Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- While Presidential Election Takes Focus, US Economy Slips Further | Financial Sense
- Equity Risk Tumbles As Trump Closes Gap On Clinton | ZeroHedge
- The Secrets Of Self-Employment: Overhead And Capital Accumulation | ZeroHedge
- Are You Ready? | ZeroHedge
- Austria Sells €2 Billion In 70 Year Bonds, Pushes Global Duration Risk To Record High | ZeroHedge
- German Ammunition Sales Skyrocket Tenfold In First Half Of 2016 | ZeroHedge
- 5 Negative Factors For Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I’ve written about a lot of great tech, but these are the gadgets I use every day | Business Insider
- RAOUL PAL ON US ELECTION: 'Volatility is way too low' | Business Insider
- Former US Navy captain: Brace for more Iranian-backed attacks against the US | Business Insider
- Slack's growth could be slowing because of what made it attractive in the first... | Business Insider
- Here's how much of the population is considered middle class in 15 major US cities — and what they earn | Business Insider
- Apple Watch sales are in freefall (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Scientists claim they’ve solved what makes the Bermuda Triangle so deadly... | Business Insider