Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dead-Cat-Bounce Saves Stocks From Bankmageddon | ZeroHedge
- Gold Tops $1200 For First Time Since June | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan Unveils The "Bogey" For NIRP In The US | ZeroHedge
- Gold Is Spiking – Here’s Why | Financial Sense
- Global Liquidity Continues to Contract | Financial Sense
- The Age of the Intelligent Machine | Financial Sense
- Utilities Winning By Not Losing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This travel photographer takes his dog around the world with him | Business Insider
- A Facebook cofounder's productivity startup recommends 5 ways to... | Business Insider
- 'Ben, I'm sorry': Ted Cruz apologizes to Ben Carson on the... | Business Insider
- ASK A FINANCIAL PLANNER: 'Should I open a joint credit card with... | Business Insider
- The evidence is clear: Apple's next big thing will be virtual reality (AAPL... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know today | Business Insider
- Panthers make a huge mistake on a punt... | Business Insider