Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- After Golfing, Obama Holds Late Ebola Meeting - Guess Who Missed It (Again)! | ZeroHedge
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- Our New Robot Overlords & The Third Type Of Capital | ZeroHedge
- Plunging Oil Prices a Game-Changer for Major Pipeline Projects | Financial Sense
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- Markets & Ebola: Confusion, Containment, & Complexity | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Heavier to Start Week | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- In Mexico, codex exhibit rethinks Moctezuma's death | Business Insider
- Nepal rescuers find 34 more trekkers, 12 bodies... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Top 10 News for 10/13 - 10/... | StreetInsider.com
- Obama Dismisses Ebola 'Hysteria' | Business Insider
- REPORT: Fannie And Freddie Near Deal To Boost Mortgage... | Business Insider
- Ebola Is 'Jerking Us Back To The 19th Century' | Business Insider