Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hyper-Sensitive Illinois Mayor Orders Police Raid Over Parody Twitter Account | ZeroHedge
- POLL: Are You Bullish or Bearish on the Markets? | iBankCoin.com
- Reports Are Not Yet Confirming Slowdown Was All Weather Related | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap April 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Two Measures of Inflation | Financial Sense
- 18 Stats That Prove That Government Dependence Has Reached Epidemic Levels | ZeroHedge
- FX: Ranges Persist, though Sterling is Exceptional | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 11 Scientific Reasons Dogs Are Better Than Cats | Business Insider
- After-... | StreetInsider.com
- JIM O'NEILL: The Crisis In Ukraine Is Just A Symptom Of Something... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- This Map Shows That Nearly Half Of America Is Uninhabited | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer on Yahoo! and Bank of America Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Trading Radar for 04/11:... | StreetInsider.com