Covered Call Picks (ZNGA,VHC,NFLX,CRUS,RVBD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||35.3||36||3||8.50%||Aug-12|
|CRUS||Cirrus Logic Inc||27.6||28||2.1||7.60%||Aug-12|
|RVBD||Riverbed Technology Inc||15.3||16||1.1||7.30%||Aug-12|
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $4.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.45 and $15.91.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $35.25. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $81.82. Its 52 week range is between $60.7 and $285.5.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.6. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $31.23.
Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD) is currently trading at $15.29. Its 52 week range is between $13.3 and $32.67.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is the Bond Market Telling Us? | Financial Sense
- The Great Deformation | ZeroHedge
- The Fall Is Golden For Bullion Bulls | ZeroHedge
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- These Clowns Are Dragging Us Into War | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Rises Again | Financial Sense
- A Rare Glimpse Inside The NY Fed's Favorite 'Quote-Stuffing' Hedge Fund: Citadel | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple Has Reportedly Partnered With American Express, Visa, And Mastercard For... | Business Insider
- Man Accused Of Leaking Naked Celebrity iCloud... | Business Insider
- What The Tennis Legends Of The Past Look Like Today | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for 9/2:... | StreetInsider.com
- Apparent Hollywood hack attack nabs stars' nude pix | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Libyan Militiamen Take Over Part Of An Evacuated US Embassy... | Business Insider