Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Five Stocks Going to Work Today | iBankCoin.com
- How Will Gold Respond to Global Deflation? | Financial Sense
- Potential for "Very High" Natural Gas Spikes This Year, Says Energy Analyst | Financial Sense
- Lassonde: Gold Moving Sideways; Very Bullish on Natural Gas | Financial Sense
- New York AG Sends Subpoenas To HFT Firms Including Tower, Jump and Chopper | ZeroHedge
- The Futures Of Countries: A Look At The Secession Movements Around The World | ZeroHedge
- This Is The Headline That Broke Today's Downward Momentum | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's Data On The 50 Best Employers In America | Business Insider
- Domino's New Chicken Product Is Unlike Anything We've Ever Seen | Business Insider
- Lehigh Fraternity Suspended For Allegedly Spraying... | Business Insider
- One Reason Why We Don't Quit Cable TV | TheStreet.com
- President Obama Had To Fix A Typo That Could Have Kept A Man In Jail... | Business Insider
- The Fingerprint Scanner On Samsung's New Galaxy Phone Has Been Hacked | Business Insider
- Here's A Guy Snowboarding At 50 Miles Per Hour With A Handheld Jet Engine | Business Insider