Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap July 11, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Five Stocks Chugging Along Today | iBankCoin.com
- Epic Portugal Damage Control To Preserve Bank Confidence: BES Resumes Trading, Surges Then Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- Germany Instructs Its Companies To Limit Cooperation, Procurement Orders With The US | ZeroHedge
- Did China Just Crush The US Housing Market? | ZeroHedge
- A U.S. Recession Is Unlikely | Financial Sense
- Q2 GDP Hopes Fade As Wholesale Inventories Miss By Most In 2014 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Family Dollar CEO Offers An Ominous Insight About His Customers | Business Insider
- Doing This One Thing Doubles Your Chances Of Getting Promoted | Business Insider
- 'Fast And Furious 7' Releases Candid Message To Fans After Finishing... | Business Insider
- The Surprising Benefits Of Being Superstitious | Business Insider
- The 35 Most Powerful Militaries In The World | Business Insider
- Business Insider Is Now Hiring Paid Fall Interns | Business Insider
- HBO Completely Blew Its Chance To Air ‘Breaking Bad’ | Business Insider