Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap September 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Grossly Distorted Procedures: Mish Proposal to Raise GDP Calculation | Financial Sense
- Another Small Town Throwdown | iBankCoin.com
- The US Is Now 50% More Unequal Than Ancient Rome (And That Includes Slaves) | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela's "21st Century Socialism": Food Lines For The People, New Cars For The Military | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Pushes Higher | Financial Sense
- Chicago PMI Misses As New Orders & Production Slump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple Could Owe Over $8 Billion In Unpaid Taxes (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Ford Gets Crushed (F) | Business Insider
- Hong Kong protests: Live Report | Business Insider
- Google Is Planning Ads That Will Take Over The Entire Screen Of Your... | Business Insider
- Watch A... | Business Insider
- French public debt over 2.0 trillion euros for first time... | Business Insider
- It Was A Bad Weekend For Europe | Business Insider