Covered Call Picks (ZNGA,VHC,NFLX,CRUS,RVBD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||35.3||36||3||8.50%||Aug-12|
|CRUS||Cirrus Logic Inc||27.6||28||2.1||7.60%||Aug-12|
|RVBD||Riverbed Technology Inc||15.3||16||1.1||7.30%||Aug-12|
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $4.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.45 and $15.91.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $35.25. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $81.82. Its 52 week range is between $60.7 and $285.5.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.6. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $31.23.
Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD) is currently trading at $15.29. Its 52 week range is between $13.3 and $32.67.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Tesla Now Fully Able to Self-Drive Safer Than Humans | Financial Sense
- The Crook Versus The Monster | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Give Up Week's Gains At Open Following China Currency Carnage | ZeroHedge
- Dakota Access Pipeline Coalition Lashes Out At Obama's Attempt To "Ignore The Rule Of Law" | ZeroHedge
- Meanwhile, At The White House... | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Police Retiring in Droves, Taking Lump Sum Pensions, Fearing the Money Isn’t There (And It Isn’t) | Financial Sense
- Walls, Going Viral | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bill Murray crashed the White House press briefing room out of nowhere... | Business Insider
- The EU's chief negotiator wants Brexit... | Business Insider
- Why you should stop letting your dog lick your face | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Verizon has major ad tech and video ambitions (VZ) | Business Insider
- What you need to know on Wall Street right now | Business Insider
- I saved 50% of my income for a month and the hardest part wasn't cutting back my spending | Business Insider