimidation... | ZeroHedge
- Initial Claims In Line With Expectations, Not Nearly As Bad As Needed To Send Stocks Higher | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Tell Mom the Hedge Fund Manager’s Dead | iBankCoin.com
- Argentine Inflation: It’s Tough When All You Get Is Lies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We Tried The Half-Doughnut, Half-Croissant Pastry That New Yorkers Are Going Crazy For: Here's... | Business Insider
- The CIA Used Emoticons When They Hashed Out Benghazi Talking Points | Business Insider
- Twitter vs. Facebook: The Great Debate | TheStreet.com
- Check Out The Best Features Of Toshiba's Expensive New Touchscreen Laptop, The... | Business Insider
- Florida Man Captures Longest Python Ever In A Fight To The Death | Business Insider
- 'Mad Money' Lightning Round: I Like CVS Over Rite Aid | TheStreet.com
- Zach Galifianakis Bought A Homeless Woman An Apartment — And Took... | Business Insider