Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
- Are Central Banks "Rigging" Rates or Dealing With Past Sins? | Financial Sense
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- Default Risk Soars After Ukraine's 'American' FinMin Suggests Severe Haircuts For Creditors (Including Russia) | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The Only Truly Compliant, Submissive Citizen In A Police State Is A Dead One | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Cars Poised to Transform Automotive Industry | Financial Sense
- Flows Into European Equities Reaches Feverish Pitch, Consolidation Likely Ahead | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Goldman's plan to take over Wall Street's commodities... | Business Insider
- Researchers at McGill say Facebook is polluted with fake 'Likes' (FB) | Business Insider
- Some of the most powerful people on the religious right say they might just... | Business Insider
- How Chuck Schumer rose to the top of the US Senate | Business Insider
- Nigerian voters try again after technical glitches | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, CVX,... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek