Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Nobody Knows Who's Paying For The Privately Funded Democratic National Convention | ZeroHedge
- Democrats Hacked Again: FBI Probing "Cyber Intrusion" At Fundraising Group | ZeroHedge
- Fund Managers at Highest Cash Levels in 14 Years | Financial Sense
- M&A Rush Continues: Oracle Buys "Very First Cloud Company" NetSuite For $9.3 Billion | ZeroHedge
- Facebook Soars After Smashing Expectations: The Quarter In Charts | ZeroHedge
- Gold Jumps Most Since Brexit As 'Hawkish' Fed Sparks Dovish Bond Buying Spree | ZeroHedge
- Pending Home Sales Disappoint, Realtors Fear Unhealthy Price Appreciation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- MTV is reviving all of your favorite old shows on a new channel | Business Insider
- A man who studied rich people for 5 years pinpointed a 15-minute daily habit... | Business Insider
- The US smart home... | Business Insider
- These are the 9 things Amazon's Echo can do that impressed me the most | Business Insider
- Former NFL great Warren Sapp was bitten in the arm by a shark while trying to catch... | Business Insider
- This New York museum has a pool of sprinkles that's three feet deep | Business Insider
- The 20 best movies on Amazon Prime you've probably never heard of | Business Insider