Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Treasuries Tumble Most In 6 Months As Trannies Soar To New Highs | ZeroHedge
- Money Managers Aren’t Paid to Forecast; They’re Paid to Adapt | Financial Sense
- 50% Profit Growth and Historical Realities | Financial Sense
- ALieN 2014... | ZeroHedge
- A Divergence Among Nasdaq 100 Stocks | Financial Sense
- Safe Havens Are Trouncing Stocks So Far This Year | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap March 6, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Here's What You Should Know About The Disney/Dish Network Deal That Will... | Business Insider
- Charts Like This Bring Back Bad Memories For Me | Business Insider
- 'Fast Money' Recap: China Syndrome | TheStreet.com
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- BEACONS: What They Are, How They Work, And Why Apple's iBeacon Technology... | Business Insider