Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Warns US Companies There Will Be "Consequences" For Outsourcing Jobs | ZeroHedge
- "A Generation That Has Never Been Told 'No'" Daniel Hannan Destroys Anti-Trump Protestors' Safe Spaces | ZeroHedge
- Fake News: Newsweek Admits They Didn't Write Or Even Read "Madam President" Issue | ZeroHedge
- Story ... A Letter From Hank Fellerman To Bill Murphy | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Treasury Secretary Pick Is A Lucky Man... Very Lucky | ZeroHedge
- Do 1901 Expedition Logbooks Confirm There Is No Global Warming? | ZeroHedge
- Indian ‘Gold Ban’ a Portent of Major Events? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What to do first with your holiday bonus | Business Insider
- THE SMARTWATCH REPORT: Forecasts, adoption trends,... | Business Insider
- It’s not hard to see why Fitbit is phasing Pebble out | Business Insider
- Working a 9-5 job, buying a home, and... | Business Insider
- Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is stepping down ($SBUX) | Business Insider
- Tech stocks plunged on Thursday (FB, GOOG, GOOGL, BABA,... | Business Insider
- This beautiful village of affordable cottages might be the best place to retire... | Business Insider