Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Gap Betweeen GAAP And Non-GAAP In Two Charts | ZeroHedge
- Top Energy Performers | iBankCoin.com
- The Strategy is Simple | iBankCoin.com
- Biogen Stock Rallies After Admitting Feds Probing "Sales & Promotional Practices" | ZeroHedge
- Mugabe Considers Revival Of "Hyperinflated" Zimbabwe Dollar | ZeroHedge
- Has Inflation in the U.S. Bottomed Out? | Financial Sense
- Where Facebook's User Growth And Revenue Generation Is | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple's Quarterly Earnings Set to Beat Analyst Estimates | TheStreet.com
- Nine Out Of 10 Industries Most Often Offer Lower Prices... | Business Insider
- Nearly Sixty Percent Of Facebook's Ad Revenue... | Business Insider
- Meet The Former Diplomat Who's Wanted By The FBI For... | Business Insider
- This Map Shows New York's Best Bars For Cocktail Snobs | Business Insider
- WhatsApp Is Now Being Used By Half A Billion People Around The World | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek