Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Geopolitical Tension Tops Revised GDP | Financial Sense
- The Best Insurance Policy Ever Written.........Bar None (pardon the pun) | ZeroHedge
- Dan Gordon Warns of Elaborate ISIS Attack on the US Using Mexican Drug Tunnels | Financial Sense
- Russia Sends NATO A Clear Message By Arming Fighter Jets With First Air-To-Air Missles | ZeroHedge
- And The First To Admit Defeat In Currency Wars Is... | ZeroHedge
- Two Reasons The 'War On Terror' Will Always Fail | ZeroHedge
- New Smoking Gun: U.S. and UK KNEW Saddam Did NOT Possess WMDs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Storm lingering in southern Plains; more flooding possible... | Business Insider
- ESPN host says nobody criticized Travis Kelce’s touchdown dance because ‘he... | Business Insider
- UC Irvine’s 7-foot-6 center dunked on an opponent without even jumping | Business Insider
- Apple's virtual assistant Siri just got more competition on the... | Business Insider
- Burkina Faso holds 1st vote since popular uprising | Business Insider
- Arizona just threw mass shade at The New York Times | Business Insider
- 9 emails that show Hillary Clinton struggles with tech... | Business Insider