Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is China Trying To (Slowly) Burst Another Stock Market Bubble? | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche: "Euro Stocks Haven't Priced In Any Adverse French Outcome", That's A Mistake | ZeroHedge
- IMF Drops Pledge To "Resist All Forms Of Protectionism" | ZeroHedge
- "The Retail Bubble Has Now Burst": A Record 8,640 Stores Are Closing In 2017 | ZeroHedge
- Paris Shooter Update: Previously Convicted For Attempted Murder, Released On Probation | ZeroHedge
- Ontario Finally Moves to Douse Real Estate Inferno | Financial Sense
- Paul Tudor Jones Has A Message For Janet Yellen: "Be Terrified" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Biking to work dramatically lowers your risk of death and disease, new research... | Business Insider
- What you need to know on Wall Street today | Business Insider
- Sears just lost its CFO for the second time in 6 months ahead of a looming... | Business Insider
- A city in Illinois realized it was spending a lot of money... | Business Insider
- Theranos is being accused of running fake tests using outside lab gear... | Business Insider
- Get Frye boots for up to $100 off — and more of today's best deals from around the... | Business Insider
- Bose says it will fight the 'inflammatory, misleading' accusations... | Business Insider