Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Nomi Prins: Why The Financial & Political System Failed And Stability Matters | ZeroHedge
- 20-Year CBS News Veteran Details Massive Censorship And Propaganda In Mainstream Media | ZeroHedge
- Ebola Discoverer Warns Deadly Virus Will Hit China | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's "Other" Taper: Printing Of New $100 Bills Tumbles By 85% In 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Who Will Win This Next Pennant? | iBankCoin.com
- THE TIM COOK BOTTOM OR TOP? | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hazmat Suit Supplier Shares Explode (LAKE) | Business Insider
- This Site Wants To Provide Expert Investing Insight Without The Price Tag | Business Insider
- Marcus 'The Profit' Lemonis Reveals 2 Common Mistakes That Destroy... | Business Insider
- The Bizarre Story Behind Today's Sudden Ruble Rally | Business Insider
- The IRS Can Seize Tons Of Your Cash If You Deposit It The Wrong Way | Business Insider
- Oil Services Stocks Are Now Too Cheap to Ignore as Crude Oil Prices Slide | TheStreet.com
- Apple Pay Battle vs. Walmart's MCX Is VHS-Betamax All Over Again | TheStreet.com