Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ReTuRN OF THe GRiM MaRKeT ReaPeR | ZeroHedge
- Madness is Infectious | iBankCoin.com
- Weak 2 Year Auction Demand As Repo Pressure Eases From "Super Special" To Virtually Nothing | ZeroHedge
- For Saudi Arabia, The Music Just Stopped: Scramble To Slash Spending Begins As Oil Math Reveals Dire Picture | ZeroHedge
- DOE Confirms Major Inventory Draw, Crude Production Slowest In 3 Months | ZeroHedge
- China Stunner: Real GDP Is Now A Negative -1.1%, Evercore ISI Calculates | ZeroHedge
- Time To Pull Out The Nasdaq/China Comparison Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Judge orders temporary halt to Mississippi executions | Business Insider
- Forget about the market for a second, and remember the US economy is kicking butt | Business Insider
- London Underground delays plans for 24-hour subway service... | Business Insider
- Microsoft is working on two new Surface tablets, report claims (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Grand jury indicts former 49er Ray McDonald on rape charge... | Business Insider
- Here's what you need to earn to be in the top 1% in 13 major US cities | Business Insider
- A Univision reporter gets kicked out of a Trump event | Business Insider