Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Baltimore 'Freddie Gray' Demonstrations Turn Violent: Police Cars Smashed, Stores Looted, Multiple Arrests - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Overview Of Our Energy Modeling Problem | ZeroHedge
- Crude Drops After US Rig Count Decline Extends To Record 20 Weeks | ZeroHedge
- America's Drone-Death Outrage (Summarized In 1 Awkward Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Lives In The Past | ZeroHedge
- The Fate of The Tech Bubble Is In The Hands Of Just One Company | ZeroHedge
- Presenting De-Dollarization In One Simple Map | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Australia fears worst for drug traffickers in Indonesia | Business Insider
- Scared to stay inside, Nepal quake victims treated in... | Business Insider
- Clashes rage in Yemen as calls for peace talks grow | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Volvo has installed a luxury lounge in its new XC90 SUV | Business Insider
- Here's the first photo of Jared Leto as the Joker | Business Insider
- Armenia marks emotional centenary of Ottoman massacres | Business Insider