Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Where Are We Going, Where Have We Been? | Financial Sense
- What Trump Means For Vol Trading: "This Is The Start Of Global Regime Change" | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong on Capital Flows, Market Bubbles, and the Road Ahead | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: A December Bounce | Financial Sense
- As Dollar Slides, Equity Generalists "Are Increasingly Uncomfortable" With Reflation Trades | ZeroHedge
- "Pulling Awesome Forward" | ZeroHedge
- Basic Incomes in Finland and Scotland Are Reaction to Trump's Politics | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are the 2 reasons Sprint could think Jay Z's Tidal is worth... | Business Insider
- Sundance vets Elijah Wood... | Business Insider
- Hawaiians strike back at Mark Zuckerberg over... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Nicolas Maduro fired Venezuela's Central Bank chief | Business Insider
- Fan accused of pulling Steelers hotel fire alarm reportedly told police... | Business Insider
- Here’s why your jeans have that tiny front pocket | Business Insider