Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 50% Of American Workers Make Less Than $28,031 A Year | ZeroHedge
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
- Friday Humor: Windows 10 | ZeroHedge
- The End Of QE3, Trouble Ahead For The Bulls? | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Expects Year-End Rally Post 10% Market Correction | Financial Sense
- A Prime Spot for an Amazon Drop | iBankCoin.com
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Beers At New York Stadiums Are Outrageously Expensive | Business Insider
- Man City setback as West Ham claim shock win | Business Insider
- This Is The Jet China Built To Compete With Western Airliners | Business Insider
- This Mesmerizing Map Of The Internet Lets You Explore The Web's Tiny... | Business Insider
- This Is The Worst Airport In The World | Business Insider
- Shooter opens fire at US school, kills self: report | Business Insider
- Top 10 News... | StreetInsider.com