Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Government Knows Best - Junk Food Ban Goes Global | ZeroHedge
- Trump and the Fed | Financial Sense
- "We Respond To Respect": Iran To Conduct New Military Drill In Which "Rockets Will Be Used" | ZeroHedge
- The Week's Key Economic And Financial Events | ZeroHedge
- French Nuclear Watchdog Gives An Update On Mysterious Radioactive Iodine Blanketing Europe | ZeroHedge
- German Minister Calls For 'Plan B': "Greece Should Pledge Gold, Real Estate For New Loans" | ZeroHedge
- Trump Slams 'Fake News' Lies That Sweden's Mass Immigration "Is Working Out Just Beautifully" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- TransferWise now lets you send money abroad using a... | Business Insider
- A nutritionist explains why all sugar is the same | Business Insider
- The 50 most expensive colleges in America | Business Insider
- Most vitamins are useless, but there's one you could probably use | Business Insider
- Mike Pence says he was 'disappointed' that Michael... | Business Insider
- You can’t understand the Fintech Revolution... | Business Insider
- Russia's ambassador to the UN has died | Business Insider