Covered Call Picks (FIO,SODA,FMCN,LEAP,KORS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Fusion-io Inc (FIO) is currently trading at $19.49. Its 52 week range is between $14.9 and $41.74.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $40.57. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $73.44.
Focus Media Holding Ltd (FMCN) is currently trading at $19.83. Its 52 week range is between $8.79 and $32.93.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.22. Its 52 week range is $4.68 and $11.3.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $41.19. Its 52 week range is between $23.51 and $50.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Guest Post: 10 Things I Hate About (You) Twitter Finance | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Worse For Brazil... | ZeroHedge
- WTI Extends Crash To 10% After API Inventories Surge Most In 5 Months | ZeroHedge
- Rigor Mortis Of The Robo-Machines | ZeroHedge
- BASELESS FABRIC OF A VISION | iBankCoin.com
- Two-Thirds Of Global PMIs Deteriorate In August | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Federer, Murray...and Kyrgios take centre-stage at US Open... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- 10 things you need to know in markets today | Business Insider
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence... | Business Insider
- World markets extend losses as China falters again | Business Insider
- Pujols hits 35th home run as Angels take series from A's... | Business Insider
- 16 video games we can't wait to play in the near future | Business Insider