Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Patrick Buchanan: At Last, America First! | ZeroHedge
- Consumer "Hope" Slumps As Inflation Expectations Hit Record Lows | ZeroHedge
- Let's Stop Pretending Nuclear Power Is Commercially Viable | ZeroHedge
- Oil's Latest Casualty: Saudi Binladin Group Fires 50,000, A Quarter Of Its Workforce | ZeroHedge
- BiLDeRBeRG NeWS... | ZeroHedge
- Head Of Deutsche Bank "Integrity Committee" Fired Due To "Overzealousness" | ZeroHedge
- The Cult Of Central Banking Is Dead In The Water | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Billionaire investor Chris Sacca told an amazing story about how obsessed Kobe Bryant... | Business Insider
- These are the tech gadgets you’ll want with you when you’re traveling... | Business Insider
- STOCKS SLIP: Here's what you need to know | Business Insider
- 17 items every man absolutely needs to have in his closet | Business Insider
- How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things | Business Insider
- Wells Fargo adds eye scanning technology to improve... | Business Insider
- Could you pass the test to become a US citizen? | Business Insider