Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Last Time Oil Speculators Were This 'Long', Crude Collapsed | ZeroHedge
- Elizabeth Warren At Risk Of Losing Her Senate Seat In 2018, New Poll Shows | ZeroHedge
- Russian Warplanes Fly First Joint Mission With US-Coalition Aircraft Kremlin Says, Pentagon Denies | ZeroHedge
- OPEC Praises Production Cuts, Reveals No Penalties For Violators As Deal Skepticism Rises | ZeroHedge
- ECRI Weekly Leading Index: "Disentangling Cyclical from Structural" | Financial Sense
- Martin Armstrong on Capital Flows, Market Bubbles, and the Road Ahead | Financial Sense
- Netanyahu, Trump To Talk By Phone Sunday; May Announce Move Of US Embassy To Jerusalem | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Science says parents of unsuccessful kids could have these 6 things in... | Business Insider
- White House says Trump has resigned from his businesses | Business Insider
- The US just put China on notice with F-35s in the Pacific — but China may be... | Business Insider
- Iraqi forces are gearing up for the final stage in the... | Business Insider
- Google says every new Chromebook will work with Android apps from... | Business Insider
- An accountant explains how to tell if you can afford... | Business Insider
- Silicon Valley billionaires are preparing for the apocalypse with... | Business Insider