Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Barry Bannister on Greece | Financial Sense
- Ragin' Contagion: When Debtors Go Broke, So Do Mercantilist Exporters | ZeroHedge
- Bought a Few | iBankCoin.com
- Greece "Uncontained" - European Bond Yields Are Soaring; Is Portugal Next? | ZeroHedge
- Volatility, Confusion Reign As PBoC Intervenes: Chinese Stocks Surge Then Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Storm Into The Green As Entire 33 Point Post-Greferendum Dip Is BTF | ZeroHedge
- IOUs It Is: Why Greece May Have A Problem Printing "Rogue" Euro Banknotes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Kainos' IPO will value the UK software company... | Business Insider
- Shake Shack just launched a Chick-fil-A killer — and it looks amazing | Business Insider
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned | Business Insider
- 'CHICKEN IS A BLANK CANVAS': The man who made Shake Shack's... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- I thought Spotify was better than Apple Music — after a week, I... | Business Insider
- REPORT: Greece turned up empty-handed to emergency... | Business Insider