Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greeks Flood Syntagma Square To Celebrate "No" Vote | ZeroHedge
- Australia’s Housing Bubble: Myth, or Ticking Time Bomb? | Financial Sense
- Now’s Really Not the Time for a Liquidity Crisis | Financial Sense
- Greeks Vote “No” In Razor Thin 60/40 BLOWOUT | iBankCoin.com
- "The US Needs War Every 4 Years To Maintain Economic Growth" | ZeroHedge
- Greeks Vote In "Holy Moment" - Live Updates | ZeroHedge
- The Surprising Demise of Reddit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The story of Yamaha should terrify HP, Dell, Cisco, and anybody else who sells... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Here's the inspiring fan letter Steven Spielberg sent The Rock | Business Insider
- Shanghai stocks leap 7.82% at open on government boosts | Business Insider
- Back in 2000, the CIA made 8 predictions on what life would be like in 2015 | Business Insider
- The World Bank deleted a section of a report that slammed the... | Business Insider
- Arnold Schwarzenegger fought with James... | Business Insider