Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- I’ve Seen the Future. I’ve Seen the Future | iBankCoin.com
- Global Economies Will Dictate Rate Hike Timing | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: Why Monetizing Debt Could End In Revolutions | ZeroHedge
- Every One Wants Dollars (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Least Transparent Ever: Obama Fighting to Prevent Release Of CIA Torture Report | ZeroHedge
- More Good News for Employment | Financial Sense
- Only in America: Snow Looters Pillage A Dorito's Truck | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What Men Fantasize About | Business Insider
- The 13 Best Custom iPhones Money Can Buy (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Australia beat South Africa, win ODI series 4-1 | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Awkward LeBron James Anecdote Shows How Screwed Up The Cavs Are Right... | Business Insider
- New Kerry, Zarif meeting in Iran nuclear talks: US | Business Insider
- No Country Comes Close To Buying Back Stock Like The US | Business Insider