Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Imagining a World After Fossil Fuels | Financial Sense
- LA, Chicago, & New York Vow To Defy Trump Over Sanctuary City De-Funding | ZeroHedge
- The Curse Of 'The Thinking Class' | ZeroHedge
- Elon Musk Launches Company To Hook Up People To Computers | ZeroHedge
- Is Twitter Now Censoring Drudge Report? | ZeroHedge
- Thousands Of Americans Are Fleeing The Big Cities | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Day Arrives: Why One Trader Thinks It Will Lead To A "Hefty Rally" In Sterling | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Goldman Sachs reassures staff over Brexit in voicemail as it 'intensively' prepares contingency... | Business Insider
- The booming US auto market is starting to get risky | Business Insider
- Leftover rice could make you sick if you don't do this one thing | Business Insider
- Here's how Trump's plan to dismantle Obama's climate legacy could fall apart | Business Insider
- Apple says it found one underage worker building Apple products... | Business Insider
- The new 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' trailer reveals Tony... | Business Insider
- Here are the US counties where there are more deaths than births | Business Insider