Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Deflation? The Price Of Ground Beef Has Doubled Since The Last Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Steve Keen Exclaims "The Fed Has Not Learnt Anything From The Crisis" | ZeroHedge
- Big Four Economic Indicators Weaken – Weather or Recession? | Financial Sense
- Wages Around The World | ZeroHedge
- The Final Four is Set | iBankCoin.com
- The Death of Hope and Belief | ZeroHedge
- Here's Which Emerging Markets Are Most Vulnerable To "External Shock" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Arab world's poorest country is... | Business Insider
- Crash co-pilot's personality 'serious lead... | Business Insider
- It's going to take a much bigger lawsuit than Ellen Pao's to fight sexism... | Business Insider
- Doing your last-minute taxes will be less miserable with TurboTax [up to 39% off] | Business Insider
- Greece seeks 'happy ending' as creditors mull loan... | Business Insider
- Banking behemoths are getting outmatched by Wall... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek