Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Larry Summers Warns on Fed Rate Hikes | Financial Sense
- Zimbabwe's Gold Mines On Verge Of Collapse Due To Low Bullion Prices | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Treasury Issuance Concludes With Weaker 7 Year Auction | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Is "Pressing" Obama For $3 Billion In Financial Aid | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Collapse To 15 Year Lows But Shale States Job Losses Explode | ZeroHedge
- Oil Hasn't Been This 'Cheap' Since 1988 | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Is Wandering Off Track | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Budweiser Is Hoping This Cute Follow Up To Its ‘Puppy Love’ Ad Will Win The Super... | Business Insider
- One Of The World's Best Bond Managers Has Lost $3 Billion... | Business Insider
- This Tech Platform Is Allowing Brands To Scale Native Advertising In A Big Way | Business Insider
- The 10 Things We're Most Excited To See From... | Business Insider
- Two Senators Have Proposed A Tax Holiday Tech... | Business Insider
- Qualcomm Shares Plunge After It Admits... | Business Insider
- 'Aussies out' -- Asian Cup hosts hit by shock AFC... | Business Insider