Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Looks to Cool Hot Real Estate Market | Financial Sense
- Project Veritas 4: Robert Creamer's Illegal $20,000 Foreign Wire Transfer Caught On Tape | ZeroHedge
- New Home Sales Rise But Miss After Dramatic Downward Revision | ZeroHedge
- "This Is About Whiteness" UC Berkeley Students Segregate Campus, Block Bridge With Human Wall | ZeroHedge
- Don't Diss The Dark Ages | ZeroHedge
- As Calais "Jungle" Burns, Refugees Try To Storm Their Way Back In | ZeroHedge
- Slumping Used Car Prices Spell Disaster For Subprime Auto Securitizations | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The most haunted hotels in America | Business Insider
- These are the best restaurants in New York City, according to Zagat | Business Insider
- Syrian ISIS suspect charged with scouting Berlin attack... | Business Insider
- 9 mistakes you might be making in the first 10... | Business Insider
- 2 times Wall Street analysts already blew it this earnings season (ATHN... | Business Insider
- Buffalo Wild Wings ticks up despite slipping sales (BWLD) | Business Insider
- Researchers have found the first fossilized dinosaur brain | Business Insider