Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- RC is a $TAN man | iBankCoin.com
- China Fakes Trade Surplus... | ZeroHedge
- Boat Drinks Into the Bell | iBankCoin.com
- Bernanke "No Tapering"; Silver Goes Up and Down Again | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 22 | ZeroHedge
- Stop and Pay Your Respects to These Retail Plays | iBankCoin.com
- Careful Shorting the Precious Metals and Miners Here | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Family Survived Tornado By Hiding In Walk-In Freezer In Chinese Restaurant | Business Insider
- IAN BREMMER: The Potential Of America's Energy Revolution Is... | Business Insider
- Cyber Attack On Utilities Could Be A 'Katrina-Like Disaster Affecting Cities For... | Business Insider
- Business Insider Ad Specs | Business Insider
- IT Pros Are Using LinkedIn In A Surprising Way: To Shop For Enterprise Tech (LNKD) | Business Insider
- UK Reports Dismal Retail Sales | Business Insider
- BI INTELLIGENCE FORECAST: Google Glass Will Be An $11 Billion Market By 2018 | Business Insider