Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ECB Sets Up Biggest Contrarian Play of 2015 | Financial Sense
- President Obama's 'Middle Class Economics' Policy Simplified | ZeroHedge
- Fed-nado Crushes Stocks And Crude; Long Yields Hit Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Jim Cramer On The Only Conference Call Worth Listening To | ZeroHedge
- Greece's New FinMin Explains "This Is What Happens When You Humiliate A Nation & Give It No Hope" | ZeroHedge
- Unanimous Fed Remains "Patient" On Target To Normalize Rates, Expects Lower Inflation - Full Statement Redline | ZeroHedge
- Apple's Cash Is Now Greater Than The Market Cap Of These S&P500 Companies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The New Tesla Car Has A Button Called ‘Insane Mode’ — Here’s What Happens When... | Business Insider
- This Woman Endures Horrifying Rape And Death Threats For... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Apple Has Shipped One Billion iOS Devices (AAPL) | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 17 Buzzy Instagrammers You Should Be Following Right Now | Business Insider
- Budweiser Is Hoping This Cute Follow Up To Its ‘Puppy Love’ Ad Will Win The Super... | Business Insider