Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Davidowitz: Retailers in 'Survival Mode' as Headwinds Multiply | Financial Sense
- Massive Jump in New Home Sales, 17-Sigma Event | Financial Sense
- US State Department Issues European Travel Alert - Warns Of Terrorist Attacks | ZeroHedge
- Delinquency Rates Surge in 2016, Poised to Head Higher | Financial Sense
- Grant Williams Warns Of Looming 'Wealth Tax', Says "Own Physical Gold, Not ETFs" | ZeroHedge
- Almost 100 Beheadings So Far In 2016 And Counting... And No, It's Not ISIS | ZeroHedge
- The Ebb and Flow of Inventories | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Arctic Ocean is about to get 'spicier' | Business Insider
- Here's what happens to your debt after you die | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban's foray into politics has reached new heights | Business Insider
- Top Apple exec Eddy Cue really, really likes basketball (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Saudi Arabia might pull a Qatar | Business Insider
- Stephen Curry made 4 out of 6 shots from the mid-court logo in warm-ups for... | Business Insider
- NATE SILVER: Warriors have a 69% chance to win the NBA Finals | Business Insider