Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Happy 27th Anniversary Black Monday | ZeroHedge
- Stunning Scenes From California's Central Valley Drought | ZeroHedge
- The Wrong Idea About Inflation | Financial Sense
- Why Abenomics Failed: There Was A "Blind Spot From The Outset", Goldman Apologizes | ZeroHedge
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- This Wasn't Supposed To Happen | ZeroHedge
- Big Four Economic Indicators Near Stall Speed | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why the Oil Glut Is a Big Win for Consumers, Industrial Stocks Like Goodyear, Dow | TheStreet.com
- PODCAST: Everything You Need To Know About Apple's New iPads (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Apple Gets Ready to Show Off Its Latest iPad and More: Live Blog | TheStreet.com
- 17 Movies To See This Fall | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- McKenzie resigns as Australia rugby coach | Business Insider
- The Untold Story Of How Steve Jobs Re-Introduced His Signature Design Style To Apple... | Business Insider