Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- As A Reminder, This Is What Capital Controls In Cyprus Looked Like | ZeroHedge
- Russia Is Taking Full Advantage Of Greek Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Citi Identifies Contagion "Trigger Point" For More ECB QE | ZeroHedge
- Deadlines Come and Go, Markets Endure | Financial Sense
- Ahead Of Dark ATMs, Import Shortages, Tsipras Goes Back To Brussels Begging For Bailout | ZeroHedge
- The First Post-Referendum Head Rolls: "Toxic" "Martyr" Yanis Varoufakis Resigns | ZeroHedge
- Four Drivers in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lee beats Hearn in playoff, Woods showing progress | Business Insider
- LeBron James reportedly won't talk to the Cavs until a... | Business Insider
- The US government just tested its cyber weapons in a series of war games | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (SPY, DIA, QQQ, SPX, AET, HUM, KHC, PM) | Business Insider
- Kainos' IPO will value the UK software company... | Business Insider
- An unlikely retailer is beating Victoria's Secret | Business Insider
- After the split, HP Enterprise will be forbidden from selling itself (HPQ) | Business Insider