Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Taking The Monetary Policy Ride Into The Theater Of The Absurd | ZeroHedge
- Bottom in Oil and Energy Stocks Looks Suspicious | Financial Sense
- Stocks End Best Month Since Oct 2011 With A Whimper | ZeroHedge
- Stock Of The Year | iBankCoin.com
- How Much Crude Oil Do You Consume on a Daily Basis? | Financial Sense
- Was The Government Lying Then, Or Now? | ZeroHedge
- Grant Williams: Why The Smart Money Is So Nervous Now | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yasar Kemal, Turkey's literary giant, dies aged 92 | Business Insider
- Natural disasters used to be so much worse | Business Insider
- Uruguay's pot-friendly farmer president prepares... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett is endorsing one of the hottest startups on the planet | Business Insider
- Ton-up Root stars, Pakistan seek Zimbabwe boost... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett defends Berkshire's conglomerate structure — and... | Business Insider
- Red card mix-up as Rooney sends United third | Business Insider