Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed's Computer Model Of The US Economy "Sees Little Slack" (And A Big Clue From Gartman) | ZeroHedge
- Overheard In The FX Rigging "Cartel" Chatroom: "Mess This Up And Sleep With One Eye Open | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Has Created A "Clockwork Orange" Market | ZeroHedge
- Former Fed Governor Says Fed Lost Credibility To "Stay On Top Of Ticking Monetary Bomb" | ZeroHedge
- Things Are About To Get Real KOLORful | iBankCoin.com
- In India, Gold Is Not Only Money But Now Pays Interest | ZeroHedge
- Portugal's "Left-Wing" Forces Threaten Troika Revolt | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Apple accidentally broke an Apple Watch feature with... | Business Insider
- We're getting to know just how different ISIS is from al Qaeda | Business Insider
- 20 books to read this summer that will make you smarter about business | Business Insider
- This $1 billion Swedish payment company thinks it can save... | Business Insider
- Myanmar navy carries out first rescue of migrant boat... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek