Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Central Bankers’ Malodorous War On Savers | ZeroHedge
- Here Comes a “Godzilla” El Niño | Financial Sense
- US Falls Behind Canada, Finland, And Hong Kong In Human Freedom Index | ZeroHedge
- The Great Unwind, China Begins Dumping Treasuries | ZeroHedge
- A Bottom, But Not THE Bottom | ZeroHedge
- Demand Surge and Shortages of Bullion as Stocks Fall Sharply | ZeroHedge
- Oil Surges To $45 After Saudi Troops Invade Yemen | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Redskins are on the hook to pay Robert Griffin III $16 million... | Business Insider
- Turkey PM forms election government including pro-... | Business Insider
- Air guitarists duke it out at Finland world championships... | Business Insider
- 'Sister Wives' cite gay marriage ruling in polygamy... | Business Insider
- CREDIT SUISSE: One Direction's Harry Styles has been a nightmare for... | Business Insider
- The Latest: 50K walk gets under way without Yargunkin | Business Insider
- The 8 most common degrees among top-earning CFOs | Business Insider