Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Are Weak Earnings Signaling Recession Ahead? | Financial Sense
- Putin Spokesman Says Nemtsov Murder Was "100% Provocation" | ZeroHedge
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In February And YTD | ZeroHedge
- "We Are Failing To Deliver On Our Obligations As Americans" | ZeroHedge
- Debt-To-GDP Ratios Demand Debt Jubilee | ZeroHedge
- Market Wrap: Futures Unchanged Despite Latest Chinese Rate Cut | ZeroHedge
- Breaking Bad (Debt) - Episode One | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The classic, decaying cars of Detroit will bring a tear to your eye | Business Insider
- Kanye West reveals the name of his next album | Business Insider
- Tim Cook on privacy: 'We shouldn't give in to scare-mongering... | Business Insider
- This is how much NATO member states spend on their military | Business Insider
- China's wild panda population up nearly 17 percent | Business Insider
- Kerry, Lavrov open tough talks on Ukraine, Nemtsov | Business Insider
- 200 years on, Napoleon returns to southern France | Business Insider