Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "We Want The Names Of Anyone Who Sold" - China's Market Witch Hunt Enters Twilight Zone | ZeroHedge
- IMF Reiterates Greece Disqualified for Bailout, Participation Depends on Debt Relief and Reforms | Financial Sense
- Least Transparent Ever: IRS Used "Wholly Separate" Message System To Hide Communications | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: China’s Holding of Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: July 30 | ZeroHedge
- "Western Central Banks Have Set Us Up; You'll Hear The Printing Presses From Mars" | ZeroHedge
- This Is How The Much Anticipated "Second Seasonal Adjustment" Affected Q1 GDP | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chinese hackers reportedly hit thousands of students at the... | Business Insider
- 6 reasons why Minecraft is so incredibly popular | Business Insider
- SoulCycle explains why minimum wage hikes mean wage hikes for everyone | Business Insider
- France and Russia reached a compensation deal for the $1.3 billion... | Business Insider
- This Instagram adventure of twists and turns through the world of Adult Swim's... | Business Insider
- Mark Zuckerberg dropped a hint about another multibillion-dollar opportunity Facebook hasn... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek