Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Arms Trade Treaty: What Is It And Why Does It Matter? | ZeroHedge
- Here’s Why Women Feel Underemployed (Hint: It’s All in the Major) | Financial Sense
- Expect Another Strong Employment Report Next Week | ZeroHedge
- More Than Twice as Many Americans “Strongly Disapprove” of Obama as “Strongly Approve” | ZeroHedge
- White House Scrambles To 'Clarify' Obama's "ISIS Strategy" | ZeroHedge
- German Finance Minister Tells EU Leaders: Free Money Party's Over | ZeroHedge
- Pakistan Faces (Another) Military Coup As PM Charged With Murder | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's How Much A Gallon Of Gas Costs Across The Country | Business Insider
- A New Hotel Chain Wants Guests To Relive Their College Glory Days | Business Insider
- REPORT: The FBI Is Probing Whether Russia Hacked US Banks In Retaliation For Sanctions | Business Insider
- 'France needs you': PM professes love for business | Business Insider
- Here's A Quick Guide To What Traders Are Chatting About Right Now (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ)... | Business Insider
- After... | StreetInsider.com
- Apple's iWatch Isn't Shipping Until Next Year (AAPL) | Business Insider