Covered Call Picks (NOK,WFR,NAV,ARNA,FB)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.75||3||0.3||9.50%||October|
|WFR||MEMC Electronic Materials Inc||2.77||3||0.3||9.40%||October|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25||26||2.3||9.00%||October|
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||8.03||9||0.6||7.20%||October|
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.75. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
MEMC Electronic Materials Inc (WFR) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.44 and $7.26.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.04. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $8.03. Its 52 week range is $1.23 and $13.5.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $20.01. Its 52 week range is between $19 and $45.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe Opens $80 Trillion Shadow Banking Pandora's Box: Will Seek To Collapse Repo "Collateral Chains" | ZeroHedge
- The Housing UnRecovery Is Here: Architectural Billings Plunge Most Since 2008 | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Economy Enters Contraction With First Sub-50 PMI Print Since October | ZeroHedge
- The Rich Actually Are Different | ZeroHedge
- The Biggest Market Sell-Offs in History | ZeroHedge
- IRS' Lois Lerner Put On Involuntary Paid Vacation | ZeroHedge
- Fortune Belongs to the Bold | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Freelancers Will Change The Way We Collaborate In The Workplace | Business Insider
- The Best Restaurant In Los Angeles Is Providence | Business Insider
- The Illegal Street-Racing Story That Inspired The 'Fast And Furious... | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: The Long View Of Amazon (AMZN) | Business Insider
- 5 Important Economic Reports Are Coming | Business Insider
- Dicker: Natural Gas Is Going to $5 | TheStreet.com