Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Patient" - What's In A Word? | ZeroHedge
- Global Oil Glut Could Further Depress Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: The Moment Mario Draghi Gets Heckled, "You're Biased..." | ZeroHedge
- How Long Will Markets Ignore This Trend This Time? | ZeroHedge
- SaVinG PRiVaTe EmaiLS | ZeroHedge
- QE Inventor: It’s EASY to Create a Full-Blown Recovery, But Central Banks Chose to Make Banksters Rich Instead ... | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns Snow May Leads To Lower Jobs Number, But Snowstorms Will Result In Higher Wages | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Apple Watch may have a mysterious port that could solve its biggest problem (AAPL) | Business Insider
- The EU could introduce tough new restrictions on drone ownership | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Skeleton statue unveiled in London's Trafalgar Square | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's why this Texas Republican's dreams to send people to a star... | Business Insider
- What on Earth is SpaceX doing at a video game conference? | Business Insider