Covered Call Picks (ANR,MWW,GMCR,STX,LNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $6.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $32.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.15. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $30.36. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $115.98.
Seagate Technology PLC (STX) is currently trading at $29.87. Its 52 week range is between $9.05 and $35.71.
Cheniere Energy Inc (LNG) is currently trading at $15.72. Its 52 week range is between $3.17 and $18.92.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Risk On, Regardless | Financial Sense
- Martin Armstrong Warns American Civil Unrest Is Starting Right On Schedule | ZeroHedge
- The Next Step In the Resurgence | iBankCoin.com
- India’s Nuclear Energy Future at Risk in Elections | Financial Sense
- Rise in Housing Starts Disappoint, Permits Fall | Financial Sense
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- The Ratings Industry Is A Stupid Place | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's The Methodology For Our List Of The Best Employers Of 2014 | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- How Messiness Can Make You More Creative | Business Insider
- PUTIN: Obama Would Save Me If I Were Drowning | Business Insider
- 22 Astounding Facts About Alibaba, The Giant Chinese E-Commerce Company Yahoo Depends Upon | Business Insider
- New Cars And Racetracks Are Coming Soon From Robot Toy Company Anki | Business Insider
- Call the Cops: Apple's About to Kill Android | TheStreet.com