Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- North Korea Warns China Of "Catastrophic Consequences" For Siding With U.S. | ZeroHedge
- Is the US Workforce Nearing Full Recovery? | Financial Sense
- Your Complete Guide To Sunday's French Presidential Elections First Round | ZeroHedge
- There Will Be Blood: Left Prepares For War After Berkeley Beat Down With "Combat Training, Better Equipment, Guns..." | ZeroHedge
- China, India, and Japan Are Very Interested in Sri Lanka – Here’s Why | Financial Sense
- North Korea Arrests US Citizen, Threatens To Sink US Aircraft Carrier As Japan Deploys Warships | ZeroHedge
- China’s Credit Excess Is Unlike Anything The World Has Ever Seen | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider
- Sears just lost its CFO for the second time in 6 months ahead of a looming... | Business Insider
- Another senior staffer has left a struggling hedge fund... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- New technology could change the way the stock market operates... | Business Insider
- Amazon is discounting thousands of their warehouse deals for Earth Day — here... | Business Insider
- Trump is about to face his biggest test yet — and... | Business Insider