Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap Apr 27, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Cybersecurity Companies in the "Military-Internet Complex" | Financial Sense
- Failed Chinese Local Bond Offering Leads To PBOC Easing Confusion | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 27 | ZeroHedge
- Who Is Really Choosing America's Next President? | ZeroHedge
- Trying to Shake a Dour Mood | iBankCoin.com
- Why A Chinese Developer's Default Means Trouble For New York Real Estate | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NYPD thanks Swedish cops on vacation for breaking up... | Business Insider
- 52 missing feared dead in Afghanistan landslide | Business Insider
- How we ranked our list of the 50 best companies to work for in... | Business Insider
- This portable external charger is a must-have for anyone who travels for work [... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-... | StreetInsider.com
- Android is finally beating Apple in this one key metric (... | Business Insider
- Panasonic says annual profit soared 49% to $1.5 bn | Business Insider