Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A-D Line Foretells Job Openings | Financial Sense
- Stop Bearing with Your Snooty Barista | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: September 2 | ZeroHedge
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- The Morning After: What Happens When A Government Destroys Its Currency | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Sentiment Bounces Back for August | Financial Sense
- Trading Treasuries In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hong Kong activists in fightback after China vote... | Business Insider
- Man Accused Of Leaking Naked Celebrity iCloud... | Business Insider
- Lesotho PM heading home after 'coup' | Business Insider
- Apple Just Unlocked A Big Mystery About How The App Store Works (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Album Sales In America Just Hit An All-Time Low | Business Insider
- Greece close to emerging from recession | Business Insider
- The Bad News Out Of Europe Is Intensifying (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider