Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why The Rally Just Fizzled: Draghi's "Puff" Was Not Enough | ZeroHedge
- Is This Where The US Recession Is Hiding? | ZeroHedge
- "JPM Omen 2.0" Sparks Stock Pump'n'Dump After Crude Surges'n'Purges | ZeroHedge
- "The Biggest Problems We Face Is That We’re All Flying Blind To A Large Degree" Warns Deutsche Bank | ZeroHedge
- ADP Misses Again, Drops YoY For 7th Month In A Row | ZeroHedge
- America - Good, Bad Or Ugly? Part 1: The Bad | ZeroHedge
- Lessons From a Failed Prediction | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A new Justice Department report finds Ferguson police did exactly what they... | Business Insider
- ECB: No change on interest rates | Business Insider
- Judge: Suspect's confession OK in California pier... | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN: The Fed's No. 2 is getting the inflation story wrong... | Business Insider
- Wildfires threaten Russia's unique Lake Baikal | Business Insider
- Hot summer fuels dangerous glacier melting in Central... | Business Insider
- Refresh your morning routine with these 6 complete breakfast ideas | Business Insider