Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Former Fed Governor Admits "Fed Is Not Data Dependent; It Is Propping Up Asset Markets" | ZeroHedge
- "What Has Been Will Be Again" - Today's Fantasies Are Vast & Unremitting | ZeroHedge
- US Shale Industry Is Painfully Adapting to Low Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Does Everyone Hate Ted Cruz: The Answer In One Diagram | ZeroHedge
- A Fully Automated Stock Market Blow-Off? | ZeroHedge
- A Post Western World? A Disturbing Interview With Prof. Harry Redner | ZeroHedge
- At Least 80 Killed After Suicide Bombing Attack In Kabul Claimed By ISIS | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Drones are about to fill the skies within the next 5 years... | Business Insider
- Mark Zuckerberg's big video bet faces the same fundamental problem that... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- A street food stall in Singapore was just awarded a Michelin... | Business Insider
- 'Mr. Robot' has taken over Comic-Con | Business Insider
- Ivanka Trump stole the show at the GOP convention on its final night — here are 12 things you might not... | Business Insider
- Leaked emails reveal Politico reporter made 'agreement' to send advanced Clinton... | Business Insider