Covered Call Picks (NOK,WFR,NAV,ARNA,FB)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.75||3||0.3||9.50%||October|
|WFR||MEMC Electronic Materials Inc||2.77||3||0.3||9.40%||October|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25||26||2.3||9.00%||October|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||8.03||9||0.6||7.20%||October|
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.75. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
MEMC Electronic Materials Inc (WFR) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.44 and $7.26.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.04. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $8.03. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $20.01. Its 52 week range is between $19 and $45.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When Wall Street's Weathermen Begin To Panic | ZeroHedge
- Is the Death of the US Bull Market Imminent? | Financial Sense
- Dramatic Images From The Mount Everest Avalanche | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Market Soup | ZeroHedge
- Puerto Rico Warns Of Imminent Government Shutdown Due To "Liquidity Crisis" | ZeroHedge
- Luck and the Paradox of Skill | Financial Sense
- Inside The Fed's "Doomsday" Bunker | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- International rescuers, aid dispatched to Nepal quake | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- A former Navy captain just identified the biggest flaw in the US's... | Business Insider
- Magnitude 7.5 earthquake hits Nepal: USGS | Business Insider
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? The biggest NFL Draft busts ever | Business Insider
- Bitcoin regulation is coming to New York | Business Insider
- Here's how Apple plans to prevent 'DeformGate,... | Business Insider