Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank of Canada Throws in the Towel on ‘Recovery’ Meme | Financial Sense
- These Shale Companies Will File For Bankruptcy First: Goldman's "Best And Worst" Shale Matrix | ZeroHedge
- ECB Preview: FAQ | Financial Sense
- 3 Things - The Fed, Rig Counts And Employment, ECB | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Souring "Mother's Milk" Edition | ZeroHedge
- New Jobless Claims at 307K, a Bit Higher Than Expected | Financial Sense
- Did Treasury Secretary Lew Just Call Draghi A Currency Manipulator? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Madison Keys dumps out fourth seed Kvitova in Melbourne | Business Insider
- FedEx Says Earnings Will Be Fine After Its Rival UPS Forecasts A Big Miss (FDX, UPS) | Business Insider
- Existing Home Sales Fall 3.1% In 2014 (XHB) | Business Insider
- German central bank chief 'sceptical' of ECB... | Business Insider
- Chelsea boss Mourinho plays down quadruple talk | Business Insider
- Indonesia search team to float AirAsia fuselage | Business Insider
- 18 Breathtaking Photos You Won't Believe Were Taken With An iPhone | Business Insider