Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- From the Mailbag: On Japan and the Yen | ZeroHedge
- The Secret Of All Art (cc Louis CK, Kurt Vonnegut, JK Rowling, Casey Neistat, etc) | Altucher Confidential
- Frontrunning: August 4 | ZeroHedge
- Politicians from Both Sides of the Aisle: Corruption Has Destroyed America | ZeroHedge
- Monetary Metals Supply and Demand Report 2 Aug | ZeroHedge
- We, The Sheeple | ZeroHedge
- "No Brainer" AAPL Enters Correction, Down 12% From Recent Highs To 6-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Western companies are backing away from China as growth slows | Business Insider
- There's a scary worm that can attack your Macs remotely | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Drugs group Shire says bids $30 bn for rival Baxalta | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (YHOO, FB, VZ, TWTR, MSFT) | Business Insider