Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- Kill The Shorts | iBankCoin.com
- Russian Ruble Soars Over 5% (Swings Most Since 1998) On Intervention, Rate-Hike Rumors | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buy: $SLCA | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap October 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- New American Dream: Rented Housing and Public Transit | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOLD BREAKS $1,200 | Business Insider
- Wawrinka and Raonic advance at Paris Masters | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer on Technology Stocks: Trust Facebook, Here's Why | TheStreet.com
- Myanmar president opens unprecedented talks with Suu... | Business Insider
- Judge Hands Down Potentially Crushing Ruling Against Donald Trump In... | Business Insider
- NOPE: People Are Getting Rejected Hundreds Of Millions Of Times On Tinder Every Day | Business Insider
- Kevin Spacey: Netflix Made A LOT Of Money On 'House Of Cards' (NFLX) | Business Insider