Covered Call Picks (ZNGA,VHC,NFLX,CRUS,RVBD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||35.3||36||3||8.50%||Aug-12|
|CRUS||Cirrus Logic Inc||27.6||28||2.1||7.60%||Aug-12|
|RVBD||Riverbed Technology Inc||15.3||16||1.1||7.30%||Aug-12|
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $4.8. Its 52 week range is between $4.45 and $15.91.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $35.25. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $81.82. Its 52 week range is between $60.7 and $285.5.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.6. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $31.23.
Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD) is currently trading at $15.29. Its 52 week range is between $13.3 and $32.67.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stay on Board | Financial Sense
- Further Signs of China’s Slowing Property Markets | Financial Sense
- THe LiBeRaToR... | ZeroHedge
- President Obama To Explain Why We're Gonna Need Moar Airstrikes In Iraq - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Just What Has QE Accomplished Since 2009? | ZeroHedge
- Things That Make You Go Hmmm...Like Gold's Sudden Ignorance Of Geopolitical Risk | ZeroHedge
- Summing Up Fed Policy In 2 Words: Vroom... Crash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here Is Rick Perry's Mug Shot | Business Insider
- LEAKED: iPhone 6 Will Be Apple's Sharpest Screen Yet (But It Still Won't Be As... | Business Insider
- Chris Christie Got Into A Heated Argument About Bruce Springsteen | Business Insider
- CHINESE MANUFACTURING FALLS TO 3-MONTH LOW | Business Insider
- APPLE $100 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Subaru Outsells Tesla 100:1 in the U.S. in July; Launches First Hybrid | TheStreet.com
- The iPhone 6 Could Have A Protruding Camera Lens That Might Make It... | Business Insider