Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hillary Clinton Is In Deep Trouble: "Hordes Of Wall Street Executives" Descend Upon Philly | ZeroHedge
- Caterpillar Retail Sales Decline For 43 Consecutive Months | ZeroHedge
- Kotlikoff: America "Dead Broke" - $199 Trillion in the Red | Financial Sense
- "It's Not Panicking If You're First" - China Devaluation Is Closer Than Anyone Thinks | ZeroHedge
- Wasserman Schultz: "I Am Not Going To Gavel In The Convention" | ZeroHedge
- Signs of Excessive Bullish Sentiment | Financial Sense
- Here's Why The New DNC Chair Is About To Make Bernie Supporters Just As Angry | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These insanely expensive sneakers sell for up to $20,000 per pair | Business Insider
- How increasing digital media ad spend will shape advertising in the next few... | Business Insider
- The city where Democrats are holding their national convention has... | Business Insider
- 20 simple, free gestures that will make your business more... | Business Insider
- Tim Duncan made $240 million in his career and he still shops at Old Navy | Business Insider
- 8 psychological reasons someone might fall in love with you | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek