Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Charting The Diminishing Effects Of QE | ZeroHedge
- Rocky Mountain High | ZeroHedge
- Russia-China Launch Biggest Central Asian Military Drill, Testing Surface-To-Air Missiles | ZeroHedge
- When Headline Scanning Algos Get Crushed By A Wrong Bloomberg Headline | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Retail Sales Flat in July, Autos Sales Decline | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- More Evidence That Amazon's Fire Phone Is A Flop (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Twitter Has Changed A Core Function Of How Twitter Works — And Users Are... | Business Insider
- Here's A 10-Second Guide To What Traders Are Talking About Today | Business Insider
- Here's Why Investors Find This Japanese Airline So... | Business Insider
- 5 Stocks Jumping on Unusual Volume | TheStreet.com