Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Investor Opinions Have Become Extremely Uniform, and That's Not Good | Financial Sense
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Oil Markets Can’t Ignore The Fundamentals Forever | ZeroHedge
- Why China Is So Desperate To Blow The Most Epic Stock Bubble | ZeroHedge
- How iTunes Destroyed The Music Business In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- China Outlines New "Offensive" Military Strategy; Builds Lighthouses In Disputed Waters | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Predicting $45 Oil by October | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Michelle Obama's advice to Oberlin graduates cuts to the heart of one of... | Business Insider
- LeBron James is the most powerful player in the NBA — here's how he always... | Business Insider
- Google opens up a 21,000-square-foot campus in South Korea for startups | Business Insider
- 'Destiny' is so much better than it was nine months ago | Business Insider
- These dotcom startups look just like some of today's hottest tech... | Business Insider
- Here's everything analysts think will be in the... | Business Insider
- 11 things you didn't know about texting on your iPhone (AAPL) | Business Insider