Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Prepares For GDP Surge As Consumers Scramble To Spend Their Plunging Rubles | ZeroHedge
- Here's What's Wrong With Corporate America, And The U.S. Economy | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: No Hyperinflation, Years of Low Oil Prices, and a Bubble in Stocks | Financial Sense
- "Now There's Something You Don't See Every Day" | ZeroHedge
- WTF Chart Of The Day: VIX "Noise" Edition | ZeroHedge
- "Ruble Trading To Resume" | ZeroHedge
- The December "Dots"... Drop | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trading Radar for... | StreetInsider.com
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- The 180 QX Is A Great Starter Drone [20% Off] | Business Insider
- Abercrombie Rejected A 17-Year-Old Girl For A Job, And Now The... | Business Insider
- Judd Apatow Calls 'The Interview' Theater Cancellation... | Business Insider
- What the 3 Worst Fast Food Flops of 2014 All Had in Common | TheStreet.com
- Oil Is Now Cheaper Than Water | Business Insider