Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Lakshman on US Slowdown, Shocks, and China | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: 800 Angry Farmers Storm Greek Ministry, Beat Cops With Shepherd's Sticks | ZeroHedge
- 10,000 Greek Farmers Stage Massive Revolt In Athens, Destroy Police Cars | ZeroHedge
- Gold to Beat Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Apple Analysis (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Breadth Breakdown Bodes Badly For Budding Bulls | ZeroHedge
- Assad Plans To Retake "All Syria," Will "Confront" Saudis, Turks If Invaded | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 ways being married influences your success | Business Insider
- Another Russian tycoon just invested millions in Uber | Business Insider
- BMW just unleashed its second 600-horsepower luxury limo in a week | Business Insider
- Russia's prime minister warns that East-West... | Business Insider
- The Pope visited Mexico and had harsh words about drug dealers with... | Business Insider
- The 3 plays in sports everybody will be talking about today | Business Insider
- 'That is a low blow’ — Sanders slams Clinton during... | Business Insider