Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dear FBI: Here Is Today's Market Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Silver Lining in Soft Econ Reads | Financial Sense
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- I’m Gonna Blow Your Mind With This Post | iBankCoin.com
- Shake Shock: Spot The Fast Food Outlier | ZeroHedge
- Austria Confirms Faith In Fiat Fading: Repatriates 110 Tons Of Gold From BOE | ZeroHedge
- Hewlett Packard Just Reported Its Worst Revenue Since 2007: This Is How It "Beat" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Twitter cofounder's VC firm just raised a $123,456,789 fund... | Business Insider
- Google aims to patent child toy that pays attention | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- A guy who claims to be a CrossFit founder is facing charges of wire fraud... | Business Insider
- What selling sketches on the street for $6 taught this... | Business Insider
- Grand Jury indicts all six... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (MCD, TWTR, WMT,... | Business Insider