Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Much Does It Cost America To Blow Up American Weapons? | ZeroHedge
- Russian Bear Rattles Markets, But PPT Rides to the Rescue | Financial Sense
- Five Stocks to Ponder on Your Midday Stroll | iBankCoin.com
- When Headline Scanning Algos Get Crushed By A Wrong Bloomberg Headline | ZeroHedge
- Don't Think It Won't Happen Just Because It Hasn't Happened Yet: Loss Of Faith In The Fed | ZeroHedge
- A Team Effort in China | iBankCoin.com
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's Why Successful People All Learn To Love Failure | Business Insider
- A Soviet Conscript Who Was Captured By The Nazis Shares His WWII Experience... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- We're Taking Nominations For The Most Eligible Bachelors And Bachelorettes On Wall... | Business Insider
- Banks Are Planning A Massive Double Exit From The UK If It Votes To Leave The EU... | Business Insider
- THE PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISING REPORT: Real-Time Bidding Is Taking Over The Digital Ad... | Business Insider
- Ferraris Are Crushing It At Classic Car Auctions | Business Insider