Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why China Is Really Dictating The Oil Supply Glut | ZeroHedge
- Puerto Rico Says Will Default Tomorrow, Begs Congress For Help "Or Else Crisis Will Get Worse" | ZeroHedge
- Candidates Confirm: No Crash This Year | Financial Sense
- "If..." | ZeroHedge
- Two Charts Showing How Dazed And Confused Hedge Fund Traders Currently Are | ZeroHedge
- Was The Fed Just Given The Launch Codes? | ZeroHedge
- Warning: Hawkishness Ahead | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The FBI is hunting for a man who poured suspicious liquid on Whole... | Business Insider
- Amazon earnings reveal the continued... | Business Insider
- The euro crossed 1.1500 for the first time since August — here's what's happening in FX | Business Insider
- We tried Lululemon's 'anti-ball-crushing pants' to see if... | Business Insider
- 7 signs you can't afford to buy a home | Business Insider
- MoneyGram edges closer to digital targets | Business Insider
- Here's what your body language says about you in a job... | Business Insider