Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- FHFA Reports Home Prices Rose At Fastest Pace In 30 Months | ZeroHedge
- Gold & Silver Surge Off Goldman's "Crucial Levels" | ZeroHedge
- The Fundamental Truth of the Market Matter | Financial Sense
- Has Deflation Been Defeated? | Financial Sense
- Look Out Troika, Portugal Names Socialist Antonio Costa Prime Minister | ZeroHedge
- Putin To Make Statement Over Downed Warplane: Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Experts See Low Oil Prices for Decades to Come as US Shale Boom Goes Global | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is America's new $13 billion warship | Business Insider
- Suspect dead after shooting kills 3 in Ohio, injures 4th | Business Insider
- Google gets 348,085 'forget' requests in Europe | Business Insider
- The US government spent more than $20 billion on a certain kind of drugs for seniors in a year... | Business Insider
- Video of a Chicago police officer firing 16 shots at a teenager has been released... | Business Insider
- Court: Sherri Shepherd can't get out of surrogacy... | Business Insider
- Here's when US markets are open and closed during each holiday in 2016 | Business Insider