Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Western Democracy Is An Endangered Species On Its Way To Extinction | ZeroHedge
- Russia Refuses To Participate In Ukraine Debt Restructuring | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Suffers First Death Cross Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Why the $20 Oil Predictions Are Wrong | Financial Sense
- Zulauf and Chandler on Currency Wars, Banking Crises, and Stock Market | Financial Sense
- The Fun-Durr-Mental Reason Why Stocks Are Bouncing (Again) | ZeroHedge
- It's Official: China Confirms It Has Begun Liquidating Treasuries, Warns Washington | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Austrian Police: at least 20 migrants found dead in truck | Business Insider
- Trump's supporters LOVE IT when he insults and brags | Business Insider
- Why one university is trying to get Merriam-... | Business Insider
- Police confront North Dakota students armed with telescope... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Colorado theater gunman's sentencing caps grueling trial... | Business Insider
- Let's stop comparing today's market to 1998 | Business Insider