Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Bill Dudley's Hedge Fund Advisors Told Him About A September Rate Hike | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Sees Fractional Decline in July | Financial Sense
- The Value-At-Risk Fiasco | ZeroHedge
- Dudley Puts the Kibosh on September | Financial Sense
- Austrian Economics Is Now Equivalent To Terrorism Thanks To Latest Islamic State "Gold Standard" Propaganda Clip | ZeroHedge
- What The Yen Might Reveal | ZeroHedge
- Finding Pearls Of Wisdom In The Donald’s Trumperbolic Campaign | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 Al-Jazeera English reporters await Egyptian court ruling... | Business Insider
- Justin Wilson's brother calls accident a freak incident... | Business Insider
- Google is showing developers how to turn off iOS 9's security features... | Business Insider
- Trump-speak: 100 bucks got you in to his Boston... | Business Insider
- Junkies are cutting their heroin with a deadly chemical in hopes of bringing... | Business Insider
- The truth about 'The Master Cleanse' diet | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek