Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Net Neutrality Debate Proves The Opinions Are Far From Informed | ZeroHedge
- Can Tesla’s Latest Venture Live Up to the Hype? | Financial Sense
- Presenting AAPL's Reaction To The Worst Manufacturing Report In 6 years | ZeroHedge
- Changing Trends: Stocks, Bonds, Gold, the U.S. Dollar, and Oil | Financial Sense
- GDP Gives Market No Tail-Wind | Financial Sense
- The Herbalife Ice Cube Has Almost Melted: Presenting "Cash From Operations" | ZeroHedge
- US Posts First Negative Inflation Print Since Lehman On Gas Price Plunge | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Commercial drones have leapt far ahead of regulators and are already entrenched... | Business Insider
- Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh by 92 runs at World Cup | Business Insider
- 9 books that billionaire Warren Buffett thinks everyone should read | Business Insider
- Vladimir Putin already has a theory... | Business Insider
- Why our brains see the black and blue dress as white and gold | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's what you need to know (USO, OIL, IEP, WTW, AIG) | Business Insider
- IHOP posted the best sales in a decade by making 3 major changes to the menu | Business Insider