Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Euro Eases to New 2014 Lows | Financial Sense
- Is the Market Due for Another 10% Correction? | Financial Sense
- LiBYa: MiSSiNG Me NoW? | ZeroHedge
- Phantom Liquidity and Perfect Pilfering | Financial Sense
- A-D Line Divergence Again | Financial Sense
- Housing Starts Plunge Due to Horrific Data From the South | Financial Sense
- The U.S. and Russia Are Gas Giants | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- REPORT: Google's Next Smartphone Could Be Gigantic | Business Insider
- Top 10 News for 07/21 - 07/25:... | StreetInsider.com
- Starbucks' Surprise Guidance, Amazon's Awful Numbers, Visa Passes | TheStreet.com
- Photos Of The Best Cosplay From San Diego Comic-Con 2014 | Business Insider
- The 15 Coolest Things At San Diego Comic-Con | Business Insider
- New York Has A New 'Millionaire Lair' For The Hard-Partying Elite | Business Insider