Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Complacency Is Creeping Back Into The Stock Market | ZeroHedge
- Its 2007 Deja Vu All Over Again: Goldman Is Raising $8 Billion LBO Fund | ZeroHedge
- Will Brexit Put the Bond Bull Out to Pasture? | Financial Sense
- Stoeferle: Helicopter Money Coming and It Will Boost Gold Market to New Highs | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Is Confused By Elon Musk's Master Plan - "Credibility Is Challenged... How Do They Fund It?" | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reason Pharma Companies Hate Medical Marijuana (Spoiler Alert: It Works) | ZeroHedge
- Trump vs Clinton: How Will Energy Fare? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- After being sued, Samsung hits back at Huawei with its own $... | Business Insider
- The world in photos this week | Business Insider
- Peter Thiel prompts wild applause at GOP convention: 'I am proud to be gay. I am... | Business Insider
- What extreme heat does to your body and brain | Business Insider
- The most important step to take to get out of debt is something most people don... | Business Insider
- Most of the universe may be trapped inside of ancient black holes | Business Insider
- 'The Walking Dead' just premiered the first season 7 trailer at Comic-Con and... | Business Insider