Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart of the Day: Nonfarm Payrolls and Bank Tightening | Financial Sense
- Obama Proposes $10/Barrell Oil Tax To Fund Government Transportation Spending | ZeroHedge
- Bloodbathery | ZeroHedge
- China Explores Its Monetary Easing Toolkit | Financial Sense
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Hilsenrath's Take: March Rate Hike In Limbo, But "Fed Was Expecting A Slowdown" | ZeroHedge
- Here Are The Banks The Market Is Most Concerned About | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Germany's troubles are bad news for Europe | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- These graphics explain how the world's best pilots perform death defying tricks | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- The Zika virus is putting thousands of women in an impossible... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- 7 public speaking secrets from one of the most-watched TED speakers | Business Insider