Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Wall Street Responds To China's QE: Beijing Finds Lack Of Faith Disturbing | ZeroHedge
- Gold Demand In India Triples As China Launches Global Gold Bourse Tomorrow | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen's "Double-Dissent, Exit Strategy" FOMC Press Conference - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Preparing For All Out Iraq War: Joint Chiefs Of Staff Back US Troops In Combat "If Necessary" | ZeroHedge
- ISIS Releases New Video, Warns "Fighting Has Just Begun" | ZeroHedge
- Four Places That Could Become Water Conflict Zones | Financial Sense
- Newsflash To Fed: 122 Billion Bottles Of Beer On The Wall Is About Asset Bubbles, Not Jobs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Minnesota Governor Calls For Vikings To Suspend Adrian Peterson... | Business Insider
- HEDGE FUND MANAGERS REACT: CalPERS Was Just Terrible At Picking Hedge Funds | Business Insider
- Fresh travel disruption as Air France pilots extend... | Business Insider
- NFL players union appeals Rice assault suspension | Business Insider
- Two Decades After Escaping The Wars In Yugoslavia, This... | Business Insider
- Liverpool return sets Champions League battle underway | Business Insider
- Why the Fed Should Hold Off Signaling Higher Rates for Now | TheStreet.com