Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deflation’s Final Curtain Call (Part 2) | Financial Sense
- Janet Yellen's J-Hole Speech: Slack Remains, QE Is Over, Rates Could Rise Sooner (Or Later) | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Surges To Over 4-Year High, Biggest Beat On Record | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Financials/Consumer Staples: Stick With It | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap August 20, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Roundup Of Key Research Papers At Jackson Hole | ZeroHedge
- Are Overseas Capital Inflows Pushing Up U.S. Markets? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One Paragraph Cuts Through The Hype Of Robots Taking Your Job | Business Insider
- Thomson Reuters Is Reportedly Sending A Presumptuous Email To Publishers Saying... | Business Insider
- Exxon vs Chevron: Battle of the Oil Dividend Behemoths | TheStreet.com
- RAND PAUL: 'Let The Democrats Put Forward A War Hawk Like Hillary... | Business Insider
- Here's Your Chance To Take Private Tours Of LinkedIn, Twitter And More | Business Insider
- Watch Japanese Artists Paint Dragons With A Single Brushstroke | Business Insider
- There Are 2 Simple Reasons Why Young Wall Streeters Are Getting Big Raises | Business Insider