Covered Call Picks (NOK,NAV,S,CRM,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $3.25. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.38.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $23.32. Its 52 week range is between $20.07 and $48.18.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) is currently trading at $4.82. Its 52 week range is between $2.1 and $5.49.
Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) is currently trading at $149.06. Its 52 week range is $94.09 and $164.75.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $33.78. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Sees Largest Capital Outflow In Three Years Amid Currency Conundrum | ZeroHedge
- Crude Prices Surge as the Pieces Fall Into Place | Financial Sense
- Well That Hasn't Happened Before - Exhibit 3 | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: Did a Billion-Dollar Buyout Just Signal the Bottom in Oil? | Financial Sense
- Did WalMart Close A California Store To Punish Employees Who Protested Wages And Working Conditions? | ZeroHedge
- World Ponders Life After US Hegemony | ZeroHedge
- A MiDSuMMeR NiTe'S SCReaM... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Armenians to mark 'genocide' centenary as... | Business Insider
- Google is making a giant change this week that could crush millions of small businesses | Business Insider
- Sony may be working with Simon Cowell on a new animated film called 'Finn... | Business Insider
- Intense Yemen bombing, Qaeda attack after UN peace call | Business Insider
- There's very little drama left in the Premier League with 6 games to... | Business Insider
- George Lucas has not seen the new 'Star Wars' trailer | Business Insider
- Saudi vows to cover UN aid call for Yemen, keeps up air... | Business Insider