Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Will Your Bank Look Like 5 Years From Now? | Financial Sense
- Stocks Stumble As VIX Hits 2-Month High | ZeroHedge
- Calling in Some Leadership | iBankCoin.com
- Richemont Chairman Warns Global Economy Is "Very Precarious... There Will Be Tears" | ZeroHedge
- The "Google Maps" Of Bitcoin Has Arrived | ZeroHedge
- Futures Slide As A Result Of Yen Carry Unwind On Double POMO Day | ZeroHedge
- As Long As The Market Keeps Rising "This" Doesn't Matter | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Report Says Cleveland Kidnapper Ariel Castro's Suicide... | Business Insider
- 3 Surprising Ways To Accelerate Retirement Savings | Business Insider
- Here's How To Undo A Sent Email In Gmail | Business Insider
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- Chrysler Crushes Expectations, Sales Surge 16% In November | Business Insider
- The Solar Bears Are Wrong | TheStreet.com
- These Were The Most Viral Tumblrs of 2013 | Business Insider