Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- You Got Trumped! Trump not yellin’ about Yellen anymore! | ZeroHedge
- Ontario Finally Moves to Douse Real Estate Inferno | Financial Sense
- Trade War Sparks Stock Surge Amid Biggest Short Squeeze Since Trump's Election | ZeroHedge
- Is the US Workforce Nearing Full Recovery? | Financial Sense
- France: Paris Attack Shakes up Presidential Race | Financial Sense
- Government Shutdown Averted? Trump Punts On Border Wall, Will Wait Until September | ZeroHedge
- WTI/RBOB Tumble After Surprise Crude, Gasoline Builds | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 websites a smart job hunter checks every day | Business Insider
- The first round of the French election is over, and Wall Street can start moving... | Business Insider
- Tyson Foods is buying packaged-food maker AdvancePierre for $3.2... | Business Insider
- This incredible vertical farm skyscraper could feed an entire town... | Business Insider
- Some Tesla employees claim the company is illegally... | Business Insider
- Apple is catastrophically late to the self-driving car game (AAPL,... | Business Insider
- Congress is getting closer to a deal to stop a... | Business Insider