Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- French President Fires Back At Trump Over Paris Comments | ZeroHedge
- It`s All About The 2018 Mid-Term Elections (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Intellectual Intolerance - Stunning Speech From Stanford University Provost Exposes "The Threat From Within" | ZeroHedge
- A Two-State Solution... For The West? | ZeroHedge
- Berkshire Letter Highlights: Buffett Slams Hedge Funds, Likes Immigrants And The US Outlook | ZeroHedge
- US Tax Reform in Jeopardy and the State of Strong Dollar Policy | Financial Sense
- In Latest Intel Mutiny Against Trump, DHS Analysts Say White House Travel Ban Is Wrong | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How the Oscar-winning O.J. Simpson documentary got never-before-seen evidence from the... | Business Insider
- Here's where 5 key Obama environmental policies stand under Trump | Business Insider
- Red states are acting on climate change — without calling it climate change | Business Insider
- How Hollywood hitmaker Judd Apatow thinks about tech changing the business | Business Insider
- How ESPN's 'O.J.: Made in America' became the first ever TV series... | Business Insider
- The fintech ecosystem explained | Business Insider
- A hot new hedge fund is gearing up for one of this year... | Business Insider