Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine Risk Soars To 4 Year High As Opposition Offices Raided, Protests Continue - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Euthanasia of the Economy | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: The Triumph Of "Ron Paul"-ism | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Fisher Blasts "Flaccid" Monetary Policy, Says More CapEx Needed | ZeroHedge
- Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere | Financial Sense
- HaPPY PeaRL HaRBoR DaY 2013 | ZeroHedge
- US Gets Involved In Another Foreign Conflict, Will Support French Troops In Central African Republic | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- University Of Oregon Investigating Viral Video Of Students Pelting A Retired... | Business Insider
- JFK Airport Workers Have Been Ordered To Shoot The Majestic Snowy Owl On Sight... | Business Insider
- US Spy Agency Boasts 'Nothing Is Beyond Our Reach' With New Logo | Business Insider
- Lions Kicker Falls Down Like Charlie Brown On An Extra Point Attempt In The Snow | Business Insider
- I've Been Using This Awesome Real-Time Search Engine — And It's Actually Owned By Facebook... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Adventurer Who Inspired James Franco Movie '127 Hours' Arrested For Domestic... | Business Insider