Covered Call Picks (VHC,OCZ,VQ,NAV,WLT)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $23.66. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $6.27. Its 52 week range is between $4.14 and $10.05.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.27. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $13.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $24.6. Its 52 week range is $20.21 and $52.36.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $34.3. Its 52 week range is between $31.33 and $126.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- POLL: Are You Bullish or Bearish on the Markets? | iBankCoin.com
- Late Night Strategy for Monday | iBankCoin.com
- Lassonde: Gold Moving Sideways; Very Bullish on Natural Gas | Financial Sense
- Peak "Greatest Fool" | ZeroHedge
- The Secret World Of Gold | ZeroHedge
- The Next Shoe Just Dropped: Court Denies Attorney-Client Privilege | ZeroHedge
- Rise in Housing Starts Disappoint, Permits Fall | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: CSX KO SD | TheStreet.com
- This Military Robot Can Jump From The Sidewalk Onto A Roof | Business Insider
- After-... | StreetInsider.com
- Trading Radar for 04/11:... | StreetInsider.com
- Here Are The Weirdest Things You Can Buy On Alibaba... | Business Insider
- Ignore the Haters: Marissa Mayer Is Doing Incredibly Well at Yahoo! | TheStreet.com
- This Simple Infographic Will Help You Decide Between A Roth And Traditional IRA | Business Insider