Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- RX For Revisionist Bunkum: A Lehman Bailout Wouldn’t Have Saved The Economy | ZeroHedge
- MIT vs. ShadowStats – Who’s Right on Inflation? | Financial Sense
- Myths: Past, Present, and Future | Financial Sense
- Grossly Distorted Procedures: Mish Proposal to Raise GDP Calculation | Financial Sense
- Martin Armstrong Warns The West "Sanctioning Russia Is A Big Mistake" | ZeroHedge
- Another Conspiracy Theory Becomes Fact: The Fed's "Stealth Bailout" Of Foreign Banks Goes Mainstream | ZeroHedge
- Despite Late-Day Buying Panic, Stocks Close Red | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China manufacturing growth unchanged in September | Business Insider
- Backed by strikes, Kurds battle to defend key Syria town | Business Insider
- The Highest-Paid Player In Major League Soccer Has Never Played A Game... | Business Insider
- The 10 Wealthiest People In America | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Hong Kong protests hit China's National Day: Live Report... | Business Insider
- What, Me Worry? 4 Reasons Why We're Not at a Market Top Yet | TheStreet.com