Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Financial Times Demands End Of Cash, Calls It A "Barbarous Relic" | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The Donald Exposed (A Reality Check For Trumpeteers) | ZeroHedge
- Zulauf and Chandler on Currency Wars, Banking Crises, and Stock Market | Financial Sense
- BREAK SOME NECKS INTO THE BELL | iBankCoin.com
- HuNTeR LuVS ASHLeY... | ZeroHedge
- Why The Recurring Economic Crises? | ZeroHedge
- The Central Bankers’ Malodorous War On Savers | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Deliberations begin in New Hampshire prep school rape... | Business Insider
- Tidal trolled Apple during a live Drake performance | Business Insider
- A startup launches next month that delivers grilled cheese... | Business Insider
- GOP candidate Trump to offer plan to overhaul US tax code... | Business Insider
- Americans made and spent more in July (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM) | Business Insider
- African superstars, Bono in campaign to empower women | Business Insider
- Facebook is leading the way in social commerce | Business Insider