Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The End Game Of Bubble Finance - Political Revolt | ZeroHedge
- Nike Tumbles To August 2015 Levels After Missing On Revenue, Future Orders, Margin Decline | ZeroHedge
- 16 Reasons To Celebrate Brexit's Win | ZeroHedge
- "Helpless In The Face Of British Chaos" - What French And German Newspapers Are Saying Today | ZeroHedge
- CCTV Camera Captures Moment Of Istanbul Airport Explosion As Suicide Attacker Blows Himself Up | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index: Decrease in May | Financial Sense
- Gun Salesman-In-Chief: 52,600 Weapons Sold Daily Under Obama Admin | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Kazakhstan is building a futuristic city to host the 2017 World Expo — here's a closer... | Business Insider
- Tragic new photos of the devastating wildfires ravaging California | Business Insider
- This Suzuki is the perfect bike for new riders | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett once proposed a 4th Law of Motion to explain the pitfalls of active management | Business Insider
- Police decried this confrontation as 'a disgusting display of abuse' —... | Business Insider
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider
- Lyft has hired a top banking firm — and it could point to a sale | Business Insider