Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Kyle Bass Shares The "Stunning" Thing A Central Banker Once Told Him | ZeroHedge
- Two Warning Signs That This Bounce is Not to Be trusted | ZeroHedge
- 'Ignorant Masses' Warn 'Elites' - "Go Ahead, Rise Up... But Be Careful What You Wish For" | ZeroHedge
- Biometric Technology, "Brainprints", and the Death of the Password | Financial Sense
- The Silent Puerto Rican Debt Default | ZeroHedge
- A Shocking Admission From The ECB: "We Are Concerned About The Shrinking Pool Of Eligible Debt" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are some the of strangest ways millennials use technology | Business Insider
- Here's how Tesla's Autopilot works | Business Insider
- Thousands are protesting in Hong Kong as... | Business Insider
- Here's how you can finally get over regret | Business Insider
- Oil rig count rises by the most in 6 months | Business Insider
- Italy, Colombia,... | Business Insider
- Attorney general will accept recommendations in Hillary Clinton email inquiry amid... | Business Insider