Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Serious Is The California Drought? | ZeroHedge
- For $1 Million You Have A Choice: 15 Square Meters In Monaco Or A Trailer In The Hamptons | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- U.S. Warms to Clean Energy | Financial Sense
- An Interview With Ambrose Evans-Pritchard | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 26 | ZeroHedge
- UNDeR INVeSTiGaTioN... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Meet 10 People Who Say They've Been Abducted By Aliens | Business Insider
- It Looks Like Scotland Will Have To Risk Defaulting On Its Debt To Get... | Business Insider
- Snapchat Is Now A $10 Billion Dollar Company | Business Insider
- Meet The Publisher Who Ditched Amazon And Is Selling More Books Than Ever | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett Reportedly Giving Big Boost To Burger King... | Business Insider
- Verizon Is About To Significantly Improve How Your Phone Calls Will Sound (VZ) | Business Insider