Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- FORTY BASIS POINTS | iBankCoin.com
- Still Lower Prices Ahead For Oil? | Financial Sense
- Speaker Boehner's Response To Obama's Executive Action: "Acting Like A Teenager" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Repatriation Stunner: Dutch Central Bank Secretly Withdrew 122 Tons Of Gold From The New York Fed | ZeroHedge
- "Gold Is Money And Nothing Else" - JP Morgan's Full December 1912 Testimony To Congress | ZeroHedge
- Obama Tells Mexican Viewers How He Will Fix Immigration By Executive Diktat - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Charles Schwab Urges The Fed To Raise Interest Rates "As Quickly As Possible" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- All Blacks in quest to continue Wales domination | Business Insider
- What Are Traders Chatting About Right Now? The Impressive Markets... (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- The Best 'Cheap Eats' In Chicago | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: CPI Flat in Oct.; Best Buy... | StreetInsider.com
- Check Out These Insane, Ridiculously Fast Volkswagen Concept Cars | Business Insider
- 17 Top Executives Share Their Favorite Interview Question | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, MSFT) | Business Insider