Covered Call Picks (FIO,SODA,FMCN,LEAP,KORS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Fusion-io Inc (FIO) is currently trading at $19.49. Its 52 week range is between $14.9 and $41.74.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $40.57. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $73.44.
Focus Media Holding Ltd (FMCN) is currently trading at $19.83. Its 52 week range is between $8.79 and $32.93.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.22. Its 52 week range is $4.68 and $11.3.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $41.19. Its 52 week range is between $23.51 and $50.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Guest Post: Is US Losing The New Cold War? | ZeroHedge
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet for Dealing With Haters | Altucher Confidential
- A Divergence Among Nasdaq 100 Stocks | Financial Sense
- ALieN 2014... | ZeroHedge
- "Stolen Passport" Passenger On Missing Malaysian Airlines Jet Identified | ZeroHedge
- Ken Rogoff: Is This As Good As It Gets For This Generation? | ZeroHedge
- Can the Rally in Global Commodities Be Sustained? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 25-Year Timeline Of The World Wide Web | Business Insider
- The Bitcoin Middle Ground That Nobody Wants To Hear | Business Insider
- Lena Dunham Offers 'SNL' Cast Sex Advice During Opening... | Business Insider
- This Is Steve Ballmer's Favorite Thing About Being Wealthy (MSFT) | Business Insider
- A New Book Examines The World’s Love-Hate... | Business Insider
- Here's The Mind-Blowing Cosmic Calendar From Tonight's Cosmos Premiere | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek