Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paul Craig Roberts Rages "Free Financial Markets Are A Hoax" | ZeroHedge
- Dr. Lacy Hunt on US Endgame and Greatest Risk to Financial Markets | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: May 28 | ZeroHedge
- Biker Breastaurant Shootout Arrests Threaten To Blow Hole In County Budget | ZeroHedge
- The Stock Market - A Picture Of Excess | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
- 3 Things: Oil Trouble | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- STOCKS FALL, OIL SURGES: Here's what you need to know (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USO, WTI, OIL, VDE, AXP... | Business Insider
- US spelling bee ends in a tie -- again | Business Insider
- Here come pending home sales ... (ITB, XHB, PKB, HOMX, FLM) | Business Insider
- 'Mad Max' fans are overrunning an Amazon page for a product with hilarious... | Business Insider
- Google is laying the foundation for the future of virtual reality right now (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Millionaires share their top 3 priorities in life | Business Insider
- A few tell-tale signs that you should short a Chinese stock | Business Insider