Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Taking A Spin | iBankCoin.com
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- The Chart That All "Above Average Intelligence Traders" Ignored Today | ZeroHedge
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- The Ultimate Carry Trade: U.S. Banks Buying Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: October 24 | ZeroHedge
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 Apps For Getting What You Need, Fast | Business Insider
- Stock Market Today: Stocks Look to End the Week Higher After Flurry of Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Why Sears Was Doomed Back In 1978 | Business Insider
- Why Chipotle Will Never Replace McDonald's | Business Insider
- IMF fights negative interest rates | Business Insider
- 3 Dead After Small Plane And Helicopter Collide At Maryland... | Business Insider