Covered Call Picks (THLD,MWW,MCP,BBY,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|THLD||Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc||7.41||7.5||0.7||9.40%||October 2012|
|MWW||Monster Worldwide Inc||8.28||9||0.8||9.10%||October 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||13.9||14||1.1||7.70%||October 2012|
|BBY||Best BUY Co Inc||17.7||18||1.2||6.60%||October 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||56.1||57.5||2.7||4.90%||October 2012|
Threshold Pharmaceuticals Inc (THLD) is currently trading at $7.41. Its 52 week range is between $1.18 and $9.28.
Monster Worldwide Inc (MWW) is currently trading at $8.28. Its 52 week range is between $5.72 and $10.4.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $13.85. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $53.56.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $17.66. Its 52 week range is between $16.25 and $28.52.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $56.06. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $162.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Cheat Or Chump? - You Are Not An Investor | ZeroHedge
- Softer Hard Data Weighs on Stocks | Financial Sense
- How The Euro Will React After The First French Results Come Out | ZeroHedge
- China Update - Why Is the Consensus Now So Optimistic? | Financial Sense
- The Simple Reason Why A Second American Civil War May Be Inevitable | ZeroHedge
- Did Russia Shoot Down US Missiles In Syria | ZeroHedge
- American Airlines Employee Suspended After Hitting Mother, Challenging Passenger To A Fight | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Animated map of what Earth would look like if all the ice... | Business Insider
- The most expensive home you can buy in 28 countries around the world | Business Insider
- What I wish I knew before buying a rental property | Business Insider
- World leaders meeting in Washington are pretending they can... | Business Insider
- The North Korea situation is approaching its 'witching hour... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Starbucks has a secret size that's not on its menu, and it's bigger... | Business Insider