Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Checking Out These Energy Trading Setups | iBankCoin.com
- Theory of Interest and Prices in Paper Currency Part II (Mechanics) | Financial Sense
- Rick Santelli: Europe Is Baking Rotten Cookies | Financial Sense
- North Korea Launches Three Missiles Into Eastern Sea | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Bull Run | ZeroHedge
- CANADA IS DONE, EH | iBankCoin.com
- The View From The Highest Point In The Western Hemisphere | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Here's A Greek Member Of Parliament Yelling 'Heil Hitler... | Business Insider
- Here's How Many Tickets You Need To Buy To Guarantee Winning A... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's An Awesome Craigslist Ad For A Last-Minute Wedding Date | Business Insider
- DAVID BECKHAM: How The World's Richest Soccer Player Spends His Fortune | Business Insider
- Woman Finds 17 Puppies Dumped On The Road In Indiana | Business Insider