Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- More Whipsaw Please | iBankCoin.com
- A Ramble on PR | ZeroHedge
- Is U.S. Media Coverage of Ukraine and Syria Even WORSE than Its Coverage of Iraq? | ZeroHedge
- Krugman, Who Is Paid $25,000/Month To Study Inequality, Says "Nobody Wants Us To Become Cuba" | ZeroHedge
- What Oil War Premium? | ZeroHedge
- New Jobless Claims Plunge to 300K, Much Better Than Forecast | Financial Sense
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 11 Worst Body Language Mistakes Professionals Make | Business Insider
- Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich Gives Classic 46-Word Press Conference After... | Business Insider
- A Waze Exec Says A US Airways Employee Sent Her These Harassing Texts... | Business Insider
- This 50-Year Chart Of Horses And Mules Teaches Us Something Very Important About Disruptive... | Business Insider
- How To Hack Siri And Make It A Million Times More Useful | Business Insider
- 23 Awesome Photos Of Musicians Performing At Coachella | Business Insider
- 13 REPORTED DEAD IN MOUNT EVEREST DISASTER | Business Insider