Covered Call Picks (NAVB,ALXA,VHC,OCZ,P)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NAVB||Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc||3.58||4||0.5||12.60%||September|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.82||4||0.4||10.50%||September|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.5||27||2.8||10.40%||September|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||4.84||5||0.5||10.30%||September|
|P||Pandora Media Inc||9.29||10||0.8||8.60%||September|
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.32. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.93.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $4.83. Its 52 week range is $4.14 and $10.05.
Pandora Media Inc (P) is currently trading at $9.3. Its 52 week range is between $7.83 and $15.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Unfolding Economic Crisis in Europe | Financial Sense
- Swiss Gold Initiative: Good Idea With Unintended Consequences | Financial Sense
- US Equities Give Back All PBOC Rate-Cut Gains | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Why Monetizing Debt Could End In Revolutions | ZeroHedge
- How Have Our Forecasts Played Out This Year? | Financial Sense
- Global Economies Will Dictate Rate Hike Timing | Financial Sense
- Markets Rally on Surprise Easing by China | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- All Blacks in quest to continue Wales domination | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- By The Time Europe Finally Gets Around To Breaking... | Business Insider
- A Major Long-Term Change In The Labor Market Is Bad News For The US Economy | Business Insider
- Jihadists launch major attack on Iraq's Ramadi | Business Insider
- Another Bizarre Detail Emerges About How Bill Cosby Was Allowed To Treat Young Women... | Business Insider
- Trouble in Casinoland: Caesars, Revel, Trump Entertainment Resorts | TheStreet.com