Covered Call Picks (ANR,MWW,GMCR,STX,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $6.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $32.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.15. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $30.36. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $115.98.
Seagate Technology PLC (STX) is currently trading at $29.87. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $35.71.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $15.72. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Obamacare’s Failure Means for America | Financial Sense
- Don Coxe on Brewing US Pension Crisis, Stimulus vs. Rising Rates | Financial Sense
- Market Looking Toppy; Exercise Patience | Financial Sense
- 15 Essential Skills They Don’t Teach You In College | Altucher Confidential
- Stocks Roll-Over As USDJPY Tumbles To Post-Healthcare-Fail Lows | ZeroHedge
- Brodsky: "A Socialized Market With Guaranteed Positive Returns For All Must Fail" | ZeroHedge
- Can Trump Turn Back Time On Coal Mining Employment? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Peru's floods are destroying its rich... | Business Insider
- 8 lessons to learn before you launch your business | Business Insider
- Pentagon says it's longer giving out specific numbers of US troops fighting ISIS | Business Insider
- There's been a 'stunning' shift in the US economy since Trump's election | Business Insider
- The new 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' trailer reveals Tony... | Business Insider
- Microsoft is planning a big event for its Surface hardware — but it might... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek