Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- QE Will Come to the Eurozone – and, Like Elsewhere, It Will Be a Failure | Financial Sense
- Here's Who Profits From The Ferguson Riots | ZeroHedge
- GMO: "There Is No Safe Place To Hide" | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Forget to Take Profits | iBankCoin.com
- Despite Collapsing Economy, Japanese PMI Surges To 5-Month High; China PMI Tumbles, Misses By Most On Record | ZeroHedge
- Ignorance Is (Still) Bliss | ZeroHedge
- Setting Up for a Fed Minutes’ Spike | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Market Wrap:... | StreetInsider.com
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- Pure Storage, A Startup Worth $3 Billion, Snagged A 10-Year Google Veteran... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Clinton's Wild Idea for Bank Fines Makes Perfect Sense | TheStreet.com