Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- May Answers the Big Brexit Question | Financial Sense
- Goldman Warns The Following Assets Are "Most Vulnerable To Substantial Repricing" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Up Through 'Key' $1207 Level as 'Brexit Means UK Out of Single Market' | Financial Sense
- Peso, Loonie Drop After NAFTA Renegotiation Executive Order Headlines | ZeroHedge
- Why Barclays Downgraded Apple | ZeroHedge
- US Futures, Oil Flat As Greenback Rises Despite Mnuchin's "Strong Dollar" Warning | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Market Recap Jan 22, 2017 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Liam Neeson opens up about working with Martin Scorsese on 'Silence... | Business Insider
- Trump campaign: Trump may not enforce individual... | Business Insider
- The new era of payment processing will change everything | Business Insider
- 'We're top-heavy as s---': LeBron James blasted the Cavaliers... | Business Insider
- This ex-Cisco exec's startup kicked off 2017 by getting a $1 billion valuation that’s... | Business Insider
- MORGAN STANLEY: Everything that used to make sense in... | Business Insider
- A star tech and media banker shares his thoughts on dealmaking in 2017 | Business Insider