Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Charting The Unquenchable Investor Thirst For Kool-Aid | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Much The Banks Paid To Get The "Volcker Rule" Outcome They Desired | ZeroHedge
- Chicago Vs. Houston (In 4 Charts) | ZeroHedge
- China Says No to Bitcoins, but Yes to the Russian Ruble | Financial Sense
- Santelli & Stockman Blast "Festering Fiscal" Budget Deal "Betrayal" | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Stock Market Setups for Friday | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: December 12 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Twitter Reveals The Most Retweeted Message Of 2013 | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Here's PIMCO's Outlook For The World Economy In 2014 | Business Insider
- Chilling Photo Shows Kim Jong-Un's Uncle As He Stands Trial For Treason | Business Insider
- Terrifying Football-Sized Slices Of Ice Are Falling Off The Bank Of America... | Business Insider
- These Charts Show That Netflix Is Killing TV | Business Insider
- American Student Studying In England Severely Beaten... | Business Insider