Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CSX Cuts Outlook Despite CEO Saying "Expects No Impact From Low Oil Prices" | ZeroHedge
- Yemen Ground Invasion By Saudi, Egyptian Troops Imminent | ZeroHedge
- The Double-Edged Sword of a Strong Dollar | Financial Sense
- Louise Yamada on "Very Frustrating" Fed-Induced Bull Market | Financial Sense
- Another Middle East War Breaks Out: Saudis Begin Bombing Yemen, US Military Taking Action | ZeroHedge
- Waiting & Watching | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap Mar 26, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple just invented an incredible technology that... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Facebook's F8 is always the quirkiest tech show of the year — see for yourself | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- The Germanwings co-pilot reportedly received... | Business Insider
- Dramatic images of the massive fire and building... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider