Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "If This Does Not Disqualify Hillary For The Presidency, It's Hard To Know What Will" | ZeroHedge
- The Search for Yield and Emerging Markets | Financial Sense
- Is the UK Economy Doing Better Post-Brexit? | Financial Sense
- "Massive Shock" Looms In Japan As Kuroda Is In "Jeopardy", According To $2 Trillion Investor | ZeroHedge
- Shoulda Called Huma... | ZeroHedge
- One Striking Chart Shows Why, According to MS, The Next Global Recession Begins In China | ZeroHedge
- $oRo$ (Part III) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Furious Costco customers are still threatening to cancel memberships... | Business Insider
- Colin Kaepernick protests national anthem and US flag because he won't... | Business Insider
- Sears workers reveal why the company is bleeding cash | Business Insider
- The master key to understanding the IoT... | Business Insider
- Companies keep using this trick to make their earnings look better | Business Insider
- Singapore confirms 41 cases of locally-transmitted Zika... | Business Insider
- How the Rock — the highest-paid actor in Hollywood — makes and spends his millions | Business Insider