Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is it Time to Load Up on Gold? | Financial Sense
- A Veteran Trader Slams The Fed: "Savers Are The Patsies For Share Buybacks" | ZeroHedge
- The Summation Of All Fears | ZeroHedge
- This Is The Reason Why Facebook Is Sliding After Hours, Dragging Nasdaq Futures Lower | ZeroHedge
- Trade Like A Market Wizard - An Interview With Mark Andrew Ritchie | ZeroHedge
- Elio Motors Hits $25 Million Crowdfunding Goal | ZeroHedge
- Fed Finishes 54th Consecutive Meeting With No Hike, Hints At Dovish Delay | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- England reach 221-7 at lunch in third Ashes Test | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (TWTR, FB, YELP,... | Business Insider
- Facebook now lets you say 'Happy Birthday!' by texting a single... | Business Insider
- Brazil raises key interest rate to 14.25% to curb... | Business Insider
- Dropbox CEO: Every major tech company is 'firebombing us' | Business Insider
- REVIEW: You're going to love Windows 10 | Business Insider
- Market... | StreetInsider.com