Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Chinese Growth Forecasts Just Crashed To A Paltry 3.9% - And Are Going Even Lower - In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- What Happens When 30,000 People Run The Beijing "Airpocalypse" Marathon In "Hazardous" Smog | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- How Far Will the Stock Market Rebound Go? | ZeroHedge
- The Crowded "Long-Dollar" Train Just Got Even More Crowded | ZeroHedge
- Plunging Oil Prices a Game-Changer for Major Pipeline Projects | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's A Guide To The 20 Different Versions Of The Porsche 911 You Can Buy | Business Insider
- Apple's Design Genius Jony Ive Thinks The iPhone's Competitors Are... | Business Insider
- Brainstorm CEO Offers Investors a Frank Outlook for ALS Therapy | TheStreet.com
- The Nikkei Is Booming Again After Last Week's Brutal Sell-Off | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer Says the No. 1 Issue to the Stock Market Is Ebola | TheStreet.com
- Here Are The Biggest Trends Shaping The E-Commerce Industry Ahead Of The Holidays | Business Insider
- This Is The Japanese Supercar That Larry Ellison Liked To Give As A Gift... | Business Insider