Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is Risk-On About To Switch To Risk-Off? | ZeroHedge
- The Consequences Of Fracking: Two Clashing Views | ZeroHedge
- A Sweet Setup | iBankCoin.com
- The Ebola Epidemic Silver-Lining: IMF Bailouts For Everyone | ZeroHedge
- Bank Of America Has A Message For Its European Depositors: "We May Charge You" | ZeroHedge
- 47% of Chinese Billionaires Want to Leave China Within 5 Years | Financial Sense
- Former BP CEO Warns "Sanctions Will Bite West" As US Gives Majors 14 Days To Wind Down Russian Activities | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Local Anchorman Tells Viewers He Only Has 4 To 6 Months To Live | Business Insider
- Hull and Hammers share four goals | Business Insider
- Jennifer Lawrence Is Back In First Full 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay'... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Here Are The 24 New Shows Coming To TV This Fall | Business Insider
- Tim Cook Sounded Pretty Sure That Most People Would Love That Free U2 Album (AAPL) | Business Insider