Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Joel Kurtzman on Why America's Future Is Brighter Than You Think | Financial Sense
- Jobs Report Not as Positive for the Economy as Some Think | Financial Sense
- Orwell Would Be Proud: US Media Admits Divine Right To Decide What Public Needs To Know | ZeroHedge
- $22 Billion in California Homes Sold to Chinese All-Cash Buyers | Financial Sense
- Follow Last Week’s Narrative (For Now) | Financial Sense
- Dollar Going Nowhere Quickly | ZeroHedge
- Kerry Kaiser-Beer Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Stocks Heads Lower as Investors Eye Next Week's Slew of Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Here's Why Google Stopped Asking Bizarre, Crazy-Hard Interview Questions | Business Insider
- A Bunch Of News Sites Fell For This Parody Video Of North Korea Beating Everyone In The... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: WMB AA BIIB REGN CELG GILD UNUM | TheStreet.com
- Meet The Cutest Robots In The World | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Embarrassing Moments Of The World Cup | Business Insider