Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will Wednesday’s Fed Minutes Spark Sell-Off? | Financial Sense
- Emerging Problems | iBankCoin.com
- The Business End of Social Sharing | iBankCoin.com
- Why a Uranium Renaissance Looks Inevitable | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap May 23, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- Today’s Dow Now in Third Place | Financial Sense
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Are The Top 20 Tech Investors You Should Follow On Twitter | Business Insider
- The Guy Who Created Google+ And Then Redesigned Facebook Has A New Job (FB) | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Here Are Some Of The Big Changes Coming To Your iPhone And iPad Software (AAPL) | Business Insider
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Reviews: An Over-The-Top Thrill... | Business Insider
- Tajikistan Blocks YouTube After Video Of Dancing President Goes Viral | Business Insider
- Mysterious 'Alien Hand Syndrome' Is Embarrassing And Terrifying | Business Insider