Covered Call Picks (FIO,SODA,FMCN,LEAP,KORS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Fusion-io Inc (FIO) is currently trading at $19.49. Its 52 week range is between $14.9 and $41.74.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $40.57. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $73.44.
Focus Media Holding Ltd (FMCN) is currently trading at $19.83. Its 52 week range is between $8.79 and $32.93.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.22. Its 52 week range is $4.68 and $11.3.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $41.19. Its 52 week range is between $23.51 and $50.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- LeTS #AskJPM AGaiN! | ZeroHedge
- Akward: After Bashing Cold Weather Excuses, Bank Of America Jumps On The "2nd Seasonal Adjustment" Bandwagon | ZeroHedge
- Is China Under The Skyscraper Curse? | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Computer Model Of The US Economy "Sees Little Slack" (And A Big Clue From Gartman) | ZeroHedge
- Fed Doesn't Rule Out June Liftoff As FOMC Minutes Show Fed Fears Post-Hike Volatility, Dollar Drag | ZeroHedge
- The Market's One-Sided Game Of Chicken | ZeroHedge
- Zappos CEO Pushes "100% Weird" Boss-less Model After Employee Exodus | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- The world's economic growth is on a knife edge because of booming... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- 12 of the worst economic... | Business Insider
- Qatar's pearl divers seek tradition and riches | Business Insider
- 12 online courses to take if you want to get rich | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, CSCO) | Business Insider