Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Baltic Dry Index Has Never Crashed This Fast Post-Thanksgiving | ZeroHedge
- Two NYPD Cops Murdered In "Execution Style" Ambush, Shooter Commits Suicide - Live Coverage | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Industrial Production | Financial Sense
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- Spotlight on the Fed | Financial Sense
- Gun Violence In America (In 6 Uncomfortable Charts) | ZeroHedge
- The Burning Questions for 2015 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Sub-$200 Headphones Are Petite And Powerful, But Also Imperfect | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Rite Aid Surges on Profit Guidance: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com
- THE CONNECTED-HOME REPORT: Forecasts And Growth Trends For The Leading '... | Business Insider
- Meet The 5 Wildcard Politicians Who Could Throw Europe Into Chaos In 2015 | Business Insider
- How To Get A Few More Days Out Of An Opened Bottle Of Wine | Business Insider