Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Time To Get Real About China | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Robots on Verge of Replacing Human Anesthesiologists | Financial Sense
- Rand Paul Blocks Extension Of Patriot Act, Future Of Illegal NSA Spying On Americans In Limbo | ZeroHedge
- A Net Assessment of the World | Financial Sense
- This Innovation Will Help U.S. Companies Win the Oil Price War | Financial Sense
- Hillary Clinton's Speech Requirements: Private Jets, Presidential Suites And Lots Of Cash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 of the best graduation speeches of all time | Business Insider
- The incredible story of how David Letterman saved Conan O... | Business Insider
- Sweden wins Eurovision Song Contest | Business Insider
- Obama stays the course despite IS group's advance | Business Insider
- An artist is selling other people's... | Business Insider
- This Nike running installation transforms portraits into moving particles | Business Insider
- California beach town cleans up after pipeline rupture | Business Insider