Covered Call Picks (FSLR,VXX,WCRX,ANR,HNR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||14.9||15||1.2||7.70%||Jul-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN||16.7||17||1.3||7.50%||Jul-12|
|WCRX||Warner Chilcott PLC||17.7||18||1.2||6.50%||Jul-12|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||7.73||8||0.5||6.20%||Jul-12|
|HNR||Harvest Natural Resources Inc||8.95||10||0.4||3.90%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $16.67. Its 52 week range is between $15.57 and $59.18.
Warner Chilcott PLC (WCRX) is currently trading at $17.69. Its 52 week range is between $12.9 and $24.65.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.73. Its 52 week range is $7.83 and $47.25.
Harvest Natural Resources Inc (HNR) is currently trading at $8.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.85 and $14.21.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Economy Expands at 4.0% Annual Rate in Q2 | Financial Sense
- Social Media Is Making People Dumber, Fears Elliott's Paul Singer | ZeroHedge
- Risk Off As Employment Costs Surge: This Is Where Wages Supposedly Rose The Most | ZeroHedge
- The World's Most Crowded Trade | ZeroHedge
- Goodbye July | iBankCoin.com
- More Sellers Than Buyers | iBankCoin.com
- President Obama To Explain How Inventory Stuffing Is Good For All Of Us - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' End-Credits Scene Leaks Online | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Earth Spent Its First Billion Years Being Pummeled By Asteroids | Business Insider
- Everything You Need To Know Before Friday's Jobs Report (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT, XLF, XHB... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer's Mad Dash: Painful Day for Micron, 3D Systems | TheStreet.com
- Exxon and Colgate Beat Q2 Estimates, Kellogg Misses | TheStreet.com
- 13 Weird Psychological Reasons Someone Might Fall In Love With You | Business Insider