Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China's Plunge Protection Team Now Owns 6% Of The Entire Chinese Stock Market | ZeroHedge
- Chief Of Russian Air Force Accuses Turkey Of Coordinated Ambush On Downed Jet | ZeroHedge
- US Corporate Earnings, Overseas Sales and the Dollar | Financial Sense
- Russia Retaliates: Putin Reveals Sanctions Against Turkey | ZeroHedge
- What Do Venture Capitalists and Little Girls Have in Common | ZeroHedge
- Epsilon Theory: Two Discoveries | Financial Sense
- The Bitcoin Universe Explained | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tumbling zinc prices hit corner of rural Ireland | Business Insider
- I attended the Macy's... | Business Insider
- Wearing skinny jeans could be really bad for your health | Business Insider
- Fuente, Virginia Tech AD call reports of hiring '... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Suspect in custody after multiple people were... | Business Insider
- Warriors run NBA-record start to 18-0, beat Kings 120-101... | Business Insider