Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Harley Bassman: "The Fed Is Trying To Land A Jumbo Jet On A Football Field" | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Someone Didn't Do The Math On The ECB's Corporate Bond Purchasing "Trial Balloon" | ZeroHedge
- No Hard-Landing for China’s Economy for Now | Financial Sense
- MeeT ZeRo THe WHiTeHouSe GuaRD DoG... | ZeroHedge
- George Soros Slams Putin, Warns Of "Existential Threat" From Russia, Demands $20 Billion From IMF In "Russia War Effort" | ZeroHedge
- The Reckoning for 3D Printers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 18 Most Cliché Halloween Costumes Of 2014 | Business Insider
- Microsoft's Surface Found A Lifeline (MSFT) | Business Insider
- 3 Ways To Become A CEO Before You Turn 30 | Business Insider
- Markets Are Sinking | Business Insider
- Dicker: With Low Oil Prices, Which Companies Should You Buy? | TheStreet.com
- Is Elon Musk Finally Giving Up On Selling Teslas... | Business Insider
- Apple Rips To A New All-Time High (AAPL) | Business Insider