Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
- Europarliament President Threatens Greeks With Armageddon If They Vote No | ZeroHedge
- More Sellside Reactions To The Greek Referendum | ZeroHedge
- A Look at Greek Contagion Risk | Financial Sense
- Eurogroup In Shock: Finance Ministers "Would Not Know What To Discuss" After Greferendum Stunner | ZeroHedge
- GREEKALYPSE NOW | iBankCoin.com
- NYSE Margin Debt: A 1.6% Decline From Last Month's Record High | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Egypt looks set to approve disputed anti-terror law | Business Insider
- Syria rebels battle regime in Aleppo operation | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton weighed in on a heartbreaking viral... | Business Insider
- Williams sisters star at Wimbledon on manic Monday | Business Insider
- German Greipel wins Tour de France second stage | Business Insider
- The coolest science guys on YouTube predict the next big discoveries —... | Business Insider