Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Global QE and the Gold Price | Financial Sense
- The Federal Reserve Has Declared The Winner In The Generational Financial War | ZeroHedge
- Seven Decades Of Data Prove This Is A Really Dumb Idea... (But They'll Do It Anyway) | ZeroHedge
- GReeCe 2015... | ZeroHedge
- "Historic" Blizzard To Slam Northeast On Monday Night: Over A Foot Of Snow Expected In New York City | ZeroHedge
- On Money and Society: An Exclusive Interview With Steve Baker MP | Financial Sense
- "Buy The Dip" In Gold; BofAML Says EURUSD Bounces Should Be Sold | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lyon pull clear as Ibrahimovic lifts PSG | Business Insider
- Hawks extend NBA franchise record win streak | Business Insider
- India Put On A Spectacular Show For President Obama On Republic Day | Business Insider
- Here's How Apple Prevented Google From Putting A Fingerprint Sensor On Its... | Business Insider
- For Angola, plunging oil price jeopardises budget | Business Insider
- Look At All The Huge Stock Market Rallies That Happened During The Great Depression (DIA) | Business Insider
- Lance Armstrong Says He Would Probably Cheat Again | Business Insider