Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Transition Logjam Stalls Stocks | Financial Sense
- Banks Stocks could underperform for years (Update) | ZeroHedge
- Watch Live: Gorsuch Takes The Stand For Day 3 As Republicans Mull "Nuclear Option" | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Sound Of The Bottom Falling Out Of The Auto Industry? | ZeroHedge
- THe ReTuRN OF CoMeY THe CLoWN... | ZeroHedge
- Conservative Students "Violently Threatened" At Lutheran College | ZeroHedge
- Investors Dump Euro Bonds, Shift Into US | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The attempted hack of Baidu shows the value of self-driving... | Business Insider
- These are the leading credit card processing companies (JPM, BAC, C, WFC, VNTV,... | Business Insider
- Gold is spiking on market fears (GLD, GDX) | Business Insider
- Here is eMarketer's country-by-country guide... | Business Insider
- Apple just bought the app it once crowned 'most innovative' and made it free for everyone (AAPL) | Business Insider
- 22 clothing items every man should own before he turns 30 | Business Insider
- This over-the-top $129 million mansion comes with 12 bedrooms,... | Business Insider