Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Biggest "Hamilton Oil Shock" In History | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil Prices Are Spiking (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Shake Shak Opens For Trading Valued At 108x EBITDA | ZeroHedge
- Global QE and the Gold Price | Financial Sense
- Apple Boosts Earnings Picture Though Overall Trend Still Negative | Financial Sense
- The New Greek Finance Minister Has Some Questions For The World's Journalists | ZeroHedge
- Looks Like I'll Be Able To Retire Comfortably At Age 91 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US civil rights activists cleared -- 50 years on | Business Insider
- This Website Will Turn Your Tweets Into Poetry | Business Insider
- Android App Downloads Are Leaving Apple's App Store Behind (AAPL) | Business Insider
- ICC allows banned Aamer to play domestic cricket | Business Insider
- Businesses That Update Their Apps Frequently See More App-Store Success, And Better... | Business Insider
- Here's why one company bans meetings every Wednesday morning | Business Insider
- Why Massive Sinkholes Open In The Ground Without Warning — Swallowing Cars, Homes, And Sometimes... | Business Insider