Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Everyone Is Missing The Most Troubling Part About Hillary's Email Audit! | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Soar On Hawkish Fed As Gold Suffers Worst Week In 6 Months | ZeroHedge
- Here's Why All Pension Funds Are Doomed, Doomed, Doomed | ZeroHedge
- Bank of America's Winning Excuse: "We Didn't Mean To" | ZeroHedge
- Hillary's New Avengers | ZeroHedge
- How The Senate Just Took "A Hatchet To American Liberty" | ZeroHedge
- What Would Ludwig von Mises Do In Venezuela? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's why pools have that distinct smell — and it... | Business Insider
- 14 iconic sandwiches from around the world | Business Insider
- Gusto CEO to Zenefits CEO: 'I don't think a culture can be changed by... | Business Insider
- There are ominous signs for crude oil's recovery floating in oceans around... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Former Yahoo COO slams media coverage... | Business Insider
- How to grill the perfect steak | Business Insider