Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Morgan Stanley: "We Struggle To Remember When Bearish Sentiment Was As Widespread As Today" | ZeroHedge
- Russian-OPEC Production Cut Remains a Long Shot | Financial Sense
- 2016 EPS Growth Estimates Slashed By 50% Just One Month Into The Year | ZeroHedge
- The American Dream Is Dead (And Now Even The Mainstream Media Is Starting To Admit It) | ZeroHedge
- Iran Says No Thanks To Dollars; Demands Euro Payment For Oil Sales | ZeroHedge
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- An Exasperated John Kerry Throws In Towel On Syria: "What Do You Want Me To Do, Go To War With The Russians?!" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Cam Newton makes and spends his... | Business Insider
- The 5-year-old Afghan boy who made himself a plastic bag Lionel Messi jersey will meet his idol | Business Insider
- The menu for Super Bowl 50 looks amazing | Business Insider
- A tattoo shop in Vermont is giving out... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Bernie Sanders joined Larry David on SNL for a hilarious sketch... | Business Insider
- Millennials, you're investing all wrong | Business Insider