Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gundlach: "Sell Everything, Nothing Here Looks Good" | ZeroHedge
- The DNC Summarized (In 1 Simple Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- Chicago PMI 'Steady' At 18-Month Highs Despite Drop In Production, New Orders | ZeroHedge
- Wishful Optimism: The Triumph Of Lies Over Truth | ZeroHedge
- Exposing Hillbama's Big Lie: The Central Issue In The U.S. Presidential Campaign | ZeroHedge
- Bank Of Japan Shocks Market, Shuns Government Pressure: Leaves QE, Rates Unchanged, Questions Policy Effectiveness | ZeroHedge
- Excerpts From Hillary Clinton's Speech | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The world is following Japan's lead at the worst possible time | Business Insider
- Interior decorators reveal the 3 best tricks to make a room look brighter | Business Insider
- Astronauts are dying of heart disease and we don’t know why... | Business Insider
- These 7 apps will transform your body — and change your life | Business Insider
- This is the latest you should eat at night if you want to sleep well and not gain weight | Business Insider
- Here's a quick guide to what traders are talking about on 'one of... | Business Insider
- All the 'Star Wars' fans who nailed their cosplay at Comic-Con | Business Insider