Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Uncle Sam Does The Impossible: Loses $105 Million/Year Coining Money! | ZeroHedge
- Mish’s Take: What’s Behind the Plunge in Oil? Boon to Spending or Recessionary? | Financial Sense
- Tech Leads The Way | iBankCoin.com
- Postcards from Ferguson, Missouri. | iBankCoin.com
- This Factor Could Propel Gold Mining Stocks Much Higher In 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Don't Tell Germany Draghi Is About To Monetize 90% Of Bund Issuance | ZeroHedge
- U.S. vs. Global Shock | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Single Most Important Risk Investors Face | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Here Are The 5 Best Books Bill Gates Read In 2014 | Business Insider
- The World's Deepest-Dwelling Fish Is Actually This Strange-Looking 'Eel... | Business Insider
- 'Shark Tank' Investor Daymond John Explains What He... | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban Threatened To Leave Shark Tank Over Sony's 'Insulting... | Business Insider
- 25 Gifts Under $25 For Your Holiday Party Host | Business Insider