Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Baltic Dry Index Collapses To 18-Month Lows; Worst July Since 1986 | ZeroHedge
- Overnight Futures Levitation Mode Engaged But Subdued | ZeroHedge
- Two-Thirds Of Chinese Consumers No Longer Trust Western Fast-Food As "Meat Scandal" Spreads Across Asia | ZeroHedge
- The Future Is Smaller - That's The Only Way This Works | ZeroHedge
- Mind the Fade | iBankCoin.com
- The Ambitious Plan To Break California Into 6 States – A Model For The Future? | ZeroHedge
- Euro Eases to New 2014 Lows | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Plug Power Stock Continues to Surge Today | TheStreet.com
- Smart TVs Are On Pace To Take Over The Entire TV Market | Business Insider
- Pershing Square's Herbalife Presentation: Live Blog | TheStreet.com
- The Best Universities In 35 Major Countries Around The Globe | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 07/... | StreetInsider.com
- Healthcare Premiums Would Absolutely Explode If Today's... | Business Insider