Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Disillusioned Democrats & The Demise Of Democracy In America | ZeroHedge
- Explaining Bernie-Conomics Using Two Beers | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Shrug As USDJPY, Crude, PMs Slide After Disappointing GDP Print | ZeroHedge
- "You Are Redefining Yourself As A Comic-Book Villain" - Nick Denton's Open Letter To Peter Thiel | ZeroHedge
- Trump Decides He Won't Debate Bernie, Says "Inappropriate To Debate Second Place Finisher" | ZeroHedge
- Friday Humor: "Wesley's Boobie Trap" Replaces Strippers With Robots | ZeroHedge
- China's Credit-Fuelled Economy Is "Gyrating Like A Spinning-Top That's Out Of Momentum" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Humanity's most ancient cultural sites are... | Business Insider
- Pizza Hut just signaled a terrifying reality for fast-food workers | Business Insider
- Donald Trump just trolled all the people who predicted he'd lose | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Warriors fend off elimination, forcing Game 6 against... | Business Insider
- EX-UNDERCOVER DEA AGENT: What I did when drug dealers asked me to try... | Business Insider
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider