Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Property Bubble May Collapse in a Year or Two | Financial Sense
- Tuesday (Un)Humor: Selfies At A Funeral | ZeroHedge
- What The Chinese Really Think Of The Shanghai Smog | ZeroHedge
- Netherlands After Losing Its AAA Credit Rating | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap December 11, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- 10yr Auction Post Mortem + 30yr Auction Thoughts | ZeroHedge
- World's Largest Hedge Fund Uses Twitter For Real-Time Economic Modeling | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: TWTR GIII AAPL | TheStreet.com
- Half The Finalists For A Major Car Award Are Made By GM | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Unprecedented Ruling Forces Former Morgan Stanley Banker... | Business Insider
- Microsoft May Compete With Android By Making Windows Free (MSFT) | Business Insider
- These 9 Mobile Game Companies Got Over $100 Million In Sales In 2013 | Business Insider
- The Most Popular YouTube Videos Of 2013 | Business Insider