Covered Call Picks (ANR,MWW,GMCR,STX,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $6.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $32.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.15. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $30.36. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $115.98.
Seagate Technology PLC (STX) is currently trading at $29.87. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $35.71.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $15.72. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- Gold: The Good, Bad, and Truly Ugly | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Tumble Sparks Stock Slump - Yellen Gains Gone | ZeroHedge
- Greece Warns It May Default On IMF Loan Next Week | ZeroHedge
- OMAB 4Q Results Were Strong | iBankCoin.com
- US Espionage Blowback: China Drops Apple, Cisco From State Purchase Lists | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Enters The Endgame | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New home sales slide ever so slightly (XHB) | Business Insider
- The 5 greatest letters Warren Buffett has ever written | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Everyone missed this embarrassing UK Treasury screwup... | Business Insider
- These tech companies stocked up on the most patents in 2014 | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Facebook has launched its first Internet.org TV ads (FB) | Business Insider