Covered Call Picks (RIMM,ARNA,VRTX,LULU,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||7.39||8||1.5||20.20%||Aug-12|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||9.98||10||2||19.50%||Aug-12|
|VRTX||Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc||55.9||57.5||7.2||12.90%||Aug-12|
|LULU||lululemon Athletica Inc||59.6||60||6.3||10.50%||Aug-12|
|LNG||Cheniere Energy Inc||14.7||15||1.4||9.20%||Aug-12|
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $7.49. Its 52 week range is between $7.34 and $33.54.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $13.5.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $55.56. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) is currently trading at $58.1. Its 52 week range is $41.7 and $81.09.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $14.8. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Silver Bulls Head Out for a Sunday Drive | iBankCoin.com
- TiCKeTS FoR THe FiaT BaBY... | ZeroHedge
- Crushed By Soaring Energy Costs, Japan Prepares To Reactivate Its Nuclear Power Plants | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 20 | ZeroHedge
- The New New York Housing Bubble: Park Avenue "Maids Quarters" Studio For $3.9 Million | ZeroHedge
- The Taper Trade | Financial Sense
- Is Bad Economic Data Good for Stocks? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Most Powerful Banker In America Could Have His Wings Clipped This Week | Business Insider
- MARISSA MAYER: Here's Why I Just Bought Tumblr For $1.1... | Business Insider
- IRS Chief Refuses To Name The Boneheads Who Targeted Tea Party Groups | Business Insider
- FELIX ZULAUF: Stocks Remind Me Of Gold And They Could See A 'Quick And Painful... | Business Insider
- Japan Explodes Higher, While Gold And Silver Are Getting Smoked | Business Insider
- These Are Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer's Favorite Designer Labels (YHOO) | Business Insider
- Parents Are Bribing Kids To Go To Boring, Booze-Free, Supervised Prom Parties | Business Insider