Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Yemen Rebels Shell Saudi Arabian City, Casualties Reported; Saudis Vow Retaliation | ZeroHedge
- Has the Dollar Topped? | iBankCoin.com
- "Stop Being So Negative": Putting It All Together | ZeroHedge
- Is Audi’s Carbon-Neutral Diesel a Game-Changer? | Financial Sense
- "Nor Any Drop To Drink," Citi Maps The Liquidity Paradox | ZeroHedge
- Quantitative Easing Is A Squalid Little Lie That Appeals To Economists With No Grasp Of History | ZeroHedge
- Billionaires Hoard $100 Million Homes At Record Pace: "Beats Gold, Because You Can Boast" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These 10 companies control almost everything you wear | Business Insider
- Botswana's marauding elephants trigger hunting ban... | Business Insider
- Louis C.K. will write, direct, and star in his own movie | Business Insider
- How Google will spend $150 million this year to make its workforce more diverse (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Syria's Aleppo suffering 'daily crimes... | Business Insider
- The 40-hour workweek is on its way out | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek