Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Six Things To Consider About Inflation | ZeroHedge
- Oil’s Biggest Threat: Demand to Peak Within 15 Years | Financial Sense
- Largest Dow Component 3M Reports In Line Earnings, Cuts Top End Of Guidance | ZeroHedge
- Bundesbank Confirms HFTs Reduce Liquidity, Contribute To Flash Crashes, Withdraw At Times Of "Market Stress" | ZeroHedge
- America's "Two-Party System" Has Jumped The Shark | ZeroHedge
- NATO Continues To Prepare For War With Russia | ZeroHedge
- Opportunity Grows in Indonesia as Tourism Sector Blooms | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why we still don't have a cure for the common cold | Business Insider
- 9 small things you do that people use to judge your personality | Business Insider
- 9 details you may have missed on 'The Walking Dead' season 7 premiere... | Business Insider
- Latino voters are showing up in 'unprecedented' numbers in Florida early... | Business Insider
- Why MTV's president is stepping down after only a year | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- These are one of the best pairs of Bluetooth headphones you can buy for under $200 right now | Business Insider