Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Guess Who Wasn't Shorting Treasurys | ZeroHedge
- "We Have Everything Under Control" | ZeroHedge
- A Caliph In A Wilderness Of Mirrors | ZeroHedge
- Blood Red From Big Blue: Why IBM Is Crashing, In Charts | ZeroHedge
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- The Crowded "Long-Dollar" Train Just Got Even More Crowded | ZeroHedge
- How to Link Australian Iron With Marine le Pen | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE DRONES REPORT: Commercial Aerial Drones Are Becoming A... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- How To Get An Hour Of Ad-Free Music On Pandora For $0 | Business Insider
- The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State | Business Insider
- REPORT: Fannie And Freddie Near Deal To Boost Mortgage... | Business Insider
- Dubai's New Supercar Ambulance Can Go 160 MPH | Business Insider