Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Martin Armstrong Warns The Rise Of Nationalism Throughout Europe Is Inevitable | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Reading: Are The Bulls Back? | ZeroHedge
- Disillusioned Democrats & The Demise Of Democracy In America | ZeroHedge
- Oregon Senator Warns - Government Is Dramatically Expanding Its Hacking & Surveillance Authority | ZeroHedge
- A June Fed Funds Rate Hike Risks a September Economic Stall | Financial Sense
- "We’re Moving To Tackle Systemic Risk" - India Cracks Down On HFT Scourge | ZeroHedge
- "Greed & Fear Are Great Teachers" Black Swan Author Tells Graduates "Always Have Skin In The Game" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I've tried dozens of jeans and this pair is my absolute favorite | Business Insider
- The doctor who invented the Heimlich maneuver just used it... | Business Insider
- Why Indian-American children keep winning the National Spelling Bee... | Business Insider
- Billion-dollar funds tried and failed to force US... | Business Insider
- AP finds Clinton misstated key facts in the email... | Business Insider
- JOHN MAULDIN: An 'Alamo-like battle' is coming | Business Insider
- One scientist may have solved a mystery behind brain disorders like Alzheimer’s... | Business Insider