Energy Covered Call Picks (KOG,MMR,ANR,BTU,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp (KOG) is currently trading at $8.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.59 and $10.9.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $13.16. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $7.12. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.15.
Peabody Energy Corp (BTU) is currently trading at $22.96. Its 52 week range is $18.78 and $50.24.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $19.06. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $33.87.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Invest in Food | ZeroHedge
- How Strong Will The Next Precious Metals Rally Be? | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Drop Back Below Dreaded "300k" Level | ZeroHedge
- CSX Cuts Outlook Despite CEO Saying "Expects No Impact From Low Oil Prices" | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
- "Wall of Money" Hitting Market Before 2016-2017 Global Crisis | Financial Sense
- Meet The "Surveillance State Repeal Act" – A Bipartisan Bill To Kill The Patriot Act | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider
- German consumer confidence just jumped to a 14-year high and Europe... | Business Insider
- Goldman's plan to take over Wall Street's commodities... | Business Insider
- Saudi strikes Yemen rebels as Iran warns of '... | Business Insider
- Ukraine's Russia debt threatens IMF rescue | Business Insider
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy's highest court | Business Insider