Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Meet The 2 Iranians At The Center Of The "Stolen Passport" Plot | ZeroHedge
- A Rusty Rail | iBankCoin.com
- Was The Price Of Ukraine's "Liberation" The Handover Of Its Gold To The Fed? | ZeroHedge
- Why Is the Dow Lagging the Broader Market? | Financial Sense
- Very Depressing and also Very Stupid | iBankCoin.com
- The Fed Has Failed (And Will Continue to Fail), Part 1 | ZeroHedge
- Payrolls Up 175K, Jobless Rate Climbs to 6.7% | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Adam Lanza's Father: 'You Can’t Get Any More Evil' | Business Insider
- People Who Wrote Letters To The FTC About Herbalife Say They Don't Remember... | Business Insider
- The New York Knicks Expect Phil Jackson To Accept Their Offer | Business Insider
- GEORGE SOROS: Europe Is Just Entering 25 Years Of Stagnation | Business Insider
- What 10 Brands' Terrible Websites Looked Like On The Day They Launched In The... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- And Now Tesla Is At Risk Of Being Banned In Ohio, Too (TSLA) | Business Insider