Covered Call Picks (ZNGA,VHC,NFLX,CRUS,RVBD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||35.3||36||3||8.50%||Aug-12|
|CRUS||Cirrus Logic Inc||27.6||28||2.1||7.60%||Aug-12|
|RVBD||Riverbed Technology Inc||15.3||16||1.1||7.30%||Aug-12|
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $4.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.45 and $15.91.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $35.25. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $81.82. Its 52 week range is between $60.7 and $285.5.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.6. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $31.23.
Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD) is currently trading at $15.29. Its 52 week range is between $13.3 and $32.67.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Where The "Great Recovery" Is 25% Worse Than The "Great Recession" | ZeroHedge
- World Awaits Russian Response As Obama Makes "Lethal Aid" To Ukraine Legal | ZeroHedge
- IMF Now Ready To Slam The Door On The U.S. And The Dollar | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Variegated Contemplations | ZeroHedge
- Implications for the Stock Market and Gold with a Yen Rally | Financial Sense
- Weekly Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Philly Fed Crashes From 21-Year High; Employment, New Orders Collapse | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Professional Gamers Banned For Cheating | Business Insider
- Apple suppliers accused of poor treatment of workers | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The Most Popular Times To Have Sex And Other Fun Facts About Making Whoopee | Business Insider