Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index: Decrease in May | Financial Sense
- A few thoughts on Gold, currency and “risk free savings” in the wake of Brexit | ZeroHedge
- What is a man to wear for this apocalypse? | ZeroHedge
- European Stocks Crash Most In History | ZeroHedge
- Nomura Warns "Do Not Underestimate The Global Contagion" From Brexit | ZeroHedge
- "See EU Later" - On The Front Covers Of UK Newspapers Today | ZeroHedge
- Existing-Home Sales in May Highest Pace in 9 Years | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Heat waves in New York City could cause thousands of deaths by... | Business Insider
- How to wear a short-sleeve button-down without looking dorky | Business Insider
- Hezbollah vows that 'as long as there is... | Business Insider
- The UK's 'Leave' vote has thrown a... | Business Insider
- What you need to know on Wall Street right now | Business Insider
- This former JPMorgan trader built a free app that sends custom financial... | Business Insider
- These charts helped US troops identify enemy aircraft during World War II | Business Insider