Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Is What Greece's "Triumphant Return" Looks Like Now | ZeroHedge
- Russia Is Taking Full Advantage Of Greek Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Greferendum Caption Contest: Two For The Price Of One | ZeroHedge
- Greece "Matters" Again - Stocks, Silver, Copper & Bond Yields Are All Tumbling | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Jul 6, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Frontrunning: July 7 | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 6 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- JP Morgan's ultimate guide to the markets and the economy | Business Insider
- The 12 best Easter eggs in 'Batman: Arkham Knight' | Business Insider
- Donald Trump just released an epic statement raging against Mexican immigrants... | Business Insider
- People in Greece can't buy things on iTunes because of the... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Angel investing is so huge, there's a 4-hour crash course... | Business Insider