Biotech Covered Call Picks (SRPT,NAVB,AMRN,DNDN,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $16.32.
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NAVB) is currently trading at $3.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.05 and $4.77.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.64. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.98. Its 52 week range is between $4.17 and $17.04.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.55. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Macro Story as Told by Gold, Copper and Oil | ZeroHedge
- "Hawks, Doves, Owls And Seagulls" - Summarizing The Fed's Bird Nest | ZeroHedge
- Trapping In The Suckers | iBankCoin.com
- Deleveraging, Releveraging And Finding The New Saturation Point | ZeroHedge
- Headed for Euphoria | Financial Sense
- Five Decades Of Asset Bubbles: Which One Is Next? | ZeroHedge
- The Nikkei's Collapse: A 1987 Refresher | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chinese Media Thinks Citizens Have Been Duped By One-Way Mars Trip | Business Insider
- There's Only One Way To Survive In Investing | Business Insider
- Wolf Blitzer To Tornado Survivor: You Got To Thank The Lord.... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- INITIAL JOBLESS CLAIMS FALL TO 340,000 | Business Insider
- A Money Manager In Texas Is Upset That He Can't Give SAC Capital More Of His Money | Business Insider