Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Breaking Bad (Debt) - Episode One | ZeroHedge
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- Trading Oil For HFT Idiots: Lesson Complete | ZeroHedge
- Stock Of The Year | iBankCoin.com
- Uneven Housing Recovery in Pictures | Financial Sense
- Termites Beneath USD Foundation Masked by Strength Against Euro/Yen | Financial Sense
- Gold Sovereigns Bought by Greeks in Volume - Bank Runs and New Greek Drachmas Designed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Russian opposition leader Nemtsov's murder... | Business Insider
- Here's the first image of Microsoft's HoloLens prototype... | Business Insider
- These are the parts of New York City that will flood when sea levels rise | Business Insider
- Leonard Nimoy’s excellent ‘Big Bang Theory’ cameo where he voiced a tiny Spock... | Business Insider
- This simple chart paints a perfect picture of how 'House of... | Business Insider
- There's a terrifying place called Snake Island that's home to... | Business Insider
- Who's running Microsoft these days? Satya Nadella's brain trust | Business Insider