Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- You're Next! | ZeroHedge
- Monetary Policy Endgames: Musings, Misgivings, and Markets | Financial Sense
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In April | ZeroHedge
- The First Casualty Is Truth | ZeroHedge
- Warning: Hawkishness Ahead | Financial Sense
- Lessons from Japan: Decades of Decay, Endless Monetary Expansion | Financial Sense
- Schwab Is Forcing Cash Out Of Money Market Funds And Into Treasuries | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 of the best alcohol subscription services | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders' mighty fundraising machine has... | Business Insider
- This new ‘Game of Thrones’ character was just introduced in a huge way | Business Insider
- Investors are missing the big picture about Goldman Sachs | Business Insider
- This is the demographic Hollywood is ignoring, according to... | Business Insider
- Opponents of a Massachusetts ballot measure say cage-... | Business Insider
- This 'Game of Thrones' star says he still thinks Jon... | Business Insider