Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Kamikaze-Kuroda & Carl Icahn Crush Facebook-Driven Stock-Feeding Frenzy | ZeroHedge
- The $2 Trillion Gamble That Saudi Arabia Cannot Win | ZeroHedge
- Why The US Output Gap Means The 10 Year Is Going Below 1% | ZeroHedge
- Doha Meeting Reveals OPEC’s Inability to Control Global Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- What If The BOJ Disappoints Tonight: How To Trade It | ZeroHedge
- The "World's Biggest Short Squeeze" Has Spread From ETFs To Stocks | ZeroHedge
- What Americans Spent The Most Money On In Q1 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- An artist uses mathematical formulas to make... | Business Insider
- Canada's Boeing challenger just made a blockbuster deal with Delta (DAL, bbdb... | Business Insider
- REMITTANCES EXPLAINED: How funds are transferred across borders, and why digital is... | Business Insider
- Pending home sales jump to their highest level in almost a year | Business Insider
- JPMorgan just promoted 120 bankers to managing director, and we've got the... | Business Insider
- Scientists have solved an ancient Peruvian mystery from... | Business Insider
- A striking number of high-school seniors aren't prepared for college math and... | Business Insider