Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Household Net Worth: The “Real” Story | Financial Sense
- Who Won the Debate? My View and Some Surprising Polls | Financial Sense
- Will Yellen Resign If Trump Wins | ZeroHedge
- Howard Dean Stands By Tweet Accusing Trump Of Snorting Blow, Wants An Answer | ZeroHedge
- Is Charlotte Our Future? | ZeroHedge
- US Government Embraces Self-Driving Vehicles: “Rise of New Technology Is Inevitable” | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank Explains Why Central Banks Are Stuck | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The FDA is redefining what it means to be healthy | Business Insider
- Joey from 'Friends' is still the most powerful man in automotive media... | Business Insider
- Former Israeli president Shimon Peres dies at 93 | Business Insider
- OPPENHEIMER: Twitter doesn't make sense at this price (TWTR) | Business Insider
- This analyst says OPEC must cut production if it... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here's why you should never trust the photos hotels post on their websites... | Business Insider