Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Wouldn't Be The First President To Mobilize The National Guard To Enforce Immigration Law | ZeroHedge
- The AP Asked Trump's Supporters How Feel About His War With The Press: This Is What It Found | ZeroHedge
- Goldman: Investors Will Soon Realize They Were Too Optimistic | ZeroHedge
- Maryland Considers Teaching Kids That Boys Are Presumed Guilty In Rape Accusations | ZeroHedge
- Merkel Says There Is A "Problem" With The Euro, Blames Mario Draghi | ZeroHedge
- The Reflationary Window: Open How Wide For How Long? | Financial Sense
- A Chink of Light into London’s Gold Vaults | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider
- Iraqi forces launch a fresh offensive in Mosul | Business Insider
- The top 30 prospects in the 2017 NBA Draft | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Netflix's best food show is back — here's why you should be watching '... | Business Insider
- NBA POWER RANKINGS: Where all 30 teams stand at the All-Star break | Business Insider
- A top Wall Street bank is looking for the next generation of dealmakers | Business Insider