Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- I Bought The $HABT | iBankCoin.com
- Oil Rebounds On Reports OPEC Will Cut Supply, Seek Stricter Compliance | ZeroHedge
- As the ‘Sanctions War’ Heats Up, Will Putin Play His Gold Card? | Financial Sense
- In Great Britain, Protecting Pedophile Politicians Is A Matter Of "National Security" | ZeroHedge
- American Spring Night 2: Coast-To-Coast Protests, "We Have Every Right To Destroy A System That Seeks To Destroy Us" | ZeroHedge
- Another Hedge Fund Legend Calls It Quits: Phil Falcone Leaves Harbinger Group, Gets $20.5 Million Severance | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap November 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon Fires Back At An Ex-Employee Who Is Planning A Hunger Strike Outside Its Seattle... | Business Insider
- Women not equal to men: Turkey's Erdogan | Business Insider
- The First 'Jurassic World' Trailer Reveals The Dinosaur Theme Park Of Our... | Business Insider
- German industrial output rebounds in September | Business Insider
- Nate Silver Released His New College Football Playoff Odds — And UCLA... | Business Insider
- Here's One Reason Why iCloud Has Been Such A Mess (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Millennials Are Switching Off TV In Favor Of ... BuzzFeed | Business Insider