Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Eyes on Kenya: The Next Big Oil Exporter | Financial Sense
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- NYSE Margin Debt Drifts Higher | Financial Sense
- Dollar Pushes Higher | Financial Sense
- iBankCoin Has Reached Its Maximum Allowable Readers–Thanks For Stopping By | iBankCoin.com
- The Counter-Intuitive Rise of the U.S. Dollar | Financial Sense
- Spot The Total Logic Fail | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Owner Of The Sacramento Kings Thinks Analyzing A Bunch Of... | Business Insider
- Chaos In Hong Kong Rivals Tiananmen Square Crackdown 25 Years Ago | Business Insider
- NFL Head Coach Gives Great Quote Putting His Own Performance In Humbling... | Business Insider
- The Day 2 Hong Kong Protests Are Unbelievably Huge | Business Insider
- If Michigan Wants To Fire Its Football Coach, It Will Cost Millions | Business Insider
- Markets Are Up (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Today (GPRO, MSFT, AAPL, NFLX) | Business Insider