Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece Set To Restart Negotiations, IMF "Ready To Assist" Greece, Lagarde Says | ZeroHedge
- US Mint Runs Out Of Silver On Same Day Price Of Silver Plunges To 2015 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Tumbling Futures Rebound After Varoufakis Resignation; Most China Stocks Drop Despite Massive Intervention | ZeroHedge
- What Does Greece Have to do with Me? | iBankCoin.com
- Are You Investing Like the Terminator? You Should Be! | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Storm Into The Green (Again) As Greek "Hope" Returns | ZeroHedge
- Just One Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This one thing about Google Apps for Work should seriously scare... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- Greeks vote 'No' - What now? LIVE REPORT | Business Insider
- 23andMe CEO defends practice of sharing genetic info with pharma companies... | Business Insider
- This hilarious video pokes fun at some of the most common... | Business Insider
- Ellen Pao apologizes to Reddit users: 'We screwed up' | Business Insider
- Apple has a clever idea that could replace the charging port in your... | Business Insider