Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will Wednesday’s Fed Minutes Spark Sell-Off? | Financial Sense
- Chart of the Day: Existing Home Sales | Financial Sense
- European Central Bank: Let Them Go Bankrupt! | ZeroHedge
- Try This Experiment Yourself... | ZeroHedge
- Hewlett-Packard: Value Trap or the Best Post-Memorial Day Buy? | iBankCoin.com
- Despite 'Promises', Japanese Market Chaos Continues | ZeroHedge
- Greek Prostitution Soars By 150% As Youth Unempoyment Hits 75% In Some Areas | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Goldman Sachs Is Now The Most Bullish Broker On Wall Street | Business Insider
- There's Been A Big Drop In People Who... | Business Insider
- TRIUMPH: McDonald's Has Created Its Highest Calorie Menu Item Ever | Business Insider
- INITIAL JOBLESS CLAIMS FALL TO 340,000 | Business Insider
- Samsung's Galaxy S4 Is The Fastest Selling Android Phone... | Business Insider
- OBAMA: Here's When It's Okay To Kill An American Citizen... | Business Insider
- The 5 Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week: May 24 | TheStreet.com