Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Every Time This Has Happened, A Recession Followed | ZeroHedge
- Will NIRP Trigger a Systemic Event? | ZeroHedge
- German Coverup Scandal: Ministry Urged Erasing "Rape" From "Monstrous" Cologne Migrant Attack Report | ZeroHedge
- Current Rally Beginning to Show Signs of Exhaustion | Financial Sense
- Ken Rogoff's Shockingly Simple Advice To Emerging Markets: Hoard Gold | ZeroHedge
- Sell in May and Buy Back Higher in November | Financial Sense
- Why The Obamacare Gold Rush Is Bankrupting America | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's a big warning sign that the wheels of the US economy may be grinding... | Business Insider
- Here's the real reason why photos of Bin Laden's body won't... | Business Insider
- 'Space Jam 2' starring LeBron James is officially happening | Business Insider
- Half of American teenagers feel addicted to their phones | Business Insider
- Fans are freaking out over Sunday's huge 'Game of Thrones' episode | Business Insider
- The bodies of 2 famed American climbers have been found in the Himalayas | Business Insider
- 9 of the trickiest brainteasers... | Business Insider