Covered Call Picks (FIO,SODA,FMCN,LEAP,KORS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Fusion-io Inc (FIO) is currently trading at $19.49. Its 52 week range is between $14.9 and $41.74.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $40.57. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $73.44.
Focus Media Holding Ltd (FMCN) is currently trading at $19.83. Its 52 week range is between $8.79 and $32.93.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.22. Its 52 week range is $4.68 and $11.3.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $41.19. Its 52 week range is between $23.51 and $50.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dan Wantrobski on Why We're Not at a Market Top; Corrections Still Buying Opportunities | Financial Sense
- Building Explodes, Collapses In Manhattan, Multiple Injuries Reported - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Default Risk Soars After Ukraine's 'American' FinMin Suggests Severe Haircuts For Creditors (Including Russia) | ZeroHedge
- AIIB, SDRs, and the Yuan – Latest Developments | Financial Sense
- That Ain't No Margin Debt: THIS Is Margin Debt | ZeroHedge
- Active vs. Passive Redux | Financial Sense
- "Serious Depressive Episode" May Have Driven Germanwings Pilot To "Criminal, Mad, Suicidal" Action, Prosecutors Allege | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GameStop shares are getting whacked after earnings miss expectations (GME) | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank has a plan to turn itself into Goldman Sachs | Business Insider
- 12 surprising downsides of getting rich | Business Insider
- Brazil come from behind to down France | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- What Jeff Bezos did when this new Amazon employee... | Business Insider
- Here are the famous faces investing in hot new streaming app Meerkat | Business Insider