Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stimulate This! Thoughts On Intergenerational Fairness | ZeroHedge
- 3 Things Worth Thinking About | ZeroHedge
- Good News: GDP Revised Higher | Financial Sense
- Initial Jobless Claims Spikes Above 300k To 3-Month Highs, Biggest Miss In 11 Months | ZeroHedge
- Insight on Automation | ZeroHedge
- Housing Data Broadly Mixed | Financial Sense
- Nothing Has Changed - And That's The Problem | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- England opt to field in Sri Lanka one-dayer | Business Insider
- HP Has Over 400 People Working Full Time On Carving Up The... | Business Insider
- Spending On Native Advertising Is Soaring As... | Business Insider
- 3 Reasons Americans Still Aren't Comfortable Spending Money | Business Insider
- Business Insider Is Looking For Superhero Inside Sales Reps in NYC, Chicago and... | Business Insider
- The Amount Of Money On The Line In The College Football Playoff Is A Lot Less Than You... | Business Insider
- Meet Michele Flournoy, A Leading Candidate To Lead The... | Business Insider