Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Number Of Companies Beating Revenue Estimates Hits Lowest Level In Two Years | ZeroHedge
- Global Uncertainty With the Upper Hand | Financial Sense
- Volume Data Have Eased One Concern | Financial Sense
- Half a Bubble Off Dead Center | Financial Sense
- The View at 30,000 Feet | Financial Sense
- Russia Deploys Tactical Drones In The Arctic, Exposes Rarely-Seen US Spy Satellite Images | ZeroHedge
- Last Minute Tune Ups Before Exodus Launch | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- VW patriarch and board chairman Piech resigns | Business Insider
- The most troubling thing about Russian hackers reading... | Business Insider
- BRUCE JENNER: I’m a transgender, Conservative Republican | Business Insider
- The capital of Nepal turns into a 'tent... | Business Insider
- A former top adviser destroyed Obama's Iraq policy in one sentence | Business Insider
- Finding their roots: Babylift children return to Vietnam | Business Insider
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? The biggest NFL Draft busts ever | Business Insider