Covered Call Picks (FB,CHK,LVS,USO,C)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||18.2||19||1.3||7.10%||Sep-12|
|LVS||Las Vegas Sands Corp||36.4||37||1.9||5.20%||Sep-12|
|USO||United States Oil||33.4||33.5||1.6||4.90%||Sep-12|
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $26.85. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $45.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $18.15. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) is currently trading at $36.41. Its 52 week range is between $36.08 and $62.09.
United States Oil (USO) is currently trading at $33.41. Its 52 week range is $29.02 and $42.3.
Citigroup Inc (C) is currently trading at $26.28. Its 52 week range is between $21.4 and $39.42.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China's Colonization Of America's Luxury Real Estate Market In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- The Difference Between Bubbles And Panic: Mario Draghi Explains | ZeroHedge
- Freedom: Summed Up In One Image | ZeroHedge
- Marc Faber: Stocks Could Crash 30% Because "Obama's A Very Poor President" | ZeroHedge
- Debt: Eight Reasons This Time Is Different | ZeroHedge
- STTG Q2 2014 Reader Survey | FundMyMutualFund
- One Company Finally Admits: It Wasn't The "Harsh Weather" After All | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yahoo!'s Alibaba Cash Could Trigger a Buying Binge in Tech | TheStreet.com
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The Real Problem With That CIA Tupac Tweet | Business Insider
- Here's The Weird Thing About Apple's iWatch Team (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Martha Stewart Posted A Bunch Of Awesome Drone Photos Of Her Farm | Business Insider
- 7 Fun Things You Probably Didn't Know About Germany | Business Insider
- Why ABBA Turned Down $1 Billion To Reunite In 2000 | Business Insider