Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Democrats Skewer Trump With Barrage Of "Burns" Which He Brushes Off As "Empty Rhetoric" | ZeroHedge
- Bernie Sanders Leaves The Democratic Party | ZeroHedge
- Monte Paschi Fails European "Stress Test" Meant To Restore Confidence In Europe's Struggling Banks | ZeroHedge
- S&P Warns of Rising Global Default Wave | Financial Sense
- Gold Bullion Up 1.6%, Silver Surges 3.7% After Poor U.S. Data and Dovish Fed | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: How the US Recovery Stacks Up | Financial Sense
- What Now? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Astronomers are trying to do the... | Business Insider
- The top 7 predictions for the future of media | Business Insider
- 'Unique, strange, and terrible' — ISIS may have created a new type of bomb | Business Insider
- The 20 best songs to wake you up in the morning, according to Spotify | Business Insider
- A massive solar storm could pose a 'large-scale threat' to the fate of the... | Business Insider
- A deadly wildfire in central California has... | Business Insider
- THE DRONES REPORT: Market forecasts, regulatory barriers, top vendors, and... | Business Insider