Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Short the Old Autos | iBankCoin.com
- Beware International Financialization and Global Dirigisme | ZeroHedge
- PBoC Joins Other Major Central Banks With Unconventional Monetary Policy Action | Financial Sense
- Can Gold Finally Recover? | Financial Sense
- Where The Housing "Recovery" Is, In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Pentagon Prepares To Unveil Syria War Plans As "Broad Coalition" Crumbles | ZeroHedge
- This Is What Happens When Goldman Writes The Central Banker Script | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- BARRON'S: Bank Of America Shares Are Going To $25 (BAC) | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- 'Interminable' Air France strike enters second week | Business Insider
- Here's How Much You Need To Make To Be In The Top 1% In Your State | Business Insider
- This Is The Hardest Riddle On The Internet | Business Insider
- Everything We Know About The Mysterious Fake Cell Towers Across The US That Could Be... | Business Insider
- New York gears up for historic climate march | Business Insider