Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Last Stand Hill | iBankCoin.com
- Germany Fights on Two Fronts to Preserve the Eurozone | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: September 30 | ZeroHedge
- Former Czech President Blasts "The West's Lies About Russia Are Monstrous" | ZeroHedge
- "Not A Good Sign" Argentine Stocks, Bonds Crash As Central Bank Chief Resigns | ZeroHedge
- Why Stock Investors Should Care What Happens in the Junk Bond Market | Financial Sense
- High-Yield Credit Suffers Biggest Quarterly Loss Worldwide Since 2011 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Things In Advertising You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- The NBA Is Considering Changing Its Lottery Draft In An Effort To Curb Tanking | Business Insider
- A Report Says Angie's List Might Sell Itself And Now Its Stock Is Surging (ANGI... | Business Insider
- Secret Service 'Checking Into' Report Armed Man Was Allowed On... | Business Insider
- Dear Marissa Mayer: Here's What You Can Do To Save Your... | Business Insider
- Here's Where Ebola Might Show Up Next | Business Insider
- EU keeps Russia sanctions over Ukraine in place | Business Insider