Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russian Stocks Soar 17% - Most Since 2008; Ruble Back Below 62/USD | ZeroHedge
- Top Ranked Oil & Gas Plays | iBankCoin.com
- Who Are The Three Biggest Data Companies In the World? 1) Google 2) the Fed 3) JP Morgan/ECB | ZeroHedge
- Congress Has Guaranteed the Secular Bear Market Is Not Over | Financial Sense
- "Ruble Trading To Resume" | ZeroHedge
- Trade Ideas For Thursday | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap Dec 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chelsea reach League Cup semis, Saints crash | Business Insider
- MARCO RUBIO: Cuba Deal Part Of Obama's '... | Business Insider
- This Chart Shows The... | Business Insider
- A GENIUS ADMITS: We're The Loneliest People On Earth | Business Insider
- OIL IS SURGING (USO) | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer: These Charts Prove It's Oil-and-Gas vs. Everything Else | TheStreet.com
- Williamson hits century as New Zealand level series | Business Insider