Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WTF White House Statement Of The Day: Syria Airstrikes Edition | ZeroHedge
- The Real Threat | ZeroHedge
- Feeling Worthless? The 10 Majors Most Likely To Lead To Underemployment | ZeroHedge
- Iraq and Syria Follow Lebanon’s Precedent | Financial Sense
- JPMorgan Sees 50% Chance Of ECB QE By Year-End, Will Ease More Next Week | ZeroHedge
- Arms Trade Treaty: What Is It And Why Does It Matter? | ZeroHedge
- Is China’s Economy Too Big to Transform? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook Clears The Air About Its Messenger App, Which A Lot Of People Are... | Business Insider
- Tech Disruption Will Create New Winners And Losers In The Massive... | Business Insider
- Cramer: This Is a Game of Chicken | TheStreet.com
- See What Has Become Of 8 Olympic Host Cities After The Games Left Town | Business Insider
- Wilshere expects Arsenal to finish off Besiktas | Business Insider
- Kate Bush returns to stage after 35 years | Business Insider
- Long-term Gaza ceasefire goes into effect | Business Insider