Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- AsiaPac Stocks Tumble After Chinese Trade Data Signals Growing Global Growth Scare | ZeroHedge
- 4 Warnings And Why You Should Pay Attention | ZeroHedge
- October Macro Update: Employment Wasn't Surprisingly Weak | Financial Sense
- Peter Boockvar's Contrarian Play: Sell US Stocks, Buy Commodities and Emerging Markets | Financial Sense
- Pipeline Politics: Russia, Turkey Clash Over Energy As Syria Rift Shifts Focus To German Line | ZeroHedge
- Oct 14 - Ex-Fed's Fisher: "FOMC has egg on its face" | ZeroHedge
- Putin Calls US, Allies "Oatmeal Heads" On Syria | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Old gift to Dartmouth College leads to a new... | Business Insider
- Australia's former prime minister explains how he helped solve mass shootings in... | Business Insider
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw on 3 days' rest, Cubs a win from... | Business Insider
- Union: Chronic shortage of air traffic controllers a... | Business Insider
- Who's next for SCarolina? Gamecocks could go for... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Iran says verdict issued on Washington Post reporter | Business Insider