Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- QE’s Seeds Are Already Sown | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: Slowing of World Trade Growth and Globalization | Financial Sense
- Goldman Warns Midterm Elections Raise Risk Around Fiscal Deadlines | ZeroHedge
- Market Boosted by Caterpillar (CAT) Earnings | Financial Sense
- Fed Launches First Currency War Salvo, Tells ECB Not To Push Too Far | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- TED CRUZ: Here's The One Thing That Will Guarantee A Hillary Clinton Victory | Business Insider
- Russian ruble hits new dollar low despite rate rise | Business Insider
- Here's What Richard Branson Told Us About Virgin Galactic Just Last Month | Business Insider
- Here's A Detailed Look At How The Virgin Galactic Spacecraft Works | Business Insider
- Here's What IBM CEO Ginni Rometty Is Doing To Turn The Company Around | Business Insider
- Boko Haram says kidnapped schoolgirls 'married off' | Business Insider
- Michigan's AD Has Resigned Which Is Going To Spark Rumors That Jim... | Business Insider