Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How A Major Bank "Calculated" That 20x P/E Is Now "Fair Value" | ZeroHedge
- Which Nation Do Americans See As Their Greatest Enemy (Spoiler Alert: It's Not Russia) | ZeroHedge
- Visualizing The Stunning Truth About How Students Are Spending Loan Cash | ZeroHedge
- F-15s Cause Sonic Boom Over Palm Beach In Scramble To Intercept Unresponsive Aircraft | ZeroHedge
- The Cancer Of War: U.S. Admits To Using Radioactive Munitions In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Why Global GDP Is Converging Towards 1% | Financial Sense
- THE GREAT PRECIOUS METALS MARKET DISCONNECT: A Ticking Time Bomb | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How state attorneys general could take down Trump | Business Insider
- Here's how to access the iPhone's hidden mode that turns the camera into a... | Business Insider
- Here is every single Pokémon currently in Pokémon Go | Business Insider
- The US dollar is becoming a problem | Business Insider
- The 21 best science movies and shows streaming on Netflix that will... | Business Insider
- New York and San Francisco are the 2 most expensive... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek