Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Russia, Mexico & OPEC Failed Agreement on Production Cuts was Short Sighted | ZeroHedge
- Greece’s Snap Elections Increase Uncertainty About EU Future | Financial Sense
- Oil Wars: Why OPEC Will Win | Financial Sense
- Everyone Do The Safe-Haven Scramble | ZeroHedge
- Crude Contagion Spreads To Investment Grade Credit: Spreads Burst To 14-Month Wides | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: No Hyperinflation, Years of Low Oil Prices, and a Bubble in Stocks | Financial Sense
- Congress Has Guaranteed the Secular Bear Market Is Not Over | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's More Bizarre Evidence... | Business Insider
- A Texas Plumber Is Getting Threats After A Truck... | Business Insider
- Twitter CEO Has Sold More Than... | Business Insider
- Silicon Valley Billionaire Is Challenging The Order To Open... | Business Insider
- 15 Overlay Maps That Will Change The Way You See The World... | Business Insider
- These 7 Cities Are The New 'Urban Wonders' Of The World | Business Insider
- NASA Astronaut Reveals His Favorite Part Of The Job | Business Insider