Covered Call Picks (ANR,MWW,GMCR,STX,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $6.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $32.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.15. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $30.36. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $115.98.
Seagate Technology PLC (STX) is currently trading at $29.87. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $35.71.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $15.72. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Playing the Chinese Trump Card | Financial Sense
- Aug 28 - Fed George: Prepared for Rate Hike, Despite Selloff | ZeroHedge
- Presenting The Annotated Chinese Equity Bubble Timeline | ZeroHedge
- Japan's Kuroda Denies Existence Of Currency War As China Devalues Yuan To Fresh 4 Year Lows, Injects CNY150bn Liquidity | ZeroHedge
- Traders Are Panic-Buying Colombian Pesos | ZeroHedge
- Ashley Madison CEO Quits | ZeroHedge
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nearly 1... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here's how to answer this oddball interview question | Business Insider
- Israeli military strikes target in Gaza after rocket... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Asian stocks up for second day on US growth | Business Insider
- This simple animation shows how LEDs are ruining your view of the night sky | Business Insider