Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What The BOJ's Final "Yentervention" Option Would Look Like | ZeroHedge
- What Kind of Power Will China Become? | Financial Sense
- The Chinese Yuan Countdown Is On | ZeroHedge
- MRS MaGoo... | ZeroHedge
- Banking On A Bounce? Jamie Dimon Vs The Credit Market | ZeroHedge
- The Hidden Agenda Behind Saudi Arabia’s Market Share Strategy | ZeroHedge
- Gold Soars, Stocks Sink Despite Biggest Oil Rally In 7 Years | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Kanye West is still making changes to his new album on the day it's... | Business Insider
- Incredible drone footage of sheep herders in New Zealand | Business Insider
- The CEO of $2.8 billion Slack says it has one big... | Business Insider
- Pandora is shopping itself around — and the stock is soaring... | Business Insider
- Last chance: These Amazon tablets and e-readers are the cheapest they’ve... | Business Insider
- John Kasich's momentum seems to be carrying into South Carolina | Business Insider
- Here are the most popular emojis in every state | Business Insider