Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Former Hawkish Bank Of Israel Head Rumored To Be Next Fed Vice Chairman | ZeroHedge
- RBS: The Dumbest Bank Of 2013? | ZeroHedge
- Bitcoin Offers Free Currency Movement in China, for Now | Financial Sense
- USD Bid As Bonds, Bullion And Stock Bulls Battered | ZeroHedge
- Who Makes The Most Money? And How They Do It | ZeroHedge
- US-Backed Syrian "Rebel" Commander Chased Out Of Country By Al Qaeda | ZeroHedge
- 4 Reasons Growth Pains Will Replace Growth Gains in China | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US Futures Are Now In The Green | Business Insider
- Do Yourself A Favor And Outsource Christmas | Business Insider
- Report: Microsoft Is Eyeing Qualcomm's Steve Mollenkopf As Its Next CEO... | Business Insider
- There’s A Radical Message Behind The Auction Of A Vault Containing 8 Million... | Business Insider
- Bitcoin Startup Coinbase Gets $25 Million In Funding From The Most Influential... | Business Insider
- PAUL KRUGMAN: Our Skies Are Too Crowded For Amazon Drones | Business Insider
- LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner Explains The Difference Between Managers And Leaders | Business Insider