Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap Apr 17, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- This Technical Signaled The Last Two Market Crashes And It Just Happened | ZeroHedge
- Compare And Contrast: Putin vs Draghi | ZeroHedge
- How Belief in Mainstream News Propaganda Affects Belief in Gold & Silver Propaganda | ZeroHedge
- Meet Fiery Cross Reef, China's Man-Made Military Island Outpost | ZeroHedge
- Which Is the Greater Threat to Investors – Inflation or Deflation? | Financial Sense
- Has The Fed Already Lost? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mourinho calls for caution as Premier League title... | Business Insider
- Big turnout on store day shows rebirth of vinyl | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- SpaceX's biggest competitor is a company you've never heard of | Business Insider
- Bale, Modric to miss Atletico return leg: reports | Business Insider
- Obama may be smiling today but the Congressional fight over an... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek