Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- You Can’t Taper This Government Paper | iBankCoin.com
- Why Japan May Matter More Than Tapering | Financial Sense
- Number of Banks and Percentage of Problem Banks Over Time | Financial Sense
- Prisoner’s Dilemma Game in Greece | Financial Sense
- Why Fed Will Keep Markets Guessing on Taper | Financial Sense
- Las Vegas Housing Demand Has Crashed While Supply Surging | ZeroHedge
- Fed Extends Closing Time Of First POMO By 15 Minutes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook Is Losing Teens Faster In... | Business Insider
- Jeff Gundlach Takes A Contrarian Stance On Fed Policy And Makes The Case For EM Bonds... | Business Insider
- Mind-Blowing Numbers Aren't The Only Thing... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- The Unofficial Goldman Sachs Guide To New Year's Resolutions | Business Insider
- The Definitive Guide To The New York City Tech Scene | Business Insider
- 18 Holiday Gifts Perfect For Science Geeks | Business Insider