Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Treasuries - As A Relative Asset Class - Look Cheap" | ZeroHedge
- Currency Wars - Europe Seeks Alternative To 'Dollar Imperialism' | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- One Company Finally Admits: It Wasn't The "Harsh Weather" After All | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 8 | ZeroHedge
- Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Sentenced To Decade In Prison For Bribery | ZeroHedge
- Morning Checkup from the Neck Up | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Big, Beautiful Photos Of Russia's New Tram Of The Future | Business Insider
- Why We Can't Yet Build True Artificial Intelligence, Explained In One Sentence | Business Insider
- A Popular Retirement Rule Of Thumb Isn't Wrong, But It Could Be Disruptive For... | Business Insider
- NFL Cheerleaders Got An Early Advantage In Their Lawsuit Against The Buffalo Bills | Business Insider
- Unbelievable Pictures Of Wildlife From The BBC's... | Business Insider
- LIVE: Alcoa Announces Earnings (AA, DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Stock to Watch: InvenSense in Perilous Reversal | TheStreet.com