Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The First Victims of the End of QE – Small Cap Stocks and Junk Bonds | Financial Sense
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | ZeroHedge
- Following First Ebola Death Nigeria "On Red Alert", Deploys Specialists To Airports For Containment | ZeroHedge
- Second US Citizen Infected With Ebola In Liberia, Which Shuts Down Borders To Slow Epidemic | ZeroHedge
- Is the Market Due for Another 10% Correction? | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap July 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Will Investors Get Out In Time This Time? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon, Starbucks, Pandora Earnings Impact the Open | TheStreet.com
- Buzzfeed Cans Editor After Uncovering '40 Instances' Of Plagiarism | Business Insider
- The Weekend Is Over And Stocks Are Falling | Business Insider
- A Surprising Number Of Harvard Grads Admit They Have Cheated | Business Insider
- Scarlett Johansson's Superhero Movie 'Lucy' Had A Killer Weekend At The Box Office... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- 10 Reasons Why 'Top Gear' Is The Greatest Show On TV | Business Insider