Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Europe's Great Experiment Is Failing | Financial Sense
- Futures, Global Stocks Tumble As Europe Bank, Periphery Carnage Unfolds | ZeroHedge
- The Financial (Under)World Is Catching Down To The "Economy Of Actual Stuff" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Spikes To 8-Month Highs, Silver Breaks Key Technical Level | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela Prepares To Liquidate Its Remaining Gold Holdings To Pay Coming Debt Maturities | ZeroHedge
- Dow Dumps 600 Points From "Great" Jobs Report Highs | ZeroHedge
- Gunshots Heard In Hong Kong As Police Battle Angry Crowds On First Day Of Chinese New Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla can't catch a break (TSLA) | Business Insider
- 10 reasons you should quit your job this year | Business Insider
- A newly surfaced photo of two 'Game of Thrones'... | Business Insider
- Steve Harvey makes fun of his... | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders addresses 'Bernie bro' phenomenon: 'We don't want that... | Business Insider
- The Cadillac CTS-V will make you feel young — even if you're getting older (gm) | Business Insider
- Oil's literally dirt cheap | Business Insider