Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Equities Coil Despite USDJPY Turmoil As Bullish Stock Speculators Hit 16-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- Why China Is Being Flooded With Oil: Billions In Underwater OPEC Loans Repayable In Crude | ZeroHedge
- Main Street Suffers As Wall Street Cheers Oil Rig Count Declines | ZeroHedge
- Shootings In Chicago Are Up An Astonishing 50% From This Time Last Year | ZeroHedge
- Ralph Acampora: Technicians Are Very Bearish Right Now | Financial Sense
- Kyle Bass Was Right: SocGen Does The Math On China's Staggering NPL Problem, Issues Dire Warning | ZeroHedge
- Is the Derivatives Market About to Implode the Big Banks Again? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- With billions at stake, here are the weirdest moments in Oracle's massive... | Business Insider
- The top 5 digital trends for 2016 | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- RANKED: These are the most popular tech companies in... | Business Insider
- The most affordable zip codes with the best... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- A hacker reveals the easiest way to come up with a strong password that's easy to... | Business Insider