Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fly Buy: $MT | iBankCoin.com
- Precious Metals Hit 3-Week Lows, ETFs “Could Sell Another 250 Tonnes of Gold” | Financial Sense
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- Italy's New Government Approval Rating Plummets From 43% To 34% In Three Weeks, Protests Return | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Decouple From “Risk-On” Indicators | Financial Sense
- The Last of the 2008 Doomsday Scenarios Is Fading Away | Financial Sense
- The Quiet Triumph Of Oil And Gas In Obama’s Policies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ben Bernanke Gives A Shout-Out To English Majors | Business Insider
- Today's Fat Profit Margins Aren't About American Workers Getting Squeezed | Business Insider
- If You Really Want To, Here's How YOU Can Pull Off Mark Cuban's... | Business Insider
- Watch The Trailer For The Scathing Drama Creating A Huge Buzz In China | Business Insider
- FACEBOOK IS NOT GOING TO BID FOR TUMBLR: Tumblr Is Yahoo... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- The Ingenious 'HoodiePillow' Is The Ultimate Plane Flight Accessory | Business Insider