Covered Call Picks (ZNGA,VHC,NFLX,CRUS,RVBD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||35.3||36||3||8.50%||Aug-12|
|CRUS||Cirrus Logic Inc||27.6||28||2.1||7.60%||Aug-12|
|RVBD||Riverbed Technology Inc||15.3||16||1.1||7.30%||Aug-12|
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $4.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.45 and $15.91.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $35.25. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $81.82. Its 52 week range is between $60.7 and $285.5.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.6. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $31.23.
Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD) is currently trading at $15.29. Its 52 week range is between $13.3 and $32.67.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is The Student Debt Bubble About To Witness Its 2007 Moment? | ZeroHedge
- Vice Spending Slows, Unless You’ve Got the Herb | Financial Sense
- Has the Dollar-Gold Correlation Broken Down? | Financial Sense
- U.S. Cities Series: Competitive Clusters Drive Sustainable Growth in Seattle | Financial Sense
- Markets Retreat on Increased Risk of Greek Default | Financial Sense
- Martin Armstrong: "Understanding Jackson's Bank War Is Critical To Our Future" | ZeroHedge
- Deciphering the Investment Climate | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's premier auto show opens amid growth slowdown | Business Insider
- How China is upsetting the old global economic order | Business Insider
- Brazil executive says he paid $36.1 million to... | Business Insider
- Mother of lifeless child in the iconic photo from the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing... | Business Insider
- Wenger eyes Cup record after Arsenal edge into final | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- China's rapid economic slowdown is probably... | Business Insider