Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Alibaba's Jack Ma Sees "Decades Of Pain Ahead" Thanks To Internet Disruption | ZeroHedge
- Feudalism And The "Algorithmic Economy" | ZeroHedge
- Nordstrom Selling Fake-Mud Jeans For $425 | ZeroHedge
- Security Forces Put On Alert As Trump Set To Ban Laptops On Planes Originating From Europe | ZeroHedge
- McClellan: "Gobs of Liquidity" to Fuel Markets Higher | Financial Sense
- Rate Normalization to Continue Above 2 Percent | Financial Sense
- Central Banks Are Now Printing $200 Billion Per Month... Without a Crisis | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla's solar business is largely a bust | Business Insider
- Here's what a war with North Korea might look like | Business Insider
- President Trump just called outer space to congratulate NASA's... | Business Insider
- Half of millennials think that YouTube has the most annoying ads... | Business Insider
- Death toll in Venezuela's political protests rises to 26 | Business Insider
- The most important lesson Larry David taught 'Seinfeld' writers | Business Insider
- A nuclear-powered submarine is joining the USS Carl Vinson near... | Business Insider