Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 'Elites' Called To Arms: "It's Time To Rise Up Against The Ignorant Masses" | ZeroHedge
- Dr. Keith Barron on Helicopter Drops, Gold, and Brexit | Financial Sense
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In June And Q2 | ZeroHedge
- Scathing New Report Shows Just How Bankrupt Social Security Really Is | ZeroHedge
- Bond Mechanics in a Negative Interest Rate World | Financial Sense
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Do the Charts Agree With George Soros on Brexit? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Puerto Rico debt-relief bill passes Congress, heads to Obama's desk... | Business Insider
- 11 ways to run your side hustle without losing your mind | Business Insider
- People are obsessed with this new subscription box for tea — it’s already sent 35... | Business Insider
- A French charity official was reportedly... | Business Insider
- Siri watched the 'Game of Thrones' finale — and she has a lot to say about it... | Business Insider
- The Fed just handed an embarrassing smackdown to 2 European banks | Business Insider
- I'm a financial planner and here are 6 unbelievably stupid... | Business Insider