Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Baltimore 'Freddie Gray' Demonstrations Turn Violent: Police Cars Smashed, Stores Looted, Multiple Arrests - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Crude Drops After US Rig Count Decline Extends To Record 20 Weeks | ZeroHedge
- When Wall Street's Weathermen Begin To Panic | ZeroHedge
- Global Uncertainty With the Upper Hand | Financial Sense
- Overview Of Our Energy Modeling Problem | ZeroHedge
- The 'Relentless' Greek Debt Payment Schedule | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Images From The Mount Everest Avalanche | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesco is going cut thousands of products from its supermarket shelves... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Bin Laden allies suspected of Vatican plot arrested in... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Everything you need to know about Issac Asimov's Foundation, a book... | Business Insider
- Volvo has installed a luxury lounge in its new XC90 SUV | Business Insider