Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Third Bailout Generates New Political Division in Greece | Financial Sense
- It’s All About the Fed Today | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: Angry Mexican Crowd Attacks Uber Drivers | ZeroHedge
- Italy Youth Unemployment Hits Record High 44.2%, Concerns Rising "Recession Exit May Be Unsustainable" | ZeroHedge
- From Hill-ary To Mountain-ary - How UBS Sent Millions To The Clintons After Saving The Bank In 2009 | ZeroHedge
- VIX Crushed Back To 11 Handle As "Investors" Seek Safety Of Biotechs | ZeroHedge
- Bernie, The Koch Brothers, & Open Borders | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Israel PM calls Palestinian toddler death 'act of... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Island nations seek UN help combatting climate change | Business Insider
- Australia 'increasingly confident debris from... | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Rumors are swirling about Apple and BMW collaborating to build... | Business Insider
- New vaccine could be the 'beginning of the end' for... | Business Insider