Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Three Of The Four JPMorgan "Market Bottom" Indicators Are All Flashing "Oversold" Green | ZeroHedge
- Early Q3 Earnings Not Driving the Market | Financial Sense
- China CCTV News Previews The 4th Plenary Session Of The Communist Party In Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Anyone for a Deep Fried Apple Burrito? | iBankCoin.com
- The Tragedy Of NATO: "Beware Foreign Entanglements" | ZeroHedge
- Latest Titanic Readings in Case of Iceberg | iBankCoin.com
- Euro Risk Due To Possible Return of Italy To Lira - Drachmas, Escudos, Pesetas and Punts? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fab CEO Reveals The Site Was Burning Through $14 Million Before Massive Layoffs... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs Now Has A Stock-Picking Model Inspired By The Stats Behind 'Moneyball... | Business Insider
- We Put The iPhone 6 Time-Lapse Video To The Test — Here's 6 Hours Of... | Business Insider
- Meet Wayfare, An App That Helps You Make Special... | Business Insider
- Antibiotics may help animals spread salmonella | Business Insider
- THE WEEK AHEAD: Apple Earnings, Twitter Tries To Win Back Developers (AAPL, AMZN, YHOO, MSFT, AMZN) | Business Insider
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts (HOT) Sells The... | StreetInsider.com