Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Eyes On Yellen: Global Markets Flat On Dreadful Volumes, Oil Slides | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap May 25, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- Meet The Syrian Al-Qaeda Linked Rebel Who Freely Visited America Last Year | ZeroHedge
- UMich Consumer Confidence Fades From Early May Exuberance, Inflation Expectations Slump To Record Lows | ZeroHedge
- A Spirit Of Violence And Civil Unrest Is Rising In America | ZeroHedge
- Strong 7 Year Auction, Near-Record Indirect Bidders Concludes Weekly Issuance | ZeroHedge
- The New Millennial Dream: Make Over $200,000 And Retire At 90 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tim Cook's iPhone admission points to Apple's larger problem (AAPL... | Business Insider
- 15 things you should tell yourself every day | Business Insider
- I studied a year of Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh's schedule... | Business Insider
- Nest CEO Tony Fadell is making an electric go-kart for kids that parents can... | Business Insider
- This is about to be the best reason to switch from iPhone to Android (GOOG) | Business Insider
- A study says teens are spending nearly all their waking hours staring at screens | Business Insider
- This tiny implant is about to take on America’s heroin epidemic | Business Insider