Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia-China Gas Relationship on the Rocks | Financial Sense
- Bad Data... Buy It All | ZeroHedge
- Total Collapse: Greece Reverts To Barter Economy For First Time Since Nazi Occupation | ZeroHedge
- "Say A Little Prayer" Bill Gross Warns, "Zombie Corporations Now Roam The Real Economy" | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Bathtub Economics Brigade Blathers On, Part 1 | ZeroHedge
- Hackers Claim John McCain Knew ISIS Execution Videos Were Staged | ZeroHedge
- Debt Slaves: 7 Out Of 10 Americans Believe That Debt "Is A Necessity In Their Lives" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This map shows how some... | Business Insider
- Emergency dispatcher... | Business Insider
- The US is growing wary of the... | Business Insider
- Investigators scramble to analyse wreckage for MH370 link... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- EU opens anti-trust probe into FedEx/TNT Express merger | Business Insider
- Fast food chains are using apps to speed customers... | Business Insider