Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Financial Fridays: The WTF! On This Stock Market ‘Crash’ | Altucher Confidential
- Biggest Short Squeeze Since 2008 Bank Bailout And Epic VIX Rigging Sends Stocks Green For The Week | ZeroHedge
- Why the End of China's “Strong Yuan” Policy Matters to Global Markets | Financial Sense
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
- Explaining The Stock Market Rebound In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Here's Why The Markets Have Suddenly Become So Turbulent | ZeroHedge
- Fed Kocherlakota: 2015 Rate Rise Not Appropriate, Open To More Stimulus | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Latin music academy protests Trump's immigration... | Business Insider
- Lottery winners don't get largesse, but get left out | Business Insider
- 7 killed, 2 injured in China paper mill accident | Business Insider
- Facebook is leading the way in social commerce | Business Insider
- Student shot dead at US university | Business Insider
- 'Cure' for Chernobyl children: sun, sea, clean... | Business Insider
- Overcoming a basic psychological barrier could be the difference between earning just enough and... | Business Insider