Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Going with the Flow of the Market’s Music | iBankCoin.com
- Diplomacy Fails In Ukraine: Putin Slams Kerry Plan, Kiev Issues Ultimatum, Crimea Suspends All Non-Moscow Flights | ZeroHedge
- CoLD WaR 2.0: THe ReTuRN oF PuTTNiK... | ZeroHedge
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet for Dealing With Haters | Altucher Confidential
- China’s Credit Markets Under Pressure | Financial Sense
- Enter the Inter | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap March 10, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Tweet Explains Why Sears Continues to Fail | TheStreet.com
- 3 Strategies For Getting A Promotion When You Work From Home | Business Insider
- Market Wrap:... | StreetInsider.com
- Officials Identify Stolen Passport Holder As Iranian Man With No Terror Link... | Business Insider
- Another Sign Of Creeping Labor Market Tightness... | Business Insider
- Two Of The GOP's Top Presidential Prospects Are Engaged In A Very Public Feud | Business Insider
- Greenpeace Has Declared War On Procter & Gamble And Its Ad Agencies (PG) | Business Insider