Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- And The Options Market Breaks (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Why Economics Matters | ZeroHedge
- Europe Rethinks the Schengen Agreement | Financial Sense
- In Dramatic Escalation, China Sends Five Navy Ships Off Alaska Coast For First Time Ever | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Surge As ECB Expands QE Monetization Limits, Boost Purchase Threshold From 25% to 33% Per Issue | ZeroHedge
- Exposing The Lie Behind The "Strong Jobs Recovery" In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Suddenly The Bank Of Japan Has An Unexpected Problem On Its Hands | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IS blows up tower tombs at Syria's Palmyra:... | Business Insider
- Amateur paleontologist finds rare fossil of fish in... | Business Insider
- Internet connectivity is driving the biggest in-car... | Business Insider
- Climate negotiators 'frustrated' over snail's pace | Business Insider
- 'True Detective' creator says the demanding director... | Business Insider
- Killer T-cell therapy shows promise against leukemia | Business Insider
- Here's the trailer for the BBC's upcoming drama about '... | Business Insider