Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Dollar is Going Up | ZeroHedge
- What Inflation Means to You: Inside the Consumer Price Index | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap May 20, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- Fortune Belongs to the Bold | Financial Sense
- Brussels Puts Spain Under Surveillance | Financial Sense
- Executive Sweet? | Financial Sense
- Stock Market Not Ready to Handle Tapering Truth | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tomorrow Is A Big Day For Central Banks — Here's What You Need To Know | Business Insider
- Measles Are Suddenly Becoming Quite A Problem In The UK | Business Insider
- Sophisticated Tornado Warning System Saved A Lot Of Lives In Oklahoma | Business Insider
- The Age Of The Car In America Is Over | Business Insider
- ARIANNA HUFFINGTON: Graduates Need To Redefine The Meaning Of Success | Business Insider
- Restaurant Critic Reveals The Best Thing He's Ever Eaten | Business Insider
- REPORT: Steve Cohen Is Considering A Deal That Would Shut His Hedge Fund To Outside... | Business Insider