Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The U.S. Shale Breakeven Price Debate | Financial Sense
- Kissinger Warns of “Fatal Mistakes” on Sanctions, Russia, Cold War | Financial Sense
- With A Hard-Landing Imminent, China Reminds Residents It Is Illegal To Jump Off Tops Of Buildings | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Retail Offsets Eurozone Weakness | Financial Sense
- Only in America: Snow Looters Pillage A Dorito's Truck | ZeroHedge
- Bill Dudley Explains Why The New York Fed Is Not A Subsidiary Of Goldman Sachs - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Contrary To IRS Lies, Some 30,000 Lois Lerner "Forever Lost" Emails Have Been Recovered | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wagner, Machida going for figure skating gold in Bordeaux... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Ferguson on edge ahead of grand jury decision | Business Insider
- University Of Virginia Suspends Fraternities Following... | Business Insider
- 22 Gifts That The Modern Gentleman Actually Wants This Year | Business Insider
- Ibrahimovic back as PSG win seventh in a row | Business Insider
- Athens' Abandoned Airport Looks Incredibly Eerie In These... | Business Insider