Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How The World's Most Leveraged Hedge Fund Got Away With Insider Trading | ZeroHedge
- 19 US Shale Areas That Are Suddenly Endangered, "The Shale Revolution Doesn't Work At $80" | ZeroHedge
- Cutting Oil Production Will Not Solve OPEC’s Problems | Financial Sense
- Stocks Close At Recordest Highs Ensuring 'Confident' Black Friday, Despite Macro Massacre | ZeroHedge
- Oil Plunges As Venezuela Hints No Output Reduction | ZeroHedge
- The American Dream Has Moved to Scandinavia | ZeroHedge
- Chicago PMI Suffers 4th Biggest Drop Since Lehman | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson: 'I Know I Did My Job Right' | Business Insider
- British trio on brink of Europa League knockout phase | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- The Most Successful Alumni From Each Of Oxford's Colleges | Business Insider
- Spending On Native Advertising Is Soaring As... | Business Insider
- France's Stock Market Just Broke For Three And A Half... | Business Insider
- This Old Nintendo Game Quadrupled In Price In Just A Week | Business Insider