Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap October 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- BusinessWeek Wants YOU To Become A Keynesian Debt Slave | ZeroHedge
- THe ReTuRN OF ALaN GReeDSPaM... | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: Slowing of World Trade Growth and Globalization | Financial Sense
- The Dollar Decline Continues: China Starts Direct Convertibility With Asia's #1 Financial Hub | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buy: $TRIP | iBankCoin.com
- Goldman Cuts 2015, 2016 EPS Forecasts On "Diminished Global GDP Growth" Just As Fed Surprises With Hawkish Outlook | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Michigan's AD Has Resigned Which Is Going To Spark Rumors That Jim... | Business Insider
- After Going Viral On Social Media, An Adorable Puppy Worth $2,500 Was Stolen In... | Business Insider
- Mesmerizing Photos Of The Lava That's Slowly Swallowing Land On Hawaii's Big Island... | Business Insider
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Just Came Out As Gay (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Only One Wall Street Economist Expects Mexico To Cut Rates Friday | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- SodaStream to close controversial West Bank plant | Business Insider