Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pending Home Sales Tumble From Recovery Highs, Biggest Miss In 2014 | ZeroHedge
- US Equities Flat While China Surges On More Stimulus And Bailout Hopes | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buy: $VNET | iBankCoin.com
- Runaway Ebola-Infected Woman Dies As US Doctor Tests Positive For Virus | ZeroHedge
- An Abandoned Chart | iBankCoin.com
- Argentina Bonds/Currency Tumble As Delegation Snubs Mediation | ZeroHedge
- On Washington's Ukrainian Fiasco: "Who Is The Real Problem Here?" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 Unusual-Volume Stocks to Trade for Breakouts | TheStreet.com
- 6 Ways To Take Care Of Your 'Mental Hygiene' | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- BIG MAC INDEX: Kroners And Swiss Francs Are Still Overvalued... | Business Insider
- 9 Easy Tips For Finding Exactly What You Want On Google | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Henry Kissinger: World War I Was 'Structurally Unavoidable' | Business Insider