Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Today’s Hybrid Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Brief Overview from my Perch | iBankCoin.com
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- "Good News" Spikes USD & Bond Yields (But Bullion Bid?) | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are Having Their Worst Day In A Month | ZeroHedge
- Europe Fines 8 Banks €1.7 Billion For Rate Rigging In Largest Ever Cartel Penalty In History | ZeroHedge
- The Wisdom Of Looking Like An Idiot Today | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Why Polyvore Employees Give Away Their Bonuses | Business Insider
- After... | StreetInsider.com
- 11 Of Twitter Co-Founder Jack Dorsey's Favorite Things You Can Buy Online | Business Insider
- One Major Screwup Could Get The Guardian In Trouble Over Snowden Leaks | Business Insider
- NBA Game In Mexico City Evacuated Because Of A Fire In... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek