Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fly Buy: $ANET | iBankCoin.com
- The Complete Robin Hood Conference Summary | ZeroHedge
- Here is the Test | iBankCoin.com
- The Ultimate Carry Trade: U.S. Banks Buying Treasuries | Financial Sense
- The Magic Number Is Revealed: It Costs Central Banks $200 Billion Per Quarter To Avoid A Market Crash | ZeroHedge
- Ebola 2014 Is Mutating As Fast As Seasonal Flu | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Expects Year-End Rally Post 10% Market Correction | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Zagat Reveals The Best Restaurants In New York City For 2015 | Business Insider
- Staples Investigating Possible Credit Card Data Breach at Stores | TheStreet.com
- There Are Only 3 African-American Players In The World Series — Here's One... | Business Insider
- Islamic State Militants Are Raking In $800 Million A... | Business Insider
- Bayern promised red-hot welcome at Roma | Business Insider
- US cautiously optimistic after no new Ebola in 5 days | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek