Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The World's Most Crowded Trade | ZeroHedge
- Chart(s) Of The Day: A Decade Of GDP Revisions | ZeroHedge
- Our Totalitarian Future - Part 2 | ZeroHedge
- Winding Roads | iBankCoin.com
- Treasury Yields Rise Most In 9 Months, Weak 7 Year Auction Does Not Help | ZeroHedge
- Italian Police Grab $150 Million Assets From Nomura For Defrauding Government | ZeroHedge
- Argentine Bonds Soar To Record Highs As Hope Rules (For Now) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Tricks To Instantly Appear Competent | Business Insider
- DENNIS GARTMAN: Exploding Chicken Chain Shares Stink Of A Stock Market Top (LOCO) | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 5 Brilliant Strategies That Make Honda One Of The World's Most Innovative... | Business Insider
- CFA Exam Results Are Out And Most People Are Finding Out They Failed | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Alibaba Is Selling A Knockoff Version Of Jeff Koons' $58 Million 'Balloon... | Business Insider