Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- RBOB Tumbles After Lower Than Expected Gasoline Draw | ZeroHedge
- Google’s DeepMind Wants to Enter the Grid | Financial Sense
- The Transformation Of Our Nation Into A Surveillance State Is Almost Complete | ZeroHedge
- This Guy Has Eight Passports | ZeroHedge
- March Consumer Confidence Highest Since 2000 | Financial Sense
- Questions Grow Over Devin Nunes' Mystery White House Visit | ZeroHedge
- Shell's New Permian Play Profitable At $20 A Barrel | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How rural millennials engage in politics differently from those in urban areas... | Business Insider
- Howard University is opening a campus at Google headquarters to get more black engineers in tech (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Republicans are going to have to drop the 'fiscal... | Business Insider
- Israeli companies are going to set up a Latin American... | Business Insider
- Netanyahu vows to work with Trump on peace deal between Israel and Palestine | Business Insider
- 'They make our nation less safe': Sessions... | Business Insider
- The movie business is in big trouble, and studios are scrambling to figure out the... | Business Insider